Which TV should I get?

hertzy

CAGiversary!
I have a couple of options and I want some help. Should I go with:

Mitsubishi 62" - lcd projection, 2 hdmi ports, 1080i, 720p, 480p
Sony Grand Wega 50" - lcd projection, 2 hdmi ports, 1080p/i, 720p, 480p
Samsung 42" - plasma, 2 hdmi ports, 1080i, 720p, 480p
Toshiba 42" - lcd, 2 hdmi ports, 1080p/i, 720p, 480p

With some of your guy's knowledge, which would be best for 360 gaming and eventually ps3? Plus, I was hoping to future proof. What do you guys think is best out of these four choices?

[quote name='hertzy']I have a couple of options and I want some help. Should I go with:

With some of your guy's knowledge, which would be best for 360 gaming and eventually ps3? Plus, I was hoping to future proof. What do you guys think is best out of these four choices?[/quote]
This may sound dumb to you, but look for a CRT HDTV they are slowy phasing for some reason but they will only run you about $400 bucks and never have hot pixels.

[quote name='fuzz']This may sound dumb to you, but look for a CRT HDTV they are slowy phasing for some reason but they will only run you about $400 bucks and never have hot pixels.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it seems that he is wanting a larger screen. Largest CRTs you can get any longer are 34 inches, unless you mean Rear Projection CRTs and the only ones left of those are piece of shit brands like RCA that you will find at walmart. . Ill take my chances with "hot" pixels any day of the week over geometry and ghosting issues.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Yeah, but it seems that he is wanting a larger screen. Largest CRTs you can get any longer are 34 inches, unless you mean Rear Projection CRTs and the only ones left of those are piece of shit brands like RCA that you will find at walmart. . Ill take my chances with "hot" pixels any day of the week over geometry and ghosting issues.[/QUOTE]

Some good companies are still making them. Hitichai (sp?) make a great model for about $1k that has a feature built in that will re-calibrate itself. Every time you run it. and has great reviews.

[quote name='Graystone']Some good companies are still making them. Hitichai (sp?) make a great model for about $1k that has a feature built in that will re-calibrate itself. Every time you run it. and has great reviews.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Hitachi makes good stuff. I think the only major retailer that carries their projos and longer is Circuit City.

[quote name='hertzy']I have a couple of options and I want some help. Should I go with:

With some of your guy's knowledge, which would be best for 360 gaming and eventually ps3? Plus, I was hoping to future proof. What do you guys think is best out of these four choices?[/QUOTE]

If you REALLY want to futureproof with Flat Screen fuck em' all and WAIT for SED. If not and you're set about Future proofing you'll regret it when you see SED's in action. As for the people who don't like me constantly bringing up he said "Futureproof" so I figured he deserved to be warned as such.
I'll break it down for you, every one of those technologies you listed, the picture can't match up to the SED's. Each have their own issue though the prevailing one's seem to be a problem putting out pure blacks that the CRT's and SED's can which no other technology manages to do.

[quote name='Sarang01']If you REALLY want to futureproof with Flat Screen fuck em' all and WAIT for SED. If not and you're set about Future proofing you'll regret it when you see SED's in action. As for the people who don't like me constantly bringing up he said "Futureproof" so I figured he deserved to be warned as such.
I'll break it down for you, every one of those technologies you listed, the picture can't match up to the SED's. Each have their own issue though the prevailing one's seem to be a problem putting out pure blacks that the CRT's and SED's can which no other technology manages to do.[/QUOTE]
Nobody here should be able to afford a SED when it's released or even years after it's released. Plus, nobody knows what kind of defects it will have until the first SED's are actually available to the consumer.

And there are issues with the longevity of the picture.

[quote name='fuzz']This may sound dumb to you, but look for a CRT HDTV they are slowy phasing for some reason but they will only run you about $400 bucks and never have hot pixels.[/QUOTE]
I'm intrigued. Can you suggest any specific tvs?

[quote name='fuzz']This may sound dumb to you, but look for a CRT HDTV they are slowy phasing for some reason but they will only run you about $400 bucks and never have hot pixels.[/quote]
[quote name='BIG5']I'm intrigued. Can you suggest any specific tvs?[/quote]
This is what I did last November, hoping the PS3 would come out in early 2006 (that obviously didn't happen).

But I did get it for a good price at the time. $599, no tax, at the navy exchange for a 30" JVC CRT.

I hope to replace it with a 40"-50" plasma within 2-3 years when prices have dropped.

As far as what CRT's to go for, they are a dying breed and your best chance to get a tube is NOW. Stay away from the Phillips tv's (new and refurbs), Toshiba's, and Samsung Slimfit, and the usual cheap brands. The best tubes to get are made by Sony. Panasonic and JVC also make decent tubes.

Check out the avsforum for much better help. You'll learn a lot more over there.

i just got myself a cheap lcd to (hopefully) last me a little while..Its a Westinghouse 40" LCD with the builtin dvd (which i dont use since i have a upconverting one already) The Contrast is on the low side but my i have no complaints here

total paid was only $1073 before a $100 rebate from Directv for the HD receiver i had to buy in order to get a $250 discount plus i had a 12% coupon at the time so in the end its $973...

only gripe i have is that my controller for my sony dvd likes to control the tv dvd and even the logitech 360 one likes to do the same so i have to block the sensor when i play dvds...not too much of a hassle though considering the price i paid

I recommend this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-50-rdquo-LCD-Projection-HDTV-KDF-50E2000/sem/rpsm/oid/152441/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

$1620

Then use this coupon:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=134935&c=1&cm_re=right%20module-_-Print%20and%20save%20store-only%20coupons-_-see%20all%20in-store%20coupons

For an additional $150 off for a total of $1470.

Not too bad.

I bought a Hitachi 55' lcd proj. tv when CC was phasing them out. I got the sale price plus a coupon from CC and had Sears price match it with 10% of the difference. So my total came out to $1760 before tax. I have to say that the picture is amazing with the Xbox 360.

The reason I asked about these tv's is because the tv I bought from sears took a shit. Luckily I had a warranty. They gave me $2200 credit and these four tv's looked the best for that price range(2000-2500) at sears. I really like the size of the projection screens, but is projection hdtv's outdated or let's put it this way, lesser technology than a plasma or lcd? Should I only be looking at the latter?

[quote name='chaarlieee']

And there are issues with the longevity of the picture.[/QUOTE]

I SEVERELY doubt that and if there were I suspect it would last as long as a CRT since we're talking the same tech. If not it's still worth it more than anything else on the market flatscreenwise. SED's dominating or at least heartily surviving the market after tube CRT's die I'd be a LOT more comfortable than some of these inferior technologies winning and leaving me with no truly perfect picture standard with which to watch dvd, play video games or watch TV on.

[quote name='Sarang01']I SEVERELY doubt that and if there were I suspect it would last as long as a CRT since we're talking the same tech. If not it's still worth it more than anything else on the market flatscreenwise. SED's dominating or at least heartily surviving the market after tube CRT's die I'd be a LOT more comfortable than some of these inferior technologies winning and leaving me with no truly perfect picture standard with which to watch dvd, play video games or watch TV on.[/QUOTE]
Do a google search for "sed picture longevity" and read through some of the results. You don't even have to click on the links, just read right off the search page.

I don't know if this is just old news, but I don't think a bunch of websites would put up false information.

[quote name='Sarang01']I SEVERELY doubt that and if there were I suspect it would last as long as a CRT since we're talking the same tech. If not it's still worth it more than anything else on the market flatscreenwise. SED's dominating or at least heartily surviving the market after tube CRT's die I'd be a LOT more comfortable than some of these inferior technologies winning and leaving me with no truly perfect picture standard with which to watch dvd, play video games or watch TV on.[/QUOTE]
You're right. What I said about longevity was about OLED's.

[quote name='hertzy']The reason I asked about these tv's is because the tv I bought from sears took a shit. Luckily I had a warranty. They gave me $2200 credit and these four tv's looked the best for that price range(2000-2500) at sears. I really like the size of the projection screens, but is projection hdtv's outdated or let's put it this way, lesser technology than a plasma or lcd? Should I only be looking at the latter?[/quote] Seriously, go over to the avsforum and you'll get much better help. You don't have to register unless you want to post.

Here's a link discussing plasma vs. lcd, check out post #271 (should be at the top of the page):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=668988&page=10&pp=30

Personally, I'm getting a plasma in 2 to 3 years. I look for higher picture quality overall.

And if you know somebody who has a military ID or costco membership, try to have them buy the TV for you during the holidays this winter. They have some great sales on electronics around this time.

[quote name='gdw3877']I recommend this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-50-rdquo-LCD-Projection-HDTV-KDF-50E2000/sem/rpsm/oid/152441/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

$1620

Then use this coupon:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=134935&c=1&cm_re=right%20module-_-Print%20and%20save%20store-only%20coupons-_-see%20all%20in-store%20coupons

For an additional $150 off for a total of $1470.

Not too bad.

[/QUOTE]

I picked this one up a few months back at Costco for about $1900 with a stand. Im extremely happy with it. My 360, HD Cable and Upscaling DVD player all look amazing on it.

I'll also vouch for a CRT (and I believe they go up to 37 inches, but Sony's CRTs only go up to 34). I own this one and it really looks outstanding. If you can handle the weight (almost 200 lbs) and depth of it (about 14 inches IIRC), you won't find a better looking medium-sized HDTV. Picture quality is noticably better than most LCDs and plasmas in the 30-40 inch range, mostly due to the "true blacks" that it can produce.

Really, outside of there only being one HDMI slot and the size/weight of the thing, it's all benefits. The price is especially appealing once you throw a coupon on top of it. That particular TV was just on sale for $940, it won't take long for it to go back on sale again.

bread's done
Back