which version should i get?

sportsmaniac095

CAG Veteran
I have a ps2, and was wondering which should i get : the mgs4 bundle, or the 80gb ps3?? Also for the mgs4 bundle does it have ps2 ports built into it? What are the major differences between the 2? Also should i buy an extended warranty when i go to buy one from circuit city? Thanks!

i believe the mgs4 bundle has software backwards compatibility and i know that the new bundle does not. Besides that, the only difference between the 2 is that the new one might be using a smaller chip, has 2 fewer usb ports and no flash reader.

I have no idea what you mean by "ps2 ports built into it," but if you mean does it include the ps2 games, then no it does not. If you mean the physical ports (like for the controller or memory card), then the answer is still no. There are no ps3 bundles that include the physical ps2 ports. The 60 and the old 80 (including the mgs4 bundle) had a flash card reader (memory stick, sd, and compaq flash i think), but nothing else.

It would be best to ask this within the CAQ thread stickied, however, here's my thought.

IMO, if you have a PS2 and are okay with it, just buy an 80GB PS3 without MGS4. Yes it may have no PS2 BC, but I personally feel it's best to not bother with it (unless you never had a PS2 before or you desperately want an all in one machine) because it draws less power, you don't have to worry about a firmware update screwing with compatibility of games (ALL PS3 SKUs have this problem), it's a pain trying to get most PS2 accessories to work on PS3 (some won't work like GH guitar for the 2nd and above), and so on.

I feel it's an excellent deal at $400 and that's the best one to get (you may lose two USB ports, SACD support, card readers), but they are not needed. IMO, since I got a PS3 (even one with PS2 BC), I rarely use it because once I played PS3 games on an HDTV (PS3 is also starting to build a much better collection of games compared to before), it's tough going back (It's best IMO to just leave a PS2 hooked up to an SDTV, that's where it looks the best).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It would be best to ask this within the CAQ thread stickied, however, here's my thought.

IMO, if you have a PS2 and are okay with it, just buy an 80GB PS3 without MGS4. Yes it may have no PS2 BC, but I personally feel it's best to not bother with it (unless you never had a PS2 before or you desperately want an all in one machine) because it draws less power, you don't have to worry about a firmware update screwing with compatibility of games (ALL PS3 SKUs have this problem), it's a pain trying to get most PS2 accessories to work on PS3 (some won't work like GH guitar for the 2nd and above), and so on.

I feel it's an excellent deal at $400 and that's the best one to get (you may lose two USB ports, SACD support, card readers), but they are not needed. IMO, since I got a PS3 (even one with PS2 BC), I rarely use it because once I played PS3 games on an HDTV (PS3 is also starting to build a much better collection of games compared to before), it's tough going back (It's best IMO to just leave a PS2 hooked up to an SDTV, that's where it looks the best).[/quote]

I bought the MGS4 bundle for 3 main reasons: 1) MGS4 pack in - I wanted a AAA title pack in 2) DS3 pack in rather than SIXAXIS - the MGS4 was the only bundle at the time that had it 3) Backwards compatibility - even though I didn't have a big PS2 library I *felt* i needed this.

After a few months, I've found that, for me, backwards compatibility was overrated. The two PS2 games I really wanted to play, GT4 and Rock Band II, had a set of problems making them basically unplayable on the MGS4 bundle PS3.

I did sell my PS2 to help raise $$ to get the PS3 and I don't regret it as I'll probably end up getting GT5 Prologue and Rock Band as replacements. But I do feel I was let down based on what I expected from B/C.

Having said that, I do like having 4 USB ports. Between my USB camera, USB headset, USB keyboard, and frequent use of a USB drive I feel they are needed.

I think I'd be torn today with the choices facing you. You could by the $399 system, add a USB hub if you needed it, and then spend the remaining $70 or so on a game you really want if you're not into MGS4 (which is a great, if complex, game).

If you think you'll want MGS4 soon, I'd go for that bundle.

So kind of a mixed message there. Don't get the MGS4 bundle for b/c unless you're certain the game will work. I'd still go with Mana Knight on this one and say keep your PS2 if there is a game you *have* to play.

As for extended warranties. I never buy them. Never. That's just my approach.

Good luck and make sure you get involved in some CAG gaming nights when you get your PS3!

Dr. SP

[quote name='Paco']You do know you can just use any usb hub on the PS3.[/quote]
If you are directing that at me, yes I do know. I do mention it in my message. :)

I was under the same scenario a week ago. Decided on the MSG4 bundle and love it. I like the extra goodies, wanted the shock controller and the game and my wife can still play her singstar games while I can sell my old PS2 setup. All is good.

[quote name='thespamofpower']i believe the mgs4 bundle has software backwards compatibility and i know that the new bundle does not. Besides that, the only difference between the 2 is that the new one might be using a smaller chip, has 2 fewer usb ports and no flash reader.

I have no idea what you mean by "ps2 ports built into it," but if you mean does it include the ps2 games, then no it does not. If you mean the physical ports (like for the controller or memory card), then the answer is still no. There are no ps3 bundles that include the physical ps2 ports. The 60 and the old 80 (including the mgs4 bundle) had a flash card reader (memory stick, sd, and compaq flash i think), but nothing else.[/QUOTE]

Unless there are multiple versions out there I think the MGS4 bundle does in fact have the new smaller chips in it. The power consumption and general silence of my MGS4 PS3 suggests that and I think I've read in a few places that it does have the 65nm processors.

So if that is true the only differences between the MGS4 bundle and the new 80gig are the following:

2 extra USB ports
Memory Card clots (SD/Compact Flash, Sony Memory stick if I recall correctly)
Partial backwards compatibility for PS2 games.

I wouldn't hunt down a MGS4 bundle for playing PS2 games though. It has been hit or miss if any of my old PS2 games work 100 percent.

For me at least I've found the memory card readers useful as well as the extra built in USB ports.

Both of those extra hardware features can easily be overcome by buying various accesories for the PS3 though.

[quote name='Paco']Sorry, I didn't read it all the way. I went to microwave some dinner.[/quote]
hahah microwave dinner. Get what ever system you want they all play ps3 games and bd movies.

bread's done
Back