White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

This game is fun when you're playing with other people. Josh and I played one of the harder quests with a couple of his friends. It was a lot of fun but he got RAPED by the wind dragon at the end. I was an hero.

[quote name='IRHari']This game is fun when you're playing with other people. Josh and I played one of the harder quests with a couple of his friends. It was a lot of fun but he got RAPED by the wind dragon at the end. I was an hero.[/QUOTE]
Don't skew the facts. And, we did go back and kill it.

lol we all got raped, me especially. i was joking (last night too). I just stood back spamming dudes with heals cause I'm a really low level.

Yeah I've gotten a little higher so I should be able to contribute, if only a little bit. Hit Level 35 today and I'm at the last dungeon, so it should be interesting.

If you guys didn't know, timing the battle gauge when doing combos will do significantly more damage compared to just mashing on X.

Eh. I'm not digging this game too much. After all the wait I'm a bit disappointed in it. I absolutely hate the story, and the combat could be better, more varied and tougher. Online saves it a bit for me though. Everybody can add me to the Geonet list.

Sounds like Thongsy will never get to see the ending. Which is a good thing. It had a huge Empire Strikes Back nothing is resolved cliffhanger. Except it was bad.

Yeah, ending was so unsatisfying.

I hope part 2 makes it over but unless the online is different, or really beefed up, I'll wait to play, if only to resolve the story.

It seems to me that it is more fun to upgrade and equip your characters than it is to use them.

If not for playing the online functions with friends, I doubt that I would finish the game. The big enemies were really neat while I was in the first area.. but then I realized that every one of them is pretty much the same enemy. Golem = Troll, Dragon = Cerberus, and the strategy to kill them all is exactly the same. If the combat was a bit faster paced, I think I'd like it more.

WKC borrowed so heavily from FFXII, the parts they didn't take - like the Gambit system - are really noticeable to me - I ended up turning off high level AOE healing magics on my NPC healer because they kept using +Heal II when a single character needed healing; they kept burning all their magic points. I often notice that only my character is actually fighting enemies; much of the time the other NPCs get into pathing loops and just walk back and forth rather than help.

Nitpick.. but I'm annoyed by the collision issue with a Cloak + longsowrd combo; I'm aware of the technical difficulties regarding cloak movement.. But could there be a more obvious graphical glitch than that? You stare at the back of your character 80% of combat.

I guess I'm disappointed that a game that was hyped up for so long wound up so middle-of-the-road.

[quote name='cochesecochese']How? Triple ECA stack?[/QUOTE]

Ended up picking up a used copy that had been opened once, but the person didn't like it

Yeah, I know about that link. I'm in Greede in NG+ right now, but since I got up to GR8 I need to go get that gear for myself.

What rank are you, dallow? We should play together sometime.

[quote name='dallow']NewGame+ can be beaten pretty quickly. Get to the midway point in less than 4 hours.[/QUOTE]

Wow! What do they do to NG+ that shortens it so much?

Although, now that I think about it, if I skip all the cut scenes, that would probably shave a few hours off of my play time.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Wow! What do they do to NG+ that shortens it so much?

Although, now that I think about it, if I skip all the cut scenes, that would probably shave a few hours off of my play time.[/QUOTE]

Skip the cutscenes and since you're such a high level and all the enemies are the same as the first playthrough, I just run through dungeons without fighting anything.

The mission after the late title card is long, as that map is gigantic. I'm liking it despite it missing some of the things I liked in FFXII (focus lines and the gambit system). I tried out the GeoNet stuff, though I don't think I'm far enough to do Georama or anything else outside of quests.

Feel free to add me on GeoNet, which my name should be the same as my PSN name (CrashSpyro).

After the opening 'events' (don't want to spoil them) you'll see a bunch of cut scenes and the late title card. At this point you'll be able to access GeoNet via save points.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Yeah, I know about that link. I'm in Greede in NG+ right now, but since I got up to GR8 I need to go get that gear for myself.

What rank are you, dallow? We should play together sometime.[/QUOTE]
Only seriously started online quests yesterday but I'm halfway to GR7.
Then begins the real grind.

Yeah, I'll see ya online.

This game is an infinite grind. Oh I'm almost at GR7 then the REAL game begins. Oh shit, I'll unlock even more quests at GR8? And I can use more weapons too? Time to grind some more! Oh shit I can reincarnate for more stats at level 50!! Time to grind!

Just jumped into the game yesterday. I love the online portion and loathe the single player game, but I need to play through that some to get more quests opened up, I suppose.

If anyone wants to group up with a newbie sometime, feel free to add me.

GnarGnarGnar is my PSN, Wrynn is my character name in game. I am playing a healer.

After playing some more, I absolutely hate the story and hate Leonard. I can't even bring my self to play it because of how much I hate Leonard now.

Yeah...
I guess it has been a while since I have played a JRPG. But coming off of Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 as my last two RPG's, this is almost unbearable. Every time a cutscene comes up (every 3.2 minutes), I wince.

The hologram-projecting bird and the dance on the water was the nail in the coffin for me. I find myself skipping cutscenes and just looking for the star on my map.

It is a shame, because I am having fun leveling my avatar, hunting down gear mats, and questing online.

Another byproduct of this type of setup is that I do not give a crap about any of the other characters at all. Most of them have tons of points unspent, outdated armor, etc. Cause I just dont care to spend the time on it. I am simply rushing through the game only to open up new quests for the online mode.

Speaking of which... how long is the single player campaign?

First time is about 30 hours, that's if you explore and watch everything.
If you rush, significantly less.
Game is real easy and all bosses are pushovers.

Since I finally got a small bit of headway in this game (only up to level 15, but still a decent start) I'm starting to accumulate a few quests. My character's name is Nirron, but my GeoNet id is, of course, the same as my PSN ID, so if anyone feels like a'questin' I would most definitely be up for it.

I agree the main story does suck and it only gets worse near the end ,but I am enjoying the online aspect of the game. I hit guild rank 7 last night and some of the quests are starting to get more difficult.

My PSN ID is under my name, my town name is ChanceW1984 Ville and my character name is Vila. I will be on tonight so feel free to add me.

One good thing about this game is that it reminded me I had a copy of Rogue Galaxy for PS2 I'd never played. Hopefully I can finish it before FFXIII hits.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']One good thing about this game is that it reminded me I had a copy of Rogue Galaxy for PS2 I'd never played. Hopefully I can finish it before FFXIII hits.[/QUOTE]
5 hours in and Rogue Galaxy already has a betting story and characters than all of White Knight Chronicles...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ragnorok64']5 hours in and Rogue Planet already has a betting story and characters than all of White Knight Chronicles...[/QUOTE]

Ouch... I forgot that Rogue Galaxy had a story about half way through playing it...

I think I'm done with WKC. I was okay with the lack of story but the grind started getting to me. The true online experience doesn't seem to start until GR8 and to go from GR7 to GR8 I calculated that it would take approx 6-7 hours of straight doing missions to rank up.

[quote name='LordVila']I think I'm done with WKC. I was okay with the lack of story but the grind started getting to me. The true online experience doesn't seem to start until GR8 and to go from GR7 to GR8 I calculated that it would take approx 6-7 hours of straight doing missions to rank up.[/QUOTE]

Yea grind fest is insane :( I put in some GR grind here and there between other games I've got

I might be halfway through and this game's story is definitely terrible. I'm
trying to find the lizard to repair the goddess statue

I beat the game the other night. I don't think they could have ended it in a more 'fuck you, customer' kind of way.

All stories have five elements - introduction, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution - In my opinion, WKC ended at the rising action. they built up everything to the moment at the end, and then didn't do anything with it.

Man, do I ever regret wasting my money on this game..

[quote name='BattleChicken']
All stories have five elements - introduction, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution - In my opinion, WKC ended at the rising action. they built up everything to the moment at the end, and then didn't do anything with it.
[/QUOTE]
It's part of a trilogy. Of course, it's going to end with a bit of a cliffhanger to make you want more. This sort of thing happens in movies and books all the time.
They did get resolution as far as the princess which was the main point of the first story. The second story will likely deal with the war between the two kingdoms and the final story with the final resolution of the knights' story.

bread's done
Back