White or Black DS?

Spades22

CAGiversary!
Which color do you guys use and why is it better? I want to get a DS, but I heard the Black one scratches easy and gets smudges or something...however I figured the black might look better and also maybe easier to look at compared to the white background.

Any suggestions??

The DS Lite's screen is so crisp and bright that the white/black background issue is negligible at most. So IMHO, your decision shouldn't be based too heavily on that. The scratch/smudge issue on the black one seems to be a universal complaint, but I agree with you in thinking it would at least look cool as long as you're willing to give it a wipedown once you're finished playing. I went with the white mainly because I dig white and I am a nut about smudges and whatnot and would not want to deal with wiping down my DS after every sitting. If they had a matte finish instead of glossy, I would have likely gone with black...but as-is, white was the way to go, for me, so that's my vote for you as well.

What, you're not considering pink? :)

I have black, and that's the color I'll always recommend to anyone who wants a DS Lite. For the most part, I find that smudge thing to be crap, as it's not as bad as most people make it out to be. Yes, it does get some, but it's not like it's terrible amount of them (unless you really touchy feely with your DS...which is just creepy). And besides, the white one gets them to, you just don't see them as well. What's the big deal in having smudges anyway? Do you really care how the outside of the system looks anyway? If so, you should probably get the black one anyway, because then at least the smudges will be easier to see, and you can clean it easier.

And as for my anti-white argument, sure, it might look nice at first, but over time, which one do you think is gonna look better? Black may get smudges and stuff, but white stains, so in the long run I can guarantee you that a black one will look better than a white one.

So I vote for black, and those are my reasons why. While I want you to pick black, you're gonna win either way, as you're getting one of the best handhelds ever!

White. I usually prefer black and waited to get a GBA Advance until they had the onyx. But there is something mystifying about the DS in white.

My husband is getting me a pink one, I am very happy. Does it show the fingerprints like the black or is it more like the white one which I already have. Mickey

White. I was always a black console guy but when the DS Lite came out I didn't have the choice. I thought I wouldn't like it but it really looks slick. I also like that I can't see smudges as well as you would on black. I hate the way the PSP shows everything. White.

Black may smudge, but I find the stains on my white ds to be more irritating. Accidentally got blood on it once (don't ask, I don't know how either) and I can still see traces of it on the R-button, fun times.

I have white but would of got the black one if I waited. The white one shows its wear around the edges where the clear plastic and white part meets. That may sound confusing but just go with the black. Trust me.

I have a white one, and my fiancee has a black one. I would recommend black. As others have mentioned, you can see smudges easier on it, but over time, my white DS is starting to get stained. The R and L keys are slightly discolored, and the rubber feet on the bottom are turning pink (??). I treat my system very well, so I'm assuming it's just something that is bound to happen over time.

Plus black looks cool. :)

Used to have a white. Sold it back in the day. Bought a black one for Pokemon. Can't go wrong either way.

With the white one, you see dirt build-up more easily (from your hands). With the black one, smudges are a bitch.

I thiink I like the black better though...smudging still bothers me, but not too bad. Just clean it off after you're done playing.

Back in the day? The Lite hasn't been out very long. :lol:

Black. I love the look, and the Joytech Playarmor or whatever it's called solves the smudge problem.

[quote name='mickeyp']My husband is getting me a pink one, I am very happy. Does it show the fingerprints like the black or is it more like the white one which I already have. Mickey[/quote]

You can barely see the fingerprint smudges on the pink one.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Back in the day? The Lite hasn't been out very long. :lol:

Black. I love the look, and the Joytech Playarmor or whatever it's called solves the smudge problem.[/QUOTE]

I bought the Lite on launch day then sold it like a year later because I found I never played the damn thing.

Also, can you link me to this playarmor business? Is it a case? Plastic sticker thing?

Well I think I'll go for Black. Should get my DS this week sometime hopefully.

I'd sooner deal with a few smudges than permanent stains on a white DS as said through many of these posts, plus I like the look of the Black one more anyway. Although I'm considering Pink right now...I'd be the first man to have a pink DS in my possession and play it obsessively!

The problem with the white one is that the white matte parts do yellow. It won't be a problem in the black version.

[quote name='2Fast']Needs poll.[/quote]

I was going to put one, but it was late and I searched for about 2 seconds then gave up :D

[quote name='Spades22']Although I'm considering Pink right now...I'd be the first man to have a pink DS in my possession and play it obsessively![/quote]

I Approve! :)

Dark blue one from Overseas...

is the one that I wish i had.

(I currently own a black one though, and had a white one stolen from me :( )

the black one doesnt scratch any easier than the other colors, it does however show smudges and such a lot easier. at the same time, its also a lot cooler, so i say go with black.

After reading a different thread that led me to this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125790

I got the Armorlite for my Onyx DS and I could not be happier. It snaps on very nicely and presents smudging on the actual DS itself. The two things that kinda bother me are that it does not allow the DS to close completely...like 2mm gap, and it's kind of a pain to take the DS out of the Armorlite once it's in, but for $10, you can't go wrong.

I've got a black one and a Hori wipe sheet. I baby my electronics and use it to shine that bitch up whenever I'm done playing with it. Had a white before but got sick of it. Go black.

[quote name='trunksx34']Dark blue one from Overseas...

is the one that I wish i had.

(I currently own a black one though, and had a white one stolen from me :( )[/QUOTE] Yeah, I love mine.

I'd go for pink, here.

Well my hands usually don't get greasy/sweaty when I play games...so I don't think, or hope, that I won't get as many smudges as some of you :D

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Is E3 over yet? I would wait until after E3. They might announce some new colors.[/quote]

Nope, July 11-13.

They will probably bring Navy and some other colors over after E3 and then near the end of the year introduce a DS with bigger screens.

[quote name='briandadude']Nope, July 11-13.

They will probably bring Navy and some other colors over after E3 and then near the end of the year introduce a DS with bigger screens.[/quote]

A DS with bigger screens?

How would game x run on both a DS Lite with say 4 inch screens and a new DS with 5 inch screens?

And they certainly won't introduce a new generation of handhelds.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']A DS with bigger screens?

How would game x run on both a DS Lite with say 4 inch screens and a new DS with 5 inch screens?

And they certainly won't introduce a new generation of handhelds.[/quote]
Probably a lot like the way they run GBA games on SPs and micros.

Haha, I don't know! Just thought I'd throw the idea out there...

[quote name='briandadude']Probably a lot like the way they run GBA games on SPs and micros.

Haha, I don't know! Just thought I'd throw the idea out there...[/quote]

True. I'm just reminded of playing gameboy games and the GBA screen... and how terribly stretched out you could make it.

Ya...see though, I'm trading in 6 games worth a TIV of over 8$ and getting a DS for free in Canada's EB Games deal currently going on. So I'll be getting it Monday or Tuesday (1 or 2 days) and it will cost me only...50$ Canadian with tax, 65 if you count my other game I bought awhile ago. (The other 5 I got for 7-10$ each just for the deal, so thats 50 with tax). So thats like 40 American...which is quite a good deal for a 180 dollar Canadian DS with tax :p

Otherwise I would wait till July...but ya, sooner have a DS 65% off or so and black than 0% and blue :D

Yep, definitely go with black. Like what Rockgamer stated in the second reply, white is going to get stained and dirty over time. So, if you want scrub up like a surgeon before you play a white DS, and scrub up every 20 to 30 min. of play, then I would go with black. Natural oils and sweat from your hands will discolor the white DS over time. You could wipe the white DS down after every time you use it to prolong this, but then why not get black and wipe down smudges anyway and it won't get discolored?

As for wiping off smudges, I have found using one of the lens cleaning/storage bags for sunglasses, works awesome! Like the little bags you get with Oakley shades... They leave 0 lint and 0 scrathces. Papertowels tend scratch and leave lint all over.

Not only that, but my black DS makes me look like a tough guy when I am playing Pokemon Diamond!!! :lol:

Black. Yes it does smudge but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have a friend with a white one and I see hers all the time in comparison to mine, and I never regretted my decision. White looks cool too, but I prefer the slick black.

Ya I actually like the Pokemon GBA/DS games...but I don't know if I want to play it then have to withstand the teasing from siblings/friends xD

I go back an forth on this all the time. I had a DS phat, and sold that before the white DS lite came out. Still have that bad boy, and have wavered on getting the black as I prefer the color. I too have heard the complaints about smudges, but I could care less. I have even thought about getting the pink for the heck of it. What do I care. Anyhow, still have my white DS and I think about getting one of the other colors all the time. Normally it isn't such a big issue, but I think that this is one that I think about often.

bread's done
Back