Who are the funniest living comedians?

Tommie Chong, Jim Gaffigan, Jeff Foxworthy, Dave Chappelle, Larry the Cable guy, definitely George Carlin, but many great ones still around, unfortunately not george...

Everybody who named Louis C.K. is correct.
I'll throw a shout out to Greg Fitzsimmons as well.
One more? Sure!

THE AMAZING JONATHAN!

[quote name='lmz00']I can't believe only one person has mentioned George Lopez so far.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked he got that many nominations.

As for my list:

Louis Black
Jeff Dunham
Dana Gould
John Caparulo (this one surprised me)

Also everyone JoeCamNet mentioned.

Mike Birbiglia and Greg Behrendt make my list as people nobody mentioned yet.

But I'll second Daniel Tosh, Demetri Martin, Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan and Stephen Lynch.

1. Daniel Tosh (not a big fan of his Comedy Central show)
2. Tom Papa
3. Dave Chappell
4. Rodney Carrington
5. Don Rickles

This is in no particular order ... however, I like the stand up, so I have to give propers to Louis C.K., Chris Rock, Jim Norton and even Jeff Dunham ....

special mention is also given to Achmed the Dead Terrorist, his stand up on Jeff Dunham's show made me laugh - as well as Mel Silverback on the Last Comic Standing Auditions a couple of years ago....

Zack Galifiniakis
Dave Attell
Lewis Black
David Cross
Dana Gould

I also love Dave Chappelle, Nick Swardson, Brian Posehn, Jim Gaffigan, Demetri Martin, The Amazing Jonathan, and Colin Quinn.

Eugene "Horsedick" Mirman
Mike Birbigaboo
Lewis Black
Flight of the Conchords
and of course as many others have said...Bill Cosby

Not sure if this counts, but anything that comes out of their mouths make me laugh my ass off:
Bill O'Reilly
Rush Limbaugh
;)

Wow, lots of the more recent posts are guys I'd consider 2nd or 3rd tier funny, the Gaffigans, Martins, Tosh, Black. Those are funny guys, but if I had $40 in my wallet and could only see one of those guys perform, or go see Cosby perform, I'll be at the Cosby venue every single time.

I left Joe Koy out of my hack list (with Dane Cook, Mencia, Dunham, etc). I friggin hate that guy.

Also surprised a guy I personally don't like, but lots of my friends love, Russell Peters, hasn't been mentioned.

A much lesser known guy that pretty much make me laugh every time is Ryan Stout (YouTube him)

[quote name='The Crotch']You Yankee swine![/QUOTE]

I mean Colin Mochrie and Russell Peters, of course.

Dave Chappelle
Chris Rock
Sebastian Maniscalco
Michael Palasak
Bret Ernst

There were some funny dudes on the Cedric special during the NBA All-Star weekend, too (the special from Showtime), but I don't recall any of their names.

There is only one: Bob Odenkirk.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Only one mention of Eddie Izzard? You guys should be ashamed. Best stand up ever.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I remember he used to do his shows in drag (probably still does). I was deadset on trying to not laugh at him because his drag appearance made me think he was going to try too hard or be a novelty/gimmick comedian. But he knocked it out of the park. Very intelligent comedy too, like even better than vintage Robin Williams. I just saw on Netflix that there's a lot of his stand-ups available to stream.

Yeah Izzard's "cake or death" bit had me rolling the first time i heard it. I really wish The Riches hadn't been canceled.

(in no particular order and for different reasons)

Dave Chapelle
Patton Oswalt
Lewis Black
Frank Caliendo
Mitch Hedberg

I started listening to Eugene Mirman a little while ago and HOLY SHIT

He is about as good as shit gets.

But I also forgot to put down Martin, as These are Jokes was my first album

No order:

Mitch Hedberg (so what if he isnt alive)
Louis C.K.
Doug Benson
Dave Chappelle
Jim Norton
Todd Barry
Jim Florentine
Patton Oswalt
Lewis Black
Nick Swardson
Eugene Mirman
Patrice O'Neal
Nick DiPaulo
Mitch Fatel
John Caparulo
Al Madrigal
Brian Regan

EDIT: saw someone put Frank Caliendo above me...that dude is shit...shitty shit mcshitterton...

I'm actually surprised that only 1 or 2 people mentioned Dane Cook positively. I thought his older stuff was great. His new stuff, not so much. He's become more of a funny story teller that goes through a lot of rambling than an actual comic.

In no particular order:

Patton Oswalt
Brian Posehn
Paul Tompkins
Chris Rock
Doug Benson
Lewis Black
Eddie Izzard
Dave Chappelle

Im surprised to have seen Eddie Izzard so much. I was never impressed with his work, and always saw his weirdness as something he used to sell records (I dont think it is, but thats just how I felt, y'no? In the same vein as Lady Gaga but not as obviously whoring himself.

I don't watch that much stand up but of the stuff I have streamed from Netflix Tosh, Reagan, Martin, and C.K. are all pretty good. I find The Colbert Report to be hilarious as well. Also I listen to the Bob & Tom show almost every morning going to work and they always get some hilarious people on there show but I can never remember their names.

The people I don't like are everybody from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Galifianakis, Caliendo, Hastings, and Gaffigan. They all have some funny bits but the majority of their jokes are not funny.

[quote name='berzirk']Wow, lots of the more recent posts are guys I'd consider 2nd or 3rd tier funny, the Gaffigans, Martins, Tosh, Black. Those are funny guys, but if I had $40 in my wallet and could only see one of those guys perform, or go see Cosby perform, I'll be at the Cosby venue every single time.[/QUOTE]

But let's be honest, mentioning people like Bill Cosby/Eddie Murphy/Steve Martin is the same as mentioning Pryor/Carlin/Hicks.

wow, not much love for Russell Peters, Dave Atell and Pablo Francisco. These guys are too funny. Of course, cosby, pryor and the other legends are great but i really like the first 3 i named.

I dont feel like getting a new thread up, so I wanted to talk about my reevaluated list, as Ive cleared about 50 new specials

My top 5 favorites (in order):

1) Steven Wright (Kicks Hedbergs ass in wordplay)
2) Zach Galifanakis (The shortest time its taken for me to love a comedian)
3) Brian Regan (Brilliant Writer)
4) Eugene Mirman (Just like Patton, only even better)
5) Louis CK (had a change of heart a little while back, now I love him)

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Dane Cook 2009
Dane Cook 2008
Dane Cook 2007
Dane Cook 2006
Dane Cook 2005[/QUOTE]

It looks like we found the captain of that bandwagon.

bread's done
Back