Who are the most influential people in your life? Who made you become you?

Lazer77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
Serious thread. Basically, who are the main people who made you who you are today. Its always nice reading these threads to hear some of these stories. Well here are mine:

1) My mom and my dad. Their motivation and their drive for success is so inspiring to me. I was born in Poland, and my parents worked very hard in Poland and barely got by because of the corrupt government and the Soviet Control back in that time. Once the union collapsed, Poland's economy and government were going straight to hell, so my parents decided moving here to the US would be the best idea. My dad moved first, and left my mom and i behind for a year, he came back for us and we all moved together. The first 3 months we lived in a car, and eventually we got a place. My dad worked roughly 70-90 hours a week, with two full time jobs and an occasional part time job. He made the sacrifice, and he would always be at work or asleep. Meanwhile my mom worked at the same time, and i would either join her at work, or i would go to a day care. Basically we are a product of "the American dream". Now we live in a 2 story house in a nice quiet neighborhood, 2 nice cars, i just graduated from college and am moving on for my masters degree. I respect and love them so much, because they are the reason why i am here today doing so well off. Their hard work and determination got them to where they are right now, and i admire them for the sacrifices they made for the family, and to this day i still carry on their work ethic and motivation.

2) My high school guidance counselor/friend. When i was in high school, i had almost no sense of direction. I didnt want to go to college, i didnt want to work, i didnt want to do the military, i just did not feel like doing anything at all. I got into the wrong crowd a lot in high school and did some things i shouldnt have, and basically it kept me from focusing on school and my GPA fell apart. To me, school was a complete joke. My guidance counselor knew what i was going through and helped me set my priorities straight by the start of my senior year, and after hours of just talking to her to get to the bottom of my problems, things finally made sense. She always said she saw my potential in me, and eventually she convinced me of it. My senior year, she helped me work hard to raise my GPA and she did everything she could so i got into college. Even after i graduated, she kept in contact with me and kept pushing me to do my best. Now 4 years later, we still talk (now as friends, not student/counselor), i graduated college with a 3.6 GPA (best in my life), and i am going to grad school this fall. Without her, i have no idea what i would have done when i got out of high school, probably not much of anything.

3) My former assistant manager/friend. I worked with him for 3 years, and i learned a lot about life, and his personal life philosophy is still something i hang on to. He came from a single parent home where his mom raised 4 children in a very poor and dangerous neighborhood in a major city. He was exposed to lots of things a child should not see. To this day he carries scars from things he did as a teen, from a gunshot wound to covered up gang tattoos. After he graduated high school, he was accepted to a private college on a sports scholarship, where he decided that it will be his only way to ever turn his life around. He graduated college with a business degree, moved away from his home state, and is now working as a retail assistant manager and studying to get his second degree in order to get a "real" job as he calls it. Even though he went through the things he went through, he always kept his head up and stayed positive through it all. Whenever i asked how he was doing, his response was "slow motion", and he eventually explained what that means to him. He means that he lives the good life slowly to enjoy every last little bit of it, and when bad things come up in his life or he has to confront his past, he does not get sad, mad, or anything, he simply lets them slowly take their course, because things will eventually get better. Roughly in those words. When we worked together, our boss (the general manager) was a guy younger than me who was a power hungry idiot who completely ruined the store, and my assistant manager always stood up for me when the general manager would try to fire me or attack me in some way. Let alone we had a ton of serious talks, and to me he felt like either a second dad or as an older brother (probably this one because he is only 8 years older lol), and we still keep in contact even though we both left the company. His life philosophy of "slow motion" is something i try to live by now.

Jesus Christ, fo sho! After him my parents of course.

He is the single biggest positive influence in my life. Whether you believe in him or not, you can still agree that he was one of the world's greatest leaders!

Besides my parents/relatives?

Game Players magazine.

No, that's not a joke. I feel as though my basic core beliefs have largely set most of my life- for whatever reason, I've never really given a damn about 'fitting in' with my peers, so I came to my own conclusions about the important stuff- moral choices and all. What's always been in flux is the little stuff- what matters in my day to day life, what I enjoy doing, who I'm doing it with.

When I was 12, my dad retired from the military and we moved 2 states away. I didn't mind so much at the time- where I lived, new kids tended to be the center of attention for a week or two, and I was kind of looking forward to seeing what kinds of kids I'd meet. What I did not realize until I started school again, was that unlike me, these kids had been with the same group of kids their whole lives. They had no need to get to know the new kid. I made excactly 1 friend that year- who didn't want to talk to me anymore once I started middle school (I imagine I must've been awfully clingy.) I mostly passed the time reading, writing to pen pals (had half a dozen of those for awhile), and fiddling around with our Genesis.

That's when it happened- my mom had won a 6-month subscription to Sega Visions just before we moved. We didn't care much for it and didn't send them a change of address. When that magazine went out of print, Game Players took over their subscribers- and somehow they tracked us down and finished our subscription. I ADORED Game Players. I hunted it down every month. The crazy things they wrote about (like Bill's Army of the Undead and Possibly Brain Damaged) kept me entertained, and I quickly forgot about my friendless boredom. Eventually I met a new girl I clicked with, joined the photography club briefly, and finished middle school happily.

High school felt like starting the whole process over- I was on opposite schedules from the people I knew from middle school. I actually got a 'pity seat' at lunch with some of my sister's friends. There were 2 other freshman at the same table... and they wanted to read my Game Players. These girls would become my dearest friends througout high school. Game Players ran a few ads for Dragonball Z, one of them knew it, we started watching it. That's how I got into anime- which, in turn, is how I met my fiance.

So yes- it sounds completely nuts, but I can track a lot of important people, and a lot of the things I love best, to a gaming magazine we got for free. Life can be pretty weird.

I'm only 15, so I'm still being influenced alot. I would say my one manager who just moved to another store, which really upset me, as well as the amazing teachers I've had. My whole life I've always made connections with teachers. I don't mean I was ever a kiss ass, or at least never meant to come off as one. Anyways, I've had teachers that have taught a lot of life lessons, and most of them probably don't even know it.

My biggest influencer was my grandpa. He was very religious, brilliant, and very caring. My grandpa had cancer for about 20 years and had to live that whole time with a whole in his check. The way he was able to cope with cancer and the scars it left was really inspiring. I also really like the fact that no matter how sick and close to death he became, he never lost his faith. He also always loved life and didn't want to die no matter how sick he became. Unfortunately, he died last year and I've just starting really growing up and now understand things I never knew before. I know if he was alive know I'd have a lot more answers and would probably be a much better person.

epic_beard_man_01.jpg

My older sister. She took care of me and my younger sister when were little. Would take us to the park, to the library, kept us busy during the summer time. She taught us how to read, basically was our first teacher and stimulated our tiny brains. Definitely smarter because of her.

Just immigrated to the US my parents were always busy working - my dad worked 2 jobs. When he first arrived he worked as a dishwasher and cleaned streets. My mother worked at home working for a clothing factory. This was back in 1980 or so but for everyone who complains about their life in America, I say suck it up. If my parents, asian immigrants who didn't know a single word of english (under occupation in their passports it says peasant) can make it there's no excuse for anyone to fail or complain. My dad's a cook. He probably could be a chef but he never became fluent in english.

They taught me to hard work, to stay humble, to listen, that education/learning is important.

A third influence would be maybe all my elementary teachers or GI Joe/Transformers. The teachers were encouraging. The cartoons taught me between right and wrong. Although the lines aren't always as clear and defined as the cartoons (and it's never easy to do) I still strive to be one of the good guys.

1. Father because he taught me how to be a good person and take care of business when necessary. I learned from his example while growing up cause he was always there when somebody needed him to help or just someone to talk to.

2. Mother because she helped me to learn what not to do in life when it comes to responsibility. Don't get me wrong she is a nice person and helps a lot of folks but she just makes some bad choices in certain areas of her life that shows me what not to do.

3. My siblings because I am the youngest so most things I wanted to do I couldn't cause they tried them all out before I got here. I just wish they were more known for the good but they are mostly known for the trouble they caused and for the bad they do now.

Parents of course. As well as various great friends over the years.

Professionally/intellectually/career development etc. would be:

My high school history teacher--got me to love learning when I'd never been a big fan of school.

Undergrad criminology professor who got me to fall in love with the field and convinced me to go to grad school vs. sticking with a career in journalism.

My grad school (master's and Ph D) mentor who got me into research and hooked on an academic career. Also the older grad student I worked under when I first started grad school, who I learned a ton from and became great friends with.

Parents are about the only ones who influenced me in "real life".. I got a lot of other influence from various authors.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Parents
2) Religious Leader
3) College prof and mentor

4) lots of others I haven't met, but did significant things that have shaped my life

I would say by far #1 would be my cousins who introduced me to video games when I was 7... my whole life was changed by that one event. #2 would be my dad; he provided for me, and his influence was what made me choose a lot of big things in life, such as my college and career.

bread's done
Back