Who cares about new game announcements anymore?

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
In lieu of the apparent new Metal Gear Announcement in Famitsu (http://kotaku.com/5271124/can-you-decipher-kojimas-famitsu-interview), I started to wonder, does anyone care about new game announcements anymore?

The only reason I asked this is because my first response was "great, well I won't get to play it for probably three years anyway." Unlike say, movie announcements, we hardly get to see a big game announcement like Metal Gear and know we'll be playing it within a year. So we put up with "new images" and "new" videos which are usually rearranged trailers (hello FFXIII anything).

It has become irritating to a point where I'm just not excited about new game announcements anymore. It's like someone serving me a big juicy steak, but I can't eat it for three years. I just have to stare at it.

The internet has ruined that for me.

Once, all my gaming info was brought to me via EGM monthly. Now, everything is up to date on the internets.

[quote name='limelight022']The internet has ruined that for me.

Once, all my gaming info was brought to me via EGM monthly. Now, everything is up to date on the internets.[/QUOTE]

EGM monthly? Is that like a CAG gamer?=-P

I havent cared about game announcements in a while. Sometimes a game will be announced and I will be a little excited, usually leads to disappointment when the game is out.

I miss the days where you would go to the arcade to see what the future held for console games. And read the EGMs to see what RPGs were coming soon.

I do a little, but usually by the time a game comes out, I'm a lot less excited for it. The announcement to release window for video games is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with Ninja Dog. It's definitely not hard to find examples of ridiculous announcement-to-release windows: Duke Nukem Forever, Kameo, Resident Evil 5..

I like knowing what is coming. But I don't really pay much attention to news other than release dates. After that the next thing I'm interested in reading is reviews when the game is about to come out.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I like E3 until I can see a game being demoed it's vaporware.[/QUOTE]

yeah, though I don't like the "this game will be out in 2-3 years" announcements, I still love E3 time. Would be so much better if it was for games coming out the following Winter/Spring/Summer though, with fewer long term announcements.

Yeah, I only care when they announce something and it'll be out THAT year.
Still waiting for more info on Sin & Punishment 2. :cry:

Actually, until about a year out or less, I try to stay away from any sort of announcements. Problem is, with games 3-4 years out, you hear of some sweet innovations, but by the time that game comes out, it isn't so innovative (might not even be the best at that object anymore). What would have been world class AI 2 years ago is not now.

So, it's like with Mass Effect 2. Sure, it's coming in 2010. Loved the first one, but I'm not reading much about it. Get me much closer, when things are confirmed in the game, and I'll get more excited

(but, for me it's worse, I usually wait a year to play games anyway, so for most games, if the announcement is 3 years out, I'm 4 years+ from playing it, so it's hard to care).

[quote name='lordxixor101']
So, it's like with Mass Effect 2. Sure, it's coming in 2010. Loved the first one, but I'm not reading much about it. Get me much closer, when things are confirmed in the game, and I'll get more excited
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for sequels to games I loved, I especially avoid info. It's a must buy for me, so I don't need to read up on it and I'd rather not spoil anything.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
(but, for me it's worse, I usually wait a year to play games anyway, so for most games, if the announcement is 3 years out, I'm 4 years+ from playing it, so it's hard to care).[/QUOTE]

This is why I could careless about most announcements. Unless I'm going to buy a game full price (which is hardly ever these days), announcements do me no good. In fact, the widespread opinions and/or reviews from people who've already played a game that has been out for six months are much more informative than the hyped/speculative/sugarcoated "aura" that embodies many of these announcements (I'm looking at you, Peter Molyneux).

Only if its something from my childhood like a remake or something and / or is something that I'd like that completely came out of left field.

Other than that, announcements of inevitable sequels that won't be coming out for a year or two do nothing for me. I'll wait until a final review.

And all this hype over the kojima announcement is kind of annoying.

I'll agree that hearing about games coming out in a bazillion years is super lame, but it's great when you hear about something that's coming "This Fall" or whatever. Like Red Faction Guerilla or Natural Selection 2. I hadn't heard about the first until ~Winter '08 and the second until a few days ago. Even Bioshock wasn't really full blown announced until this year and it's coming in October.

I hear most of you guys 100% I dislike when a game company announces their game waaaay before it's release. Are they trying to build hype for the game? Does it pay off?

Usually I lose interest and track of the game unless I'm really looking forward to the title

Are you guys kidding? Without these vital announcements how could you plan your lives? When I hear these announcements I immediately put in for vacation time and notify all family and friends.....via life saving tools like Twitter and Facebook of course.....that I will un-reachable during the release window of the game in question. Of course this is only done after returning from gamespot when I know I have secured my copy by pre-ordering and trading in a few old games while I'm at it.

If developers didn't tell us 12-18 months ahead of time, I wouldn't be able to give everyone proper warning.

;)

I really don't pay much attention to any announcement until I can either read a review or try a demo.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I like E3. Until I can see a game being demoed, it's vaporware.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing this is what you meant. It's hard when you don't use enough punctuation.

It's also flawed. I've actually played an early version of Starcraft Ghost. Steaming pile of crap. A demo doesn't mean anything. And I'm glad they canceled it. What I like is a nice, firm street date. That usually has some meaning.

If a game doesn't have a release date in the next 6 months I don't care. I won't pay attention at all.

I don't care about anoucements, especially since I've played enough video games to know, they never live up to the hype.

Also WTF is up with places like Gamestop taking pre-order on games without release dates? Who the hell is already putting a reservation on FF 13?

For a good looking game, it's like coming up to a really tall hill on a roller coaster and then slowly riding back down. They should wait until a couple of months before release to officially announce. Maybe hint (small hints) at it at just under a year.

bread's done
Back