Who has a DVR from Comcast?

I think it's the same type of thing, although it MAY be included in yoru service package, whereas with Tivo you'd have to pay extra for it.

[quote name='SuprTnr2']I think it's the same type of thing, although it MAY be included in yoru service package, whereas with Tivo you'd have to pay extra for it.[/QUOTE]

Also you will have to hook tivo to the phone line. As where with most cable companies all you need is the cable wire. When I worked at Radioshack people came in everyday needing to get phone line extenders and splitters. Also they sell wireless kits for $80 bucks.

the dvr isn't included in my area's service plan....it is cheaper/same price as tivo, and if you have a hd comcast box, it will record in hd, which last I checked tivo doesn't, unless you shell out a ton for a tivo hd recorder.. I see 2 differences with tivo and comcast dvr, comcast records in hd, and tivo makes you shell out money for the recorder.

I have it I love it. It is an additional $10 Tivo costs 12 something amonth and you have to buy the equiPment. Also the one I have can tape two things at once which the cheaper Tivos cant do.

[quote name='ryanbph']the dvr isn't included in my area's service plan....it is cheaper/same price as tivo, and if you have a hd comcast box, it will record in hd, which last I checked tivo doesn't, unless you shell out a ton for a tivo hd recorder.. I see 2 differences with tivo and comcast dvr, comcast records in hd, and tivo makes you shell out money for the recorder.[/QUOTE]

You just said the same thing twice.

I have the Comcast DVR.. I dunno about service plans and all that, I just know that we had digital cable, and it would actually be $5 less a month for us to get the DVR.. so we did that. I freakin' love that thing.

If you have the 2 tuner system then comcast DVR destorys the TIVO system

reason why i take the COMCAST DVR Over TIVO any day

1. no phone lines needed with the comcast dvr

2. Comcast Dvr is 9.95 per month compair to Tivo 12.95 per month

3. at least here you get all the HI DEF channels Free with the dvr box (since the dvr box is a HIGH DEF box there is no way to turn the channels off

4. you dont have to worry if the box breaks.. COmcast box breaks just take it and get a new one at no cost.. Tivo box breaks your going to have to go out and buy another TIVO system and i think if you had lifetime service to the broken box your even more shit out of luck cause you cant move that to the new TIVO

5. 80 hour tivo = 24 hours on best mode... My Comcast box holds around 90 hours of digital programming or 50-60 hours of analog programming.. good luck getting a TIvo to record that long (unless you put a new hard drive in yourself)

i had tivo for a while before the comcast dvrs came out and i will never go back to tivo.... also rumor

RUMOR COMCAST DVR BOXES

Sometime in summer 2006: comcast will bring out a 160 GB hard drive (compair to the 120 GB they have out now) What makes this system special is you see that little card slot in front of the dvr..... That slot will be used so you can order PPV movies , pizzas and other stuff to get deliverd to your house.

and i think Comcast and TIVO are merging so dont expect Tivo boxes to be around much longer once they merger.,.. I will be shocked to see TIVO stand alone boxes out on the market past 2006

[quote name='Graystone']Also you will have to hook tivo to the phone line. As where with most cable companies all you need is the cable wire. When I worked at Radioshack people came in everyday needing to get phone line extenders and splitters. Also they sell wireless kits for $80 bucks.[/QUOTE]
Tivo only needs to be hooked to the phone line for the initial setup.

Once you've done that, you can hook it to your broadband network via Ethernet or wireless. My two Tivo's are hooked to the network via Ethernet, and I've never had any issues with missing guide updates from the network connection, save when my DSL modem's being funny.

I've seen the interface on the Comcast DVR and the Tivo blows it away, IMHO. It's so damned easy to use.

Yes, I bought the hardware, and yes, I pay a monthly fee for the service. For that service I can:
* Burn my shows to DVD on my Toshiba Tivo w/DVD-RW
* Transfer shows back and forth between my two Tivo's, plus send them to my laptop to watch elsewhere, as well as burn them to my laptop's DVD drive
* Transfer shows to a portable media player and watch them on the go (which may include the iPod Video, if things work out with Tivo & Apple)
* Not deal with the cable company owning both the box and the service, so I can take the box with me if I change cable providers

No, it doesn't do HD, though as I don't own an HDTV, that's not an issue for me. The Tivo HD unit for DirecTV is an odd bird, anyway, since DirecTV is rolling their own solution anyway. A number of cable companies are licensing the Tivo solution for their own DVR's, so you might end up with a Tivo sooner or later.

I've been a Tivo user over four years. Happily paying my money all the while for the service. And I have a third Tivo on the way from the JCPenny promotion a while back.

I got replayTV myself. I've had tivo and I think tivo is a little more polished on the interface. I agree with shrike thou. Tivos and Replays can network without a phoneline too. You can transfer shows between units. The only big nice thing I see from the comcast unit is the dual tuner. I got lifetime subs on all three of my replayTV thru promotions. So to date I've spent around a grand for three dvrs. I've upgraded the hard drive on my main unit and I'm very happy with it. If I had a HDTV or less than one unit, so I'd have a need for the dual tuner, then I'd say jump on that comcast. DVR's IMHO are worth their monthly fee. If they'd just make them a lil smarter to record thru overtimes they'd be perfect.

[quote name='Scorch']That'd be nice to burn Raw episodes to DVD rather than download them and store them on a DVD data CD.[/QUOTE]
And it's so simple, too.

1. Pop in blank DVD-R.
2. Go to the DVD-R off the main Tivo menu, and select "Save programs to DVD".
3. Select the shows that you want to record to the DVD. I record at high quality, so that's 2 hours per DVD. Medium would be 4 hours, low would be 6, best would be 1 hour.
4. Title the disc with the on-screen keyboard.
5. Hit Record.

It'll go off and do it in the background, so I can watch pre-recorded content and be recording something from the cable feed, all at the same time. Usually does it in less than half the recorded time for the DVD recording.

Plus, it plays DVD's as a progressive scan DVD player, and there's component outputs on the back of it, as well as an optical output on the back, and RCA + FW port on the front to do direct-to-DVD recording on top of it all.

This is it, right over here:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=rs-tx20

Picked it up from BB for net $100, after 50% off coupon and $200 rebate. $150 w/BB 4 year warranty on it. Plus, sold my 80 hour Tivo S2 unit for $150 (7 months old and had a 4 year BB warranty on it), so I essentially upgraded for free. :D

The benefits of the Comcast DVR are:

1. Dual Tuner - priceless for watching multiple programs
2. Lower Monthly Rate - I believe it is a little cheaper, or it was when I signed up.
3. Easier integration with overall experience. My sister's TiVO jumps channells annoyingly when you go to switch. THough more of a TiVO thing than DVR.

I like the Comcast DVR. BUt one annoying thing is that it is more of a pain to get shows off the DVR to your computer and such. With TiVO I believe it is a lot easier. Unfortunately, even if I was interested I could switch because comcast is the only thing offered around me. Stupid monopolies. Anyone else stuck?

I forgot about this thread but just as an update I ended up getting the DVR. It's definitely awesome and I recommend getting one. I have the dual tuner kind and its a great feature. I can record and watch tv at the same time. Being able to set up a series to record is a cool feature too .. I'm getting all sorts of Futurama, Family Guy, and Naruto episodes stored up. Thanks for all the info everyone.

EDIT: I just noticed there's an ad for Tivo and DVRs at the bottom of the page. That Google ad thing is interesting.

Yeah, TIVO is great. We have two Tivo's and they're hooked up on the network so I'm able to transfer the shows to my comp and watch them or burn them to DVD. The only problem is that we have a 40-hour Tivo so by recording in high quality I have to end up transferring shows a little more frequently but I've gotten used to it.

Something else awesome about a digital cable box / DVR:

If you're watching a digital movie channel (let's say, one of the HBO channels), and they happen to show a great movie that's not on DVD... the quality is so awesome sometimes that you could burn that to DVD and it looks just as good, if not better, than a retail copy.

[quote name='Maklershed']Does anyone know how to transfer video from the Comcast DVR to the computer?[/QUOTE]
Nothing that I know of. And one main reason why I won't buy a cable company's DVR.

Unofficially, there may be a way, though unless you can hook it to your network somehow, you're fucked on being able to move stuff from it.

With my Tivo, it's simple. :D

it may be simple, but to me having hd tv recorded, not having to buy the box, and recording 2 shows at once is worth the ease of moving the stuff to a pc. I am not sure how to transfer the files, as it isn't something I ever thought of doing. I have comcast coming over on friday, so I will ask the guy about it.

ps, i do have a tivo for upstairs. Its interface is easier, but not something that is dominant about that makes it a selling feature. Also you don't buy cable company's DVR, you rent it. Tivo you buy the system, and pay for the service.

I love mt 3 tivos... I paid a one time lifetime fee, and never had to pay extra when I got my extra boxes...(mine are directivos from directv)... the interface is much easier than most of the dvr's I have seen, they do have 2 tuners, and I also am intrigued about being able to easily download programs off of it onto a video ipod in the future through special upcoming software(something talked about in the news

Ive also had one of my tivos break and replaced free, and the 80 gb model I just got was free after rebate... Id rather own my equipment

It will do until I upgrade to a HD model in the next few years...

I am not sure if this will be happening in the near future or not, but marketing companies are pissed about the tivo/dvr setups. I know in either forbes/business week or one of the other business mags, they had an article about tivo. They were in the discussions with companies to setup ads on tivo. There were two formats being floated around, 1 is that as your fast forward thru a commercial an image (lets say a ford truck) of the truck appears on the screen with info such as price, and a website. The newer tivo remotes will have an option to press a button while this ad was playing to signify you were interested. Tivo would then send your user info to ford, and a nearby dealership will contact you about the vehicle you were interested in. Now this was in early to mid summer issue, and I haven't seen/read anything about it since. But tivo is sitting on top of a ton of consumer info. What shows they watch, what ads they stop the fast forwarding to see, how much tv you watch, what time are you available, and contact information. I believe they wanted to role that out in either 2007 or 2008 from what i remeber from the article.

[quote name='shrike4242']Nothing that I know of. And one main reason why I won't buy a cable company's DVR.

Unofficially, there may be a way, though unless you can hook it to your network somehow, you're fucked on being able to move stuff from it.

With my Tivo, it's simple. :D[/QUOTE]

I found a FAQ a while ago from one of those A/V sites but it was a bit labor intensive and I didn't have the correct cables. But there is something out there. Another feature of tivo which is cool is the new video ipod converter. haven't seen it but sounds awesome.

Maklershed - have you tried recording on Comedy central, like Daily Show or Kolber? It records every episode. So annoying. Were you goign to get TiVO with comcast or another service?

bread's done
Back