Who has run a marathon? What do I do to prepare?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm thinking about running a marathon at the end of the year... I am very active but I have never trained for something like this before. I've heard it takes 6 months of dedication but I have no idea what kind of program I should be on. Have any CAGs run one before? How do you train for it?

You'll need a lot of endurance training and proper diet. Just because you can hit the treadmill for an hour doesn't mean you can run around town all day. I had a buddy try to just wing it once, he basically destroyed his body and couldn't move for a week :lol: He's a really fit guy too.

[quote name='javeryh']I just want to complete one hopefully averaging about a 10 minute mile (finishing in under 4 hours).[/QUOTE]

How far can you walk and how far can you run right now?

For example, I can walk 10 miles in one sitting without any problems and I can run maybe half a mile without adrenaline.

Do you know anybody on a local cross country club or is there a local High School cross country team you can assist without accusations of pedobear?

There's usually clubs you can join that have the goal of running a marathon. Ask around at gyms and stuff - you'll probably find some group you can join with that logs miles and has a plan and all that. There's one around here starting in August, and I think it's several months long. Cost $100 and you get a shirt and so forth.

Otherwise, I'm sure you find a schedule to follow online. I'd think it would revolve around running three miles at the beginning for a few weeks and then gradually upping the total for a while. At some point you need to get to doing half marathons, and then just push on from there.

Honestly, though, I'm thinking that after a certain period of time/distance, you just get into a groove that you won't fall out of. At least, that's what happens to me when I go running.

One of my uncles likes to run marathons. From what he tells me, you should really try and work on your endurance since people normally run only a few miles at a time. Don't just run lots of laps around your block because it makes it easier for you to stop and go home. Try and have a far away destination you are running/jogging towards; a friend or relative's house a few (5-8) miles away. This way when you are completely out of energy and feel like you are going to die, they can give you a ride home. From there work your way up to longer distances and if possible, have someone you can call for a ride home. Hope that helped.

I run 4 miles every day during the week and I'm in pretty good shape... endurance is something I have to work on that's what she said. I'm usually dead tired after the 4 miles but I'm also going as fast as I can the whole time. I think I need to figure out a schedule and stick to it.

Haven't run a marathon yet, but I run half-marathons and am planning to run a full marathon this fall.

Really, depending on your body, you may not have to have a strict diet. I don't really watch what I eat (although I only eat fast food like once every other month and barely drink soda), and I'm fine.

Look up training schedules. Since you aren't used to running long distances, try to find a schedule for beginners. I'd save Sunday or Saturday for my "long run," with the other days of the week filled with shorter but faster-paced runs. Again, just use a schedule.

Make sure you get good running shoes, I'd get fitted at a specialty store just to avoid any possible aches and pains.

Six months is probably how long it would take a person who never runs. Since you're active, you may be able to get away with doing it in 3-4 months, depending how much you can run now.

10 min miles shouldnt be too difficult, I think I could do a marathon right now at that pace and I've trained for last half-marathon for only 2 months (although prior to that I've been a runner).

[quote name='javeryh']I run 4 miles every day during the week and I'm in pretty good shape... endurance is something I have to work on that's what she said. I'm usually dead tired after the 4 miles but I'm also going as fast as I can the whole time. I think I need to figure out a schedule and stick to it.[/QUOTE]

That's a good start. Try tacking on more mileage each week. I'd keep one "speed" day where you do 4-6 miles at fast pace.

[quote name='javeryh']I just want to complete one hopefully averaging about a 10 minute mile (finishing in under 4 hours).[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty ambitious goal. I've never wanted to do one, but have some friends who have. They trained for months with a group and on their own etc (group runs on saturdays, given a plan for individual runs throughout the week) and finished in close to 6 hours.

I'd suggest finding some local group that trains for marathons like that. Better to have people who regularly run them setting up a beginner's training program for you than to just buy a book etc. Plus more motivation to stick with the training if you're meeting every weekend for longer runs with the group etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's a pretty ambitious goal. I've never wanted to do one, but have some friends who have. They trained for months with a group and on their own etc (group runs on saturdays, given a plan for individual runs throughout the week) and finished in close to 6 hours.

I'd suggest finding some local group that trains for marathons like that. Better to have people who regularly run them setting up a beginner's training program for you than to just buy a book etc. Plus more motivation to stick with the training if you're meeting every weekend for longer runs with the group etc.[/QUOTE]

Just so we're clear: your friends were only "running" 26-27 miles, right?

[quote name='javeryh']I run 4 miles every day during the week and I'm in pretty good shape... endurance is something I have to work on that's what she said. I'm usually dead tired after the 4 miles but I'm also going as fast as I can the whole time. I think I need to figure out a schedule and stick to it.[/QUOTE]

not run a marathon... have almost 0 interest in running.

But I would think working on pacing would be a big thing and like others have said... keep ramping up the mileage. Maybe 2 days normal mileage (upping a little as you go) one day a little higher mileage and 1 day working on increasing distance and not worrying about speed. or ya could go with this...

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do?code=BBHOME_CONTROL_INS

hehe dunno how much it would help with marathoning... but prolly increase your cardio if ya pushed at it.

i know my cousin ran a marathon, he was running a half marathon every other week? or maybe it was once a week in prep. I dunno how many months before he was doing that or for how long I could ask him later this week.

4miles is a good distance...marathons are much more brutal though. I would say start extending your distance to at see if you can complete a half marathon. Once u hit that groove where you are clocking 10min miles and really dont feel tired or any loss of energy I would assume you would be fine.

Good luck...i get my ass kicked when i extend my 2 mile runs to 5km distance :/

I did a lot of long distance running a few years back. Marathon, half-marathons, etc. I started from a complete never running any long distance to marathon in about 1 year.

I did this though without really following a set pace of increasing my distance. I just started with a mile or two then bumped it up to 3, then to 5, then 7, and so on until I finally started hitting 10, 13, 16, and 18. When I ran the marathon it was the first time I ever ran more than 18 miles at one time, but I just decided to go for it.

The biggest advice I have:

To get proper running shoes from a dedicated running store. They will usually watch you run on a treadmill, check you gait, check your arches, and find the perfect shoe for you.

Replace the shoes often. If you are only doing 10 miles or so a week at first they will last you a long time. When you start hitting 25+ miles a week your shoes are going to break down extremely fast and will need to be replaced.

Listen to your body. Shin splint, sore knees, etc. can sometimes be avoided by taking it easy certain days if you are a little sore, icing, some advil, etc.

Take it slow - don't burn yourself out. You might get discouraged if you aren't making the gains in mileage or speed, but like the old saying it's not a sprint it is a marathon. Take your time, keep track of your pace, and try to slowly improve over time. You might get burned out eventually anyways. I did - I just got tired of the hourly investment it took to keep up the super long distance running and changed it up to mostly sprints and some quick and easy 3 or so mile runs.

Good luck!

edit:

Oh yeah. This is extremely important (especially if you are a husky guy), tape your nipples when you start getting up to the longer distances in the summer time (or whenever it is hot). Nothing is worse then banging out 10+ miles in 80 degree plus and feeling the wet nasty shirt rubbing off your nipples for a few hours. Not a pretty sight!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Just so we're clear: your friends were only "running" 26-27 miles, right?[/QUOTE]

Huh?

It was a marathon, so 26.2 miles or whatever. Any big city has runner groups getting ready for marathons etc. (doesn't have to be local marathon, they trained in DC and ran in Arizona and a couple other places).

Training was like 6-8 months. Every weekend was a run with the group that gradually worked up to doing the full marathon distance a time or two a month or so before the race. And they were giving a schedule of shorter runs to do throughout the week etc. Ranging from pretty long distance runs, to doing things like sprinting up hills and walking back down etc. to help get speed up etc.

I think he was implying that 6 hours is a slow time unless there was walking involved. I think around 4.5 hours is average (~10 minute miles).

[quote name='javeryh']I think he was implying that 6 hours is a slow time unless there was walking involved. I think around 4.5 hours is average (~10 minute miles).[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure they probably walked a bit and did a pretty slow jog. Neither are super athletic, and they weren't doing a big time marathon or anything. I doubt the average is 4.5 hours in the smaller marathons they ran since they were open to anyone and didn't require qualification etc.

My one friend who's ran a couple just had a goal of getting under 5 hours, don't know if she's hit it yet, just missed on the last one she ran IIRC.

Well I definitely respect anyone who has finished a marathon - no matter the time it takes. I can only imagine the effort involved since I've never actually done it before. I wish I knew someone else I could train with but the reality of it is that my schedule won't allow for something like that. My boss has made it clear that he's already unhappy that I work out in the mornings before work since it means I'm unreachable on the blackberry for about 2 hours.

[quote name='javeryh']Well I definitely respect anyone who has finished a marathon - no matter the time it takes. I can only imagine the effort involved since I've never actually done it before. I wish I knew someone else I could train with but the reality of it is that my schedule won't allow for something like that. My boss has made it clear that he's already unhappy that I work out in the mornings before work since it means I'm unreachable on the blackberry for about 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be tough to do one then in that case as you have to put in the training if you want to finish it. Any schedule you can find is going to be runs at least 3 week day sand a longer one on the weekend. You could probably get by with a tiny bit less if you just want to finish and do a lot of walking etc., but it's definitely something you have to train for.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's going to be tough to do one then in that case as you have to put in the training if you want to finish it. Any schedule you can find is going to be runs at least 3 week day sand a longer one on the weekend. You could probably get by with a tiny bit less if you just want to finish and do a lot of walking etc., but it's definitely something you have to train for.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I just reread my original post - I meant training with someone else is what my schedule won't allow. I'll be able to train on my own pretty much as much as I want since I workout every morning anyway.

[quote name='javeryh']Oh, I just reread my original post - I meant training with someone else is what my schedule won't allow. I'll be able to train on my own pretty much as much as I want since I workout every morning anyway.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Most of the training groups only meet on the Weekends for a long run, with members keeping up with the weekday trainings on their own.

Only issue you may have is needing to give up more sleep as you get closer to the Marathon and your weekday runs get longer as you'll need more time to finish them and shower than you probably spend on workouts currently.

yeah, I thought about that - it's hard enough getting up at 5:30 every morning... I hope I can find the energy to wake up even earlier...

[quote name='javeryh']I think he was implying that 6 hours is a slow time unless there was walking involved. [/QUOTE]

That's why you make the big bucks.

OK, I'm 4 weeks into the training schedule. I'm following THIS one I found online. I ran 9 miles this morning and I feel pretty good. I'm tired but that is expected. I have never ran that far in my life. I am not looking forward to next Friday and the 10 mile run. Even the mid week medium runs are getting long - 5 miles next Tuesday.

This is the first week where I started to notice that my pants are a little loose. It is a great feeling - I just need to keep it up and I need to get better with my diet. I do OK but it could be better.

I run 3 nine minute miles on the treadmill as a part of my cardio workout and burn a total of 360 calories total (120 calories per mile).

Just to give you a point of reference in case you need to load on carbs and calories the day before your run. Looks like you'll need at least a thousand.

That schedule looks pretty similar to one I used a couple years ago. Mine had a little more mileage during the week, but since then I've looked at a couple more and it seems like the one you're using is much more standard. Just dedicating the time to run ~10 miles in the middle of the week is probably the biggest pain in the ass.

If you're 4 weeks in, that means your marathon is in December/January? Where is it? I ran mine in February in New England, which in retrospect was moronic. I got lucky with pretty warm weather and very little precipitation, but the week before they were talking about a decent amount of snow and I was kicking myself.

I'm even more moronic in that I am not actually planning on running a marathon - I'm just doing this for fun and to stay in shape. I am thinking about runnng one in the spring though if I make it through this.

10 miles tomorrow morning. I have to get out there by 5 am to make sure I'm at work on time. So far the short (3.5) and medium (5) runs I did earlier in the week were easy as hell. I think I'm getting used to it. The 10 mile run tomorrow is going to kill me though.

Is there anything I should eat right when I wake up? I usually run on an empty stomach but last wee I was completely out of gas after the 9 miles.

I generally would take stuff to munch on during my long runs such as gel packs, candy, bananas etc... anything to keep myself fueled while in the midst of a long training run, its really important that you train yourself to be able to eat and drink in the midst of a long run, during my marathon I would actually take the time to walk through each of the water stations to be sure I properly hydrated after a scare in a 10k early that year where I drank nothing on a hot day and hallucinated near the finish...)

I think I maxed out on my last long training run a few weeks before the marathon at around 23 miles, and gave myself a few weeks to recover for the big day by tapering off

On a mental side, I made sure to put as much variety into my training runs as possible, in regards to where I was running... avoiding treadmills when possible, even on rainiy days, which can be advantageous. I liked running in 3-4 different areas to keep things new and fresh, some areas were hilly, some more flat...

Vasoline... so important... on areas that might chafe during the marathon... I neglected this the first time I ran a half... lets just say when I showered that afternoon the pain was horrible... be prepared for anything that might hurt...

No matter what type of adrenaline you are feeling at the beginning, hold your pace... you could regret it later... had I not had some serious knee issues during mine, Id have run somewhere around a 3:20, the first half was as simple as you could ask for even with the bad weather...

If you are planning on getting new shoes for the run, be sure to have time to properly break them in beforehand... never run a race in brand new shoes

Watch out for those bloody nipples! Sorry... when I think of marathons, I think of those pictures I googled once. Good luck!

So does Vasoline on the nipples work? Last Friday I was really chaffed in that area - it hurt for a few days too. My wife suggested band-aids but I'm skeptical. I'd love some suggestions.

bread's done
Back