Who has successfully quit smoking butts?

snotknocker

CAGiversary!
Having smoked for 15 years, I've decided to give it another go and quit. I've tried cold turkey, the patch, the gum, the pill and the lozenger. I'm currently using the nicotrol inhaler which has been working good and for 2 weeks I have not smoked a butt. Sometimes the cravings are ferocious, but I'm positive I'm going to do it this time.

Just wondering those of you who have successfully quit smoking. Do you still get cravings after quitting for a long time? Is it a constant battle not to smoke? Any tips you could give me to get through my periods of insanr nicotine cravings .

Thanx

Smoking butts?

There was some legend, when I was back in middle school, that this kid named Lloyd Mead, who rode my bus, collected a ton of cigarette butts from a bunch of ash trays at gas stations, and took them in the woods and smoked them.

And eye witness account stated that ol' Lloyd vomited like a geiser in the forest.

I also caught this kid with a cock he made out of clay, in his backpack, which he sculpted from stolen clay from the art room.

[quote name='Brak']Smoking butts?

There was some legend, when I was back in middle school, that this kid named Lloyd Mead, who rode my bus, collected a ton of cigarette butts from a bunch of ash trays at gas stations, and took them in the woods and smoked them.

And eye witness account stated that ol' Lloyd vomited like a geiser in the forest.

I also caught this kid with a cock he made out of clay, in his backpack, which he sculpted from stolen clay from the art room.[/quote]

:lol:

Smoking filters and sculpting cocks. This kid must've been the most popular kid at school.

I quit cold turkey just over 3 years ago. The first 6-9 months I craved cigs on and off, then it kind of dies. Having a smoke like a year after you quit is quite an experience. 1 feels like a pack when you were smoking. Now, I don't crave them at all knowing how I'd feel if I had one. You just have to treat smoking like your bitch, like you are its master and you will win.

wellbutrin fights the cravings...its often prescribed to quit smoking. started 1 month ago, no nicotine yet, after 15 years smoking

[quote name='Stoneage']I quit cold turkey just over 3 years ago. The first 6-9 months I craved cigs on and off, then it kind of dies. Having a smoke like a year after you quit is quite an experience. 1 feels like a pack when you were smoking. Now, I don't crave them at all knowing how I'd feel if I had one. You just have to treat smoking like your bitch, like you are its master and you will win.[/QUOTE]

Good advice, thanx. Just gotta remember to smack my bitch down!

It took me a half dozen times to quit (smoked 1/2 to full pack a day). Everytime I did, I could go for a longer period until now where I haven't smoked for 1 1/2 years.

Things that may help you:
- Poontang ;)
- Toothpicks to keep something in your mouth and your fingers from fidgeting.
- Nicotine patch (Don't sleep with that fucker on! It'll fuck with your head at night)
- Hobbies to keep your mind occupied.
- If you have buddies that smoke around you, ask them to try not to hold the cig near you or blow smoke in your direction. (I had to take a few weeks hiatus from my boys otherwise I'd would fucking choke someone)
- If you smoke in your car, GET IT DETAILED. The smell will drive you nuts when you try to quit.
- If you smoke in the house, time to call Mr. Clean and get scrubbin the walls to get the smoke film off the walls and curtains that will smell and stir your cravings.
- Febreese is your friend

Nothing will help you to the extent that having the psychological willpower to quit will. If you don't want to quit, or don't think you *can* quit, you very likely won't succeed.

Some of the above things you've tried surely help, but only in concert with (1) deciding you want to quit, and (2) remaining convinced of #1.

I quit smoking about 3 years ago. It was one of the best things I ever did. I still get cravings, however, and as myke said it's all about your will not to do it anymore. I walk by people smoking and get a craving, but I try to block it out and move along.

I hope this isn't too off topic...

I met this absolutely amazing girl a few weeks ago and she is perfect in every aspect except for the fact that she smokes.

Is there a tactful way way that I can ofer to help and what should I do?

[quote name='Brak']Smoking butts?

I also caught this kid with a cock he made out of clay, in his backpack, which he sculpted from stolen clay from the art room.[/QUOTE]

Well alright then.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I hope this isn't too off topic...

I met this absolutely amazing girl a few weeks ago and she is perfect in every aspect except for the fact that she smokes.

Is there a tactful way way that I can ofer to help and what should I do?[/quote]
I'm sure she'll love you, you just met, and you already want her to make a drastic lifestyle change. That would be like her going up to you, saying "I wanna date you, but you gotta stop masturbating first."

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm sure she'll love you, you just met, and you already want her to make a drastic lifestyle change.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. If you can't deal with it, go back to being single. If you want to be mature, or, preferrably, not scare her off right away, wait until you date for 6 months or so before making even the *slightest* insinuation that you would like her to quit. Even at that point, you should only take it up if she mentions it first.

If you don't like it, then feel free to tell her to quit. If nothing else, you'll successfully manage to free up your weekends again this way.

I used to say quitting smoking was not the hard part - staying quit was the hard part. I smoked for 20 years - not much 1/3 pack a day at the end. I attempted to quit more times than I can count (all cold turkey) - some times as long as as 6-8 months. I made the mistake of thinking I could be a casual smoker - "I'll just have this one pack on this one special weekend" and slowly I would be hooked again. My doctor asked if I wanted something to help. I asked him how long the physical addiction lasts and he said 2 weeks (if I remember correctly). I just laughed - I told him that I could quit for two weeks pretty easily. I realized that it was more of a mental addiction and the fact that I LOVED to smoke - so what if it killed me.

I finally have quit now for 4.5 years - I just realized that I couldn't even have 1 smoke - ever. Try to stay away from friends that smoke especially during weak moments like when you drink.

I don't think about smoking on a daily basis anymore but they are definitely times when I think how nice it would be to have one. But it's just a passing thought at this point.

Good Luck!

[quote name='Quackzilla']I hope this isn't too off topic...

Is there a tactful way way that I can ofer to help and what should I do?[/QUOTE]

You should refer her to me, a fellow smoker. She and I will get along awesomely.

[quote name='Scobie']You should refer her to me, a fellow smoker. She and I will get along awesomely.[/quote]

Me too. I'm not quitting anytime soon. Pictures please.

I actually know someone who will only date chicks who DO smoke. He's the kinda guy who sees a chick vomitting in an alley, and thinks "Now THERE is the girl of my dreams!"

bread's done
Back