Who is getting Vista?

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
So Vista comes out tommorow and alot of places like frys are offering a ton of free stuff if you buy vista so wether you want the free stuff and vista or just want vista I wanted to see who was getting.

I know I might get flamed for this but what I am going to do is download a copy of it off the internet and try it for 30 days and if I like it buy it if not reinstall XP.

So is anyone getting it this week?

no plans on gettingit, as m$ shipped me a copy of vista business for free through the power together promotion they had....

NO,

I played with Vista 64bit version only because I was ready to use an OS that takes advantage of my processor and I was dissapointed in support of 64bit os, I will say for normal non gamer/ coprate office user Vista 64bit is super smooth. Certain Software didnt' work right and Games were not as fast as running on 32bit so I went back to xp and currently have no reason to go to 32bit vista. I have a feeling vista uptake is going to be slower than any other MS OS, because prettier gui doesn't sell oses, Xp offered more company support and stability over the already great Win 2000, Win 2000 was just so much better than 98. But what can we say vista brings over Xp. A prettier gui, and promise of direct x 10 being so great...... well not allot of games seem to show alot of promise for dx 10, Crysis and Flight Sim X, Flight Sim X already is a system hog for DX 9 pretties turn wide open and well Crysis how much of it will be extra because of DX 10 especially when there isn't any cheaper mid priced DX 10 cards showing up anytime soon.

I'm going to build a computer in a few months, and I'll put Vista on it when I can *find* a copy. I'm hoping my university will hook me up for cheap.

my work will be getting it soon.. since all of client will have a chance of installing it. hopefully I can score a copy from there or atleast I'll know if it is worth it.

I waiting for the final driver versions for the Creative X-Fi Soundcard. Supposedly it isn't supported, leaving me to wonder...huh?!?

I'm at school Tuesday through Thursday, but I will be picking up Vista on Friday. DX10 and DX9L should be nice, and I'm going to be upgrading to Vista at some point no matter what... so might as well grab it now.

Well, I just got a dell and they are giving me Vista. I just had to pay shipping. It has XP installed on it now. So I think it's just the upgrade Vista home media thingy.

No way. Even with the free Vista Business that Microsoft sent me sitting in front of me. Bloated, runs games slower, no hardware sound acceleration anymore, not to mention a plethora of other things...can't find a single reason why anyone would want to use it really.

The no hardware sound acceleration thing blows my mind...

I have no plans to buy it, but if I end up getting a Windows notebook (see my e1705 versus m1710 thread!) then I'll be getting a copy for "free" that I plan on using...unless it's so terrible I end up back with XP.

my mom just got a laptop and said she'll send away for the free upgrades for Office and Vista and send them my way. Hopefully they're not tied to Gateway hardware like system restore discs are...

Not gonna get it anytime soon. I really don't want to have to buy a new computer right now as what I have works fine for what I've got. I may end up going all OS X at some point anyway...

I've got a copy of Vista Business from my work. But I'm not sure I can do a 64 bit install of it. Also the driver support blows so I'm going to wait 3 to 6 months before I take the dive.

I'm still running RC2 5744 on a PC at work and I'm using that to get the feel of the system.

I did that power together deal to get my free copy, and boy does vista SUCK! I installed it on an extra Hard disk, and it ask for 40 gigs and at least a 2.6ghz CPU or better plus a gig of ram. (but trust me you'll need a lot better than that). But get I free copies from school too ( comp science class) so I will have see if Ultimate fairs any better.

I'm considering getting it. My PC should be able to run it quite smoothly (P4 3.4GHz w/HT, 2 gig DDR2 ram, 7600GT) but I don't know if it'll be worth the $120 or so (via Newegg) to get it.

Plus, I enjoy having the extra overhead to run XP.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I'm considering getting it. My PC should be able to run it quite smoothly (P4 3.4GHz w/HT, 2 gig DDR2 ram, 7600GT) but I don't know if it'll be worth the $120 or so (via Newegg) to get it.

Plus, I enjoy having the extra overhead to run XP.[/quote]

IMO there is just not enough vista support to even warrant it at this point. Not trying to be a downer but, yeah. I Run a P4 OCed to 3.6ghz with a sapphire X800 Pro it didn't work well, but that might just be me.

I figure the local school technology store will get me a pretty good discount on it, so I'll pick it up that way.

They can work out the problems first.

I'll wait until I upgrade my computer and until there is more support for it.
When I do, I'll probably have one of my friends in college grab it for me.

[quote name='coolsteel']Nah I can wait until service pack 1 is out since every windows out the door has a ton of bugs.[/QUOTE]
Same, plus there's really no point in upgrading now unless you arent happy with XP SP2

There's absolutely NO point in upgrading right now, so I'll wait. I'll prolly have to rebuild my whole PC just to run it decently anyway, and I don't feel like spending the money and taking the time to do that.

I remember going to the Windows 95 midnight launch, that was crazy fun! I guess 'cos Win95 was actually leaps ahead of 98. Vista is....yawn!...so what? Better security? Bah! 3D flip? Who cares?

That said, I still want it. Just not for 6 months to a year.

I just realized...when/if I get a Windows laptop, I won't know if any problems are from the hardware, or from Vista...

That's going to kind of stink for making sure it works right.

I'm assuming half of this hate towards vista is because you're cheap ass gamers. I have mine ordered and am fully looking forward to install it when it gets here later this week, that along with the new speakers I ordered as well.

Sure xp is fine, but Vista is the new thing and I am excited to be getting it.

Granted though if I didn't have a newegg preferred account to charge all this to I probably would have held off as well.

I know that I'll be getting a new computer by this summer so that is when I'll get Vista which I'm sure it will come pre-bundled with it.

[quote name='red flare graf']No.

I think the general consensus is no.[/QUOTE]

The general consensus here on CAG is "no" because everyone is too cheap to buy it. Note the people who will be trying to get free copies from work and school. They want it, just don't want to buy it.

Yeah well I have heard all the stories about Vista being slow but I am going to try it but still keep my XP install disc close at hand.

I've been using the final version of Vista since November, and it's really nice. It's very stable and quite fast. My work and home computers run faster with Vista than XP. (Vista is multi-threaded, so it takes advantage of dual core computers) It even runs well on my tablet which is a 1.73 Pentium M, 1 gig mem, 64mb video card.

[quote name='coolsteel']Nah I can wait until service pack 1 is out since every windows out the door has a ton of bugs.[/quote]

It's not that buggy at all. It's on par with the current revison of XP.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Bought it 3 years ago when it was called Mac OSX Panther.[/quote]

Gotta love stupid people that love to talk out of their ass...

Al Capwned? I've always been intrigued by OSX but can't be bothered to try it because it would cost me $500 for a Mac mini and because I'm a creature of habit (grew up using Windows).

in 15 mins, I gave you 3 big reasons to just go Mac.

Macs have been doing this shit for years. And they can do Windows Xp and Vista if you needed too.

Not only that... The new OSX is coming out.

No viruses, No spyware and "putting users back in control of their PC's" (actual Bill Quote) since 2001. The only thing people talk about Macs these days is games. I have no idea why someone would put games on their workstation, but I guess some people cant seperate the two. Still, theres WoW, COD2, Quake 4, Sims 2, and a shitload others. Look on Apple.com.

bread's done
Back