Who legally would have been in the wrong? (Car question)

Moses144

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Last night, in the parking lot of a Home Depot, my mother and I were looking for a space to park. She finds one, on our right. She goes a little left to get a good angle with what I feel to be perfectly good speed (but without using her turning signal) and she started to turn right. Suddenly, within half a second of us already turning right, I see a car come up on our right, to the point of I had to yell to stop. My mother did, and when she did, the other car was already next to us, stopped, most definitely because she had nearly been in an accident. Apparently they exchanged dirty looks, but I didn't look at either one. The other car then backed up and we parked ... then the other car went into a handicapped space. Yes, they had the handicap sign in their car.

Who would have been wrong if there was an accident? Would we have, because we would have hit her side? And we didn't use a turning signal? Or, logically (although maybe not legally), her fault, because she decided to immediately try to pass someone in a parking lot by flooring it by them?

I don't know but from your explanation it certainly sounds like the other guy was the one driving like a maniac.

I've heard parking lots are private property so it can be dicey when accidents happen in one. No idea if that's a load of :bs: or not though.

[quote name='wubb']I've heard parking lots are private property so it can be dicey when accidents happen in one. No idea if that's a load of :bs: or not though.[/quote]

I heard that parking lots are dicey because there are no skid marks or other tell-tale signs to serve as evidence.

Depends on who made the initial impact (though it would be hard to tell, frankly, in your case, though they would be more likely to be liable).

State laws, though, confuse things; I don't know much about PA law.

I almost got hit by some old dude at Sam's Club .

He was hailing ass to the handicapped spots without giving a shit what was in his way .

He ended up parking crooked over the lines , [I hate when people don't center their cars]

I was pissed , I was almost going to confront him about it , but then I thought whatever he's got less time to live than me .

[quote name='Richlough']I almost got hit by some old dude at Sam's Club .

He was hailing ass to the handicapped spots without giving a shit what was in his way .

He ended up parking crooked over the lines , [I hate when people don't center their cars]

I was pissed , I was almost going to confront him about it , but then I thought whatever he's got less time to live than me .[/quote]

Sorry to go OT but...

The parking crooked and taking up 2 spots pisses me off too, though not as bad as my wife. When a car does and ends up blocking one of our doors or making it difficult to enter from one side of the car, my wife tends to eat a piece of chocolate, then she gathers a large chocolately loogie in her mouth and spits it out at the car, usually at the driver window or door handle...I know its classy!

Other things she's done, is she printed labels that said, "hey asshole thanks for deciding to park like a jackass..." or something like that and then she sticks it on their window or by the handle...just regular labels, they peel off without problems..

I've needed those labels! :mrgreen:

Even more OT - Why is it that people think it makes it okay to park in a handicap spot as long as you park diagonally across the spot and the slashed out extra space they put beside those spots? It's like they're saying "Hey I know I shouldn't be parked here, but look how crazy I pulled in? I'm obviously in a big rush and will be right back!"

[quote name='Moses144']Who would have been wrong if there was an accident? Would we have, because we would have hit her side? And we didn't use a turning signal? Or, logically (although maybe not legally), her fault, because she decided to immediately try to pass someone in a parking lot by flooring it by them?[/quote]
If there was a collision, they probably would be more liable. But you guys were in the wrong because your mom didn't even use a turn signal. Most people would be flipping you the bird in this situation. I know what you mean when you swerve left to make that quick right into the parking lot, but you can't assume everyone is a mind reader.

[quote name='kaw']I'm no expert, but it sounds like you were both at fault.[/QUOTE]

I agree here, without a turn signal. The other driver has no idea of what your doing. So to him/her you were driving slow, and they wanted to get around you. They're also at fault because it seemed as if they were speeding.

I use my signals for everything even turning into a driveway.

[quote name='SithFran']But I'd say about 90% of people don't use signals when parking.[/quote]
I don't either, unless there is a car behind me or a car in front coming from the other direction.

If this guy was passing you on the right, then he's an idiot. You guys are in a parking lot...it's pretty obvious that you are probably looking for a parking spot, so the whole, "They don't know what you're doing," argument is pretty weak.

I hate how big of idiots people can be in a parking lot. Especially with the aforementioned diagonal parking or parking so close you can barely open your doors. Do they really expect to park 4 inches from another car and not get a dent in their door or a big chocolate loogie on their window?

Thats what turn signals are for, use them!!! I really hate people who don't use them or only turn them on RIGHT before they turn. Use them 20 yards away so I know you're turning, dumbasses(not directed at OP).

[quote name='GuyWithGun']If this guy was passing you on the right, then he's an idiot. You guys are in a parking lot...it's pretty obvious that you are probably looking for a parking spot, so the whole, "They don't know what you're doing," argument is pretty weak.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to disagree about the "they don't know what your doing is weak" just cause its a parking lot doesn't mean your parking. People drive into lots to beat traffic lights. You could be leaving one store, and going through another stores lot. Could be on your way out of said lot. Pull into them to kill time, make a call etc

Either way both are at fault. One seemed to be speeding, and tried to pass on the right. Another wasn't signaling.

[quote name='Moses144']Last night, in the parking lot of a Home Depot, my mother and I were looking for a space to park. She finds one, on our right. She goes a little left to get a good angle with what I feel to be perfectly good speed (but without using her turning signal) and she started to turn right. Suddenly, within half a second of us already turning right, I see a car come up on our right, to the point of I had to yell to stop. My mother did, and when she did, the other car was already next to us, stopped, most definitely because she had nearly been in an accident. Apparently they exchanged dirty looks, but I didn't look at either one. The other car then backed up and we parked ... then the other car went into a handicapped space. Yes, they had the handicap sign in their car.

Who would have been wrong if there was an accident? Would we have, because we would have hit her side? And we didn't use a turning signal? Or, logically (although maybe not legally), her fault, because she decided to immediately try to pass someone in a parking lot by flooring it by them?[/QUOTE]

I think it would be the Other Drivers fault. It was clearly obvious what your mother was doing ( parking car ). The driver behind had zero patience like most people these days, and tried to pass you when they should have stopped and seen what your doing before almost casusing an accident.

As stated private property parking lots are dicey.

My mom was parked in a Sam's parking lot getting ready to leave. Some lady in a caddy didnt want to drive all the way down the parking lot lane to come back the other way so as most people do, she found what she thought was a good spot to just cut across and at some point wasnt paying attn and nailing the side of my mom's suburban.

Cops couldnt do anything being private property. My mom had to get some help to from some guys to lift up as much as they could on my mom's truck to let the other lady back out without totally ripping off car parts etc.

Since there was no real witness, no parking lot surveillance to get, no police report, both insurance companies said its a her word vs the other ladies word situation.

bread's done
Back