who needs 80 GB?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
If the 40 gig PS3 is introduced at a lower price than the 80 gig, should I consider buying it if all I want to do is play PS3 games on my HDTV and maybe watch a few movies? What kind of gamer is going to need 80 gigs?

I have about 20 CDs and game saves for about 40 games on my old Xbox and I've barely touched my memory. If I could have saved money by buying an Xbox with a smaller hard drive, I would have been better off as I have used less than 1/6th of the total memory.

Can you save music to your PS3 hard drive just like on the old Xbox? Should I consider saving $100 on 40 gigs of space if the 40 gig model comes out? What else will I have to sacrifice if I want to save $100?

They are unconfirmed rumors at this point, but IF both prices are correct and there are no other differences between the two models (aside from the obvious 40GB difference), then I say save the money. 40GB will definitely suffice. You can save music, movies, and pictures, but, to me, that still doesn't justify the price tag for an extra 40GB.

Of course, it's possible the 40GB is not real, or that the 40GB will be lacking other features, so I can't say for sure at this point.

I have a ton of demos, videos, some music, PSN games, and Ninja Gaiden, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Fighter 5, and Virtua Tennis 3 installed, plus a 10 GB Linux install and I still have 13 GB free out of 60 GB. 40 GB would probably be fine, and then if not, you could just install a bigger HDD. That is, unless they cut some more stuff out, like the card reader I never use, or the wireless which I do use.

[quote name='dpatel']They are unconfirmed rumors at this point, but IF both prices are correct and there are no other differences between the two models (aside from the obvious 40GB difference), then I say save the money. 40GB will definitely suffice. You can save music, movies, and pictures, but, to me, that still doesn't justify the price tag for an extra 40GB.

Of course, it's possible the 40GB is not real, or that the 40GB will be lacking other features, so I can't say for sure at this point.[/QUOTE]I guarantee a 40GB will basically be the same as the 20GB, but 40GB HDD.

Space is not going to be an issue w/ the PS3, if you want to save some money initially by getting a version with a smaller hard drive, its not a problem, becuase you can always upgrade, and get a bigger hard drive, on sale.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I guarantee a 40GB will basically be the same as the 20GB, but 40GB HDD.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right.

I have used somewhere around 80 of my 160 with trailers, demos, linux, etc..

Installing the new drive was a piece of cake, go for the 40, and when you run low on room (if ever) get a larger one.

[quote name='steve_k']If the 40 gig PS3 is introduced at a lower price than the 80 gig, should I consider buying it if all I want to do is play PS3 games on my HDTV and maybe watch a few movies? What kind of gamer is going to need 80 gigs?

I have about 20 CDs and game saves for about 40 games on my old Xbox and I've barely touched my memory. If I could have saved money by buying an Xbox with a smaller hard drive, I would have been better off as I have used less than 1/6th of the total memory.

Can you save music to your PS3 hard drive just like on the old Xbox? Should I consider saving $100 on 40 gigs of space if the 40 gig model comes out? What else will I have to sacrifice if I want to save $100?[/quote]

Xbox game file saves, on average, weren't very large to begin with since most Xbox games were cross platform games that had to have save files that could fit onto a tiny GameCube or PS2 memory card (8MB in size). In reality, on an Xbox 1, you only got around 3 or 4GB available for actual save files/DLC/music. The rest of the space were for system files and for temporary data caching so that games would load faster.

The PS3 60GB is really more like 46GB out of the box so 40GB is going to be in the low 30GBs in reality. Some games have huge caches that are permanent unless erased by the user since they would take so long to copy back to the system, like Oblivion alone has a 4GB cache. Game demos, on average, take 1GB, which is a free and nice way to check out a new game before buying it. The PS3 can also store movie files, which are around 500MB for HD files that are downloaded from the PS store.

However, you can always upgrade the hard drive. The only downside I see is if the 40GB version comes stripped like the old 20GB with no WiFi or memory card ports, since wireless internet adaptors cost around $80 alone for game consoles.

The price difference between the 2 will either be $100 or $200.

I can guarantee you for that money, it WILL have features taken out. Off the bat, I guarantee Wifi will be out. Other than that, no idea. But I promise features will be taken out, the question is which.

There's no way 40gb alone would be the price difference or they'd essentially be killing their 80gb model.

you'll need a bigger HDD drive the xbox "old one" HDD is only 4gbs the Xbox 360 one is 20gb, but thing is the ps3 game updates take alot of space you see on my ps3 i have the 60gb and im down to about 15 or less

4 years from now the extra 20 or 40 gigs could be useful. If you end up downloading quite a few add-on's and PS Network games you'll definitely want the space.

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']you'll need a bigger HDD drive the xbox "old one" HDD is only 4gbs the Xbox 360 one is 20gb, but thing is the ps3 game updates take alot of space you see on my ps3 i have the 60gb and im down to about 15 or less[/quote]

My Xbox came from the factory in 2002 with a 10gb hard-drive.

Game updates don't take space as they're firm-ware and operating system updates. They replace files and only add a few. What takes space on a PS3 is game demos and videos. The PS Store games don't take a lot of space unless you're buying PS 1 games which I think is a bit dumb to do.

On my 60gb I have over 50GB free and I have: Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix, Castlevania, Sudoku, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Demo, Heavenly Sword Demo.

[quote name='espywork']The PS3 60GB is really more like 46GB out of the box so 40GB is going to be in the low 30GBs in reality.[/QUOTE]More like 55GB, and no.

get the 60GB with the EE chip and upgrade the HDD to a 200GB and you're all set. changing HDDs on the PS3 is super easy but i still have over 30GB of free space even with all the trailers and demos i d/led so i'm not gonna upgrade yet.

i have a 120gb in mine and it's often full... of course, i have a ton of pictures, movies and music. Plus, i always forget to delete the demos that i don't play.

Well I just had a 120GB overnight shipped to me from NewEgg. I'm installing it later but I have a shitty 20 gig and it won't even let me play my games half the time saying "you need at least 300 more MB of space in order to play this game"

[quote name='NamelessMC']My Xbox came from the factory in 2002 with a 10gb hard-drive.

Game updates don't take space as they're firm-ware and operating system updates. They replace files and only add a few.[/quote]

srry i ment the only enabled games such as call of duty3 300+mb i blieve and rfall of mand 600mb+, idk when ig to my xbox but when i went to open it up it was around 4gb >

My Xbox came from the factory in 2002 with a 10gb hard-drive.

The hard drives come factory-installed with hard drives of 10GB or so in size, but only 4GB of that space is available to the user. The other 2 is used as overhead, another 3 is used as a temporary cache to temporarily speed up loading, and around 1GB is used for system files. Some Xboxs were given larger hard drives, but the space is unused by the system.

On my 60gb I have over 50GB free and I have: Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix, Castlevania, Sudoku, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Demo, Heavenly Sword Demo.

Weird I have like six demos but I have like 42GB free.

bread's done
Back