Who reads a game's instruction manual?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Back in the day, I use to read through a game's instruction manual before even starting a game, weither it was for the PC or home system. Now a days, I barely even look at the manual and jump right into the game. Anyone here skip the manual and try to figure things out on there own?

The only time I read the manual is if I can't figure something out within a minute or two, like breaking into a safe in Splinter Cell: DA. Sometimes a game reveals more of the plot in the manual than in the actual game itself (Gears of War most recently), so I'll read it then as well.

I use to read it but not always right away, depended on the mood I'm in. Usually now I just start the game but I often skim over the manual for the heck of it before or close to when I start playing.

When I get a game, I tend to play it first. Once I've gotten used to the general gameplay and control scheme (1-3 hours), I'll read through the manual and see if I've missed anything.

I find that when I read the manual first, I get overloaded with information and have a tendency of ignoring or overlooking things, whereas if I read it after getting familiar with the controls, I'll find things that I can use to "enhance" my experience.

Always read it cover-to-cover, nearly 99% of the time.

Ever since me and my friend skipped reading the manual for Mystical Ninja 64, and never knew about the robot's laser. We were wondering why a lot of the boss battles were nearly impossible, and after we beat the game and randomly read the manual, we felt pretty silly. It turns out the laser does mad damage, and we could've had a much easier time.

Always read the manual. You never know what you might be missing.

I only read the manual if I have a small problem like controls or seeing about an item in the game. Many games come with tutorials now which are must better than reading a manual.

[quote name='jlarlee']most games point everything out in tutorials anyways[/QUOTE]

yea you noticed that too? Newer games have a "trainer" level ..for example PoP:TTT showing you how to run the walls.

Sometimes I'll glance at the controls, but usually only if I have a problem with controls or don't know wtf some item is.

I always do, because I'm too afraid that there will be some not-obvious thing that I didn't realize I could do.

I generally only look at the instructions if theres something the game doesn't clarify on its own. IE- What does that (~) symbol mean? Generally, the fucking manual doesn't tell me what I was looking for anyways.

Basically depends on the game. Most games are easy to figure out, but a game like Metal Gear Solid has a few little tricks or moves that you can't really know about unless you breeze through the manuals. Hardly ever read 'em though.

I often browse the instructions to sort of psyche myself up for a game, or just to establish that I'll be familiar with the controls. It's interesting to note how much briefer some manuals have gotten over the years. Look at most EA games: Their instructions are around 8 pages, and don't say crap.

I used to always read the manual, now I never do. I rarely even remove it from the inside from cover of the dvd box. 99.9% of games have tutorials nowadays anyway.

And most manuals for newer games dont even begin to touch on all the things you can do in a game. Go look at the instructions for any EA game from the last couple of years. 8 pages, black & white, and doesnt even go into 10% of the options and features of the game.

Depends if I'm driving back from the store. I'll read it if I'm not driving. I'll read it at home if I'm having trouble with something.

I always read them, though I prefer when games walk you through how to play them (as almost all games do).

A lot of times I don't worry about totally understanding how stuff works-like recently I started Final Fantasy 12 and Path of Neo. Both look kind of confusing from their manuals, but walk you through playing them so it's really easy.

I'd almost prefer if most of the stuff you're taught in the game isn't duplicated in the manual, just so I can get to the game faster.

I always read through the manual with every game I play, and then I feel stupid when the game takes you through a damn tutorial a few minutes in.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I always read through the manual with every game I play, and then I feel stupid when the game takes you through a damn tutorial a few minutes in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That's why I wish they'd leave redundant stuff out of the manual, and just have it as a quick reference guide or something like that.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Always flip through the manual first, then throw the game in.[/quote]

Ditto...I also always watch the opening trailer.

I'm a manual whore, ever since I loved reading as a kid, I'd be the first to breeze through a manual when a game was opened. I read front to back before I start the game, to psyche myself and to be sure I know what's going on. I'll even read about status effects in RPG manuals just to be sure. ("What is this poison?")

I actually didn't read FF5 advance's manual that much, since this is my 3rd time at the game, still haven't beaten it though.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I always read through the manual with every game I play, and then I feel stupid when the game takes you through a damn tutorial a few minutes in.[/quote]

Too true. And the friggin' tutorial's always clearer than the manual is, anyway. I'm still going to keep reading them.

I used to but every single AAA game these days has a tutorial, so there is never a point to reading the manual.

Most manuals are like 7 pages long now, anyways.

Remember when manuals used to have style and full color original artwork and were fun to read maybe while you were using the bathroom? Shit, these days they are in black and white, confusing, and I'm done with the manual before I've even sat down on the toilet.

I usually skim the manual during the install process, but usually the install is done before I complete the manual so meh.

Ya agreed with roufuss I use to love reading my SNES manuals...thye were in full color with those monkeys all over, a long story in front, and that cranky guy making his one liners =p

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I never even take the manual out of the box, or heck, even touch it. I don't need it.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

The last 5 or 6 360 games I've played I never took the manual out of the box. I think I did for Gears of War just because I needed SOMETHING to read while on the toilet.

[quote name='Roufuss']Same here.

The last 5 or 6 360 games I've played I never took the manual out of the box. I think I did for Gears of War just because I needed SOMETHING to read while on the toilet.[/quote]I just stare at the tile while giving my poops names. "Uh oh, here comes Teddy Roosevelt! Oooooh, Jesse Jackson was a wet one. Ahhh, that Luke Perry turd really hurt my asshole."

Ill read the manual after I finished the game, or if Im just bored. If Im super excited, Ill read it on the drive back to home.

I do sometimes, for example gears of war just to read to see how to do Active Reload and such.

bread's done
Back