Who's behind Valerie Plame? Oh, MY...KARL ROVE!

[quote name='evilmax17']Yeah EZB, I just finished watching this snippet:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Scotty_Rove.mov

Sounds like the press is finally speaking up and calling people on things. Do you think anything will really come of this? Will justice be served, or will this be swept under the carpet?[/QUOTE]

That video clip, as they say, is comedy gold.

I said above that Rove will ride the "unknowing" defense into acquital. Even though I'll admit that I'm thrilled at the potential of Rove's criminal skewering, there were more white house sources, and the press should continue their inquiries, but also try to find out who the other(s) are.

Someone wrote an op-ed a few weeks ago, saying that in this current political climate, partisan protectionism would ensure that a scandal the size of Watergate would not have been investigated or followed up on. I agree with that entirely, even though we're dealing with a criminal investigation here.

OTOH, many analysts have pointed out that it isn't the crime that makes a scandal, but the cover-up. If that is true, then (and only then) will we be onto something.

As coffman pointed out, Rove never had access to classified information. There's still a bigger fish to fry - Rumsfeld or Cheney, perhaps?

[quote name='evilmax17']Yeah EZB, I just finished watching this snippet:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Scotty_Rove.mov

Sounds like the press is finally speaking up and calling people on things. Do you think anything will really come of this? Will justice be served, or will this be swept under the carpet?[/QUOTE]

I think that depends on the prosecutor.

So you don't have to venture over there yourself, here's some interesting info from the Drudge Report:

NY TIMES FIGHTS BACK: PLANS FRONT SPLASH ON ROVE; REPORTER SITS IN JAIL
Top editors of the NY TIMES made the decision Monday afternoon to turn up the heat on White House adviser Karl Rove.

The TIMES is planning to lead Tuesday editions with growing calls for Rove's resignation, newsroom sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT, a powerplay in this summer's DC all-star game of high stakes finger pointing and intrigue.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3kr.htm

It was amusing to listen to talk radio this afternoon. One host thought it ridiculous to compare this to Clinton's scandal because Rove didn't use specific names and Clinton specifically lied. Failing to mention the fact that he mentioned that an undercover agent was someone's wife... Not only that but lying about an affair is one hell of a lot less dangerous than revealing undercover CIA agents.

[quote name='camoor']I want to know what the rest of America wants to know.

What does Jeff Gannon think??[/QUOTE]

F that, I wanna know what PAD thinks now that Rove has admitted that he mentioned her but not by name.

[quote name='camoor']I want to know what the rest of America wants to know.

What does Jeff Gannon think??[/QUOTE]

Mr McClellan, how does it feel to be asked the same question over and over when you've already given the press a clear and concise answer? Also, how does it feel to be so incredibly awesome?

Did I mention that I'm 8" cut?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']F that, I wanna know what PAD thinks now that Rove has admitted that he mentioned her but not by name.[/QUOTE]

Probably will say that Karl Rove and the rest of the Republicans can do no wrong because they were appointed by Jesus; therefore, anyone of us that believes this liberal media conspiracy is a sinner and should be sent to a death concentration camp along with the rest of our innocent family and friends.

It's funny how the right's been eerily quiet on this thread.

not-so-fantastic-4.jpg

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Totally bullshit, a journalist needs to be able to protect their sources. Seriously, how many people are going to blow the whistle on corrupt organizations and superiors if they risk being found out. The whole point of giving anonymous leads and evidence goes out the window if the journalist can be forced to give away your anonymity.[/QUOTE]
This isn't protecting a source to a story.

It is an act of treason, a name of an undercover CIA operative was leaked as an act of revenge and several journalists willfully cooperated for personal gain.

People should be going to jail.

[quote name='Quackzilla']This isn't protecting a source to a story.

It is an act of treason, a name of an undercover CIA operative was leaked as an act of revenge and several journalists willfully cooperated for personal gain.

People should be going to jail.[/QUOTE]

Also, alonzo, the whistle-blower was .... Wilson. Wilson was not protected for coming forward. Those journalists assisted the White House by retaliating against him. To protect future whistleblowers, justice must now be served.

I would just like to add that Karl Rove hates freedom and is an enemy of democracy.
He also keeps waffling on the issue of whether or not he is a traitor.
Freedom is on the march...we are turning a corner.

I find this whole Plame leak quite facinating. It's liek something from Sherlock Holmes. Piecing togetgher who knew what and when. At fiorst I didn't think Rove was involved because he couldn't be that stupid. But maybe I was wrong. Here's my take on it.

First, Rove appears to be Matt Cooper's primary source. This is what Matt wrote that Rove said.

"it was, KR said, wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on wmd [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip."

So that leads to four questions.

1) Did Rove give away the agents Identity? Obviously yes.
2) Did Rove state that Plame worked for the CIA? Yes. It could be argued that the agency could be any agency in Washington, I'm sure their were a lot of them. But earlier they were referring tio the CIA so that is definately the agency Rove is mentioning.
3) Did Rove reveal what Plame was doing as an agent? Yes. That she was working in cases involving WMD. It's not a detailed explanation of her job but it does reveal the sensitivity of her work.
4) Did Rive reveal that she was an undercover agent? No. And that's a big factor because it's leads to question number five, a big question still unasnwered.
5) Did Rove know Plame was an undercover agent? There are three possible answers.

Answer A) No he did not know she worked undercover. And had absolutely no prior knowledge or notification in any form (briefing, email, memo, etc.) that she was an undercover agent.
Answer B) Maybe. He had recieved prior information that she was an agent, but either forgot or did not noticed she was undercover. For example, maybe there was a memo that passed by his desk detailing that she worked for the CIA and what she does, But he only skimmed it and remembered that she worked for the CIA and gave Wilson approval. Not any of the particulars. In that way, it would be carelessness which caused the "leak." An unhappy accident due.
Answer C) Yes, he did know she was an undercover agent and revealed this info anyway. Either because he was stupid, didn't think it would be printed, or was attempting to be intenionally malicious.

Now, intent is a big factor. For example, it's been mentioned that Cooper called Rove, not Rove calling cooper. That's important. If rove had called cooper up and said, "Hey, the reason Wilson is full of BS is because his wife okayed the triop and they have a grudge and yada, yada, yada," then it would definately appear malicious. But from my reading of things over the past two days, It appears that Cooper called, rove, theyw ere just talkign, about other things, and Plame was one of the last things to come up in their conversation. Almost as an afterthought. Which leads me to believe it was an unintenional slip by Karl Rove. Giving him the benefit of the doubt it is.

But then why the cover-up? And this is a cover-up. The Wh ahs been stalling. Intentionally. It's obvious now. So teh question is, what did the White House know? Did the president know about Rove's involvement? Probably yes. And how do they view it? If it was an accident, and Rove just mispoke carelessly, then why not the White House just come out and say so. Especially after all their lip serive to harsh justice on the leaker.

I guess criminality is a large part. From what I've read of the legal issues, as long as the leak wasn't intentional (and there is no where enough evidence right now to prove it an intentional malicious act) the law has not been broken. It was a mistake, an unfortunate accident, but Rove would not be legally liable for outing Plame. So, assuming it wasn't intentional it would have been in the best interest iof the WH to realase the info ASAP just to get it over and done.

But then again, they may see it as an untintentional accidnet, and they don't want Rove to be hurt by any fallout from a small and simple mistake with larger consequences than he may have realized at the time he said that sentence. Therefore, that's why the cover-up. To prevent a friend of teh White House from being cruicified for an innocent mistake he didn't mean and that anyone at the WH could have done. Why out the info when it could jeapordize his job. Instead, stall as long as you can, hope the story blows over, and luckily dodge the bullet of an unfortunate mistake.

By having a cover-up, and the cover-up is always worse than the crime, that puts things in a more suspicious light. It lends greater creedence that the "leak" was intentional, and that teh WH and Rove did not want to get caught. But that alone isn't proof that when he made the leak he intentionally wanted to out an undercover agent. It's just circumstancial evidence.

And what about Judith Miller, currently in jail. It's quick to assume that Rove was also her source. But we don't know that. If Rove was her source, then that's evidence that Rove revealed the info to two people. And depending on how he revealed that info to Miller, it could give much greater insight into if the leak was intentional or not. And that appears to be key. But it's perfectly possible that Miller has a separate source, not Rove, who revealed the same information. If there was a second source, who was that? And was that someone else in the White House? And if they were in the White House does that mean there was a conspiracy to leak the information if the second source appears to have done so more intentionally.

All and all it's a really thick and interesting plot. But right now, with the information we know, it appears that Rove accidentally spoke carelessly and revealed something he shouldn't. And the White House is covering his ass because they know it was an accident and don't want to a good man (in their eyes a good man, I'm not passing judgement) lose his job over somethign anyoen could have done in teh White House by mistake.

But the WH, the President, shoudl really come forward and shed some light on the subject. The more they cover up, the more suspicious it becomes. And this "ongoing investigation" crap isn't going to cut it, because for months now they've been pleading Rove's innocence. And now when it gets shown that the WH wasn't being truthful then they clam up. Of course, it's also possible nobody at the WH knew and this is as much a suprise to them. That seems unlikely though.

Anyway, it's getting thicker and thicker.

Quick question - isn't the penalty for treason death? Not that I support the death penalty. Kinda ironic since the president is a staunch supporter of the death penalty.

Russert was citing a Republican congressperson. Regardless, Russert still rules the universe, and is by far my favorite news personality.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']
But then why the cover-up? And this is a cover-up. The Wh ahs been stalling. Intentionally. It's obvious now. So teh question is, what did the White House know?

[/QUOTE]

My personal take is that Rove's isnt the original "leaker" but he knows who is and whomever it is, needs protecting (Cheney?)

I think Rove freely spoke of Wilson's wife because he thought it was already out there.

[quote name='usickenme']I think Rove freely spoke of Wilson's wife because he thought it was already out there.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rove was just trying to organize a bake sale for a local school. He is SO misunderstood.

lol, read Scotty get grilled again today on the Rove scandal. Here's a snippet:

QUESTION: You say you won’t discuss it, but the Republican National Committee and others working obviously on behalf of the White House, they put out this Wilson-Rove research and talking points, distributed to Republican surrogates, which include things like: Karl Rove discouraged a reporter from writing a false story.

QUESTION: And then other Republican surrogates are getting information such as: Cooper, the Time reporter, called Rove on the pretense of discussing welfare reform. Bill Kristol on Fox News, a friendly news channel to you, said that the conversation lasted for two minutes and it was just at the end that Rove discussed this.

So someone is providing this information. Are you, behind the scenes, directing a response to this story?

MCCLELLAN: You can talk to the RNC about what they put out. I’ll let them speak to that. What I know is that the president directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation. And as part of cooperating fully with that investigation, that means supporting the efforts by the investigators to come to a successful conclusion.

And that means not commenting on it from this podium.

QUESTION: Well…

MCCLELLAN: And, no, I understand your question.

QUESTION: … Fox News and other Republican surrogates are essentially saying that the conversation lasted for two minutes and that the subject was ostensibly welfare reform. They’re getting that information from here, from Karl Rove.

MCCLELLAN: And, again, you’re asking questions that are related to news reports about an ongoing, continuing investigation. And you’ve had my response on that…

(CROSSTALK)

QUESTION: At the very least, though, Scott, could you say whether or not you stand by your statement of September 29th, 2003, that it’s simply not true that Karl Rove disclosed the identity of a CIA operative?

Can you stand by that statement?

MCCLELLAN: I look forward to talking about this at some point, but it’s not the appropriate time to talk about those questions while the investigation is continuing.

QUESTION: Can we take that as a yes or a no?

QUESTION: This was a statement you made on the record 21 months ago. You very confidently asserted to us and to the American people that Rove told you he had nothing to do with it. Can you stand by that statement now?

MCCLELLAN: Yes, and I responded to these questions yesterday.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Another_day_Press_savages_White_House_over_Rove_0712.html

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Therefore, that's why the cover-up. To prevent a friend of teh White House [Rove] from being cruicified for an innocent mistake he didn't mean and that anyone at the WH could have done.[/QUOTE]

Rove being crucified. What delicious irony.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rove was just trying to organize a bake sale for a local school. He is SO misunderstood.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong..I still think Rove is a piece of garbage and his act of trying to discredit a white house critic with lies is disgusting. That's been the guys MO for years.

Here's yesterday's WH briefing. I haven't watched it yet. I will tonight. But it supposed to be more entertaining than the written transcript.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/07/20050711-3.v.html

"...a mischievous April Ryan of American Urban Radio Networks tried to get McClellan to say something -- anything -- about Rove. 'Who is Karl Rove as it relates to this administration?' she asked.

'I think I've responded,' McClellan answered."

It's official, the White House has no idea who Karl Rove is or what he does. :rofl:

[quote name='E-Z-B']lol, read Scotty get grilled again today on the Rove scandal. Here's a snippet:

QUESTION: You say you won’t discuss it, but the Republican National Committee and others working obviously on behalf of the White House, they put out this Wilson-Rove research and talking points, distributed to Republican surrogates, which include things like: Karl Rove discouraged a reporter from writing a false story.

QUESTION: And then other Republican surrogates are getting information such as: Cooper, the Time reporter, called Rove on the pretense of discussing welfare reform. Bill Kristol on Fox News, a friendly news channel to you, said that the conversation lasted for two minutes and it was just at the end that Rove discussed this.

So someone is providing this information. Are you, behind the scenes, directing a response to this story?

MCCLELLAN: You can talk to the RNC about what they put out. I’ll let them speak to that. What I know is that the president directed the White House to cooperate fully with the investigation. And as part of cooperating fully with that investigation, that means supporting the efforts by the investigators to come to a successful conclusion.

And that means not commenting on it from this podium.

QUESTION: Well…

MCCLELLAN: And, no, I understand your question.

QUESTION: … Fox News and other Republican surrogates are essentially saying that the conversation lasted for two minutes and that the subject was ostensibly welfare reform. They’re getting that information from here, from Karl Rove.

MCCLELLAN: And, again, you’re asking questions that are related to news reports about an ongoing, continuing investigation. And you’ve had my response on that…

(CROSSTALK)

QUESTION: At the very least, though, Scott, could you say whether or not you stand by your statement of September 29th, 2003, that it’s simply not true that Karl Rove disclosed the identity of a CIA operative?

Can you stand by that statement?

MCCLELLAN: I look forward to talking about this at some point, but it’s not the appropriate time to talk about those questions while the investigation is continuing.

QUESTION: Can we take that as a yes or a no?

QUESTION: This was a statement you made on the record 21 months ago. You very confidently asserted to us and to the American people that Rove told you he had nothing to do with it. Can you stand by that statement now?

MCCLELLAN: Yes, and I responded to these questions yesterday.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Another_day_Press_savages_White_House_over_Rove_0712.html[/QUOTE]

Video here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/07/20050712-4.html#

[quote name='Quackzilla']This isn't protecting a source to a story.

People should be going to jail.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. I think there's certain times when journalists should be compelled to reveal their sources. When national security is at stake and people's lives could be in danger is definetly one of those times. I mean who's to say that this is the only classified information that this individual has revealed (or will reveal in the future). When classified information is being leaked it is a very serious situation that needs to be solved as soon as possible.

have you guys see the RNC chairman interview on wolfblitzer? Throughout the interview he was trying to smear Hillary Cinton, John Kerry, and Howard Dean and saying how they're part of the moveon.org angry left. Then wolfblitzer showed him a short clip of Sen. Biden saying how it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who Wilson's wife is, and immeditetly the RNC chairman added Sen. Biden's name to Cinton, kerry, and Dean list. It's funny how many times he was repeatingly naming these people as the angry left.

[quote name='mingglf']have you guys see the RNC chairman interview on wolfblitzer? Throughout the interview he was trying to smear Hillary Cinton, John Kerry, and Howard Dean and saying how they're part of the moveon.org angry left. Then wolfblitzer showed him a short clip of Sen. Biden saying how it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who Wilson's wife is, and immeditetly the RNC chairman added Sen. Biden's name to Cinton, kerry, and Dean list. It's funny how many times he was repeatingly naming these people as the angry left.[/QUOTE]

Mehlman is simply doing his job. People who find the label "(R)" next to someone's name comforting will believe *anything* he says. Likewise with Dean (his (D) counterpart). His job is to bullshit anything and everything into making it look like the Republicans are under attack, to spin the issues to the point of general incoherence, and that the Republicans are doing absolutely everything right. Considering the past two days of WHPC briefings with McClellan, and that now even Bush himself has ignored questions, Mehlman has a *very* tough job to do. Here's to him.

Also, you're beyond oblivious if you think, even for a fleeting moment, that Mehlman has ever had anything resembling a heterosexual interest in his life. He's such a fucking queen screaming to be let out, it's not funny. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out the obvious. He's a fantastic bullshit artist, so once he comes out, the Dems will gladly take him under our wing.

Cooper Details Rove Conversations About Plame
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

WASHINGTON — Journalist Matt Cooper (search) on Wednesday confirmed to a grand jury that White House aide Karl Rove was his source for a story about a CIA operative that has investigators deciding whether any laws were broken by the leak of the agent's identity.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162406,00.html

[quote name='CheapyD']Cooper Details Rove Conversations About Plame
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

WASHINGTON — Journalist Matt Cooper (search) on Wednesday confirmed to a grand jury that White House aide Karl Rove was his source for a story about a CIA operative that has investigators deciding whether any laws were broken by the leak of the agent's identity.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162406,00.html[/QUOTE]
DAMN LIBERAL MEDIA!!! Oh wait, it's Fox News. :lol:

[quote name='CheapyD']Cooper Details Rove Conversations About Plame
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162406,00.html[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, a Fox news article that is damaging to a Republican. Well I never... :lol:
Edit: you beat me to it MBE

On a serious note, I want to make sure that I'm reading it right.

The reporter said that his source gave him the ok to release his name. He said that he wouldn't release the source due to their agreement. Now that the source has given the ok, he'll release it. He is saying that Rove is his source. So doesn't that mean that Rove gave him the ok to reveal the source (Rove)?:whistle2:k

What I find most ironic is the main defense that is being taken by Rove supporters to defend what he did. "Rove was guilty of nothing more than discouraging a reporter from writing an inaccurate story, according to RNC talking points circulated yesterday."

The funny thing was, the storry wasn't innacurate. Wilson was absolutely spot on correct and it was the White House that was wrong about Uranium. So extemists are still arguing that what Wilson said was untrue even though it was wholy accurate. It's just funny, that the main defense of Rove, is that he was trying to paint an accurate story as being innacturate.

Look, I think the guy made a stupid mistake, but that's still high incompetence and deserves some type of sanction. It may not be a fireable offense, but that's because, and lets be honest about this, it was a minimal but avoidable security breach.

Pretty lame how the GOP spin machine (ordered by Rove) keep pointing out it was a reasonable mistake. What I like to know is how did other reporters (Novak and Miller) got the same info as well (whom they also cited top administrative sources). I bet the only reason Rove let Cooper talk is because their conversation give the grand jury a reasonable doubt. Miller's and Novak's would indicate otherwise.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']What I find most ironic is the main defense that is being taken by Rove supporters to defend what he did. "Rove was guilty of nothing more than discouraging a reporter from writing an inaccurate story, according to RNC talking points circulated yesterday."

The funny thing was, the storry wasn't innacurate. Wilson was absolutely spot on correct and it was the White House that was wrong about Uranium. So extemists are still arguing that what Wilson said was untrue even though it was wholy accurate. It's just funny, that the main defense of Rove, is that he was trying to paint an accurate story as being innacturate.

Look, I think the guy made a stupid mistake, but that's still high incompetence and deserves some type of sanction. It may not be a fireable offense, but that's because, and lets be honest about this, it was a minimal but avoidable security breach.[/QUOTE]

the Bush administration put itself in the position to make it a firable offense though when it made the remarks about the leak a while back. Also Rove lied and like it was pointed out on TV the other day, Bush tries to play a straight shooter with the American public so him lying damages the credibility of the administration

also don't remember the quote exactly but someone should definately try and find the quote on what Bush 1 said about those who out CIA agents

[quote name='CaseyRyback']also don't remember the quote exactly but someone should definately try and find the quote on what Bush 1 said about those who out CIA agents[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of George H.W. Bush:

Even though I'm a tranquil guy now at this stage of my life, I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious, of traitors.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/speeches/1999/bush_speech_042699.html

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']

Look, I think the guy made a stupid mistake, but that's still high incompetence and deserves some type of sanction. It may not be a fireable offense, but that's because, and lets be honest about this, it was a minimal but avoidable security breach.[/QUOTE]

In a world where lying about blowjobs means impeachment, this is definately a fireable offense.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']In a world where lying about blowjobs means impeachment, this is definately a fireable offense.[/QUOTE]

But, 'lonzo, you have to undestand those... those blowjobs... they were... BLOWJOBS OF MASS DESTRUCTION! :D

Breaking news on http://www.rawstory.com/

Husband of outed CIA agent Valerie Plame tells Raw he believes Bush Administration, senior Bush aides had larger role in leak, political attack: 1130 ET...

No link yet. I think some of these guys that run this site work in Washington, as congressional aides, I believe.

Here's the rawstory interview with Joseph Wilson:

Wilson: Well, my view of this is based on what people have told me. It is not so much my theory but what others have told me about this.

Shortly after Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei (Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency) announced to the UN Security Council in March, 2003 that the documents that the State Department provided him were forgeries, I went on CNN and said that I thought the government new more about this than it was letting on.

My understanding is that shortly thereafter, a meeting was held - sometime in March of 2003 - in the offices of the Vice President at which it was decided to do a “work up” on me. A work up means to run an intel op to glean all the information you can about “me.” My understanding is that at a minimum, [Cheney's chief of staff] Scooter Libby was at this meeting.

But in retrospect looking at this, the natural group [of people] who would meet to discuss something like this would be the White House Iraq Group (WHIG).

Raw Story: Right, and the group includes Karl Rove as part of that main group of six.

Wilson: Yes, that would include Rove. I believe it is Rove, Karen Hughes, Libby, and others.

Raw Story: Also: Andrew Card, Mary Matlin and James Wilkinson as well as others who advised then-National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and her deputy Stephen Hadley.

Wilson: That would be the natural group because they were constituted to spin the war, so they would be naturally the ones to try to deflect criticism. Now, some of those people would have very high security clearances.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Inter...agent_sees_larger_Administration_ro_0713.html

He's always maintained that Scoot Libby from Cheney's office had something to do with this.

[quote name='E-Z-B']Breaking news on http://www.rawstory.com/

Husband of outed CIA agent Valerie Plame tells Raw he believes Bush Administration, senior Bush aides had larger role in leak, political attack: 1130 ET...

No link yet. I think some of these guys that run this site work in Washington, as congressional aides, I believe.[/QUOTE]
CNN's got it too

[quote name='ZarathosNY']Since Karl Rove's job is political advisor to Bush, why does he need to know who is working for the CIA?[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. You don't tell someone classified information unless the have a "Need to Know", which Rove didn't have.

Now Rove ever-shifting defense team is claiming that he learned about Plame through Novak, not the other way around. And now the smear game starts with reports that Cooper's wife was once Hillary's press secretary. They're really getting desperate. Must be a common procedure for republicans to bring up wives for partisan gain.

bread's done
Back