Who's the next EGM/1up Member to leave

[quote name='freezedried74']It's a sinking ship. Almost all of the talent has left. Who will be the next to go.[/quote]

I'm not sure that I'd classify it as a "sinking ship" just yet, but it is definitely alarming that all of the major talent is leaving.

[quote name='freezedried74']Yeah I think Jeff is an obvious choice. I almost left him out of the poll because of the GFW situation.[/quote]

I hope he doesn't, he's an incredibly talented guy. It would be another major blow to 1UP if he decides to leave.

[quote name='Short Round']I hope he doesn't, he's an incredibly talented guy. It would be another major blow to 1UP if he decides to leave.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am not a PC gamer but I listened to the GFW podcast because of Jeff and Shawn's commentary.

Wow, I've completely missed this whole "GFW closure/1UP staff resigning" thing.

I was pretty surprised to see Hsu leave (although not completely stunned given Ziff Davis' financial woes, the company's a sinking ship).

This makes me worry about the long term future of EGM (if there is much of one). I've been reading the magazine for over 10 years and can't help but feel like it's on its deathbed.

My guess is Crispin... guy's been there for-fuckin-ever, so if he moved on now, it wouldn't be particularly surprising. And what does he even do there anymore? I like the guy, just... no idea what he actually does for 1up/EGM...

[quote name='Chacrana']My guess is Crispin... guy's been there for-fuckin-ever, so if he moved on now, it wouldn't be particularly surprising. And what does he even do there anymore? I like the guy, just... no idea what he actually does for 1up/EGM...[/quote]

Crispin was always my favorite. He wrote good articles, and I usually related to his reviews.

That being said...I'm not really sure what he does these days either.

Aren't most of you guys misinformed? 1UP's been getting more and more popular and it's been repeated multiple times that the bankruptcy filing is a good thing (this info isn't just coming from the staff members but outside sources as well). A print magazine dying (did Microsoft kill this off or did Ziff Davis want to cancel it? Both?) or a single person (even if they all seem to be leaving one by one) isn't going to change the whole coverage that it does.

As to the topic at hand, I do feel Jeff Green would be closest to the door.

[quote name='freezedried74']I agree. I am not a PC gamer but I listened to the GFW podcast because of Jeff and Shawn's commentary.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I listen to the 1UpYours podcast every week. Jeff Green isn't on it very often, but whenever he is, I always find him to be the most interesting person in the room despite the fact that I'm not a PC gamer, either.

I don't know the pure 1up people much, so I voted Crispin as he seems most likely to be the next to leave since he's probably the most tenured now that Shoe is gone. Seems like the old timers are getting fed up and bolting first.

As for what he does for egm, He's the Senior Executive Editor, whatever that means. Still does some reviews to. Was on at least 1 game in the last issue. And remember it was his 4.5 review of Assassin's Creed that started that shitstorm between Shoe and Ubisoft.

I'd have to go with Shawn Elliot. Some gaming company is gonna snap up Elliot, he's just got too many good ideas for that not to happen. His way of thinking could help push games forward into an undeniable art form.

That said I don't think this is a situation where all the talent is going to just evaporate. There are other intelligent and erudite people waiting in the wings for this type of job. I mean, just look at CAG's own rocksolidaudio (Nick Suttner). He has a solid grasp of what makes a good game and it's interesting to listen or read about why he thinks a certain game falls into that category.

So yeah, it sucks when your fav. writer leaves, but the sky isn't falling.

bread's done
Back