Why are Blu-Ray and HD DVD cases smaller than regular dvd cases?

ShaneFalco

CAGiversary!
The HD and blu-ray dvds have smaller dvd cases and the dvds hold more video content

I saw the Spider-man Blu Ray DVD case and it was half the size of the standard dvd case.

do you prefer the bigger or smaller dvd cases?

Will the studios decide to make smaller cases for regular non HD DVDs?

Going with the trend of every other electronic device out there, smaller is better. Plus they needed something obviously distinguishable between regular DVD and high def, since the discs were visibly the same size, they could only change the case and the color (red for HD DVD and blue for Blu-Ray).

[quote name='guyver2077']smaller=sexier[/QUOTE]

erm...:lol:

My best guess is so that people aren't damnfool enough to buy BR/HD discs when they only own a DVD player, and throw a fit/return them if they can't play them.

[quote name='mykevermin']erm...:lol:

My best guess is so that people aren't damnfool enough to buy BR/HD discs when they only own a DVD player, and throw a fit/return them if they can't play them.[/quote]

Cmon now, no consumers are THAT stupi......nevermind, I remember being in an EB and a WalMart when some slappy brought back in an Xbox game which 'didn't work on my sons' Playstation 2'.

So yeah, they DEFINITELY need to distinguish the cases from the old style dvd formats to the new ones, due to all of the fuckin geniuses who just grab any game/movie because 'it should work on my player'.

[quote name='ShaneFalco']The HD and blu-ray dvds have smaller dvd cases and the dvds hold more video content

I saw the Spider-man Blu Ray DVD case and it was half the size of the standard dvd case.

do you prefer the bigger or smaller dvd cases?

Will the studios decide to make smaller cases for regular non HD DVDs?[/QUOTE]

As others have pointed out they are a different size because they need to be set appart from DVDs. They are smaller because this way they will fit into current storage shelves and other systems.

This compatibility was why DVD cases were close in height and width to VHS tapes.

[quote name='foltzie']As others have pointed out they are a different size because they need to be set appart from DVDs. They are smaller because this way they will fit into current storage shelves and other systems.

This compatibility was why DVD cases were close in height and width to VHS tapes.[/QUOTE]

You know your shit.

I just want to know how HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, two independently developed technologies, came to both have the same type of case for the product.

[quote name='Bune']I just want to know how HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, two independently developed technologies, came to both have the same type of case for the product.[/quote]

Im sure they collaborated. It would only hurt both of them not to match in size I would imagine...

[quote name='Puffa469']Its so dumbasses dont buy them thinking they are regular dvds.

Side benefit: They dont match anything else on your shelf![/quote]

But, is that really a benefit to those people who also ONLY buy non-GH versions of games, even when the GH versions sometimes include extra content of some sort? I can only imagine that the people who are like this were kind of fuming over the new sized dvd cases throwing off their collection shelves.

i wish folks would've left well enough alone, and just color-coded standard CD jewel cases. at least BR/HDDVD are smaller this time around.

not true, not all hd dvd are smaller.

Look at any import or japanese film.

Freedom vol 1/2
Machinist.

All of japan's hd dvd are bigger than regular dvd's..

Look at royal space force wings of hermioasfdmo or something. thats huge.

[quote name='Bune']I just want to know how HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, two independently developed technologies, came to both have the same type of case for the product.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but they werent completely developed independently. The two consortiums tried to work deals out up until the last minute before going live with their current plans. We can assume that at the very least they both agreed on case sizing if not laser wavelentghs

bread's done
Back