Why are multiplatform games getting worse reviews when on X360?

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
This is the case for most of EA's games it seems like. EGM and Gamespot have given the current gen games better scores than the X360 version. Is it the same game and they're just disappointed that the X360 doesn't blow them away or what? Or are the current gen versions actually better and have more stuff? This is kind of scaring me off when I'm thinking about getting a 360.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It's because they are taking stuff out of the 360 version to get it to stores on time.[/quote]

That, and they're sacrificing features in favor of better graphics.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It's because they are taking stuff out of the 360 version to get it to stores on time.[/quote] That's silly. I figured it was because the graphics weren't insanely good or something. Shouldn't this have only happened last fall with Madden, not this one too?

I don't want to make more threads just for these questions, so I guess I'll just ask them here.

Is it worth it to buy a 360 if you don't have an HDTV or you won't be able to use XBL? (I would just need a router, but that's more $) Are there any bugs that are still being fixed in the console? Is there any reason I should or shoudn't wait to buy one?

Do people still play Xbox games online(kinda contradictory, I know)?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I don't want to make more threads just for these questions, so I guess I'll just ask them here.

Is it worth it to buy a 360 if you don't have an HDTV or you won't be able to use XBL? (I would just need a router, but that's more $) Are there any bugs that are still being fixed in the console? Is there any reason I should or shoudn't wait to buy one?

Do people still play Xbox games online(kinda contradictory, I know)?[/QUOTE]

I would say YES on the TV part... but NO on the Live part. You really need to have internet to get the full experience of the Xbox 360--achievements, downloadables, chat, multiplayer, etc. Most all games on the 360, even the "single-player" RPGs have elements of most all of the above.

If you're asking if people still play regular Xbox games on Live (which, if you don't have a router, would be moot anyways), then yes they do--if its Halo 2. Most other games are tough to find a large number of people online. But Halo 2 is STILL the #1 game on Live, and it probably will remain that way until at the soonest, Gears of War hits. I have a feeling that game will blow up like you won't believe.

There are a TON of quality titles hitting between now and Christmas, so if you're looking to pick one up, now would be a good time. But get that router too! You won't be dissapointed.

OP, I don't understand. You can afford to buy an Xbox 360, but you can't afford $30-50 to buy a router? Are you sure you're ready for a 360?

This isn't always the case, since ES'a NHL07 got better scores on 360 than current gen consoles. But, for the most part, these 360 games are getting low scores for a couple reasons:

1. In the case of EA, they have decided to completely re-do the engines for all their sports games, like Madden, NBA Live, NCAA Football, NHL. In that case, you're having 360 games with gameplay that is still relatively new and unpolished, going against current generation versions of the same game, which have been refined over several years. Not an excuse at all, but you can see why most launch sports are pretty graphics and nothing else. As 2K goes though, they have decided to just port their current gen versions over to 360, and just improve the graphics a tad.

2. Missing features. Some people say this is going on so that publishers can get you to buy 4 years worth of a sports game, so that by Year 4, it will finally have all the features that it's current year, current generation version has right now. Perhaps. But when you're building an entirely new game from the ground up, it's probably just easier (and safer) to focus on making the core gameplay as good as possible, then use whatever extra dev time you have left to add features. It comes down to this: would you rather have a completely new, fresh playing game, that is light on the options, but looks and feels next generation, or would you rather play the same basic game you've been playing for years, with slightly improved graphics (which aren't a significant improvement if you have a SDTV), and all the features you've come to expect?

Me, I'll just stick to current gen sports games, there hasn't been anything on 360 so far that's really impressed me.

Because cross-platform games (last gen to next gen) are, for the most part, are polished terds.

Basic answer is because they're judged relatively. What looks great on regular Xbox doesn't get as high of acclaim on 360. See Lego Star Wars 2, exact same, doesn't fly on the more powerful machine. And see FIFA, they butchered the roster/stadiums.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Me, I'll just stick to current gen sports games, there hasn't been anything on 360 so far that's really impressed me.[/quote]Play NBA 2K7 on 360.

[quote name='mtxbass1']OP, I don't understand. You can afford to buy an Xbox 360, but you can't afford $30-50 to buy a router? Are you sure you're ready for a 360?[/quote] I can't afford a 360 at the moment, and I'm researching to see if it's worth saving money for. If I get the premium package with a game that's nearing $500. A router would push me over that so I was wondering if it would be any fun playing without online for a while.

If you're going to start asking questions about the 360, do it in the right thread. But back to the topic, I agree with what Brak said. When they polish these PS2 or Xbox games and bring them to the 360, they are held a higher level of games (next-gen) and don't compare, hence the worse score.

bread's done
Back