Why are you buying fewer DVDs?

aw004g

CAGiversary!
There's news out there that DVD sales are starting to slow. Why are you buying fewer DVDs?

For me it's a combo of not enough space and switching to purchasing on HD and BR.

I went with slowing economy, though it would be more accurate to say it's because I'm unemployed right now, and can't afford much at all...

Since I have 2 PS3s and one 360 w/ HD player in the house- I try not to buy the standard DVD version when it comes out, just to rebuy it later in high def. The only DVD movie I purchased this year is Pan's Labyrinth thinking it will be a while before that was going to be released in high def.....how wrong I was.

HD-DVDs and Blockbuster Online

If it's on HD-DVD and I think I'll watch it more than twice, I buy it.
If it's on DVD, well the Blockbuster Online account is good enough.

There is maybe 3 movies Ive ever watched more then once (by choice). So really no reason for me to waste $15 on a dvd that will take up shelf space.

I rent more and have less disposable income. I'll only be buying two DVD's for the rest of this year (POTC & HP) and I'm really going to be slowing down in '08. Probably won't pick anything up until the first DDD sale, and even then, it'll probably just be a couple of TV season sets.

I'm waiting to go HD until there's a clear winner in the format war.

only DVDs i buy are TV sets now. EVerything else is BR or HD. Netflix does hi-Def too, so i don't even have to buy those unless its a must have

Ever since I started NetFlix a couple of years ago, I buy more DVDs b/c I can preview stuff and see what's really worth owning.

Same thing Napster and unregulated P2P would have done for CD sales, maybe.

Anyway, I'm also really, really happy about new HD formats b/c it means that I can sometimes get four great sdDVDs for what I USED to pay for one CD back in the day.

sdDVDs are my new CDs. I rarely buy music at all now, for obvious reasons.

this new sdDVD cheapness is making me really happy. maybe it's also b/c i can remember when new release VHS stuff was 99.99. owning was impossible for me then. having the collection i have now with the TV i have is like, what i used to dream about when i was younger.

even if some would consider my set up to be 'HD lite', every time i watch a movie, i've got a damn smile on my face from ear to ear.

if i start to see some consistent lower prices on either flavor of HD players, i might consider going there in another year... maybe. and even then i'll probably mostly just rent the HD and/or BD discs, purchasing only stuff i consider to be 'must own' - which is what i do now with standard def stuff.

I'm actually surprised to see almost 55% (at the time of this writing) is buying more on BR/HD. That is true for me, but I didn't know I was in a majority for once.

Didn't see the option, but my reason is there are fewer & fewer movies I'd actually like to buy. There's a couple coming out that I'd like to rent, but only a handful that I might actually buy.

For me its a combination of online rentals, on demand, and the DVR. Being able to record stuff and having on demand shows makes me watch less DVDs.

For me its a combination of online rentals, on demand, and the DVR. Being able to record stuff and having on demand shows makes me watch less DVDs.

[quote name='dwsscs']For me its a combination of online rentals, on demand, and the DVR. Being able to record stuff and having on demand shows makes me watch less DVDs.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah... OnDemand does rule

that and XBL are the two things that take me away from TV and/or DVDs the most

Havent bought a regular dvd in nearly a year.

Now that halloween is on dvd .. and not hi def.. sigh. Ill have a friend get it .. the streak continues

buying BR and HD-DVD's....

Only true way to watch movies now...Not going to the Movie Theater much nemore either since most movies now come out 3-4 months after leaving theater.

I'm buying HD-DVDs and Blu-ray discs for films. The only DVDs I'm buying are TV series that are "shot" in SD (I think) - Simpsons (done with season 10, anyway), Family Guy, and Scrubs. Heroes will be compiled in high def, and possibly Battlestar Galactica and Lost.

I'm pleased to see that this is the popular choice for CAGs.

since all the rental places around here suck, I used to buy pretty much anything that looked remotely interesting. A year ago I started using Netflix and now I only buy the movies I really like.

Netflix. Waiting for next-gen winner. If Netflix starts putting their digital distribution on the 360, I might never buy a dvd again. I only buy TV sets and really liked movies that I watch multiple times.

I'm buying HD-DVDs/Blu-ray.

I pretty well stopped buying DVDs a couple years ago when I heard HD media would be coming soon. My DVD collection sits at about 400ish DVDs. The only DVDs I buy are basically old cartoon box sets. 80s/90s cartoons FTW!!

Everyone should note that while this consensus may be the majority for CAGs, the same cannot be said for the general public. For many of us CAGs, either our next-gen gaming or our general technological knowledge has guided us into all-round HD.

I would have voted except there was no " I ain't got no damn job and need all the money I can get for figures" category

and NETFLIX works for me, why buy when you can rent?

I doubt it is the HD format being the problem. I can't see more than 25% of the people having a player.

I would say it's Bush's fault, everything else is, and in this case it really is his. :)

Category not in poll: My collection is more or less complete.

Once you hit 300-400 movies, you have pretty much all the movies from the past you consider worth owning. Then there's only 7-12 new movies worth buying each year.

[quote name='chakan']Category not in poll: My collection is more or less complete.

Once you hit 300-400 movies, you have pretty much all the movies from the past you consider worth owning. Then there's only 7-12 new movies worth buying each year.[/quote]
Same here, although I'm still buying movies fairly regularly; TV seasons, not as much.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']
Now that halloween is on dvd .. and not hi def.. sigh. Ill have a friend get it .. the streak continues[/quote]

If you are talking about the original Halloween, it's most certainly on blu-ray...

As for this topic, I'm buying what I want now in blu-ray. I haven't bought a DVD in about a year and a half, if that.

[quote name='aw004g']There's news out there that DVD sales are starting to slow. Why are you buying fewer DVDs?

For me it's a combo of not enough space and switching to purchasing on HD and BR.[/quote]

Sir,

It seems that your initial thread post is inclined more into your buying preference than whatever news you got the story from.

Most movies I see are ones I'll watch once or twice and that's it. The ones I want to own are those I usually wait on anyway, since if I hold out another five months it will be widely available for $10 at most, maybe far less.

Also, the Red Box machine right down the block in the supermarket is amazing for my purposes. I'm usually around there once a day anyway for groceries or whatnot and for $1 a day I can grab the six new movies I wanted to see during the month and that's that. Granted, Netflix is easier, but it's on my way home and it's worth the extra 4 cents of gas.

I went with the "Collection is TOO BIG" choice, even though my movie collection would be dwarfed by a lot of CAGs. I buy a lot of TV-on-DVD, but very few movies. I do watch the shows I like and own on DVD multiple times, but with most movies I'm good after one viewing. If I can scratch together enough free time to watch a movie, I'd rather spend that time on my 360 anyway.

I've been purchasing a ton of DVD's the last couple of months because there have been so many great deals lately.

I don't have an HDTV yet, and I'm waiting on which format will be best. Honestly I cannot see that great of a difference in the hd formats on the setups they've been on. Maybe it's just the settings aren't right, but everything looks a bit too sharp, cutting out things too far.

In the past month I got a:

Samsung 56" HD-TV
Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player
Sony Playstation 3 (a.k.a. Blu-Ray player)

So, I pretty gave up on DVD and went to purchasing only HD-DVD & Blu-Ray (except for Criterion Collection releases.)

Well for one thing the prices are up. Seems most new releases ar like 19 bucks unless on sale. That said I been buying old dvds during christmas sales for great prices. Sticker prices on some were 22 bucks but got them for 5 to 7 dollars. I also been buying a crap and I mean crap load of Blu ray disc for the ps3. The b0g0 sales and 13.99 deals at frys are a better bargain than a lot of the same movies on regular dvds. Lets not forget walmart not offering great prices but instead throwing in some worthless second disc or movie so they can charge more.

I own basically every movie I want. And I realized that most of the DVDs I own I've only seen once and have no urgent interest in watching again. I occasionally want a new DVD when I see it in the Sunday ads, but by Tuesday I've forgotten about it. And my friends and I have much more fun watching old horror $1 VHS tapes from the video store than most new movies. I think the last time I bought a DVD was that big Geneon sale in the summer. Out of those 35 discs I've watched 0. Oh well; I'll get to them eventually.

I kinda got sick and tired of a new and improved edition coming out right after I bought a disc, so I just gave up and started watching the movies I want other ways, without buying them.

I went with my collection is too big, but the thing is that I have all the DVDs that I want and there's not enough new stuff coming out that says to buy it right away. I rather wait until I can find a good deal on any DVD that I want.

Hopefully when dual format players obliterate single option players, they'll stop plastering those distracting logo banners all over the disc cases and go back to displaying only the movie's artwork.

I still buy a lot of tv shows on DVD, I love owning them.

However regular movies, I see no rush to get them, they seem to drop in price very quickly now, not to mention I also wait for the ULTRA SUPER DUPER edition now and rarely double dip.

It is also true that many of the movies I own I haven't watched more than once so I see no rush to get movies now, I do think htere was a DVD fad, you just wanted more of them since it was such an improvement over VHS.

Probably the most important reason is I'd rather spend my money on something else.

I'm shocked that some are saying because they are buying Bluray or HD-DVD titles when there really not that many titles being released compared to standard dvd. It will take many years before either HD format comes remotely close to releasing what is out on dvd now. The reason is manufacturing costs especially for Bluray are very high and nit coming down anytime soon. The reason places like Amazon are selling titles as low as $10 is because there is probably a glut of those titles in their warehouses and not because they can afford to.

I put down it is because I'm renting, but realistically it is that combined with the fact that there just isn't that many intersting movies coming out that I need to own.

Because I have a severe unwatched backlog (182 titles, but some of those are "Get Smart Complete Series" type stuff), and there's not a whole lot out now that I don't have, that I want enough to buy. I am still buying some just very slowly.
Plus since I got a 360 I've been more into gaming again.
I have an HD player, and like the titles I've seen, but after paying 8-14 bucks for new SD movies, or 10-30 bucks for a season of TV, it's hard to pay 20-30 bucks for one movie, even though it's in HD. Plus a lot of the content I'm interested in, either will not be in HD, or will not be in HD for quite some time.

bread's done
Back