Why aren't new Xbox games being labeled as 360-compatible?

extremep

CAGiversary!
Upcoming Xbox games like Far Cry Instincts should be tested for 360 compatibility by the developer and labeled as such. Why isn't this happening? With the 360 three months away, and 360 game development already taking place, isn't it obvious that every new Xbox game should be made compatible with the 360?

No and no. MS wouldnt bother to make every current new release compatable with the 360. Thats an extremely expensive thing to do, especially for any title that would sell poorly.

They have their hands full enough with getting the best of the last gen up and running. They dont need to add to the burden by being sure to run every latest release on the next gen machine.

[quote name='supadupacheap']No and no. MS wouldnt bother to make every current new release compatable with the 360. Thats an extremely expensive thing to do, especially for any title that would sell poorly.

They have their hands full enough with getting the best of the last gen up and running. They dont need to add to the burden by being sure to run every latest release on the next gen machine.[/QUOTE]

Did you read my post? I'm saying the game developers should be doing this, not MS.

for one thing, the xbox emulator inside the 360 may not even be complete yet.

[quote name='extremep']Did you read my post? I'm saying the game developers should be doing this, not MS.[/QUOTE]

No. It's the 360's job to make things backwards compatible. It'd be ridiculous for developers to have to make things "forwards compatible".

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']No. It's the 360's job to make things backwards compatible. It'd be ridiculous for developers to have to make things "forwards compatible".

Dave[/QUOTE]

yup. MS actually has to emulate xbox games that they want to be backwards compatible. Certain games that MS wants to be backwards compatible at launch (like halo, halo 2, fable, etc. ) will have emulation profiles stored on the xbox 360's hard drive. More profiles can be released later for people to download.

They will probably sticker them later .
As for the emulator , it's probably a small patch that doesn't appear on your HD .
Just like the individual patches , required for different video card chipsets , back in the day .
[Which by the way , was a Wednesday].

[quote name='Richlough']They will probably sticker them later .
As for the emulator , it's probably a small patch that doesn't appear on your HD .
Just like the individual patches , required for different video card chipsets , back in the day .
[Which by the way , was a Wednesday].[/QUOTE]

:applause: :cool:

[quote name='xboxgamer']They want to make best selling xbox games backward compatible first only.[/QUOTE]

Which sucks for me because some of my favorite Xbox games include Shenmue II, Pirates: Legend of Black Cat, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, Serious Sam, and Enclave.

360 compatibility really isn't an issue for developers of new Xbox titles for this year. The 360 won't be on the market until late in the year and won't be sold in such great numbers as to have much influence on sales of a major Xbox title until well after the primary sales period (3 months at best for most titles) is passed.

It's nice if a title gets a boost from 360 but those same companies are likely far more concerned with selling a native 360 version with enhancements or a sequel native to the 360.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Which sucks for me because some of my favorite Xbox games include Shenmue II, Pirates: Legend of Black Cat, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, Serious Sam, and Enclave.[/QUOTE]

Don't be surprised if these are supported in time. The 'best selling' is more marketing rhetoric than priority. Sure, they'll start with Halo 2 but every time a game is certified as running correctly this greatly increases the chances of many other game running as the emulator becomes more complete and handles a wider range of developer's techniques for accessing the hardware. The bigger problem is the time required for the testing. A favorite but low selling game might be perfectly capable of running but isn't certified because they haven't gotten around to it yet. This leaves the question of whether consumers will be allowed to attempt running any Xbox software and report the results to Microsoft, thus speeding up the process, or if the emulator will reject anything not found on its list of certified titles.

If the former, a low selling game might get moved to the front of the testing schedule if it is widely reported to work properly.

bread's done
Back