Why Circuit City is Retarded -- Or, How I Made $34

DustBoogie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
135 (100%)
So last weekend on Sunday, Circuity City still had the advertised Black Friday deal of Guitar Hero 2 w/ Wireless Controller for PS2 for $59.99, and it was listed as available online still. I ordered it for a Christmas present. It was expected to ship on Thursday, 11/29.

Thursday morning rolls around and I've got a nice e-mail that tells me that my order has been cancelled for no reason. Confused, I head to the website and see that the game is now listed out of stock online but available for in store pickup at mny nearest store (which is an absolute mess and I usually hate trying to shop there, but my brain had started ticking at this point).

It was here where I decided to get as much money as I could from CC and still get the gift that I wanted to get.

I ordered the game for in store pickup at my local store at 9:20 AM. I went down just after 11 and after the guy frantically digged in the back room for a minute, he realized he couldn't find it and went out to the floor to get it. I was all set to ask for my $24 gift card (thanks to the 24/24 guarantee) when he grabbed a gift card off the counter and ran it through for me. Score, $24 gift card for very little effort, considering the store is about 10 minutes away and I was out running other errands. I probably would have gone there in the first place to buy it if it hadn't originally been listed as available online.

So I'm still kind of wondering why my order was cancelled on the shipment date without any notification from me. Let me copy and paste the email I wrote to customer support about this part:

[quote name='"My e-mail to customer support later that afternoon..."']
I called customer support earlier. The first representative I spoke to (female, did not get her name) quickly informed me that the item was cancelled because it was not in stock and that I had to speak to the “delivery department.” She told me it was option 3 on the main customer support menu, and transferred me to the main line again. I got to option 3 and was informed that this “delivery department” was regarding delivery of televisions and installation of Direct TV. The video game I purchased is neither a television nor a Direct TV satellite, so I decided that department would not be able to help me and chose to speak with another representative.

This gentleman was even less helpful. Rob told me that there was no information as to why my order was cancelled, and told me there was nothing he could do. After getting the same response to multiple questions, he finally told me that I could order it over the phone, but why would I want to do that? I ordered it over the internet and my order was cancelled and I was never told why.. why should I place an order by phone and wait four days for it to happen again? I asked to speak to Rob’s supervisor and he placed me on hold for a short while. When he came back he apologized but his supervisor was currently on a phone call and he had no time frame for when I would be able to speak to him/her. I was informed that I could not be contacted directly by this supervisor when he/she was available because it was against company policy. Apparently it’s against company policy to satisfy your customers. After receiving the same four or five canned responses to my many different questions, I hung up in exasperation.

I’m writing this e-mail because obviously, your phone support line is a waste of my time. I will either be lied to or have my time wasted, and I don’t want to deal with either of those. I’d just like to know if there is anything that can be done to rectify this situation. The item appears to be available in store for pickup but I don’t want to have to drive to the store and find out that it’s actually not in stock. I not should have to go this far out of my way in order to spend my money at your store.

Is there something that can be done to make up for all the time I have wasted with your store, or should I just take my money elsewhere in the future?
[/quote]

I went out of town for Friday and Saturday. When I got back last night, I had an e-mail in my mailbox from Circuity City. The e-mail basically said we're sorry but we can't fufill your order because of the overwhelming number of orders right now, so here's $10 for your trouble. That was basically what I was asking for when I wrote the original e-mail.

While I don't know if it had anything to do with the e-mail I sent them, I can't understand any other reason it would have been sent two days after the cancellation notice. If it wasn't prompted by my calls and e-mail, then the situation is even funnier, making Circuit City look even more inept because I haven't even received an automated e-mail to acknowledge the one I sent three days ago.

TLDR;
So, in the long run, I got a $24 gift card and a $10 coupon because Circuity City is inept, both online and in B&M, and I just ordered Super Mario Galaxy for $19.44.

My only regret is that the game wasn't available for in store pickup, otherwise I could have gotten another $24 gift card from my local mess of a store.

I'll give you a B+, only because you didn't buy Call of Duty 4 on sale with the giftcards. If you have it already, though, then it becomes an A.

So... they're retarded for actually following an offer they made and apologizes about canceling an order with a $10 giftcard?

That doesn't seem retarded at all.:lol:

I'll give you an A+ for not making this thread into a multi-page war drama on CC.

Good job though. I really need to start ordering from CC to see how lazy they are to pull out an item and have it ready within 24 mins.

Can we just get one giant thread about this? everyday someone posts a story.. its getting boring reading the same thing over and over again.

Maybe this one will get front page attention too..

bread's done
Back