Why do people not like GH versions of games?

eros

CAGiversary!
Why do people not like greatest hits versions of games?

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is the color of the box -- whoopie doo.

As a gamer, there really is no difference. As a game collector, the difference is huge.A non-GH game would be a first release, therfore more valuable.

personally, i dont care about it being gh or not. its not like ur gonna stare at the box all day anyway, it just sits in the pile with all the others. but if ur a collector then u'd definetly want non gh's.

Im a semi collector, I buy a decent amount of games, however there are only a few that I wanna purely collect. If I really like a game i will want a mint or sealed copy. I really don't like the GH psone versions, they look pretty cheap. I don't mine the red gh ps2 versions. And in some cases like with the VF4 GH release with extras, I would perfer that over the original.

But there is a video game collectors market out there, so first print games are usually considered more collectable.

personally, I prefer either version, but in some instances they change the actual cover not just the red band. Sly Cooper springs to mind. To just play though, who cares...

the big to do about greatest hits aside from the look, is that they're not always the original game

Everything from cheat device codes not working to entirely redesigned games with different amounts of players than the original.

Yes, that last scenario really did happen with a PS/1 game that centered around jet skis.

The original version of the game had more players available in Multiplayer, ran with choppier graphics, and had a few other minor quirks that I can't remember at the moment.

The greatest hits edition of the same game had the multiplayer component reduced by half the amount of players, cleaned up the frame rate so the game ran smoothly, and made absolutely no mention of the changes anywhere on the box or in any professional review that I know of.

Less extreme changes in other greatest hits have involved bug fixes.

Of late, some games have added extra content from ports of the game to other consoles/country's when rereleasing the game on the PS/2 as the greatest hit {to my knowledge, silent Hill 2 is the only U.S. game to do this, but this is more common in Japan where the reissues go under a different name than greatest hits}

Also,reissues have been known to be censored {most recently rockstar games vice city over the Haitian fiasco}

Actually in from a collector's standpoint, some GH marked titles are much more desireable than the original pressing counterparts. There are a handful of games, like the Sega Sports 2K2s, that had a very limited press run as a greatest hit, being exponentially more scarce than their non-GH counterpart. Case in point, try and find a striped copy of NBA 2k2, it'll be much harder to do than the original.

Aside from the case, the disc also a different color scheme as well, with a red background for PS2 titles.

bread's done
Back