WHy do people not use headsets on PSN

I was having an argument about this recently actually. I play on PSN and XBL and it's obvious that the majority of PS3 owners don't have/use mics.

I was told that I was wrong. I LOL'd. Some fanboys are in denial.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, but thankfully I have two USB headsets sitting around to use. :lol:

Well, my bluetooth had some issues with 2.4, but got worse with 2.42 (when Sony has firmware updates, they try reducing the OS size, and when they do it, some source code needed MIGHT have been cut).[/quote]

How do you use a USB head set? Can you plug it into the controller (with some sort of adapter) or does it have to go into the PS3 directly.

For me, I have two BT headsets and have tried to use them but I've found the quality pretty poor. Lots of echo, static, etc. If they worked as well and reliably as iChat and Skype I'd be all over it. Also, since few other people use it, it is kind of silly for me to just start talking.

TO be fair, the CAG games I've been in have been better. A few of the CAG GTA IV nights have been able to put together a team of players with headsets vs. the team without. I thought that was kool althought the chatter about strategy and planning to win were absent.

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']How do you use a USB head set? Can you plug it into the controller (with some sort of adapter) or does it have to go into the PS3 directly. [/QUOTE]You have to plug it into a PS3 console, kind of like a PS2 headset.

[quote name='buddah8640']The reason I rarely ever use my mic, even though I have one that works fine, is that my wife is almost always in the room while I am gaming and I don't think most people want to listen in on our conversation. It bugs the crap out of me if I am playing online and I hear a bunch of chatter in the background. People yelling, babies crying, just shut yer shit off if that is the case. Plus if I am talking to the people I am playing with online instead of the wife she gets a bit annoyed. YES, I know I am completely whipped. Just ask stranded Brit he will tell you.[/quote]

Definitely been there my brother. Thank god my headset has an easily accessible mute button. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Aleryn']The PS3 doesn't come with a headset.

A headset isn't free.

People are cheap, but I think we can all relate to one way or another ;)[/QUOTE]
On the money.

[quote name='zenprime']Exactly? What's the big deal about it? I know it's neat that it can you talk about what to do in the game or chat with friends, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal. It's a minor thing to me really. I've heard the whole "If you don't want to talk/hear talk play offline with bots" argument before, psh. I play online for the challenge, the unexpectedness of human opponents, and for the truly crazy shit that happens.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm about... the competition of something other than the computer. The truth is... some online matches (in various games) are going to be better than others. I've had matches where I've used the the mic (along with others) during matches, and sometimes I didn't. Overall, I still had a good, competitive match. That's the main reason that we play games online anyway.

I didn't use my mic for a while, because I thought I couldn't connect the BT head set from in game. But you could.. (even before the update), w/ the warhawk BT all you have to do is hold down the button and it'll connect just like a controller. Thinking about this, I feel that the 360 people use their mics more because you have the jack right there on the controller and you don't have to go to the system, or don't have to worry about trying to connect anything... its just right there for you on the controller. Having the mic jack on the controller just makes voice chatting more accessible for 360 players.

Because there are some retards out there that like to be as annoying as possible. I was playing Team Fortress 2 on XBL the other day and some kid was just constantly running his mouth. It was just the same word over and over again until something came else came into his head. I hope he's autistic because then he'd have an excuse.

Some kids just get zero attention at home so they come online to piss people off because that's the only way the get any real attention and they think that should apply to online gaming also. You can ignore and block them all you want but they just find new people to piss off and annoy.

From reading this, it seems those of us who do have headsets just don't talk all that much. Is the PSN userbase with headsets/mics just a big demographic shift from the equivalent XBL one? I must admit, I do get slightly peeved whenever Wombat brings up that CAG Warhawk night he joined us for on the CAGcast and mentions how we don't talk so much.

[quote name='zenprime']From reading this, it seems those of us who do have headsets just don't talk all that much. Is the PSN userbase with headsets/mics just a big demographic shift from the equivalent XBL one? I must admit, I do get slightly peeved whenever Wombat brings up that CAG Warhawk night he joined us for on the CAGcast and mentions how we don't talk so much.[/QUOTE]

that night people had headsets, people talked, but I don't remember Wombat saying much of anything.

[quote name='zenprime']From reading this, it seems those of us who do have headsets just don't talk all that much. Is the PSN userbase with headsets/mics just a big demographic shift from the equivalent XBL one? I must admit, I do get slightly peeved whenever Wombat brings up that CAG Warhawk night he joined us for on the CAGcast and mentions how we don't talk so much.[/quote]
I don't listen to the CAGCast often, but maybe he meant we don't talk to coordinate our actions.

I don't know when the last time he joined us for Warhawk, but the last time I saw him show up I don't remember him talking much. Pretty much he was like "Hey you guys! Intarweb celebrity in da house!";):lol:

Seriously... if we don't talk much during Friday Warhawk (or any night TMK shows up :cool:) I don't want to see what he considers talking a lot. Most of the time I can make it on Friday it's non stop chatter.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']I haven't played a game online for almost 3 months now, and that was NHL 08. I have too damn many ps3 games to devote all of my time to just one game. I'm currently at 44 games owned, since getting my ps3 in january. I just don't see the draw to playing one game over and over for months on end.[/quote]

I have THREE games(Conan, GTA IV and Godfather) for PS3 and out of those three, I've played GTA IV the MOST. I had Rainbow Six Vegas, Genji and a couple others, but after getting my PS3 online I found myself playing GTAIV constantly on there so I had no time for those others, so they got traded away pretty quick.

As for the no headset thing, I'm a cheap bastard. So unless Sony packed one in or Gamestop drops the price of the PS2 SOCOM USB headset to like $2-5, then I'm going to remain a PSN gamer without a headset. Plus, I have no real desire to hear people complaining about how I ran them down with a car in deathmatch, since that's my favorite tactic.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have THREE games(Conan, GTA IV and Godfather) for PS3 and out of those three, I've played GTA IV the MOST. I had Rainbow Six Vegas, Genji and a couple others, but after getting my PS3 online I found myself playing GTAIV constantly on there so I had no time for those others, so they got traded away pretty quick.

As for the no headset thing, I'm a cheap bastard. So unless Sony packed one in or Gamestop drops the price of the PS2 SOCOM USB headset to like $2-5, then I'm going to remain a PSN gamer without a headset. Plus, I have no real desire to hear people complaining about how I ran them down with a car in deathmatch, since that's my favorite tactic.:lol:[/quote]
You should have heard me in GTA during one of the Cops n Crooks games when you we were cops and you were the driver. I was screaming pretty loud.
"Where the fuck are you going!!??!":whistle2:#:lol::oops:;)

[quote name='mguiddy']You should have heard me in GTA during one of the Cops n Crooks games when you we were cops and you were the driver. I was screaming pretty loud.
"Where the fuck are you going!!??!":whistle2:#:lol::oops:;)[/quote]

I hate being the driver OR the boss, since I'm always thinking I'm gonna f up pretty bad and when I was the boss I KNOW I did cause I got killed QUICK each time. :whistle2:# I just wish there was some non random way to set who is the driver or boss, since unless I'm driving by myself in a game I usually get nervous and crash into MANY things. Plus, I hate having a huge target on me as the boss. :roll:

The one time I tried to use my headset on warhawk it sounded like anyone talking was yelling at me from inside a tunnel filled with dicks. The bluetooth that came with warhawk that probably most of the few that do have headsets is shitty, that probably doesn't help.

I'd rather take the kids yelling on xbl over the silence on PSN when you're trying to play a team online game.

I hate listening to 90% of the public but it changes from day to day. Some days I find a bunch of cool people and have three or four friend requests. Some days I'm assaulted by the unmitigated garbage of the youth of today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I turn mine on, but I don't speak. I'd rather listen to racist or stupid people rant. They just get more mad when you don't say anything like you're ignoring them.

[quote name='gotwood']quite true, But how are you to know what people are cool and who arnt if you are not talking to them. I typically don't talk for a couple of mins. test the waters see what types of personalities are playing. If there are some cool ones then I will talk to them. The asshats, I just simply mute.[/QUOTE]

This.

Yes, there are many trash talkers online, but that's why I use the Mute function freely (on my Xbox 360). Regardless of which system you own, there are going to be trash talkers, but there are also going to be some good people. It's worth the risk when you find a friendly person. Most of these games require team play and input so having a mic is very nice. Just mute the bad ones and keep the good ones. That's what I do!

bluetooth headsets suck, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with wireless usb headsets? you know the ones that come with a usb dongle, my brother was going to get one ( there is one on sale at staples If I remember what he said) I would much prefer an over the head headset with a boom mike.

I have both and I can easily say the wired headset is far superior. For one it's ALOT more comfortable and for another thing the sound quality is WAY better than bluetooth.

[quote name='JMEPO']I have both and I can easily say the wired headset is far superior. For one it's ALOT more comfortable and for another thing the sound quality is WAY better than bluetooth.[/QUOTE]It usually works better because bluetooth headsets can sometimes have issues after a firmware update. Wired is pretty much almost always guarantee to work, but the problem is the cable can get annoying.

I enjoy when people talk during games so long as it is to do with the game at hand. I don't really care if it is co-ordinating actions, or just a joke about the situation your or a team mate is in. I don't mind asking where people are from, in the lobby.

What I don't like is background noise, smack-talk, talk about your life, current events, politics, etc. I don't like when two friends are have their own conversation, that everyone else must listen too. At least resistance had squad chat, so they could go in their own squad and chat.

I also don't like dead silence. Telling someone to wait up so you can hitch a ride, and the pull off without you because they don't have comms. Or asking someone something, and getting no response.

If I fireup a game, and no one is talking, I usually leave the server ASAP. If I want to play against bots, I'll do it offline.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I enjoy when people talk during games so long as it is to do with the game at hand. I don't really care if it is co-ordinating actions, or just a joke about the situation your or a team mate is in. I don't mind asking where people are from, in the lobby.

What I don't like is background noise, smack-talk, talk about your life, current events, politics, etc. I don't like when two friends are have their own conversation, that everyone else must listen too. At least resistance had squad chat, so they could go in their own squad and chat.

I also don't like dead silence. Telling someone to wait up so you can hitch a ride, and the pull off without you because they don't have comms. Or asking someone something, and getting no response.

If I fireup a game, and no one is talking, I usually leave the server ASAP. If I want to play against bots, I'll do it offline.

~S[/quote]

Usually I just honk the horn on the car in GTA IV when I want a teammate to join me as we go chasing the other teams/people in Deathmatch or whatever. However, I do like how you can press L1 to make your model 'talk', even if that talk happens to be some very ummm colorful smack talk that's been pre-programmed into the game.

I can't even count how many times during DM, Free Mode and other games last night when my character told my teammate to go get 'f'd in the ass by a machete' or some other really graphic stuff. :roll:

I was laughing though, since I was wishing R* would've put in a way to let you select what your character could say, but it didn't even phase me(all of the smack talk).

Hmm. I like it when people talk. I've had TFC games where my team won despite being outnumbered 3:1 because we communicated well (also, the other guys might have sucked). Anyone I've ever played Starcraft, teammate or opponent, with will confirm that I am a "chatty bitch". Might be the fact that the only games I ever play online are PC games, where it's... I dunno, just more of an expected thing. And less dickish than your average game of Halo.[quote name='jer7583']The one time I tried to use my headset on warhawk it sounded like anyone talking was yelling at me from inside a tunnel filled with dicks.[/quote]Your subconscious would like to have a word with you, young man.

[quote name='JMEPO']I have both and I can easily say the wired headset is far superior. For one it's ALOT more comfortable and for another thing the sound quality is WAY better than bluetooth.[/QUOTE]
my problem with a wired headset is that I play in my theater room and the PS3 is in the rack located behind a curtain about 10' from my theater seats. ( the seats are commercial movie theater rockers bolted to the floor).

I'll use my headset when I'm playing with friends or am in a really competitive mood, which is not usually. BUT, while playing I'd rather hear nothing than little annoying kids that just discovered the N word is funny when it's accompanied with the F word.

[quote name='realmadpuppy']my problem with a wired headset is that I play in my theater room and the PS3 is in the rack located behind a curtain about 10' from my theater seats. ( the seats are commercial movie theater rockers bolted to the floor).[/quote]

Mel Gibson, is that you? :lol: Seriously though, I thought only rock and movie stars had actual 'theater rooms'. You definitely take your video and gaming way more serious than I do, since I sit on my bed while playing my PS3 which is sitting about 2 feet away from me on an old wooden table I got from the Salvation Army and playing it on my 20" sdtv.:whistle2:#

But hey, if you can afford to do it, go for it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mel Gibson, is that you? :lol: Seriously though, I thought only rock and movie stars had actual 'theater rooms'. You definitely take your video and gaming way more serious than I do, since I sit on my bed while playing my PS3 which is sitting about 2 feet away from me on an old wooden table I got from the Salvation Army and playing it on my 20" sdtv.:whistle2:#

But hey, if you can afford to do it, go for it.[/quote]

My wife's best friend bought a house and turned a room into a theatre. He owns a barber shop and she's a paralegal so it's not like they're ballin. Their debt is monstrous but it doesn't stop me from going over to throw down on some Virtua Fighter 5 on the projection screen.

He's another guy that doesn't use a headset because it didn't come packaged with one. I think alot of people would if the had even a cheap one that came bundled with the PS3. Then again, Sony couldn't be bothered to put Hi-def cables in there either.

I don't get the consensus behind bluetooth headsets sucking. I love mine (220 Plantronics I got for about $25 @ Wally World a year ago). The only negative thing I could say about it is that turning it on/off/muting isn't as fast as on my wireless 360 headset; considering it was a random bt purchase, a better headset may eliminate this problem.

So are people using sucky bluetooths, or am I missing something?

[quote name='Methadon']I don't get the consensus behind bluetooth headsets sucking. I love mine (220 Plantronics I got for about $25 @ Wally World a year ago). The only negative thing I could say about it is that turning it on/off/muting isn't as fast as on my wireless 360 headset; considering it was a random bt purchase, a better headset may eliminate this problem.

So are people using sucky bluetooths, or am I missing something?[/quote]
I'm using a sucky headset (the Warhawk bundle) and it sounds just as good as the 360 pack in headset.

I was on Madden last night. A buddy who is new to PS3 and I were playing against each other for the first time. Neither one of us could get our headsets to work. Even though mine had worked in the past. Even my PS Eye mic wasn't transmitting.

My point is I shouldn't have to fiddle so much to make it work. It should work as well as picking up the phone. Make it too complicated or unreliable and people will think it isn't worth it. I'm hoping the new PS headset will make it reliable, but at $50 how many outside of the SOCOMers will pick it up.

I'd love it if it would just work.

There are too many games on the PS3 where the bluetooth mics simply do not work well. I think people are getting frustrated (bluetooth mics can be expensive). SOCOM has many problems, but the mics do work really well - all of them. Cheap, expensive, the Warhawk one, ... etc. I think there would be more buy in if the mics worked well in all games, without doing any fiddling - turn off before end of round, turn back on 5 seconds after the next round starts, scratch your head, rub your tummy. What a pain!

For a long time I didn't have a BT headset and didn't really care. Then I finally found one cheap and still don't find myself using it much. I tend to agree with the people who say they use it more when they are playing with friends, only most of my friends dont have a ps3. To compound that, I live in a very very small apartment with my girlfriend and I have no mute button on my headset, which sucks for games that don't have a "push to talk" button. And most of the time I have to do my gaming after she's asleep so I can't get all loud anyway.

I think it also depends on the type of game I am playing. For instance I am playing a lot of online madden right now and I really have no need for the people who are going to just talk ridiculous junk in my ear, nor do I want them to have to bear the infinite string of profanities uttered from my end during the blowout. I would definitely start using it more with people who I play more regularly who also have a headset.

I am looking forward to the socom set though, since it is pretty nice and it has a mute button. The deal that comes with the game is pretty good and will break me in nicely with the game that got most of my friends using the old usb sets back in the day.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']get a usb mic, it'd probably get rid of that problem, though i wouldn't know for sure as i don't use a mic.[/quote]

The headset(USB one) I had temporarily only had a mute button and volume control and after 3 or so rounds in GTA IV online, it'd go MIA. So then I'd have had to exit the game, then come back in to get it to work again. It was too much of a pain in the ass in my opinion to even bother keeping it.

If they ever fix the problem, I might buy another USB headset, but I'm definitely still leaning towards the 'I don't need one to enjoy the game' camp.

My problem recently has been when I try to set up a mic (USB or BT) it seems to work finne in the Accessories setting. The mic is picking up my voice and I can hear it though the sepakers or headset. However, once I enter a game (most recently with Jeopardy or Madden) it doesn't work. I've had success with both games in the past but no longer for some reason.

Makes me not want to try it at all. This needs to be toaster easy.

bread's done
Back