Why do people on eBay suck so much? My eBay rant.

noone13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
657 (100%)
So I've been selling lots of stuff on eBay lately and I am getting so tired of all the morons I have to deal with. Two days ago some dude won an auction then told me he already had the movie so to cancel his bid. Before that I sold some moron a Dark Knight Rises ticket code. Well I mis-typed the code in the message I sent to him. So instead of messaging me back he just leaves negative feedback. Then the best is I sold someone a basically sealed blu-ray, I cut off a little bit of the front wrapper to take off the movie cash. Well apparently it was a fake disc and I printed off the cover. Then I guess I wrapped it back up myself? Not to mention how they waited over two weeks to tell me about it. By tell me about it I mean they just left negative feedback then demanded a refund. Seems like a lot of work for a $6 movie. That doesn't even count the three times now I've sold something and then got a message from PayPal stating that the charge was not authorized. I am guessing that means the jackass stole someones PayPal account to pay me. This is a huge eBay rant but my god I am tired of dealing with stupid ass people. Are people really so bad they need to steal a $6 blu-ray? Or even a $40 game? It pisses me off but there really isn't anywhere else to sell shit. Then eBay is retarded and I can't even leave the jerks negative feedback, I basically have to eat it. If they say they got a fake disc then that is what eBay and PayPal will believe. Does everyone else have this bad of luck or is it just me? Anyways thanks for reading my rant

This really isn't limited to eBay so I don't think it's fair to call them out specifically. They have the largest number of users so obviously, you'll see a higher number of idiots there but percentage-wise, I'd be willing to bet that it's the same on other sites.

I sell quite a lot on eBay but I also buy there as well and as a buyer I am surprised at how many unprofessional sellers there are.

Take some pride in what you do... I can't tell you the number of items that have been shipped to me just using shopping bags or paper bags. To make it worse I clearly write a message to the seller on the invoice describing how I need the item ("Must be factory sealed, U.S. Retail Version") only to get PAL or other region PS3 games. Or games that aren't sealed but the seller swears are "new".

Look OP; I understand your frustration but try selling fixed price Buy It Now (BIN) listings with Immediate Payment Required (IPR). That will solve nearly all problems related to buyers backing out or now paying.

The only time I would ever suggest using auction format is if you have an item that is very rare or in very high demand as you could possibly sell yourself short in a fixed listings format.

Also be extremely clear in what your listing. If the case is dente---say so. If you are removing part of the shrink wrap---say so.

If you make a mistake sending a code apologize profusely, send the correct code, apologize again and send a feedback revision request.

I don't sell on eBay for a living but I do know what I'm doing and it frustrates me seeing other sellers on there that don't describe items correctly, list items they don't have (like crossing their fingers that their last minute preorder of a rare game from a less then reputable retailer will get fullfilled) and then bitch and moan when the buyer leaves negative feedback because the seller cancelled the listing (what do you think would happen?) copy other peoples listings, etc.

this is depressing for me to read...I plan to start selling on Ebay in a few weeks xD
Is it always that bad?
I hope things turn out better for you!

Hm that looks like some shitty luck. As a seller I do feel at the mercy of the buyer sometimes but I try to be super nice to people so if they were to try and rip me off they would at least feel bad about it. I have sold over 100 video game related things in the past couple years and have only been conned 2 or 3 times. One person claimed my new/sealed COD game was used and scratched and sent me back their scratched up game, and another claimed they never got the game I sent but Paypal had my back since the tracking said it was delivered. One time a buyer got mad cuz there was a hair on the package but hey I don't blame them.

I guess just have good faith. There are more good buyers than bad out there. Just know that good communication and customer service goes a long way. Going a little above and beyond has saved my ass a few times. Anyways, good luck!

[quote name='Vinny']This really isn't limited to eBay so I don't think it's fair to call them out specifically. They have the largest number of users so obviously, you'll see a higher number of idiots there but percentage-wise, I'd be willing to bet that it's the same on other sites.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree with this. I have done close to 300 deals on here and only ever had 2 problems. On eBay I have done close to 200 in the last three months and had 6 problems. On the Blu Ray Forums I have done 50 or so deals and had zero problems. Amazon I have done close to 100 and had one problem. I think eBay is the most easily accessed and by far the easiest site to use to rip people off. You guys can have a higher opinion of eBay and I understand that. However the jackass who said I sent them a fake blu ray planned on ripping me off no matter how the auction was run. In that situation there is nothing I can do about it either, that negative feedback is now mine for the rest of the time I use eBay. As for that matter all negative is unless the person who sent it changes their mind. Which in most cases they know they are going to rip you off as soon as they bid so they aren't going to change it. Anytime anyone anywhere leaves a negative feedback without seeking a solution first is a just looking to be a jerk. Don't get me wrong I have had plenty of great transactions and the only difference between those and the bad ones was the buyer. My auctions all use the same format, wordings, etc. so nothing changes but the buyers. There are plenty of bad sellers as well but when the majority of my transactions go perfectly I would think it is obvious I am not one of them. EBay just needs to crack down on the all the bad people, sellers and buyers, because it has gotten far too easy to rip people off. I could go on eBay right now and rip all kinds of people off, I couldn't do that on here right now. Anyway I just wanted to vent my frustrations with eBay in general after getting the latest negative feedback. I guess though I am a master counterfeiter so I should take pride in that :roll:.

i hate ebay. i sell there, but i hate them. it is complete BS that they side with the buyer NO MATTER WHAT. I sold an item and said no returns. (It was a BRAND NEW Android Lapdock). It was clear what phones it worked for. This guy buys it, and then says it doesn't work for his model phone. So he wants to return it. I said i don't take returns, AND the item was brand new and now it isn't, so it has lost some value. He filed a claim ebay sided with him which then forced me to do a return/refund. anyway...............

Reason why I like CL most people don't but I've been screwed over more by Ebay and Amazon while CL has a perfect record no fees cash and most of all once a transaction is complete IT'S OVER!!!

I did about 11 transactions last week. The one purchase was for a "like new" 3ds game that came cart only in an envelop.

Then I sold 10 items, 4 went unpaid for 3 and half days until I sent a message requesting payment and 2 were paid for fairly shortly. So on 4th day I file unpaid claims for the other 2 and I get the payment for one and a sarcastic message saying "Thanks for not considering I had a busy weekend, blah blah blah." It's like people don't give a fuck fees are charged to my account and even with immediate payment, paypal fucks around with your money for 3-4 business days before processing it to your bank. Just closed the case on the last unpaid item.

Generally it's been ok, maybe some mild annoyances like now I have to keep track of this tiny 3DS cart without a case but I haven't had any deal breakers yet.

[quote name='Rockinjs']Reason why I like CL most people don't but I've been screwed over more by Ebay and Amazon while CL has a perfect record no fees cash and most of all once a transaction is complete IT'S OVER!!![/QUOTE]

I have dealt with more idiots on CL the 4 times I have sold stuff that way than I have ever dealt with selling for 8 years on Amazon and eBay combined.

One problem with eBay is the buyers know that eBay will side with them no matter what. If you cut part of the front wrapper off a blu ray and sell it as new without saying you cut part of it off you are asking for trouble. Always disclose EVERY little problem with what you are selling. It will limit the amount of problems you have later on.

Another problem is if you have negative feedback already for sending a code that doesnt work (you are not supposed to sell digital codes on eBay in the first place) when someone has the smallest issue they will go read your bad feedback and assume the worse. When buying on eBay I will look at the feedback first and certain things will cause me to not bother with the seller, but most people dont look at that stuff until AFTER they buy.

I would just try to be a more careful seller. Disclose everything in your ad. Show pictures. Make sure the person knows exactly what they are getting. Dont try to trick someone into buying something that isnt what it should be. New means it is just as if you bought it at the store. Also if you sell codes online do not email the code to the buyer, send them through the post. I advise against selling digital codes though because the buyer can ALWAYS just claim the code was used or did not work and you lose automatically.

[quote name='musha666']I have dealt with more idiots on CL the 4 times I have sold stuff that way than I have ever dealt with selling for 8 years on Amazon and eBay combined.

One problem with eBay is the buyers know that eBay will side with them no matter what. If you cut part of the front wrapper off a blu ray and sell it as new without saying you cut part of it off you are asking for trouble. Always disclose EVERY little problem with what you are selling. It will limit the amount of problems you have later on.

Another problem is if you have negative feedback already for sending a code that doesnt work (you are not supposed to sell digital codes on eBay in the first place) when someone has the smallest issue they will go read your bad feedback and assume the worse. When buying on eBay I will look at the feedback first and certain things will cause me to not bother with the seller, but most people dont look at that stuff until AFTER they buy.

I would just try to be a more careful seller. Disclose everything in your ad. Show pictures. Make sure the person knows exactly what they are getting. Dont try to trick someone into buying something that isnt what it should be. New means it is just as if you bought it at the store. Also if you sell codes online do not email the code to the buyer, send them through the post. I advise against selling digital codes though because the buyer can ALWAYS just claim the code was used or did not work and you lose automatically.[/QUOTE]

I didn't sell the movie as new, I sold it as like new and described the missing part of the wrapper. Did you even read my post? Regardless the person said I sent them fake disc so I am going to guess what condition I listed it in wouldn't have mattered one bit. The other person left my first bad feedback for a code, which if he has asked me I would have fixed instantly. I have sold tons of codes on eBay and had exactly 2 problems. The other was for a Fandango code that I specifically said to make sure you had a theater that would accept it before bidding. Clearly the guy didn't and then said he couldn't use the code. I know selling digital codes on eBay is a risk but the biggest problem is selling anything on eBay anymore is a risk. I always make sure to make a very descriptive listing, I will list if it is sealed or not, or has a slipcover, or if the digital copy has been used to make sure I don't have to deal with those problems later on. However someone claiming I sent them a fake disc is something I can't really protect myself against. Once they file a claim with eBay I will be out the money and the movie without any chance to do much of anything about it.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I have a problem with international bidders winning my auctions when I don't ship internationally. It's a huge waste of time.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there is an option in your selling preferences to automatically block bidders from different countries.

I've sold over 70 things this summer. The only problem was when a guy tried to claim that 3D glasses were cracked, even though they came in a brand new, sealed, hard plastic box. After making him realize he had no case, and showing that the pictures clearly proved no cracks were present, he backed down.

Sometimes you just gotta go the extra mile and make sure your auction has no way of being corrupted.

[quote name='leecy']I'm pretty sure there is an option in your selling preferences to automatically block bidders from different countries.[/QUOTE]

They'll put their shipping address as a US address but then once they win change it to the actual country they'relocated at.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']They'll put their shipping address as a US address but then once they win change it to the actual country they'relocated at.[/QUOTE]

uh.... there's an option to block payment from countries outside the U.S.; so unless they have a U.S. bank there is no way around it.

Ebay has become a shitstain. I think the US consumer has been spoiled rotten. They have become so entitled. You could blame this on all the cheap chinese shit they've been getting for the last 30 yrs. The business model of customer is always right will have to change. With the downturn in the economy people will just abuse it more and more. Amazon is seeing lower profit margins , what's keeping them alive is all those non existent ebooks they sell. Wait till they start getting taxed in all 50 states.

Funny how ebay makes a fraudulent buyer just disappear. Someone made a new account and bid on one of games. I checked out their buyer history and saw they were going on a bonanza. 1 wek later I get an email from ebay saying account was fraud yada yada and made that buyer disappear you could no longer find the name nothing, it didn't even show up as unregistered. Dude must of stole from 30-40 sellers before he was caught, all in one weeks time. I blocked and removed his bids once I saw his history.

It's just part of doing business. Whether it's eBay, Amazon, or if you were to open a physical store you still have to accept that many consumers are some combination of stupid, greedy, and corrupt. You have to be able to deal with those people effectively and just minimize losses as best you can. With that being said, eBay is a cesspool of the highest order.

I sell on Amazon and I have issues occasionally but I think Amazon's clear and strict rules for buyers and sellers at least makes the nature of doing business there transparent. I feel like those rules combined with their payment processing that ensures you don't ship an item until payment is verified scares off a lot of would be scam artists - I mean, they're practically guaranteed success on eBay, why run the risk on Amazon?

I encountered more idiots with the ONE craigslist sale that I did, I had to call about 10 people before I finally found a buyer for my item even though my item had a ton of interest, then I had people scheduled to show up who did not show. This went on for a couple days till I finally found a reliable buyer for my item. Moreover it wasted a couple days of my time, but I did eventually get the item sold.

This one sale wasted more of my time than my 12+years of selling on ebay.

I have a very long and strict selling policy and I don't take returns, not that it would help, since ebay always sides with the buyer but I describe every dent and every mark on an item. You can post multiple pictures of an item now for free which helps a lot. But at least I think it wards the scammers off these days since 99% of the listings I see these days are for a like new game with absolutely no description. The scammers have plenty of listings to pick on other than mine.

I haven't sold much but now that I'm selling a game 1st guy buys it (0 feedback on 1 week old account) never pays or messages me back so just relist it now some guy with 12 feedback bought it and says that for some reason he can't send the payment because it gives him an error message that reads "We were not able to process your PayPal payment." not sure if true or BS

You are pretty much forced to use buy it now and instant payment. If I don't then probably half of my things never get paid for. It also seems the pricier the item, the less likely I get paid. I do only buy it now, because I do not want to be chasing people for weeks at a time.

Yeah, I just sold something myself and it still hasn't been paid for. Hopefully it's just because it's the weekend.

I don't know what is with people winning something then not paying for it for the better part of a week. When I win something I generally pay for it fast, because I want it now! That is the biggest problem I have had, is people not wanting to pay for a couple weeks. I don't like to turn them in as a NPB, because I can understand it can take a couple days if they are busy or something, but not 8-10 days.

I am usually cool with sellers taking a couple days to send as well, but I get agitated when it is sent a week later. I'm not asking for it to be mailed immediately, but within a few days of the auction ending. Usually it's not a big deal.

Most people I find are pretty cool and do things the same way I do. I enjoy eBay, buying and selling.

I won an item about a week ago and paid for it about a day after the auction. I noticed the seller still hasn't marked it as shipped so I asked him a couple of days ago if he shipped it. Seller still hasn't responded. :S

It's not just ebay. One of the most /facepalm buying experiences I had was buying a NEW book off Amazon Marketplace from a sizable bookstore in TX. What I was shipped was not only an obviously used book (original printing run, 30 years ago, wear from use) but it had the stamp of NRL's (Naval Research Lab) library inside the front cover (and no "Discard" stamp). I called the library to see if they had it listed as missing; they didn't.

[quote name='burritoman']I don't know what is with people winning something then not paying for it for the better part of a week. When I win something I generally pay for it fast, because I want it now! That is the biggest problem I have had, is people not wanting to pay for a couple weeks. I don't like to turn them in as a NPB, because I can understand it can take a couple days if they are busy or something, but not 8-10 days.

I am usually cool with sellers taking a couple days to send as well, but I get agitated when it is sent a week later. I'm not asking for it to be mailed immediately, but within a few days of the auction ending. Usually it's not a big deal.

Most people I find are pretty cool and do things the same way I do. I enjoy eBay, buying and selling.[/QUOTE]
I usually pay as soon as the auction is over if not I'll pay the next day when i get home from work for sure..
people love me :bouncy:

I tend to get paid quickly because the products I sell go for the people who want to relax. And without a remote control, you lose your ability to relax.

[quote name='sawyerbrwnfan']Seems like you have to wait a week after the auction ends to submit a Non paying bidder. Once I do that then they pay.[/QUOTE]

4 days from sale actually.

[quote name='Barney']I usually pay as soon as the auction is over if not I'll pay the next day when i get home from work for sure..
people love me :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
That's how us cool folk roll.

bread's done
Back