Why do so many people think "definitely" has an "a" in it?

The one that bothers me the most is "rediculous". A forum search comes back with 431 posts (432 now, no doubt).

Edit: Punq, wasn't it "libary"?

I really hate when people say "dose." As-in, "What dose it look like?" Sure, sometimes it might be just a typo, but I've seen people do it repeatedly and its really annoying.

[quote name='guessed']The one that bothers me the most is "rediculous". A forum search comes back with 431 posts (432 now, no doubt).

Edit: Punq, wasn't it "libary"?[/QUOTE]
"definately" comes up with 500+, it looks like.

As resident Grammar Nazi, I feel I should contribute something to this thread, but since I'm highly medicated I shall decline.

If we're slightly on the subject of grammar, I am infinitely annoyed for some reason when someone says good instead of well. When someone says, "I did good today," I want to sock them in the face, and I correct pretty much everyone I talk to when they mess it up. Of course, this just annoys everyone else, and the cycle goes on.

I guess it's just how it sounds.

A spelling pet peeve for me is how judgement can be spelled "judgment"... it looks so improper.

i know how to spell incredibly well....i had special spelling tests starting in 2nd grade....out here, spelling courses stopped in 8th grade and I was in 8th grade spelling in 4th grade....that said, maybe i'm saying them wrong...but maybe people spell it wrong because of how it sounds....say "separately"....that last part, "ately", a lot of people (myself included) pronouce it as "itly"....if that's correct, i don't know....i dont do pronunciations (dr evil voice)....but with "definitely", the last part of the word, "itely" is pronounced "itly"

point? the ending of those two words are pronounced the same by a lot of people and one word has an "a" in it and the other one doesn't

maybe that's why?
or maybe i'm retarded?

EDIT: or maybe you were looking for a simple answer....and that is that people don't care, just as long as you know what they are trying to say...

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']i know how to spell incredibly well....i had special spelling tests starting in 2nd grade....out here, spelling courses stopped in 8th grade and I was in 8th grade spelling in 4th grade....that said, maybe i'm saying them wrong...but maybe people spell it wrong because of how it sounds....say "separately"....that last part, "ately", a lot of people (myself included) pronouce it as "itly"....if that's correct, i don't know....i dont do pronunciations (dr evil voice)....but with "definitely", the last part of the word, "itely" is pronounced "itly"

point? the ending of those two words are pronounced the same by a lot of people and one word has an "a" in it and the other one doesn't

maybe that's why?
or maybe i'm retarded?[/QUOTE]

Actually, you do bring up a valid point. In terms of phonetics, the English language is extremely messed up. This is why when I was on the elementary education path, I was opposed to teaching reading through phonetics. Our language simply does not rely on standard phonetic spellings all the time. This is one reason it is so difficult for people to learn English as a second language. You think you know what the letter "a" is supposed to sound like, but depending on the word, it could have several different sounds.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Actually, you do bring up a valid point. In terms of phonetics, the English language is extremely messed up. This is why when I was on the elementary education path, I was opposed to teaching reading through phonetics. Our language simply does not rely on standard phonetic spellings all the time. This is one reason it is so difficult for people to learn English as a second language. You think you know what the letter "a" is supposed to sound like, but depending on the word, it could have several different sounds.[/QUOTE]

and this is where someone posts that little poem/riddle/thing about how this is that, but this is this...even though they're spelled differently, they're pronounced the same....or whatever...it always interests me whenever i see it....but from my horrible description, i doubt anyone will know what i'm talking about....but i do :cry:

-extremely tired....don't mind me

[quote name='2poor']look at all this beautiful foilage.[/QUOTE]
it dosent take a neucuelar scientist to pronounce foilage.

People can't spell for two reasons. One is spellcheckers and the other is auto correct in computer programs.

These tools fix many typing errors and make it so you don't have to spell. To many people today proof read their papers by looking for red and green lines in their documents.

FYI, I made about 10 spelling errors in this short reply, since I can't spell without a checker anymore either.

TBW

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']People can't spell for two reasons. One is spellcheckers and the other is auto correct in computer programs.

These tools fix many typing errors and make it so you don't have to spell. To many people today proof read their papers by looking for red and green lines in their documents.

FYI, I made about 10 spelling errors in this short reply, since I can't spell without a checker anymore either.

TBW[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was more of a grammatical issue :)

People can't spell for two reasons: One is spellcheckers, and the other is the auto correct in computer programs.

These tools fix many typing errors and make it so that you don't have to spell. Too many people today proofread their papers by looking for red and green lines in their documents.

FYI, I made about 10 spelling errors in this short reply since I can't spell without a checker anymore either.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Actually, it was more of a grammatical issue :)

People can't spell for two reasons: One is spellcheckers, and the other is the auto correct in computer programs.

These tools fix many typing errors and make it so that you don't have to spell. Too many people today proofread their papers by looking for red and green lines in their documents.

FYI, I made about 10 spelling errors in this short reply since I can't spell without a checker anymore either.[/QUOTE]

BOOOOOO! Or should I say...

Boo!

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Don't make me hit you with my copy of Strunk & White![/QUOTE]

You're lucky I'm not smart enough to get that joke! ;)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Actually, you do bring up a valid point. In terms of phonetics, the English language is extremely messed up. This is why when I was on the elementary education path, I was opposed to teaching reading through phonetics. Our language simply does not rely on standard phonetic spellings all the time. This is one reason it is so difficult for people to learn English as a second language. You think you know what the letter "a" is supposed to sound like, but depending on the word, it could have several different sounds.[/QUOTE]

Man you think English is hard to learn as a second language try Chinese, or worse yet-Sanscrit... YIKES!

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Man you think English is hard to learn as a second language try Chinese, or worse yet-Sanscrit... YIKES![/QUOTE]

Chinese I've seen done. Sanskrit, on the other hand, I can't even imagine.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Don't make me hit you with my copy of Strunk & White![/QUOTE]

Ah, The Elements of Style.

The one mistake that annoys me more than others is the use of "loose" instead of "lose," as in, "Did you loose your keys?"

I think I'm the only one on this site that correctly uses the terms "your" and "you're." For God's sake people, it's not "Your so cool!!!!"

[quote name='Chuck Stank']I think I'm the only one on this site that correctly uses the terms "your" and "you're." For God's sake people, it's not "Your so cool!!!!"[/QUOTE]

your knot da ownly won

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']your knot da ownly won[/QUOTE]

Dude... change your sig... its making me really horny! xD

bread's done
Back