Why does anyone support Gamestop these days?

Hardware

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I find it absolutely ridiculous that they sell you a used game at full price. Is that even legal? And on top of it a used game that has been released recently is $5 less than a new title costs. Do you people realize how much money they are making on those used games? That's all their profit right there. Highway Robbery! I seriously don't understand why people even support this store. Personally if you do an you are happy that's great. I'm not upset with them by any means. I buy my games from stores that treat me right. I'm simply posting this cause I'd love to hear some answers on why people even shop there? They should be out of business these days. Is it just me or does anyone realize how terrible this store is?

Because unless you're lucky enough to have a good mom and pop store near you (which I do not) your choice is basically to either support Gamestop, or support some other evil, bloated conglomerate (Best Buy, Wal Mart, etc)

With coupons you can get some great deals on used games or trade-ins. Not to mention it can be difficult to find people online that want to buy your stuff. IMO eBay is worse than Gamestop anyway, which is why I don't sell there anymore, making my selling options limited.

[quote name='Hardware']I find it absolutely ridiculous that they sell you a used game at full price. Is that even legal? And on top of it a used game that has been released recently is $5 less than a new title costs. Do you people realize how much money they are making on those used games? That's all their profit right there. Highway Robbery! I seriously don't understand why people even support this store. Personally if you do an you are happy that's great. I'm not upset with them by any means. I buy my games from stores that treat me right. I'm simply posting this cause I'd love to hear some answers on why people even shop there? They should be out of business these days. Is it just me or does anyone realize how terrible this store is?[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm sorry someone at your Gamestop pissed in your cornflakes. Gamestop's business model is apparently a sound one as they continue to show record profits. I take it you don't have a clue about profit and loss, do you? Gamestop's appearance of a wide profit margin would seem like highway robbery if they picked and chose what games they took, but they don't. How would you feel if you walked in Gamestop and they only took your best games and left out the awful ones because no one would buy them? Guess what? They don't. They buy every piece of crap game that you could possibly come up with, knowing that most of them will never sell.

So you're sad that your shiny new copy of Madden 10 trades in for $25 and they sell it for $54.99? Well how about all those copies of Dark Sector that they paid $15 for a year ago and are now selling for $8.99 used. They're probably losing money on over half of the used games in their store because they never say "no".

Before you go spouting off about Gamestop being the anti-christ maybe you should get a grasp on how their business model works. I don't trade games in there often because to me their trade prices are too low most of the time, but at least I understand what they are doing.

If you really wait and look you can really get some great deals. They do hurt the devs by selling like they do so heres what the industry needs to come up with.

A Contract between companies and store. Kind of like what they do with DVD's and redbox and blockbuster. Come up with a plan and say when new games are released there is a window to where they cant be traded in or sold used. like 2-3 months time. After so it is free from this and then they can be traded. This way the first wave is over and the devs can make the most off launch.

I can tell you I dont buy a new game or used at launch. I very rarely do. I wish I could but I cant spend that kind of cash. Like I said in another post I will wait until it drops below $30 to make a game purchase. So I like used games. I just dont like the model they have in place right now that hurts the people making the games.

You're mad that you can get a brand new game for $5 the day after it comes out with a "return it within 7 days for a full refund no questions asked" warranty?

[quote name='Anthem85']A Contract between companies and store. Kind of like what they do with DVD's and redbox and blockbuster. Come up with a plan and say when new games are released there is a window to where they cant be traded in or sold used. like 2-3 months time. After so it is free from this and then they can be traded. This way the first wave is over and the devs can make the most off launch.[/QUOTE]

Link to this info about redbox/blockbuster please..i think you are making shit up....as for having a window of not being able to trade new games - people will just get rid of them in other ways..plus good luck trying to tell people who they can/cant trade/sell their games too.

[quote name='itachiitachi']basically people are either ignorant that they are being ripped off or too lazy to care[/QUOTE]

Indeed!

real people (cags too) would wait for good coupons, never pay for a newsed game, and only use the trade ins on power trades, or desparation.

I've never bought a new game besides ones that drop in price because of a sale, I always abuse their coupons.

frankly the OP should be yelling at the people in the post that I quoted... they are the ones making Gamestop survivable.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I like to hit up GameStop during the buy 2 get 1 free deals and pick up some older, cheaper, titles. It's a pretty good deal.[/QUOTE]

Oh man I love those deals

[quote name='Malik112099']Link to this info about redbox/blockbuster please..i think you are making shit up....as for having a window of not being able to trade new games - people will just get rid of them in other ways..plus good luck trying to tell people who they can/cant trade/sell their games too.[/QUOTE]

This is a link stating the deal between Redbox and sony and lionsgate.

Also noone is saying who you can trade and sell to. Just a window with a retail store. If the option isnt there then you wouldnt have anything to complain about. You would wait your 1 or 2 months and say meh ok ill now go trade it in. Of course there would have to be other changes in the operation to make this work but its a small thought without trying to work out everything in a small post. It would take many hours to work out numbers and plans and policies.

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/pr.../features/e3if5c6c7ae5292695ff3e3e92e13c84229

"In exchange for its product agreements with Lionsgate and Sony, Redbox agreed not to resell old DVDs on the used-disc market -- a practice that has riled studio execs even more than the company’s ultra-low rental price. Studio home entertainment execs complain that dollar rentals are starting to reduce consumers’ enthusiasm for purchasing DVDs."

"Sony stands to collect approximately $460 million over the term of the five-year agreement, which extends through September 2014, according to regulatory filings. The deal is the first publicly disclosed arrangement with a major studio, underscoring how valuable the movie-rental vending machines have become."

Gamestop is NO different than every store in the world EVER. They have good deals, and bad deals - and in no way am I going to "support" somebody just because I like or dislike their business model. I'm going for the best deals - I'm only out to support myself. The store could be called "WE POOP IN YOUR MOM'S BREAKFAST", and if they have a good deal on a game then I"m buying from them.

I never understood brand loyalty, especially with game stores.

This is cheapassgamer, shop where the stuff has the best deals. Shopping based off of principles is a bad idea IMO.

if you have a problem with gs complain and they will sort it out. ive never bought a new game there that wasnt sealed whether its in store or online and when it comes to used games if they dont work send it back and you will get a working copy. whether some of the stuff they do is intentional or not many stores dont expect consumers to complain and many wont because they are uncomfratable doing so or they just figures its too much of a hassle or a waste of time. the minute stores doe something you dont like complain and in the end you will get the result you desire as long as your complaint is valid.

Gamestop has deals if your a savy consumer. Which you should be if your on this site. As others have said there are B2G1 sales and Edge and coupons, etc.

I'f your speakling in purely ethical terms, I'd rather buy games from Gamestop than Walmart for example. Gamestop screws gamers, Walmart screws everybody.

Gamestop's 'crimes' are well known and documented by the core gaming community. Most people who don't know by now probably don't care.

[quote name='Anthem85']Oh man I love those deals

This is a link stating the deal between Redbox and sony and lionsgate.

Also noone is saying who you can trade and sell to. Just a window with a retail store. If the option isnt there then you wouldnt have anything to complain about. You would wait your 1 or 2 months and say meh ok ill now go trade it in. Of course there would have to be other changes in the operation to make this work but its a small thought without trying to work out everything in a small post. It would take many hours to work out numbers and plans and policies.

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/pr.../features/e3if5c6c7ae5292695ff3e3e92e13c84229

"In exchange for its product agreements with Lionsgate and Sony, Redbox agreed not to resell old DVDs on the used-disc market -- a practice that has riled studio execs even more than the company’s ultra-low rental price. Studio home entertainment execs complain that dollar rentals are starting to reduce consumers’ enthusiasm for purchasing DVDs."

"Sony stands to collect approximately $460 million over the term of the five-year agreement, which extends through September 2014, according to regulatory filings. The deal is the first publicly disclosed arrangement with a major studio, underscoring how valuable the movie-rental vending machines have become."[/QUOTE]

That deal says that Redbox will now receive dvds directly from Lionsgate and Sony instead of going through their wholesalers which are the same wholesalers that Redbox sells the useds dvds back to (which they wont do anymore). Fox ordered its wholesalers to stop giving redbox dvds within 30 days of release and redbox is now suing.

Your example of what should be done with gamestop is a clouded up clusterfuck.

Also, trade in value for a game 2 days after release can be MUCH different than 30 days after. People will go elsewhere and Gamestop will suffer.

My only real problem with Gamestop is them selling "new" games that have been gutted. I rarely buy games from GS but it seems like everytime I do I end up getting a gutted title.

But then again, having their employees pester me with a slew of questions the second I enter the door and then again as I'm trying to make a purchase is pretty annoying.
"Would like to pre-order....insert list of upcoming games....today?"
"Would like to sign up for Edge or a magazine subscription?"
"Do you have any games to trade in today?"
"Would you like to buy an extended warranty on your game? No? How about buying a gamedoctor?"

Haven't set foot in any game store in over 5 years. Just not worth it.

-Prices suck
-Sell gutted games as new
-Hocking pre-orders and magazine
-Employees suck
-Clientele sucks (nerds and kids)
-etc.

I felt like I lost IQ points everytime I step in the places, so I quit. Since then games have been ordered online or bought at Target or Best Buy for the most part. Up until joining Goozex last year anyway, now I just get most of my games off there.

I occasionally go to browse but if/when I find something i want take it to the counter. If they try and push something else down my throat 3 times I say fuck it and leave the item I WAS gonna purchase on the counter and walk out. I dont play that shit. lol

[quote name='dmaul1114']Haven't set foot in any game store in over 5 years. Just not worth it.

-Prices suck
-Sell gutted games as new
-Hocking pre-orders and magazine
-Employees suck
-Clientele sucks (nerds and kids)
-etc.

I felt like I lost IQ points everytime I step in the places, so I quit. Since then games have been ordered online or bought at Target or Best Buy for the most part. Up until joining Goozex last year anyway, now I just get most of my games off there.[/QUOTE]

-thier used game prices are comparable to any used gameing store, plus you can return them within 7 days if you dont like it, no questions asked.
-i dont buy new games often from them, but when i did, they took a new shrink wrapped game fron behind the counter.
-be a man and dont get intimidated by thier sales pitches, just say no thanks...and its over
-the employees are no worse if not better than best buy or any other big chain store where they dont even pretend to know about the product. (that being said, i have seen some shitty GS employees, but mostly they were civil if i was)
-thats a ridiculous reason for not shopping there. where is the adult/non-nerd game store?
-you got me on the etc...

i cant walk into best buy or target and get Tomb Raider Anniversery, but accross the street Gs has it for 12.99, no shipping added (since im there) and i can return it for no reason in 7 days. damn them.

GS has its problems, but they have a backlog of used games which in mu opinion makes it worth it to shop there. dont take them personal, just get your product and leave. and try not to let the kids and nerds intimidate you.

[quote name='Hardware']Do you people realize how much money they are making on those used games? That's all their profit right there. Highway Robbery![/QUOTE]No, that's a completely legitimate business model. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Me? I'm okay with it, because it means I get a product that I want for a cheaper price (especially after Edge card and whatever sale they're usually running) plus the guarantee that if I don't like it, I can return it within 7 days for a full refund. That's not evil, that's a better deal for the consumer.

Besides, if you think that any other company is any more benevolent than GameStop, you're horribly mistaken. They all want one thing first and foremost: your money. It's called capitalism and it drives our economy. Get used to it.

I dont give gamestop my business anymore. Last time I shopped there, the clerks were condescending assholes and questioned my purchase. I was like im spending money in your fucking store, how dare you criticize my purchase. Never again.

Only time GS pissed me off is when I visited the store like every 3/4 days to see if they had a pre-order gift for a game I wanted, but when the game finally arrived they said they sold out/didn't get them(can't remember). I said "Well, then I'll cancel my order". BS they didn't get them. The only reason I buy from them/trade with them is.

B2G1
Trade in for 40%+
GS Exclusive Pre-order gifts. (Hard to get later on, IMO)
I want the game NOW. (Only about 2 or 3 series apply to this, and only like 1 of them has a release soon)(Beatles rock band)

I really dont know why anyone starts threads like this. Not because I love GS or anything, but talking about how "evil" and "poor" their business is, is like when people say they love their small local stores but shop at walmart cause its cheaper. The fact of the matter is they are a business and every business has their strengths and weaknesses and you just have to use that to your advantage. I mean I hate thier new "gutted" copies of games, but that just means that if im going to buy it new, and thats all they have I just say "sorry Ill get it somewhere else", its not like they are forcing you to buy it. And everyone complaining about used games, if you dont like it then dont buy it, and if everyone hates it that much then they would lose business which obviously isnt happening. I hate people that complain about companies when they arent helping the situation by being stupid consumers.

And really? People complaining about their clientele? Are you that one rare person that actually talks to every person in every store you shop in? If they clientele sucks then dont talk to them.

GS only sucks if you suck at shopping there. You hold the power as the consumer. I buy new releases that just got traded in all the time. It comes to $38 after coupon or $33 after B2G1 free sale. Thats almost half off, usually for games that are less than a month or two old, and half the time you can trade them in for almost as much or more if you use their trade in promotions correctly. Most people are just too lazy to bother doing these things.

Exactly like they said - abuse the coupons. I always print 2 or 3 and visit all my local stores, so even if the price is only a couple dollars less, it's much better for me to knock 35% off their profits. I collect games and sometimes they're the only ones with the uncommon stuff. Plus with the amount of games I haven't played yet I set a limit to not spend more than $35 on any one game unless it's a REAL must have. So if stores don't drop the price on new games fast enough, then GS gets a little of my money thanks to their coupons. I don't go there for anything else.

[quote name='Anthem85']If you really wait and look you can really get some great deals. They do hurt the devs by selling like they do so heres what the industry needs to come up with.

A Contract between companies and store. Kind of like what they do with DVD's and redbox and blockbuster. Come up with a plan and say when new games are released there is a window to where they cant be traded in or sold used. like 2-3 months time. After so it is free from this and then they can be traded. This way the first wave is over and the devs can make the most off launch.

I can tell you I dont buy a new game or used at launch. I very rarely do. I wish I could but I cant spend that kind of cash. Like I said in another post I will wait until it drops below $30 to make a game purchase. So I like used games. I just dont like the model they have in place right now that hurts the people making the games.[/QUOTE]
Capitalism is a bitch, isn't it?:roll:

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']I dont give gamestop my business anymore. Last time I shopped there, the clerks were condescending assholes and questioned my purchase. I was like im spending money in your fucking store, how dare you criticize my purchase. Never again.[/QUOTE]

You sure they weren't all like 'OMG Is that Tiger Woods!? I think he's DRUNK!' ;)

[quote name='BillyBob29']My only real problem with Gamestop is them selling "new" games that have been gutted. I rarely buy games from GS but it seems like everytime I do I end up getting a gutted title.

But then again, having their employees pester me with a slew of questions the second I enter the door and then again as I'm trying to make a purchase is pretty annoying.
"Would like to pre-order....insert list of upcoming games....today?"
"Would like to sign up for Edge or a magazine subscription?"
"Do you have any games to trade in today?"
"Would you like to buy an extended warranty on your game? No? How about buying a gamedoctor?"[/QUOTE]

yeah the pestering is the thing that is always annoying as if you dont know anything about games or gaming its kind of insulting and i dont know why they think that kiind of stuff helps anyone.

[quote name='davkeats']-thier used game prices are comparable to any used gameing store, plus you can return them within 7 days if you dont like it, no questions asked.
[/quote]

Goozex and other trading sites make all used game stores obsolete for those of us who don't care about waiting to play things a few months. I don't care about the return policy. I know what I like and only play a handful of AAA games a year.

-i dont buy new games often from them, but when i did, they took a new shrink wrapped game fron behind the counter.

Some times all they have are copies they opened to put the case on display (and let employees borrow the game) and those get sold as new.

-be a man and dont get intimidated by thier sales pitches, just say no thanks...and its over

I don't get intimidated. I just choose not to shop at places where you have to spend more time at the checkout repeatedly saying no to multiple offers.

-the employees are no worse if not better than best buy or any other big chain store where they dont even pretend to know about the product. (that being said, i have seen some shitty GS employees, but mostly they were civil if i was)

Some are fine, some are worse. Too many uber-nerds spouting off fanboy non-sense which as a VERY casual gamer these days I have no interest in listening to. Not to mention the sometimes condescending comments you'll get about buying some mainstream game over whatever nerdy Japanese game the zit faced clerk loves etc. But to be fair it varied a lot from store to store and a lot of clerks just shut the fuck up and take your money--which is what a cashier should be doing when I'm ready to check out.

-thats a ridiculous reason for not shopping there. where is the adult/non-nerd game store?

I get most every game on Goozex, if not I'll grab it at Target while buying other stuff I need or at Best Buy when I go to pick up a movie or CD. No need to put up with the crowd of people I don't like being around in gaming stores.

i cant walk into best buy or target and get Tomb Raider Anniversery, but accross the street Gs has it for 12.99, no shipping added (since im there) and i can return it for no reason in 7 days. damn them.

I can get most anything on Goozex, and I have very mainstream interests. I only pick up a handful of games a year and it's always just major AAA stuff like Fallout, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Rock Band etc. as I only game maybe 5 hours a month these days so I choose to only spend my limited gaming time on the cream of the crop in genre's I still enjoy.

And again, I don't care about return policy. If I happen to not like something, I flip back on Goozex (which I'd do after beating it anyway).

GS has its problems, but they have a backlog of used games which in mu opinion makes it worth it to shop there. dont take them personal, just get your product and leave. and try not to let the kids and nerds intimidate you.

That's all fine and dandy. Goozex just works better for me being a very casual/mainstream gamer, with Amazon.com and Target getting my 1 or 2 new game purchases a year.

But for the most part, food/toiletries aside I try to do the majority of my shopping online. Just hassle free. Don't have to deal with dumbass employees, asshole customers, or finding time to get to the store on my busy schedule.

[quote name='Badgun']Dude, I'm sorry someone at your Gamestop pissed in your cornflakes. Gamestop's business model is apparently a sound one as they continue to show record profits. I take it you don't have a clue about profit and loss, do you? Gamestop's appearance of a wide profit margin would seem like highway robbery if they picked and chose what games they took, but they don't. How would you feel if you walked in Gamestop and they only took your best games and left out the awful ones because no one would buy them? Guess what? They don't. They buy every piece of crap game that you could possibly come up with, knowing that most of them will never sell.

So you're sad that your shiny new copy of Madden 10 trades in for $25 and they sell it for $54.99? Well how about all those copies of Dark Sector that they paid $15 for a year ago and are now selling for $8.99 used. They're probably losing money on over half of the used games in their store because they never say "no".

Before you go spouting off about Gamestop being the anti-christ maybe you should get a grasp on how their business model works. I don't trade games in there often because to me their trade prices are too low most of the time, but at least I understand what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

Very well said sir.

Support? What?

I don't know what you mean by that. I don't think there is like, The Gamestop Advocates of America Association or anything. Buying something from a store is not really what I would call "support."

I mean, I buy gas every week, but I don't exactly "support" fucking Exxon Mobil.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Support? What?

I don't know what you mean by that. I don't think there is like, The Gamestop Advocates of America Association or anything. Buying something from a store is not really what I would call "support."

I mean, I buy gas every week, but I don't exactly "support" fucking Exxon Mobil.[/QUOTE]

Well, by giving a business your patronage, you are supporting them in a sense as they are dependent on patronage to stay in business.

Nothing wrong with being an informed consumer and doing your best to not shop at stores you get poor service, or at business who's business practices you disagree with etc. etc.

For instance, I've long avoided exxon mobile since the Exxon Valdez disaster and some other crap I read years ago that put me off of them--not that the others are any better.

Gamestop I don't like the practice of selling gutted games as new, forcing employees to hock all the pre-orders, magazines, warranties etc. (on top of just generally being annoyed by the employees and clientele in there) so I stopped shopping there and supporting them with my patronage.

Normally I hate buying things from GS inless its a good deal. I will sometimes buy full priced games when they first come out because there is a gamestop less then 2 mins from my house and gamecrazy is like 20 mins away.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't support any of the big retailers I buy games at. fuck Best Buy, fuck Amazon, fuck Target. fuck every store.[/QUOTE]

You can play the semantics game if you like, but you are supporting them by giving them your money and thus helping them stay in business.

Personally, I try to only shop at stores (both the whole chain and the individual franchise) that I want to see stay in business. Stores I can't stand like Gamestop and Wal-mart don't get my business. I'll shop elsewhere even if it means spending more money. That's what not supporting a store means.

Where are all these Gamestop employees from Hell? There was one store where a guy was pushing me to buy a game that didn't have a cover or instructions, but everywhere else I've been to I've always encountered nice and accommodating employees at Gamestop. I can see where it could be annoying to hear them ask if you wanted to reserve a game, but not enough to hate them.

As far as the store goes, I don't like the cheap trade-in credit they offer (recently I started gathering games and other goodies to trade with fellow CAGers). I also wish they wouldn't sell games that are in generic cases with no art on it. The stickers can be annoying to peel off as well. And seeing as how they sell used products, I always buy new consoles at a department store. As a matter of fact, I plan to purchase a PS3 at Target this November.

The specials they have on used games, however, are great. That B2G1 offer gave me the chance to catch up on the PS2 library and it saved me lots of money from retail. They offer a subscription to Game Informer (which has become my favorite gaming magazine since OPM left) and that Edge card for less than if you bought the subscription on its own. Not only do they carry games that are hard to find, but you can try them for 7 days and return it with a refund if you don't like it. Try doing that with a new game at Best Buy or Target.

I heard a lot of negative things about Gamestop.com and it's probably true that they're worse. I bought a used SNES from them years ago and the system usually takes 4 tries before it reads the game correctly. Having no way of knowing if the used game you're getting has directions or cover art is terrible.

Holy Shaq, this is the longest post I've made at CAG so to summarize:

Game selection: Good
Trade-in credit: Awful
Special discounts: Good
Gamestop.com: Probably bad.

[quote name='dmaul1114']You can play the semantics game if you like, but you are supporting them by giving them your money and thus helping them stay in business.[/quote]
If you want to play the semantics game, then the word your looking for is "patronize." I buy a game wherever I can find the best deal. Talking about "support" implies some sort of loyalty, if you ask me.

Personally, I try to only shop at stores (both the whole chain and the individual franchise) that I want to see stay in business. Stores I can't stand like Gamestop and Wal-mart don't get my business. I'll shop elsewhere even if it means spending more money. That's what not supporting a store means.
Every store sucks and has shitty things about them. Who cares?

Some stores/companies suck more than others and I choose not to support (or patronize if you prefer) as there are plenty of other stores out there willing to take my money. And for some stores I'll bypass deals and pay more elsewhere to avoid them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Some stores/companies suck more than others and I choose not to support (or patronize if you prefer) as there are plenty of other stores out there willing to take my money. And for some stores I'll bypass deals and pay more elsewhere to avoid them.[/QUOTE]
That makes you an idiot not some kind of noble champion dude.

[quote name='blissskr']That makes you an idiot not some kind of noble champion dude.[/QUOTE]

LOL.

That's my thing. People who think this makes them, as you put it, some sort of noble champion are silly.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't support any of the big retailers I buy games at. fuck Best Buy, fuck Amazon, fuck Target. fuck every store.[/QUOTE]

You're a moron.

Those companies don't care if you personally like them. As long as you're buying things from them, you're supporting them in the only way they care about.

Also, why is everyone so upset about the clerks trying to sell you warranties and shit? Just say no, it's not that difficult.

Anyways, I don't buy anything from Gamestop because I don't buy used games and I want my new games to be new.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're a moron.[/quote]
No, you are.

Those companies don't care if you personally like them. As long as you're buying things from them, you're supporting them in the only way they care about.
O rly?!?!?

As long as they're selling me stuff that I'm satisfied with, they're serving me in the only way I care about.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No, you are.

O rly?!?!?

As long as they're selling me stuff that I'm satisfied with, they're serving me in the only way I care about.[/QUOTE]

No one's arguing that, dumbass. To say that you don't support these companies, yet you buy products from them is ridiculous.

it doesn't matter that gamestop sells games that are $5 less then the cost of the new game. the reason why is because gamestop takes a risk by buying back a game from a consumer that no longer wants it. the risk is that people may not buy the game so they have to sell it at that price point.

bread's done
Back