Why does everyone want Valkyrie Profile so bad?

Rabid Mammal Wax

CAGiversary!
It's not even considered that great a game compared to games like Xenogears, any of the FF's, or Chrono Cross.

Yet everyone here jumps at a chance to buy it...hell, on half.com, the game's going for upwards of $200. Nobody would sell for such an insane price unless people were actually willing to pay...same goes for Intelligent Qube. There's another example of a relatively mediocre game selling for tons.

What's...uh...the deal?

Low print run. People pay idiotic prices for it because things make them happy. It's like someone who spends an assload of money on a car regardless of its quality. Look at all the people buying rhapsody at insane prices. That game SUCKS. At least VP is actually a good game, which is more than I can say about Chrono Cross. A great deal more.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Supply and Demand...And the fact that it has the Square logo on the box.[/QUOTE]

VP was before the Square Enix era.. it's Enix only.

The reason why this game is wanted is because of its rarity more than anything. First, you have a fairly large demand (because the game is really good) and small supply. People who don't get it right away think they can pick it up later. But if the company stops producing copies of the game, then there is the small group willing to pay more than the norm for a copy.

Thus, a fire starts and spreads as people see the possibilities of the game's value. Kinda like the stock market...

Reality's Fringe]Low print run. People pay idiotic prices for it because things make them happy. It's like someone who spends an assload of money on a car regardless of its quality. Look at all the people buying rhapsody at insane prices. That game SUCKS. At least VP is actually a good game said:
I have never played Valkyrie Profile.
BUT Chrono Cross was a really good game.

Reality's Fringe]Low print run. People pay idiotic prices for it because things make them happy. It's like someone who spends an assload of money on a car regardless of its quality. Look at all the people buying rhapsody at insane prices. That game SUCKS. At least VP is actually a good game said:
Chrono Cross, and the other games I mentioned, owned VP on GameRankings.com

And is it just me or do the majority of Enix games suck the balls?
I mean, I liked Robot Alchemic Drive but only for the novelty, it wasn't very polished or extremely well done. And I can't think of one game that SquareEnix made that I can even consider to be decent--in fact, I haven't bought a Square game since that travesty they called FFX crapped all over my PS2.

I got VP for christmas when I was in 9th grade or something. Most dissapointing play ever.

So yeah - I got 30 minutes into it and stopped and then sold it a year and a half ago for about 90.

[quote name='Vinny']VP was before the Square Enix era.. it's Enix only.

The reason why this game is wanted is because of its rarity more than anything. First, you have a fairly large demand (because the game is really good) and small supply. People who don't get it right away think they can pick it up later. But if the company stops producing copies of the game, then there is the small group willing to pay more than the norm for a copy.

Thus, a fire starts and spreads as people see the possibilities of the game's value. Kinda like the stock market...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remembered that the second after I posted.

As far as the game goes though it's not rare by any stretch of the imagination...The game received a healthy printing. What drives the price is the fact that everyone who owns the game, keeps the game.

^^Amen to that, the official sales of this game are about 66,000, meaning it's anything but rare, moreso uncommon.

What drives people to buy this game is the same thing that drives people to buy Rhapsody, which is no more rare than this game -- nerds love to own any RPG's just because they suck at all other genres.

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax']It's not even considered that great a game compared to games like Xenogears, any of the FF's, or Chrono Cross.
[/quote]
When you compare it to these games, it's sort of not saying much....be that as it may, I love the game....why? Either it's because of the visuals or the gameplay, or both. :) ;)

Yet everyone here jumps at a chance to buy it...hell, on half.com, the game's going for upwards of $200. Nobody would sell for such an insane price unless people were actually willing to pay...same goes for Intelligent Qube. There's another example of a relatively mediocre game selling for tons.

What's...uh...the deal?

Hearing it going for $200 makes me glad I jumped on it at Wal Mart for $20....then seeing Gamestop raise the price from $45 to $55 shortly after was so wrong. Didn't even think it was a rare title, but as someone said before, it seems like most who bought it kept it (either for collector's purposes or some other reason).

RPGs don't really require skill, they require patience. A lot of friends hate RPGs "because of all the reading it requires". 9_9

Valkyrie Profile is probably the biggest gap in my PSX RPG Collection, but I don't really miss it. My Suikoden 2 has tied me over, plus, I really had no interest in Valkyrie Profile whatsoever.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']nerds love to own any RPG's just because they suck at all other genres.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself, ahaha. I enjoy a few RPGs, rarely, but some people think all of them are good. Same goes for anime. Every anime is not good.

I own Valkyrie Profile, bought it when it first came out. It is a fun game, but yeah it is by no means a classic. From what I recall I played through it twice in only a few days but really enjoyed doing it. Have never gone back though since there wasn't all that much replay value to me.

All of you guys need to STFU. Valkyrie Profile is an excellent game. It has some of the best 2D graphics on the PS1, a killer soundtrack, a very unique and interested battle system, and it's based on Norse Mythology. I can't think of a similar game in any way. It's better than all of the racing and sports game whores who own every year of Madden, and every shit racing game out there.

I don't know of a single person who thinks all RPGs are good. Where do you ppl come up with this crap? I've personally decided to try to collect all the PSOne RPGs, but I by no means think they are all good.

Rhapsody is a excellent game. It's not a serious RPG, it's more an RPG-lite, but the atmosphere and style in that game are like nothing else. Maybe not for everyone, but far from crap.

And to whoever said RPGs take no skill - play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

[quote name='KingofGames']It's better than all of the racing and sports game whores who own every year of Madden, and every shit racing game out there.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there are very few CAGs who do that. ;)

I love football but I didn't buy a current generation title until NFL2k5 hit the shelves at $20.

I love racing and I've only bought Burnout 3 and Forza this generation. All quality titles.

Well, that's an exception. ;) Normally RPGs can be beaten easily with a little bit of overleveling.

Nocturne is a bitch, I agree.

To the guy who mentioned that all nerds are obsessed with anime, I have to agree with you. Every hardcore nerd loves anime, even though any sensible person would tell you that anime sucks the ****. The only anime that I ever enjoyed was Dragonball Z, the rest are senseless pieces of animated trash with a plot that makes little sense and horrible animation. JAPAN IS NOT A GOD.

[quote name='KingofGames']All of you guys need to STFU. Valkyrie Profile is an excellent game. It has some of the best 2D graphics on the PS1, a killer soundtrack, a very unique and interested battle system, and it's based on Norse Mythology. I can't think of a similar game in any way. It's better than all of the racing and sports game whores who own every year of Madden, and every shit racing game out there.[/QUOTE]

I friggin agree with you KingofGames. It has great.......everything! The battles were fast paced as well as awesome, the music, voice work, and graphics were excellent too.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']To the guy who mentioned that all nerds are obsessed with anime, I have to agree with you. Every hardcore nerd loves anime, even though any sensible person would tell you that anime sucks the ****. The only anime that I ever enjoyed was Dragonball Z, the rest are senseless pieces of animated trash with a plot that makes little sense and horrible animation. JAPAN IS NOT A GOD.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: "plot that makes little sense and horrible animation" in Dragon Ball Z? nah......

If my memory serves me correct, wasn't S-E planning to re-release Valkyrie Profile in Japan?

I wonder if they'd ever do the same here. Doubtful.

[quote name='argyle']I don't know of a single person who thinks all RPGs are good. Where do you ppl come up with this crap?[/QUOTE]

I do. Where do you come up with this crap?

Different places, different experiences.

Try being a programming major and see how many RPG/anime nerds you come across in your classes. ;)

So you're telling me you've met people - as in more than one, even - that think there's no such thing as a bad RPG? Sure. I believe you. No, really. ;)

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']To the guy who mentioned that all nerds are obsessed with anime, I have to agree with you. Every hardcore nerd loves anime, even though any sensible person would tell you that anime sucks the ****. The only anime that I ever enjoyed was Dragonball Z, the rest are senseless pieces of animated trash with a plot that makes little sense and horrible animation. JAPAN IS NOT A GOD.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Ball Z was a crappy anime.
If you think Dragon Ball Z was remotely good, you're haven't watch that many anime at all.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']^^Amen to that, the official sales of this game are about 66,000, meaning it's anything but rare, moreso uncommon.

What drives people to buy this game is the same thing that drives people to buy Rhapsody, which is no more rare than this game -- nerds love to own any RPG's just because they suck at all other genres.[/QUOTE]

I would say rhapsody is rare. I found two once at an eb for 35 bucks (one for myself, went back to get the other for a friend the next day, but it was gone) , but this was before disgaea was released and the price shot up, it was only worth 60 then. Then a small, out of the way game store had to sealed copies, was gonna give it to a friend but I noticed I could get 130 a piece for them on ebay, so that was the end of that. Since then I've found multiple VP's, suikoden 2's, intelligent qube etc. at gamestops (I always check their online website for store stocks, probably a list of 40 stores within 50 miles), but I've never seen another rhapsody. The only other game I've run into less often is ddr disney dance mix, which I've only seen once, when a few months ago I found a sealed one at a toys r us outside toronto.

[quote name='argyle']So you're telling me you've met people - as in more than one, even - that think there's no such thing as a bad RPG? Sure. I believe you. No, really. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's not like I've gone down a checklist or anything. Poor guy, don't be so literal.

Valkyrie Profile is an excellent game! The only reason some other RPG's scored higher is because VP was something new and different in the genre. I didn't do things like almost every other game in the genre. It had a creative new battle system (which by the way required a lot more skill than simply leveling up when played at higher difficulty settings), wonderfully stylized graphics, and superb sound all around (from voices to the soundtrack). In my opinion it is among the top 5 RPG's released on the PS1 and should easily be among the top 10 of some of the more skeptical RPG fans. And it is a rare title as there is severely limited availability of it. Like someone else said, almost all the people who bought it have kept it because it is a truly kick @$$ game!

As to someone's comments about all anime sucking........ If DBZ is your only point of reference then I can understand why you might think that. While it can be mildly enjoyable if you have absolutely nothing else to watch and you are strapped to your chair and not allowed to look away from the tv, it truly is a horrible anime! I mean, where else can what the characters claim is a 10 minute fight last for two and a half hours executing the same four or five moves over and over and over and over again and again and again and again?! If you think the plots of all other anime are so complicated and hard to understand, perhaps you should try something a little simpler. Maybe the Care Bears would be right up your alley. I'm sure you should be able to follow the plot in it!

It's a side scrolling Action RPG. They're rare. And dammit, any RPG that has an fast, action loaded battle system is worth looking into... what with all the half baked Final Fantasy style battle systems in JRPGs.

That's why I want a copy, any way.

[quote name='argyle']I don't know of a single person who thinks all RPGs are good. Where do you ppl come up with this crap? I've personally decided to try to collect all the PSOne RPGs, but I by no means think they are all good.

Rhapsody is a excellent game. It's not a serious RPG, it's more an RPG-lite, but the atmosphere and style in that game are like nothing else. Maybe not for everyone, but far from crap.

And to whoever said RPGs take no skill - play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.[/QUOTE]

Shin megami didn't really take skill. If you had the levels and skills attributed to the right monster...hooray you win. Although - i'll admit boss battles were challenging, but primarily because of some stupid quirk they had going for them.

And I just beat Shadow Hearts today. I have no idea why people like this game. It was incredibly mediocre and made me want to rip my tongue out.

Is it me or did someone stick a Suikoden 2 disc in a toilet for that SIg neoness ? I think one of the main draws for VP is the fact that its one of the very few Action Rpg's of it's era, I never got more than 30 min in but its as Morgan Webb would say "pretty" , I keep it mostly for collector's purposes

[quote name='Aleryn']That's why I want a copy, any way.[/QUOTE]

Wanting a copy is cool, but would you actually pay the asking price for one? That's the only thing I find ridiculous, really. I mean, how many non-RPG titles go for as much?

I like a few RPGs, and I like some anime, but some people just take it too far. I don't see why that's so hard for most of you to admit.

You know your opinion on anime means absolutely nothing when the only one you ever enjoyed was Dragonball Z.

and people wonder why I hate people :roll:....(waits for someone to take that seriously) this thread has been FAQS'D. but i'll attempt to use reason anyway.

It's not even considered that great a game compared to games like Xenogears, any of the FF's, or Chrono Cross.

What's...uh...the deal?

the....uh.......deal is that some people are collectors.....and some people want to play a game that other RPG fans usually rave about. I personally like it a lot better than most RPGs, including some of the ones you mentioned, since it's different in every way. I get sick to death of boring turn based battles(do you know what those are?), so RPGs that try something different are cool to me.

and I.Q. is a kick ass puzzle game(have you played any puzzle games before?) ....no you can't dual wield, do fatalities, or have sex with hookers... but don't worry, us puzzler fans manage to squeeze a little fun out of it ;-)

btw, I paid $65 and $40 for VP and IQ, respectively, on Ebay.

You sound really really intelligent...Can I sign up for your newsletter?

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax']It's not even considered that great a game compared to games like Xenogears, any of the FF's, or Chrono Cross.

What's...uh...the deal?[/QUOTE]

Chrono Cross SUCKS HARD compared to almost any game, including Valkyrie Profile. VP is one of the best RPGs ever made. Whoever the hell said "it's not even considered that great of a game" should be shot because s/he is a liar. Now Rhapsody is a subpar game for the rate it's going at, and I could understand the same comment you made about VP being using for Rhapsody. But making such an asinine claim about VP without obviously even PLAYING it is retarded.

[quote name='Apossum']and people wonder why I hate people :roll:....(waits for someone to take that seriously) this thread has been FAQS'D. but i'll attempt to use reason anyway.

uh.......the deal is that some people are collectors.....and some people want to play a game that other RPG fans usually rave about. I personally like it a lot better than most RPGs, including some of the ones you mentioned, since it's different in every way.

wow, a different opinion, fancy that. :roll:

You sound really really intelligent...Can I sign up for your newsletter?[/QUOTE]

Dragon Ball Z is the worst too...talk about shitty animation and a non-existant story.

[quote name='KingofGames']So why make the statement in the first place? If you're not being literal, don't say such stupid things.[/QUOTE]

Heh, the reason I pushed him on the point was because he only said it to bash RPG fans. He said something ridiculous to prove his non-existent point, and to help him knock something he doesn't like and doesn't understand.

There are genres I don't like, but you don't seem me ridiculing the people who do like them. But hey, I suppose if it makes someone feel bigger to do that, go for it, right?

And SMT:Nocturne most definitely took skill. If that game didn't take skill, no game does. Remember, there are more skills than just twitch reflexes.

Just went to my local Gamestop to pick up Still Life and found a copy of Valkyrie Profile for $14.99. Only bad thing was that it was disc only. Doesnt matter to me, I just want to play the game.

disc only still goes for 50+ on Ebay, great find Rock88, I snagged my copy for 25 used but flawless about 2 yrs ago at my local Korean VG store, gotta love NY, now hurry up and buy, lol

[quote name='TheRock88']One question, is the game 1 cd or 2 cds? Because I only got 1 cd from it.[/QUOTE]

It's 2 discs, you got served. And like half the game is on disc 2, it's not like FF7's disc 3 or FF8's disc 4, so you basically got fucked even if it was for $15.

I know it's 2 discs for a fact because I just replayed this game a few days ago. So no one even try arguing otherwise.

lol look at all the anger in this topic. Stop trying to force your opinions upon one another. Some people will love the game, some people will hate it.

What's...uh...the deal?[/QUOTE]
Well I for one just wish people would give Valkyrie Profile a chance. People should play games to ENJOY them. Yes, it doesn't have a disgustingly convoluted plot like Chrono Cross, which is apparently what people like nowadays, but... get this.... IT'S AN RPG THAT'S ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY.

VP is one of my top 10 favorite RPGs of all time.

And for the record, it kicks the shit out of at least half of the Final Fantasies... I mean seriously, it's like you forgot that there were any before 6!

Anyway... I for one wanted Valkyrie Profile for the following reasons:
- Megaman X-style dungeons
- The best 2D visuals I have ever seen
- One of Sakuraba's best soundtracks
- Uniqueness. You can't play a game like VP without actually playing VP.

That last one applies to Intelligent Qube, Gitaroo Man, and Rez, as well.

.. So yeah, it's def. worth it for any fan of pre-PS1 video gaming.

Capitals were used for emphasis, not because I'm angry. :D

bread's done
Back