Why Does Steam Think I'm Playing GTA IV All The Time?

DirkBelig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Take a look at the cards in my sig. According to the Steam card, I've played 92.3 hours in the past two weeks with the last game being GTA IV. My XBL card also shows the last game played as GTA. In actuality, I played Torchlight for a couple of hours last night and perhaps a couple more over a few nights last week. While I may've put in a half-hour or so of GTA IV last week, I only put in 60 hours over two months beating the game on the Xbox when it came out and on the PC, I just had my first date with the undercover cop chick, so WTF?!?

The PC was off over the weekend (wasn't home) and rebooted last night before I played Torchlight, so it's not as if the Rockstar Social Club app or something is causing an alert. It's not seeing me running 24/7 because it would be 336 hours in two weeks if it was. Steam isn't even on at home right now, so I'm baffled as to what the cause may be. Any ideas?

Someone using your account or you have software running in the background of your computer when it is ON.

No one is using my account unless I somehow got hacked, they DLed just GTA and none of the other games in my account, and then played it 85 hours without scoring a single achievement since my score remains the same. GTA is only installed on my home PC.

What software would be running in the background that could make it look like the game's being played? I split time between home and my g/f's place and have been gone 5 of the past 14 days and the computer is off when I'm gone. As I mentioned, as you can see, the last two games I've played were Torchlight last night and a little Mass Effect the night before. I haven't touched GTA since last week and the PC's been off or rebooted before gaming. I don't have Steam launch with Windows.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']If you leave Rockstar Social Club running, Steam counts that as GTAIV being played. At least that's how it's happened to me.[/QUOTE]Hmmm. Does that load independently of Steam when Windows starts? (At work now.) Since I hadn't played GTA at all this week, I don't get why it would be running otherwise. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I think it has an option to load at startup, that is of course on by default. I hate stuff like that. Its like programs that want to put a desktop icon, a quick launch icon, 3 start menu links, and boot on startup by default (with a splash screen). I already installed your fucking program - stop hassling me.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']If you leave Rockstar Social Club running, Steam counts that as GTAIV being played. At least that's how it's happened to me.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the most likely cause. Just closing GTA4 after playing it isn't enough, you need to kill the stupid social club as well. As much as I like GTA4 they really made the PC version a pain in the ass with GFWL and the social club.

Yep, that appears to be what caused it - leaving RSSC on in the background. I haven't played it all week and the time dropped into the 70s over the past couple of days and is 22 hours over 2 weeks now. It will probably drop to sub-10 hours by tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

As I suspected, it now reads 3 hours, but I don't get why it shows my last three games played as Torchlight, Mass Effect, and Freedom Force (front to back) when I played FF yesterday.

bread's done
Back