Why is CAG text resizable using FF but not IE?

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
The text on CAG (thread links, text inside threads, etc.) is resizable in Firefox (you can hold CTL and use your scroll wheel or View -> Text Size.

But using IE the text is not resizable. I'm guessing it's because the CSS here uses pixels or some other measurement that IE won't resize?

Also, anyone know of a free windows browser that will resize the text on CAG and does not re-use IE's internet options? (Besides FF, of course.) I'm toying around with using a 2nd browser for CAG that I set to use my colors and slightly increase the text size, but the few I've tried (Avant and one other), re-use IE's options and I don't want to always use my colors in IE.

It's actually kind of strange. If you have actually formatted your text in anyway, it looks like it will resize it in IE, but it doesn't effect the default text. Take a look at the GameRush thread on the deals page for example. All the text that I've messed with settings on will change with Ctrl-scroll, but the other stuff won't.

Edit: You can also see it in your sig and joevan's. So Ctrl-scroll may only work with html coded text in IE? Not sure on the details.

Why don't you move this to the CAG Site discussion forum, so Cheapy and the tech's are more likely to see it?

I wish there was a way to make the font smaller permanently. It only works within the one tab that you do it in, and I have multiple tabs open all the time.

[quote name='wubb'](1) The text on CAG (thread links, text inside threads, etc.) is resizable in Firefox (you can hold CTL and use your scroll wheel or View -> Text Size.

(2) But using IE the text is not resizable. I'm guessing it's because the CSS here uses pixels or some other measurement that IE won't resize?

(3) Also, anyone know of a free windows browser that will resize the text on CAG and does not re-use IE's internet options? (Besides FF, of course.) I'm toying around with using a 2nd browser for CAG that I set to use my colors and slightly increase the text size, but the few I've tried (Avant and one other), re-use IE's options and I don't want to always use my colors in IE.[/QUOTE]
(1) You can also do it with Ctrl+, Ctrl- together. The precision isn't as exact as the mousewheel.

(2) Yes, IE cannot resize pixel-specified text.

(3) I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want your text sizes/colors to be permanent for a site in FF without changing everything globally, you can do it in userContent.css.

Code:
In C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[yourprofile]\chrome\userContent.css :

@-moz-document domain(cheapassgamer.com) {
* { font-size: 20px !important; }
}

You'll probably have to create userContent.css, and replace the 20px with whatever you want.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's actually kind of strange. If you have actually formatted your text in anyway, it looks like it will resize it in IE, but it doesn't effect the default text. Take a look at the GameRush thread on the deals page for example. All the text that I've messed with settings on will change with Ctrl-scroll, but the other stuff won't.[/QUOTE]
That sites uses pixels to specfy text size.

[quote name='P0ldy']
(3) I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want your text sizes/colors to be permanent for a site in FF without changing everything globally, you can do it in userContent.css.

Code:
In C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[yourprofile]\chrome\userContent.css :

* { font-size: 20px !important; }
}

You'll probably have to create userContent.css, and replace the 20px with whatever you want.

[/QUOTE]

I'll take a look at that when I get a minute and the motivation. Thanks for the tip! :)

UPDATE: Went ahead and played around with this and it's just what I wanted. :bow: :bow:

Code:
* {
    background: #111111;
    color: white; }
}

I ended up going with this for my settings. Gives the text a nice extra bit of contrast. (Going white background with black text looks like ass with the graphics, etc) and leaving out !important leaves the links and any text that was specifically changed to a new color alone with I like. Might play around with the size, but for now I'm leaving it at the default. It still looks a bit hokey, but I can live with it for the increased contrast.

I had played around with changing the CSS via greasemonkey, but that was ubercomplex on this site and GM didn't seem to really work 100% of the time.

Oh, and this doesn't work (for CAG BG and text color at least) with earlier version of FF (I was running 1.0.6) but it was time to upgrade to 1.5 anyway.

bread's done
Back