Why is GT4 New so cheap on Ebay?

I just checked the completed listing for sealed Gran Turismo 4 games, and they're only going for $25-30. And yet stores have it for $45-50.

What's the deal?

Is it a bad game & people don't it?

troy

It's supposedly a decent game, but it has been out for quite a while. Personally, I won't buy it because Burnout 3 has spoiled me. GT4 seems so slow compared to the Burnout series.

The game is great... but just like everything that sell million... people get rid of there copy after a few months... and the ebay price will drop... just look what happen to Halo 2///

[quote name='Zantetsuken']hahah[/QUOTE]

Dont laugh. its true.

Forza has 78 hours of playtime. GT4 probably has 10 tops and is on the shelf.

[quote name='Jerichoedge']It's supposedly a decent game, but it has been out for quite a while. Personally, I won't buy it because Burnout 3 has spoiled me. GT4 seems so slow compared to the Burnout series.[/QUOTE]this is true... All I would add is.... GT Sux compared to all the new games, and it is all played out!!!

GT3 was great, nothing like it at the time. GT4, for me, just seems like a slight visual upgrade and not much else. I bought gt4 and have played it for about 2 hours, compared to a hundred hours in GT3. I would agree with one of the above posters that Forza, Burnout 3 are simply much funner to play.

I honestly don't think that the GT series is as revered as it used to be. After so many years of seeing the same glaring issues (that straight line AI, and again no online play), seeing great games like Forza, and of having experienced total adrenaline-rushing gameplay with Burnout 3, its hard to feel the same sort of love for GT as I used to.

Maybe my standards are too low, but GT4 satisified my expectations. I've been playing GT since the first one, and the series has yet to disappoint. You just have to appreciate it for what it is, and that is a driving simulator. It's not an arcade game, like Burnout 3.

And GT4 lasts longer than Forza I think. You'll spend 24 hours MINIMUM completing THREE races (the three 24 hour endurances, minimum 8 hours on each through B-Spec)

[quote name='lordnovas']b/c forza is better[/QUOTE]

I've got to second that. I wish Forza had GT4's car selection, but as far as gameplay goes, I have to give Forza its props. Far better, in my opinion.

[quote name='dracula']i sold mine for $38 shipped on ebay yesterday(buyitnow)[/QUOTE]Can you send me a link to your auction? Maybe if I copy your description, my copy will sell for $38 too?

The reason I'm selling it, is because I know it will be ~$20 after Christmas. No sense paying $40 for a game that I can get for $20 or less.

troy

The game has been out for 4-5 months. Just because a retail store still sells it for $50 dosn't mean everyone else can get the same price a pretty old game. Look at Halo 2, 3 months after it came out used copies could be purchased for $25-$30 on eba...heck, ANY game that is out for 2-3 months usually sells for that price.

[quote name='electrictroy']
The reason I'm selling it, is because I know it will be ~$20 after Christmas. No sense paying $40 for a game that I can get for $20 or less.

troy[/QUOTE]

Why did you buy it for $40 then?

sorry Matarick... don't know who you are?
[quote name='chickenhawk']Why did you buy it for $40 then?[/QUOTE]
So I could get a $20 rebate off the Logitech Wheel.

(shrug) If I don't sell it, it's no big deal. I *do* like racing games, so I'll get my money's worth from GT4. I just prefer to sell it for $40 now... and buy it back later at $20. That's all.

troy

Cause retail is a rip basically, that's why you don't go to stores unless they have some sale posted in the Cheap Ass Video Game Deals forum. Online is the way to go, unless it's a game you want really bad.

[quote name='mkg12']Cause retail is a rip basically, that's why you don't go to stores unless they have some sale posted in the Cheap Ass Video Game Deals forum. Online is the way to go, unless it's a game you want really bad.[/QUOTE]

Ya...retail stores are a rip...even though they supply jobs for people.

They are lucky if they can pay a worker one hour's worth of wage per "new" video game sale. So tell me how that's a rip?

So what are you trying to say? That they don't make any money selling $50 new games? I thought major retailers made a good profit off games.

I thought you fanboys loved sony , why get rid of gt4 , im not a sony fanboy i prefer nintedo, still i have gt1 gt2 gt3 waiting for a price drop on gt4 , who ever said gt had a maximum of 10 hours playtime Haha that's for you abviously you are not familiar with the title , im still to beat every license and every race with gold on all of them !

[quote name='mkg12']So what are you trying to say? That they don't make any money selling $50 new games? I thought major retailers made a good profit off games.[/QUOTE]

they are *lucky* if they can buy a game at 40 dollars and sell it for 50.

for the most part the wholesale prices on games are anywhere from 41-45 dollars ive seen. most in the upper.

well, i'm sure the game will be GH anyway at some point, at which time it'll cost $19.99. I told myself that about GT4 and Tekken 5 first few times I saw them in the stores... I figure there will be several non-GH unopened versions at stores for both of these right around the time they switch to GH anyway (in the evnt one doesn't like the GH packaging)...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']they are *lucky* if they can buy a game at 40 dollars and sell it for 50.

for the most part the wholesale prices on games are anywhere from 41-45 dollars ive seen. most in the upper.[/QUOTE]

No matter how little profit they make on a single game , profit is profit and retailers sell millions !

[quote name='Samurai X']No matter how little profit they make on a single game , profit is profit and retailers sell millions ![/QUOTE]

...and who do you think takes the loss when a game drops to 29.99? if you buy 10 units of a game at 40 dollars a pop, and only sell 5 at 50 bucks, that means you made 50 dollars. now say the demand goes away, that means you drop the price to 29.99, and sell the rest at that price (hopefully), congrats, you broke even.

And that's how it works for the most part.

Sounds like game stores are almost as bad as grocery stores? Your typical grocery store only makes 1/2 penny per item sold. Sounds like game stores have a similar tiny profit?

I think *everyone* should work retail at one point in their lives. Ask the manager how much they spend to buy the products. Watch how much the product sells for. Subtract the cost for lighting, leasing, and wages.

It will make you realize that stores are NOT rich.

troy

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']they are *lucky* if they can buy a game at 40 dollars and sell it for 50.

for the most part the wholesale prices on games are anywhere from 41-45 dollars ive seen. most in the upper.[/QUOTE]

proof? have you got some sort of numbers to back this statement up?

There are plenty of stores that advertise lots of loss leaders in their weekly ads to get people in the door, but then they make a killing on game accessories,

[quote name='dracula']proof? have you got some sort of numbers to back this statement up?

There are plenty of stores that advertise lots of loss leaders in their weekly ads to get people in the door, but then they make a killing on game accessories,[/QUOTE]

the only proof i had was when i worked at a gamestore i had my managers whole sale lists and saw his sheets he got direct from the company- the cheapest price i saw on a new game was shing megami tensei nocturne for 39 dollars + shipping.

also ive talked to several gamestop and eb managers. heck you can even ask defender if this is true.

I work at Circuit City, and every few weeks we get print outs with how much the store pays for merchandise. Most $50 games are around $43-$46. And then when a game drops to $29.99, the store loses a fortune. Our store pays $149.73 for an Xbox console. They retail for $149.99.

And the store pays about $12 for every CD, so when you see a CD on sale for $10.99, the store is losing a dollar.

Yes, all of the money is made on accessories. But that's because it has to be made somewhere, or else the store will close down. If it wasn't for the monster cables, TV stands, and Laptop cases of the world, stores like Best Buy and Circuit City would not survive.

And believe it or not, stores make more money on stuff like cases than on protection plans. Protection plans are only a marginal profit in the long run since most people use them at least once for cleaning or something. Protection plans are there as a way to establish customer loyalty.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']the only proof i had was when i worked at a gamestore i had my managers whole sale lists and saw his sheets he got direct from the company- the cheapest price i saw on a new game was shing megami tensei nocturne for 39 dollars + shipping.

also ive talked to several gamestop and eb managers. heck you can even ask defender if this is true.[/QUOTE]

the larger retailers that buy bigger bulk, they get a much better wholesale price bc of the quantities they are buying.

for example, when ebgames and gamestop merge next year, then they will hands down be getting the best wholesale prices because they are placing the largest wholesale orders, that is why the merger is a big deal.(edit: i have a hunch walmart gets even better wholesale prices because of the quantities they are buying)

how much overhead is there on game accessories?

[quote name='Mr.Answer']GT3 was great, nothing like it at the time. GT4, for me, just seems like a slight visual upgrade and not much else. I bought gt4 and have played it for about 2 hours, compared to a hundred hours in GT3. I would agree with one of the above posters that Forza, Burnout 3 are simply much funner to play.[/QUOTE]
You wouldn't happen to be from South Dakota would you, since you havea Captain 11 Logo.

[quote name='dracula']the larger retailers that buy bigger bulk, they get a much better wholesale price bc of the quantities they are buying.

for example, when ebgames and gamestop merge next year, then they will hands down be getting the best wholesale prices because they are placing the largest wholesale orders, that is why the merger is a big deal.(edit: i have a hunch walmart gets even better wholesale prices because of the quantities they are buying)

how much overhead is there on game accessories?[/QUOTE]

now much, 5-9 dollars on alot of the 19.99 accessories depending on what they are usually. and yes you got it, wal mart gets a little more of a cheaper price from the game companies because wal mart is so big its like free advertising having the games there. Mom and pop and small game stores alike get brutally screwed and there is no chance of making money selling new stuff at all.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']now much, 5-9 dollars on alot of the 19.99 accessories depending on what they are usually. and yes you got it, wal mart gets a little more of a cheaper price from the game companies because wal mart is so big its like free advertising having the games there. Mom and pop and small game stores alike get brutally screwed and there is no chance of making money selling new stuff at all.[/QUOTE]

OK, then the average american consumer must be idiotic(i assume many people pay $50 for a game, which to me is unthinkable)

holy shit, gamerush must really be taking a bath on all the preorders they offer for $30

how much money does a store like BB or CC make on players choice titles?

there is big money in pawnshops like EB or GS selling used games, their bread and butter is offering a customer $3 in trade in credit and then turning around and selling that game for $30.

are customers really that stupid/lazy? the entire gaming industry is baffling to me. but i digress.

[quote name='dracula']holy shit, gamerush must really be taking a bath on all the preorders they offer for $30[/QUOTE]

Taking a bath? What in the hell is that from?

I don't quite know if that's bad or good.

[quote name='dracula']OK, then the average american consumer must be idiotic(i assume many people pay $50 for a game, which to me is unthinkable)

holy shit, gamerush must really be taking a bath on all the preorders they offer for $30

how much money does a store like BB or CC make on players choice titles?

there is big money in pawnshops like EB or GS selling used games, their bread and butter is offering a customer $3 in trade in credit and then turning around and selling that game for $30.

are customers really that stupid/lazy? the entire gaming industry is baffling to me. but i digress.[/QUOTE]

well think of it this way:

the reason gamestop wants preorders is for a set in stone sale. when they can make 5 bucks, give out a bonus, and get a game out in the open, its worth it to them.

Eb, gamerush, gamecrazy, etc companies like that sell new games hoping they will come back. Believe me, im sure the big wigs have a set number on the life (how much a game passes threw the hands and is resold.) span of a single game.

from the shop ive worked out, ive seen a single copy of a certain grand theft auto 3 xbox copy came and go 3 times.

[quote name='ngamer007']And believe it or not, stores make more money on stuff like cases than on protection plans. Protection plans are only a marginal profit in the long run since most people use them at least once for cleaning or something.[/QUOTE]
I suspect not. Studies show that most people buy protection plans, and then *forget* they have them. Never used! So that's 100% money in the store's pocket. That's why they push the plans so hard.

At Sears, you can be the #1 salesman in the store, but if you're Protection Plan rate is low, they'll remove you. PPs are their main profit-maker.

troy

bread's done
Back