Why is my PSone broken?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
My PSone displays a colorless, scrambled screen and I cannot understand why.

I have not played my PSone in several months, probably close to a year. I've always remembered it to work. I keep all games and televisions unplugged while not in use to safeguard against an electrical shock.

I set up my PSone (re-designed, smaller, slimmer Playstation relased around 2000 or so) and got a scrambled sceen. I thought it might be the input cable. I tried FIVE AV cables for the PSone and none of them worked. I tried different TVs and even tried an RFU connector with the same results. I swapped out my PSone for an original Playstation using the same AV cable and everything worked just fine. I cannot understand why a game system would work and later not work after being packed away for several months in a dry, air conditioned room.

Is there a special AV cable used with the PSone that differs from the original Playstation? Is there any reason why I would see a distorted, colorless screen? Why would a game console become disfunctional when taken care of? Is there anything I can do to remedy the broken PSone? Is it really broken?

Reason number 1 why electronics go bad is capacitors, they leak after a while. You can remove and resolder all caps and hope it fixes it or spend $20 on a used ps1.

bread's done
Back