Why The Wii Didn't Appeal To The 'Core'

That's so old it's not even funny.

Speaking of not funny, here's a rundown of that one trustworthy journalist on Neogaf (This is for a Wii U game, btw):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38629292&postcount=28

- Not Mario, Zelda or BW
- Not a racing game
- Was suggested by users in the speculation threads there
- Is an existing IP that historically hasn't sold well; he thinks it will likely bomb
- Is something he's personally very excited for

Given the last 2 lines, particularly the one I bolded, I think it's Metroid.

The WIi was missing just about everything last gen, it didn't get any of the big titles. By owning a Wii you missed out on almost everything of the current gen. This means Wii owners didn't even have the opportunity to try any of the big games, they were stuck with a Wii and only Nintendo games. I didn't think it was a huge deal at first but looking back on the PS3 and XBox 360's library I realize just how much was missed. If you only owned a Wii of the current gen, you probably missed out on about 90% of the current gen's big games.

Nintendo needs to target the hardcore because the hardcore actually buy games, I am sure Nintendo sold a lot of Wii's, but how much software did they sell to casuals. Not very much. Most were happy with their initial purchase of the Wii and Wii Sports. They probably didn't buy any other games for months and maybe purchased 1 game per year if they even purchased anything after Wii Sports. That is not good for software sales. The hardcore purchase at minimum probably 3 games per year, most buy many more than that.

If the Wii U gets every big third party title then it will be on an even playing field with the next Xbox and PS whatever.

[quote name='Corvin']Actually Nintendo sold the Wii to the core at launch based on potential and a lot of those people feel burned.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the launch games, I'm not sure how the core Nintendo gamer could get excited at all about it. Really, the only draw I saw was Twilight Princess, which was also on Gamecube.

That was probably one of the weakest launch lineups out there.

[quote name='SaraAB']The WIi was missing just about everything last gen, it didn't get any of the big titles. By owning a Wii you missed out on almost everything of the current gen. This means Wii owners didn't even have the opportunity to try any of the big games, they were stuck with a Wii and only Nintendo games. I didn't think it was a huge deal at first but looking back on the PS3 and XBox 360's library I realize just how much was missed. If you only owned a Wii of the current gen, you probably missed out on about 90% of the current gen's big games.[/quote]

Well, big cross-platform titles, yes. (Tho, in my experience, the real "big games" are console exclusive.) The good thing about the WiiU is that it should address the cross-platform problem.

Nintendo needs to target the hardcore because the hardcore actually buy games, I am sure Nintendo sold a lot of Wii's, but how much software did they sell to casuals. Not very much. Most were happy with their initial purchase of the Wii and Wii Sports. They probably didn't buy any other games for months and maybe purchased 1 game per year if they even purchased anything after Wii Sports. That is not good for software sales. The hardcore purchase at minimum probably 3 games per year, most buy many more than that.

You know, people say that, but would all the "shovelware" (so to speak) be out there if people weren't buying it? We make asumptions here of what the casual/family gamer buys, and we really don't know.

If the Wii U gets every big third party title then it will be on an even playing field with the next Xbox and PS whatever.

While nowadays it is important to have the multiplatform support, ultimately it is about the unique content. What they need is more than just multiplatform support, but console-exclusive third party support. Nintendo still brings it when they release a game most of the time, but they haven't been consistent enough bringing it out to do it by themselves. They need the third party developers to step up, and they need more than just Ubisoft in their corner.

For me any way, recently has been the Wii's strongest stretch. Starting with Zelda, then Rhythm Heaven, the 3 RPGs (I'm assuming we'll get Pandora's tower now) The Kirby Collection, and I know theirs some other games that are escaping me. But right now, sinking my teeth into Xenoblade, I play my wii more than any other console by far.

I got a Wii but I have no plans for getting a Wii U at launch. When xbox 3 and ps4 come out, the Wii U will have a price drop. From what I've seen of it titles, there isn't anything I can't already get without buying it anyway. To make matters worse, will the console play next gen games if it's only as powerful as the current gen consoles?

The casual thing we are saying is pretty true, most of the people that own a Wii that I know only have Wii sports and about 2-3 other games and have had the system for years now, They need to get bigger titles instead of making the same Mario game all the time....it's getting annoying.

Overall with regards to my taste in games, niche, great gameplay, it would seem the Wii has the least amount of games of any home console I'd had from Nintendo. Its a bit disappointing but at least the games I've decided to keep were all really good at what they do.

[quote name='SaraAB']
If the Wii U gets every big third party title then it will be on an even playing field with the next Xbox and PS whatever.[/QUOTE]

Not really. The WiiU will graphically be eclipsed by both, which is a factor to some people and...

[quote name='TheLongshot']
While nowadays it is important to have the multiplatform support, ultimately it is about the unique content. What they need is more than just multiplatform support, but console-exclusive third party support. Nintendo still brings it when they release a game most of the time, but they haven't been consistent enough bringing it out to do it by themselves. They need the third party developers to step up, and they need more than just Ubisoft in their corner.[/QUOTE]

For the WiiU to even be remotely close to the same playing field it means catering to shooter fans. That means a functional controller, a functional online service and a way to chat among team members. So far Nintendo has addressed one of those with the new non-tablet controller. (assuming the flopped analog placement doesn't suck)

Fanboys can cry "shooters, Halo & CoD are teh sukke" all they want, but until Nintendo supports those features their console will never be on par with the PS3 & 360.

bread's done
Back