wife VS gaming systems

jdevlin7756

CAGiversary!
My wife is, of course, highly critical of my gaming systems. Not that we can't afford them, she thinks time spent playing games is a complete waste.

Yesterday I got a DS and she was unhappy (even though I got it for $50). This has me worried, since I want to buy (or get for Christmas from her) a 360. We usually make all major purchasing decisions together, and I don't want to be an ass and buy it without her consent.

I've managed to get her to accept my XB by getting her to want Yourself Fitness (she already worked out, I'm not a jerk). She actually bought me a GC as a birthday present, so she has been cool about this in the past. However, now with three gaming systems, I think she's getting fed up.

HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HER TO ACCEPT MY GAMING!!!

If this is the biggest issue in your marriage consider yourself lucky. I've seen and heard worse and plus any relationship is about compromise(sp?). Maybe she feels like it's taking away from her being the center of attention or maybe she has something else she's mad at you about and is just venting though the games. Find a middle ground maybe just limit how much you play and buy.

Oh lord. If youre wife cant be supportive of activities she doesnt also enjoy but arent harmful to her or yourself then youve got serious problems far greater than her not getting you a 360 for xmas.
You need to have a serious sit down talk with her. Lay it out. Explain to her this is something you enjoy and as long as you do it in moderation (i.e. it doesnt keep you from your husbandly duties) she needs to be accepting of it.(feel free to use examples of activities she does you dont care for BUT DONT do it in a "well you do this so I can this" sort of manner. Just show you are ok with her activities and how easy it is for her to be accepting of yours.)

Having a wife who is a hardcore gamer is a blessing, the more I'm on here the more I'm amazed that wives are like this. Try easing her into games, find a puzzle title or something that will hold her interest and then baby-step her to something like mario or joust or a namco collection, then from there move to smb 3 and more difficult platformers. Maybe if you share it, rather then oppose it, the 360 will be an easier conversation to have. Show her why she needs it as much as you do. Try showing her the online connectivity of xbox live and their arcade games.

It's this simple: Don't let her be involved in the finances. It's the last thing you want a woman to be involved in.

[quote name='evilmax17']Show her Nintendogs.[/QUOTE]
If the gal aint a gamer she just aint a gamer. So be it. My woman despised football but part of the baggage that comes with me is that so she had to learn to deal with it or walk.
I think a lot of gamers think there is some magic game, system, etc. that will turn their loved one into a gamer so all will be wonderful in the land of DSes and Unicorns. Sometimes people you love just dont love WHAT you love. They need to learn that as long as its harmless theres no reason for them to get upset about it. If they cant, you ve got a bad woman/man on your hands and need to reacess whether they are good for you.

Try DS games like Nintendogs, Kirby, Puyo Pop Fever, Zookeeper, Polarium, ...

Those are generally very easy games or games designed for an audience who isn't obsessed with destroying everything on the screen. If she has ANY gaming habit at all, ie traditional games like cards, scrabble, trivial pursuit, it shouldn't be that hard to turn her on to some entry level games. If she doesn't, start with the traditional stuff like backgammon, scrabble, easy card games, etc... and work your way up to more technologically advanced gaming.

Kirby is a little difficult later on, but its charm is highly recommended.

If she has absolutly zero interest in any sort of gaming. You may be out of luck and you'll have to accept the limits your marriage proposes, or get a divorce.

[quote name='jdevlin7756']NOOOO, I don't want that schmarmy crap in my house.[/QUOTE]

Consider that schmarmy crap a possible entry way for your wife to appreciate gaming.

Consider the possibility that whatever crap you play may seem schmarmy to her.

[quote name='evanft']It's this simple: Don't let her be involved in the finances. It's the last thing you want a woman to be involved in.[/QUOTE]

The man speaks the truth, very good advice.

[quote name='evanft']It's this simple: Don't let her be involved in the finances. It's the last thing you want a woman to be involved in.[/QUOTE]

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause::imwithst:

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Having a wife who is a hardcore gamer is a blessing, the more I'm on here the more I'm amazed that wives are like this. Try easing her into games, find a puzzle title or something that will hold her interest and then baby-step her to something like mario or joust or a namco collection, then from there move to smb 3 and more difficult platformers. Maybe if you share it, rather then oppose it, the 360 will be an easier conversation to have. Show her why she needs it as much as you do. Try showing her the online connectivity of xbox live and their arcade games.[/QUOTE]
I've been trying to convert my wife. I've bought her games like Spyro and Bust a Move and she likes those. Slowly....Slowly. Also, games where you can play together will make her appreciate your gaming together.

Luckily my wife has accepted my gaming as part of the package however I try to game when she is occupied with something else.

Luckily, I get home before my wife does, so I can get an hour or 2 of gaming in before she comes home. I try to make sure I jump up and greet her at the front door, so she doesn't think I'm ignoring her.

It also helps to have 2 tv's, so she can watch her WB crap and I can game. I try to have 1 set night per week to meet my buddies on Live for Halo 2, so she's cool with that.

beat her...and anytime after you beat her she says something about video games beat her again and again and again (unless she beats you since she works out;) )

but seriously, my wife likes games that we can play together whether it be racing games, the mario party and sports games, certain fighting games, or puzzle games but at the same time she is hooked on animal crossing and likes the disney games which she plays by herself

Just remind her there are much worse ways to spend time and money. My wife is more understanding since I pointed out that I have never paid full price for a game or a system. It also helps that my brother-in-law who makes about $1000.00 more a year than I do spent $3000.00 for a shotgun used for 2 weeks of hunting and 8 weeks of trap (although it is a really nice shotgun). Not to mention the thousands of dollars he spends on hunting trips, taxidermy, and licenses. Hunting and fishing are much more expensive hobbies than gaming but they are more accepted.
I personally know people who spend thousands of dollars each year on sports memorabilia and season tickets but no one hassels them about wasting their time and money.
When all else fails I mention that I could always spend the time and money at the bar or use it to buy drugs.

I'm going through the same thing with my fiancee. she "thinks" i'm getting rid of my video games when we get married next may. like judas priest, she's got another thing comin'!

god2.jpg

sell your old systems as you get new ones since they all will be backwards compatible, this will prevent you from having an excess in game consoles

[quote name='munch']I'm going through the same thing with my fiancee. she "thinks" i'm getting rid of my video games when we get married next may. like judas priest, she's got another thing comin'!

god2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What, you're going to come out of the closet? :whistle2:s ;)

I'm seeing a lot of good suggestions here.

Theres violence, thats always a good one. Not letting them get involved in things is another.

When coming up with a solution, it should pass the following test:

Does this solution set women back more than 30 years? If yes, you're good to go.

Well, my gf hated the fact i played videogames all the time. Heres my response:

"Hey do you want me at home playing games or going out with my friends, drinking and doing who knows what with who knows who?!"

Didnt work too good.....then i got her animal crossing :)
2 TVs work wonders, she would play cube one one TV, and i would play whatever on the other tv. Also have the Xbox and PS2 on opposite tvs, so that if she wants to watch a dvd, i dont have to turn my game off.

The only solution for you to come out a winner in this fight, is a double KO. In other words, comprimise. Tell her you will try to buy/play less, if she would be more embracing of it. You would be suprised how much less you are willing to play/buy if you arent being nagged and actually have a partner in things.

For instance, the Xbox 360
you- "Honey, i want to get the new Xbox 360 coming out for christmas"
wife - "Now sweety, you already have that other system taking up all that space in XXXXX"
you- "I know but the graphics are sooo much better, and you can play cool games"
wife - "Like what?"
you- "Um....you know, halo 3, perfect dark. it has wireless controllers too!"
wife - "Wireless controllers? How much is this going to cost?"
you -" sfohnfo"
wife- "what? i couldnt hear you."
you- "$400"
wife- "$400?! WTF I WANT A DIVORCE!"

sorry man...looks like your SoL :whistle2:( no way your gonna win over an xbox 360 without getting her hooked into games first

Of all games people suggested to 'converty' her to gaming, nobody mentioned The Sims. Definate chick game. Rollercoaster Tycoon is another definate 'gateway' game for chick ;)

[quote name='javeryh']You guys need to stop dating girls that don't allow you to be yourselves.[/QUOTE]

Javeryh pulls through with some great advice. I retract my previous statement about the pooping commandments.

[quote name='Kerig']3 letters of advice: R E Z (with the extra add-on, of course :)[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

ya, tough situation, Nintendogs probably is your best bet at introducing her to gaming. As far as her not respecting how you spend your time, it's probably just a matter of how she was raised and her perspective. Introducing her to something like Nintendogs may do wonders to alter her perspective. After all, how many of you think romance novels, daytime talk (conflict) shows, or daytime soap operas are a waste of time, yet millions partake in them.

Educate, don't berate.

Well if she puts the ultimatem of either them or her its going to come down to which thing do you want to stick in which slot the most...

Here's a suggestion...

Have kids. It works. My son and I play multiplayer Rogue Squadron III and the NGC is staying put!

Try to get your girl interested in gaming, preferably games you can play together - that's how I got mine to stop minding.

Dynasty Warriors and X-Men Legends were the key.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well if she puts the ultimatem of either them or her its going to come down to which thing do you want to stick in which slot the most...[/QUOTE]

:lol: It sure took long enough for this comment to show up. I'm stunned that I got to the second page before seeing it.

[quote name='neocisco']:lol: It sure took long enough for this comment to show up. I'm stunned that I got to the second page before seeing it.[/QUOTE]

I read through all the replies and saw it wasn't there so I decided to make it official.

Then when this thread hits 80-90 posts, someone who only reads the OP will make the same joke again... just watch, it'll happen.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I read through all the replies and saw it wasn't there so I decided to make it official.

Then when this thread hits 80-90 posts, someone who only reads the OP will make the same joke again... just watch, it'll happen.[/QUOTE]

It's true, it's true!

OP how long you been married? My wife was like that at first about gaming and my sports watching and playing. I've been married 6 years and I very respectfully kept my ground about my hobbies. After about 3 years we hit a point where we stopped trying to change each other and just accepted things about each other. My wife is even to the point that she will pick up a game she knows I want if its on sale. If you have a good woman this should blow over

[quote name='jdevlin7756']My wife is, of course, highly critical of my gaming systems. Not that we can't afford them, she thinks time spent playing games is a complete waste.

Yesterday I got a DS and she was unhappy (even though I got it for $50). This has me worried, since I want to buy (or get for Christmas from her) a 360. We usually make all major purchasing decisions together, and I don't want to be an ass and buy it without her consent.

I've managed to get her to accept my XB by getting her to want Yourself Fitness (she already worked out, I'm not a jerk). She actually bought me a GC as a birthday present, so she has been cool about this in the past. However, now with three gaming systems, I think she's getting fed up.

HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HER TO ACCEPT MY GAMING!!![/QUOTE]
Dude, seriously, if she's pissed that you got a DS for $50, you're fucked. If she can't understand that you're not out fucking someone else, or pissing away money putting crap up your nose, or falling down drunk, or a thousand other much worse time/money sinks than gaming, there is really nothing you can do. I've been married for almost 5 years now. My wife is a lite gamer, but she listens to me prattle on constantly about gaming. She doesn't really care, but she is willing to listen. She has gotten pissed a time or two (she wasn't really happy about that $1000 turbografx collection I won on ebay and then had to figure out how I was going to pay for it), but she understands there are many worse habits to have. Actually, my Law & Order addiction bothers her much more... Also, unless you became a gamer after getting married, you should have worked through this first. My wife was fully aware that she was sharing me with hockey, gaming and my DVD collection when we got married. I love her and all, but if she said quit watching hockey or playing games or I'm leaving you, I'd be on the phone to a lawyer shortly thereafter. If she can't accept YOU, then reevaluate your relationship.

[quote name='jlarlee']OP how long you been married? My wife was like that at first about gaming and my sports watching and playing. I've been married 6 years and I very respectfully kept my ground about my hobbies. After about 3 years we hit a point where we stopped trying to change each other and just accepted things about each other. My wife is even to the point that she will pick up a game she knows I want if its on sale. If you have a good woman this should blow over[/QUOTE]

My wife was the same. Been married 5 yrs now. Every once in awhile she still gives me hell about gaming. Some days she wants me to game (do something besides bugging her :razz: ).

Stand your ground about your hobby, but be sure to spend that quality time with her. In a few short years, the quality time decreases and the gaming increases. Took my wife that long to realize that being around each other all the time is a bad idea.

Also it helps that I work 3rd shift while she works during the day. :razz:

Wow I couldn't have married someone who didn't at least tolerate one of my biggest hobbies. (My wife actually also enjoys playing games). How did you do that?

If you want her to get involved in gaming get her the new Pink DS with Nintendogs when it comes out. But like several others have said she knew you liked to play games so she can't expect you to change overnight and it will take sometime for her to change her mind once she gets into a game she likes to play.

That is how I get my family involved by getting games they like to play I even have a few that I like to play with my boyfriend:

Katamari Damacy (Great budget title that is somewhat simple to get her into)
We Love Katamari (If she enjoyed the first then upgrade her to this one because it has even more ability for two people to enjoy it so you can play together)
X-Men Legends (Good if she just wants to play something with you)
Any Sims Game (She can play in a world by herself)
Any Lord of the Rings Game (If she enjoyed the movies these have good multiplayer for the both of you)

look guy, first you need to take the pants back from your wife and put them back on. next your the man, you tell her the way it is going to be...she can like it or lump it.

if you have kids like me, then gaming is little more complicated. they don't listen to anything you say, so my gaming is limited to the night time and when i lock them in the backyard during the weekend.

if you have access to xanax or any other night time sleepy medication (like boxed wine), i suggest encouraging your wife to take them. spike her drink or get her drunk. once she passes out around 8pm you have the night free to game. the optimal situation is do the above and bang her before she goes to sleep.

getting her to "accept" your hobby is going to be difficult. i wouldn't concentrate on changing her attitude because that is too much work. just play your games, and tell her to stfu at the appropriate times.

bread's done
Back