Wii $69 at Walmart (YMMV)

[quote name='outunderstars']At this point who really gives a crap if A wii can play gamecube games at this point?[/QUOTE]

I care about the fact that the new model actually can't play some Wii games. The required mat peripherals for games like the Dance Dance Revolution series and the Active Life series use the gamecube controller ports, making the games unplayable on newer Wii models.

[quote name='srac84']who cares about all this talk lol... has anyone else been able to find it for $69?? My local walmart rang up at $109.. so kinda thinking it was just at the OPs local walmart oh well..[/QUOTE]
Wondering this as well. Hopefully someone else other than the OP can report success. Walmart is one of my least favorite places to be, but I do would like a $80 Wii to give to my older relatives.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Take your logic and get out.[/QUOTE]
What he said is true. Backwards compatibility do add hardware costs, I have not researched the case for Wii and Gamecube, but it's true for the PS3/PS2 fiasco back then.

[quote name='TooPoor']What he said is true. Backwards compatibility do add hardware costs, I have not researched the case for Wii and Gamecube, but it's true for the PS3/PS2 fiasco back then.[/QUOTE]

Was joking.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Was joking.[/QUOTE]
Ah, now I see your angle. I am always slow in picking up these things:drool:

[quote name='TooPoor']Walmart is one of my least favorite places to be, but I do would like a $80 Wii to give to my older relatives.[/QUOTE]

No, please no. Don't buy a Wii that will just eat dust likes many Wiis in hospitals.

[quote name='007']Not to be 'corporate defender' guy, but... do people really think that Nintendo removed GC backwards compatibility for no reason? Like, they were just sitting around one day and went "Hey, you know what? fuck the consumer!"?

Money. It's money. Removing GC components saves manufacturing cost. It wasn't just software emulation, it was actual physical things that needed to be manufactured and put in the Wii. It may not have been an exorbitant amount of money, sure, but it's enough that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

And, uh, really... if you cared about GC compatibility, I'd like to think you wouldn't have waited 5 years to jump in.[/QUOTE]

Of course it saved manufacturing costs, but they also dropped the price of the Wii, so I don't think there was much net gain there. At the point when they dropped the price it should have just been a universal price drop anyway, so it was basically screwing people over who didn't know any better.

The thing I didn't like is how they did it so stealthily. It was a highly touted feature on the Wii and they removed it with an announcement that spread like a mouse fart in a hurricane. Even recently and probably still today I know a lot of "real" gamers who don't even realize that the new cheaper Wii's out there don't run GC games.

[quote name='srac84']I was just at walmart it was $109 at my local walmart.. so i guess no one else is finding it but the OP?[/QUOTE]

Just checked 2 local stores, still $109 in Austin, TX. My dad wants one to stream Netflix, and doesn't care about a lack of GC compatibility.

[quote name='pwhitenight']Just checked 2 local stores, still $109 in Austin, TX. My dad wants one to stream Netflix, and doesn't care about a lack of GC compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Just get a Roku if that's all he wants, will work better than any Wii for video streaming. Does the Wii even stream in HD? I don't think it does, whereas a Roku or G-Box will.

EDIT: Just checked, the Wii can't stream HD (no surprise since its max output is 480p). Why would anyone want to use the Wii for streaming, when all you get is crappy SD?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oasisboy']No, please no. Don't buy a Wii that will just eat dust likes many Wiis in hospitals.[/QUOTE]
Well, it's not my idea. There's a really popular Asian TV drama that's going on, and in it they were playing Wii, so my wife's aunt said she wants one. She's about 49, I think she will enjoy it.

If you're going to use a console for modded streaming, the old XBox is better than the Wii since it can play up to 1080i and you can install a hard drive. If you can still find one.

no one else find it for that price? i wonder if we can just call out local walmart and ask that way it wont be a wasted trip :p

[quote name='loomis1975']The more recent versions of the wii removed gamecube backwards compatibility just like the PS3 versions did with PS2 backward compatibility.[/QUOTE]
Any idea how to differentiate between the two?

[quote name='harry hood']Any idea how to differentiate between the two?[/QUOTE]

The Wii logo on the non-GC one is parallel with the longest side of the Wii. As well as it lacking GameCube ports...

[quote name='blcklblskt']The Wii logo on the non-GC one is parallel with the longest side of the Wii. As well as it lacking GameCube ports...[/QUOTE]
Genius!

d'oh, shoulda thought of that. thanks

[quote name='chimpmeister']Just get a Roku if that's all he wants, will work better than any Wii for video streaming. Does the Wii even stream in HD? I don't think it does, whereas a Roku or G-Box will.

EDIT: Just checked, the Wii can't stream HD (no surprise since its max output is 480p). Why would anyone want to use the Wii for streaming, when all you get is crappy SD?[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's a damn good idea. My Dad uses a Wii to stream Netflix, and wanted to get another for a secondary TV. I use my Xbox 360 and PS3 for streaming, so I haven't ever considered Roku. It looks like that will be a cheaper (and better) solution. Thanks fellow CAG!

Now I wish I could get back the time I spent looking at those two Wal-marts. Ugh.

[quote name='pwhitenight']Actually, that's a damn good idea. My Dad uses a Wii to stream Netflix, and wanted to get another for a secondary TV. I use my Xbox 360 and PS3 for streaming, so I haven't ever considered Roku. It looks like that will be a cheaper (and better) solution. Thanks fellow CAG!

Now I wish I could get back the time I spent looking at those two Wal-marts. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

No problem! I have a friend who has a Roku XS and loves it. I think that one is around $99, but there is a cheaper Roku as well. And there is the G-Box (Google Box), which is very powerful, but may need more tweaking to get working well.

You're much better off with one of those, than a Wii, which only outputs SD (max 480p).

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If not being able to play GameCube games is a knock against the Wii, wouldn't it also be a knock against the WiiU?[/QUOTE]

not really GC is pretty old in video game standards and gamestop I guess is going to quit selling GC games.

[quote name='blcklblskt']The Wii logo on the non-GC one is parallel with the longest side of the Wii. As well as it lacking GameCube ports...[/QUOTE]

My original wii also came with a stand so that you can place it vertically. It doesn't appear that the new version has the stand.

bread's done
Back