wii and my computer monitor

mosey73

CAGiversary!
does anyone know if the wii is comptible with computer monitors. ( my wife always has the tv tied up with csi and greys anatomy,but the computer is always free)

Not unless your computer monitor has component/s-vid/composite inputs which it most likely doesn't.

You could get a component to VGA box though I'm not sure if that would work.

[quote name='Vinny']Not unless your computer monitor has component/s-vid/composite inputs which it most likely doesn't.

You could get a component to VGA box though I'm not sure if that would work.[/quote]

It's more likely that his video card might have component/s-vid/composite inputs than the monitor itself. Check your video card and see if it has any of these types of inputs.

[quote name='lebowsky']It's more likely that his video card might have component/s-vid/composite inputs than the monitor itself. Check your video card and see if it has any of these types of inputs.[/QUOTE]

That's true... ATI cards have something called VIVO (video in, video out), not sure what/if Nvidia cards have something similar.

I've done the TV-In on my ATI card and it works just fine. When the TV isnt free anything is better than nothing. Havent a clue how it would affect videogames though.

Wait, I know my radeon card has an S-Video (along with VGA and DVI-I), is there some cable I can buy that connects from S-Video to Wii (or even DVI-I/VGA)? I'd love to find this. I was under the impression that such a connection does not exist, or that you'd need some expensive hardware converter. T_T

If there exists such a cable/connection, then how then heck is that done? Wii to Video Card, then Video Card to Monitor?

Dosen't the Wii have an S-Video cable available for it? That's weird if it doesn't. You can get one for the 360 and PS3, and they need component/hdmi/vga much more than a Wii.

EDIT: Another possibility if your monitor and video card dosen't accept composite or component-Adaptec's Gamebridge (see the thread in the deals forum). It works fairly well, although all USB video devices like that introduce a slight delay...I wouldn't want it to be my main display. Hooking directly to the monitor or video card would be the way to go, if possible.

As far as I know that is not how it would work, I don't think the S-video on the card is for input, but for like output to a tv monitor. Pretty sure you would need a VIVO or All-in-wonder radeon card to do what you want to do. The other option is if WII has a cable for VGA then I think you can work something out with that to the monitor either directly or with an adapter.

[quote name='hack']Thanks for the suggestions guys. The GameBridge sounds nice, but you mentioned a delay, which made it un-nice.

Anyway, I found a third party s-video cable...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802519

MadCatz... I'm not fond of their products at all. Anyone tried it out?[/QUOTE]

So your monitor has an S-video (but not component) input, right?

If so I might give that a shot, although I don't like third party stuff like that either.

Just because your ATI card can output S-Vid doesn't mean you have VIVO. You'll have to check your card's manual to see if you have it.

And I used the Intec s-video cables for a short bit (couldn't find Nintendo component cables but then ordered some cheapo ones and returned the s-vid cables). They were actually an improvement over composite... the games didn't look any sharper but there was much less noise and the colors were more defined.

bread's done
Back