Wii and the 1019 mem card issue...what now?

PlumeNoir

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Since I skipped getting a Game Cube, I bought a GC controller and official nintendo 1019 card last summer to catch up on some GC games. Now, I don't normally leave my Mem card in my Wii, but I have lately. (Hell, my two cards from my first PS1 rarely left the slots since '97 and they're fine.)

Yeah, let's just say I now know about the issues with the Wii and 1019 cards the hard way.

So, I was playing Eternal Darkness and one of my game saves corrupted, losing about two hrs worth of game play. No problem, I played through those two hrs, added two more hrs, saved to two empty slots and then reloaded them to check - they worked fine. That was this afternoon. Tonight, those two are corrupted. :roll: (Before anyone says it, it was not a sanity effect - this was just trying to load my game save after turning the system on.)

I checked with my buddy, Google, and he told me that there has been a lot of talk about this problem - he even told me that there were some threads on CAG about it.

Now, I'm debating what my next step should be. Obviously, I'm going to have to get a new mem card. But, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck or have heard about any workarounds for at least getting the game saves off. By this, I mean things such as:

-Trying the card and game in a GameCube, as opposed to the Wii.
-Cooling down the system and card and trying again later.
-Getting another mem card and trying to copy the corrupted data over and loading it from the new card.

So, I'm going back to my practice of always taking the card out. And finally, fuck you Nintendo for not allowing GC game saves to be backed up to my SD card.

hmm.. sorry to hear about that. i would like to know too. i bought an extra 1019 mem card in the twilight of the GC's life but have yet to open it.

Wow. I did not know of such a problem :whistle2:k

Very interesting. I had my 1019 in my Wii for a while. Never had a problem.

From what I have heard the problem is with having the GC memory card in there while the wii is in wiiconnect24 mode, so that when you turn it "off" it's actually still on...

[quote name='tsmvengy']From what I have heard the problem is with having the GC memory card in there while the wii is in wiiconnect24 mode, so that when you turn it "off" it's actually still on...[/quote]

This is what I've heard as well.

[quote name='tsmvengy']From what I have heard the problem is with having the GC memory card in there while the wii is in wiiconnect24 mode, so that when you turn it "off" it's actually still on...[/quote]

Yeah, that what my research seems to indicate. Nintendo doesn't seem to have an answer either, but signs point to over heating and f'ing up the card. (Even in WiiConnect24 mode, it is still pretty warm.) It also looks like 1019s (first and third party) are more inclined to failing.

I went ahead and "bought" a GC last night from Gamestop last night (I had a a $25 giftcard burning a hole in my pocket and wanted another controller anyway). I wanted to isolate the issue. I cooled my card, played ED for about an hour and saved to all the slots allowed. The two that had been worked still did, but the others were fubar. I'll probably try to get my hands on a new mem card today, save my game to it so I can format the corrupt one. I'm curious if a reformat will work, or if the card is completely screwed.

I'll probably turn off WC24. But, I'm weird and I like to email my Wii because I like it flashing blue when not in use. I guess I'll have to get over that...

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Yeah, that what my research seems to indicate. Nintendo doesn't seem to have an answer either, but signs point to over heating and f'ing up the card. (Even in WiiConnect24 mode, it is still pretty warm.) It also looks like 1019s (first and third party) are more inclined to failing.

I went ahead and "bought" a GC last night from Gamestop last night (I had a a $25 giftcard burning a hole in my pocket and wanted another controller anyway). I wanted to isolate the issue. I cooled my card, played ED for about an hour and saved to all the slots allowed. The two that had been worked still did, but the others were fubar. I'll probably try to get my hands on a new mem card today, save my game to it so I can format the corrupt one. I'm curious if a reformat will work, or if the card is completely screwed.

I'll probably turn off WC24. But, I'm weird and I like to email my Wii because I like it flashing blue when not in use. I guess I'll have to get over that...[/QUOTE]

I have WC24 on, but standy mode off. It keeps the system from overheating and should allow you to take the GC memory card out when the system is off because the light on the Wii will be red, not orange (indicating standby).

I agree that this 1019 issue has been widely reported, and not to throw another wrench in the ointment, but has anyone considered the possibility that there may be a problem with Eternal Darkness?

Years ago when I bought Eternal Darkness, I was using a Mad Catz (or some other 3rd party) memory card on my GC. I went with it at the time I bought the GC due to its significantly larger storage capacity than what Nintendo offered. I got just shy of two-thirds through the game when my game save file got corrupted. Fortunatey, I had multiple save files on the card and was able to load in an earlier one. I played back through to my original save point and conitinued playing and saving from there. All was well, or so I thought, until it happened again. In frustration, I pitched the Mad Catz card and tracked down a new (at the time) 1019. I started the game over and played it through to completion on the 1019. In fact, I still have the game and the save file, and revisited it not that long ago on my Wii.

As I said up top, there are too many reports about 1019 memory cards and the Wii for there not be something there, IMO. But in this particular instance, I am not 100% convinced that there isn't a bug in the game that might be contributing to the problem as well.

my wii corrupted my gc memory card, it was a nyko 64mb card, I had left it in- maybe the heat got it, i don't know, this was back near launch.
It was sad seeing the entire history of my cube gaming gone in a flash, especially my fire emblem data I wanted to import. I did have an Eternal Darkness save on the card, but it wasn't one of the games I was playing at the time.

I'm a little freaked out now, Going to check my ED save file

*EDIT*

Whew, works. I've played through twice, want to at least once more

I still use my 251 memory. I guess nothing happened to my saves. I probably should use the animal crossing memory card for extra space.

bread's done
Back