Wii Are Screwed

GuitarHero SG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
After i watched the Nintendo Press Conference, I relized something. Nintendo fans such as myself who have grown up with the franchises we know and love...are completely screwed.

Nintendo is starting to get big headed. There console is off to a great start and is capturing that mainstream audience, so of course they continue to follow this path...and completely forget about the hardcore gamers. Sure Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart are there..But thats all i saw. Everything else was aimed at the mainstream audience. Especially Wii Fit. Im a gamer, and i paid for my game consoles to play games, not get "fit" Wii style. I have a gym membership for that. But of course, the Wii and Wii Fit will be all over every morning show and talk show in America. Every mother and grandmother who has a overweight child will buy a Wii.
Like I said, great strategy on Nintendo's part, Financial of course. But the hardcore gamers get those few titles, and then what. Will it be like the gamecube, with 1 title from every franchise then nothing til the next console(2 for metroid). Does Nintendo think that will hold us over til the next console. Of course they do. But we know the answers is no. There not admiting that they are forgeting the hardcore audience. But we know they are, and lets face it, we had a great run of 20 years.
doh2.gif

I don't necessarily think that's true. Think back to when we were kids growing up with Nintendo. The majority of us had our games library limited to our parents' wallets, not our own. On top of which, a small handful of games could hold us over for years back then.

Now we've grown up and become spoiled on the realities of our own gaming bank, expecting more and more from a company who at the same time we applaud for holding true to their traditional ideals. Then when they DO branch out, we feel left out of the equation.

I don't feel that way about it. I believe Nintendo is sharing OUR world, the world we grew up with, with a wider range of people, and giving the next generation of gamers something some of us never had:

The ability to share their growing heritage with their parents and opponents worldwide.

~HotShotX

[quote name='The Crotch']...

Who wants to copy and paste the arguments from the E3 thread?[/quote]
ow sorry man. I thought this was uncharted territory. Didnt mean to bring up something already said. :oops:

[quote name='GuitarHero SG']After i watched the Nintendo Press Conference, I relized something. Nintendo fans such as myself who have grown up with the franchises we know and love...are completely screwed.

Nintendo is starting to get big headed. There console is off to a great start and is capturing that mainstream audience, so of course they continue to follow this path...and completely forget about the hardcore gamers. Sure Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart are there..But thats all i saw. Everything else was aimed at the mainstream audience. Especially Wii Fit. Im a gamer, and i paid for my game consoles to play games, not get "fit" Wii style. I have a gym membership for that. But of course, the Wii and Wii Fit will be all over every morning show and talk show in America. Every mother and grandmother who has a overweight child will buy a Wii.
Like I said, great strategy on Nintendo's part, Financial of course. But the hardcore gamers get those few titles, and then what. Will it be like the gamecube, with 1 title from every franchise then nothing til the next console(2 for metroid). Does Nintendo think that will hold us over til the next console. Of course they do. But we know the answers is no. There not admiting that they are forgeting the hardcore audience. But we know they are, and lets face it, we had a great run of 20 years.
doh2.gif
[/QUOTE]

What's the problem now? Are 5 A-list titles within almost a year of launch not enough? Jesus.

Hot mainstream titles allow the possibility for niche titles on the same system. Look at the PS2, for instance. A lot of great games that would never have made it to the GameCube simply because of audience share.

Look folks, just because you own a Wii doesn't mean you're contractually obligated to purchase Wii Fit. If the game doesn't interest you, look forward to other titles.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with their offerings and freaked out by the Wii cult commercials during their conference, but we're not screwed...

If Wii are screwed because the Wii might end up like thte GC then Wii were screwed a long time ago.

Plus I don't buy the notion that having a Gym Membership negates Wii Fit. It's still a game. Owning a tennis racket and baseball bat doesn't mean I don't enjoy Wii sports.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Point to a period of a more aggressive first party core push in the history of the company.[/quote]

QFT. The complaining is mind-boggling.

[quote name='usickenme']If Wii are screwed because the Wii might end up like thte GC then Wii were screwed a long time ago.

Plus I don't buy the notion that having a Gym Membership negates Wii Fit. It's still a game. Owning a tennis racket and baseball bat doesn't mean I don't enjoy Wii sports.[/QUOTE]

no kidding. and everyone knows step aerobics do jack schittt.

yea. 5 hits this year. wahoo.
but you got to remember the gamcube and how they only released one of each franchise. 2 for metroid. What are we to look foward to once they reel us in with these games and then slow down to like 1 or 2 a year, if that. and if third party goes crazy, which it will. the games they make will be aimed at the mainstream audience. yea, more motion control and party games.

Why are so many people so narrow-minded that they can't see a use for the wiifit pad other than fitness titles?

Also, I'm quite excited about the titles coming this year, and Nintendo isn't the only company releasing games. I'm stoked for Manhunt 2 if they don't cut the shit out of it before release.

If you can accurately define "hardcore gamers", I'll believe what you posted.
[quote name='GuitarHero SG']and completely forget about the hardcore gamers.[/quote]

In that case, you are complaining a bit too early. Wait till that slowdown and you already being through with all the upcoming games actually happens.

Nintendo's press conference was fucking terrible, but they have IMO, the best lineup this fall...

but Wii Fit is still stupid.

[quote name='Chacrana']Nintendo's press conference was fucking terrible, but they have IMO, the best lineup this fall...

but Wii Fit is still stupid.[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up best. The press conference WAS terrible..but it wasn't made for me or you. It was made for a more casual crowd so they could cream their jeans over a balance board.

When you look past that stuff, you see 3 games almost guaranteed to be solid (Metroid, Smash Bros and Mario). You can't think wii are screwed right now.

However, if you want to look into '08 and speculate that it won't come close to matching the next couple months, go right ahead.

Basing the next 6 months to a year on their press conference, yes, we are all doomed. But all you have to do is look at the press release following the conference to see the ridiculous number of games they have out before the end of the year to at least put off this worry for another year.

I will be surprised if we don't see a bunch of games announced over the next 6 months for the Wii going forward. All word is that developers are being asked to make 2 or 3 Wii titles versus 1 PS3 game.(can't find link,I think it was 1up, or http://www.gamesindustry.biz/ )

Eitherway, I am waiting till this fall before I start worrying or complaining about the lack of titles coming for the Wii, because I am fairly set for the rest of the year.

We are definitely not screwed. And like it was said before, look at the release list that was grabbed from Nintendo's press site - there are some pretty damn interesting games there that are set to release this year.

This is going to be a fucking strong six months. We have large guns out already, and and when this is only the first freaking year for the console.

Next person I see whining about "Nintendo is forgetting the hardcore gamer" bullshit, heads are gonna roll. I can't be the only one tired of this.

Nintendo released a bunch of it's A titles this year. If you are worried about a slow down from them, yes, it could happen. However, by that time, third party developers who weren't sure what to make of the Wii and didn't jump onboard right away should have caught up. Developers can't just ignore how fast the damned thing is selling.

The amount of third party games will be great for the wii. so its not goin to be like the gamecube in that perspective. But will they put time into these games that the mainstream audience will buy. But will these be games that we actually like. Because if your aiming at a were the money is at..which is the mainstream audience, wouldnt you want to make more of the same crap nintendo is pulling!! All motion control and easy to get into..PARTY GAMES!!
And because its the mainstream audience that thinks the motion control is amazing, they will buy it. So really 3rd party support is worthless in this situation. OW..and what third party game has been good so far. The answers very few..
magnifingglass.png

CAN YOU DIG ITT?

If you don't like the lineup, and you don't have faith in what Nintendo was/is doing, then why did you get a Wii in the first place?

People have already said it, but the fall lineup is going to be epic. EPIC, sir. Letting Wii Fit fog your vision isn't exactly a smart move. Sure, Nintendo tends to slowly release its gems, but they're still great. And with all the attention that they got at E3 (whether it be negative or not), that means that people are going to want to get a Wii and TRY those so-called "games for the hardcore gamer."

But if you still don't that Nintendo doesn't know what theyre doing, then you can at least relenquish your system to somebody who does.

I bought the wii first day it was out. I reserved it before e3. when all we knew it had was motion sensored. then when they showed the nuchuck and what it would do at e3 2006. it looked amazing so everyone else hopped on board. That is of course because that was single-handedly the best e3 ever. Nintendo made you change your mind about next gen gaming. it actually made you say hol crap. thats a console...for 250 bucks. they show off fps's and of course their games. the website said all the fps's were crap. I said impossible. How could they not be fun with those controls??
shamebag1.jpg
boyy was I wrong. At that e3 I actually thought the wii might be hardcore. Im mean its pretty hardcore to control a gun with motion control. guess not

Frankly I thought the same and then I realized that Nintendo doesn't really make new franchises anymore anyways.

The will release their main franchises within 18 months of a system launch, what else do you want? Nintendo's "new" franchises on the Gamecube were not much, except that mini robot game, that was nice. They were all Mario sport games, or Mario ripoffs besides Wars and Animal Crossing, both which were just brought over from Japan from the previous generation.

[quote name='GuitarHero SG']The amount of third party games will be great for the wii. so its not goin to be like the gamecube in that perspective. But will they put time into these games that the mainstream audience will buy. But will these be games that we actually like. Because if your aiming at a were the money is at..which is the mainstream audience, wouldnt you want to make more of the same crap nintendo is pulling!! All motion control and easy to get into..PARTY GAMES!![/QUOTE]

The Wii will get a crapload of sub-par licensed games, ports, knock-offs, etc... All the stuff that the PS2 got last gen. But along with that will come some great games (like the PS2 also had). I'd much rather have that situation than not.

And we still have a lot of Nintendo franchises to come, which could fill out the big Nintendo releases for next year and maybe the year after: Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Chibi Robo, Kirby, perhaps a new Donkey Kong Country, etc... Yes, all rehashes of previous stuff, but that seems to be OK with you (it is with me to be sure). Hopefully they'll also come up with some new stuff, but I wouldn't expect that the first year anyway - they are sticking to proven franchises for now and that's OK.

[quote name='GuitarHero SG']After i watched the Nintendo Press Conference, I relized something. Nintendo fans such as myself who have grown up with the franchises we know and love...are completely screwed.

doh2.gif
[/quote]

So it took you three systems (N64, GC, Wii) to realize this????

Nintendo is the only company to actually make money on their system and it's because the wii doesn't require high end graphics. The trade of is the wii will can't compete directly in "hardcore" areas like sports and shooters where graphics sell.

Between August and March we're getting a true successor to Mario 64, a Metroid, a Super Smash Brothers, and a Mario Kart (Zelda too if you count the DS version). Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the hardcore gamer at all.
Plus, we have no idea what they have in store for 2008 and beyond. I'm sure a new Zelda is in development for the Wii. I also wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some other Nintendo franchises come out on the Wii in 2008 (like F Zero, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, etc) and I'm sure Nintendo has a few new IPs in store for us, like Disaster, and an RPG from Monolith.

[quote name='Tebunker']I will be surprised if we don't see a bunch of games announced over the next 6 months for the Wii going forward. All word is that developers are being asked to make 2 or 3 Wii titles versus 1 PS3 game.(can't find link,I think it was 1up, or http://www.gamesindustry.biz/ )
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Or at least I hope. The 2007 lineup doesn't have me very excited beyond Metroid and Mario Galaxy.

But the DS similarly sucked the first year, picked up a bit around it's 1 year mark and just accelerated from there. Hopefully the Wii will see the same.

That said, I'm definitely picking up a 360 as soon as the price drops as I don't have enough confidence that the Wii will produce enough games to satisfy me as my only next gen console. That and I want some nice HD graphics on my new HDTV.

Nintendo is not forgetting about the hardcore gamers. Ok, Robert Summa described it best when he was on Epileptic Gaming. It's a pyramid. Nintendo is starting at the bottom and working their way up to the hardcore gamers, while the other companies are starting at the top with hardcore gamers and making their way down to the casual gamers. That's all.

Also, I've heard that Wii isn't really brining in new gamers based on console sales. Supposedly, The wii is bought by the established gamer and only then is it introduced to the moms, dads, grandpas, grandmas, etc. So, instead of creating gamers ( like that shpiel that sounded so great for the business that they said at the conference ) they are creating wii gamers and taking away from the other companies. This is all speculation though.

My 2007 to buy list so far:

SMG
MP3
Z&W
Ghost Squad
RE:UC
Endless Ocean

With a few more pending

Are Wii screwed? No.

I do agree with you somewhat OP...as a longtime Nintendo fan I was pretty let down by this E3. The lineup is solid but there were no surprises. I think the one thing we need to remember though is...none of this is going to matter because they are out to sell a shit ton of systems. Now if they sell a shit ton just like the PS2, the developers will follow the path to the bucket of cash. So if Wii Fit gets people into the system, so be it. I hope that the Wii follows the path of the DS and after some time we will see some better 3rd party titles. Will it happen? I don't have a fucking crystal ball but that is what I am hoping for at this point. I know I'm going to be playing Nintendo's games.

You know, if you are going to go on and on about "hardcore" gaming, you probably shouldn't name yourself after a casual game like Guitar Hero.

i haven't played the wii in at least 2 months. I am not interested in any more mini or gimmicky games. It concerns me that I'm not really looking forward to any upcoming game besides maybe manhunt 2 whenever that comes out. Recently i tried to play splinter cell and the controls render it unplayable. totally regret buying the system. Anyone share my thoughts?

[quote name='buffdrew84']i haven't played the wii in at least 2 months. I am not interested in any more mini or gimmicky games. It concerns me that I'm not really looking forward to any upcoming game besides maybe manhunt 2 whenever that comes out. Recently i tried to play splinter cell and the controls render it unplayable. totally regret buying the system. Anyone share my thoughts?[/quote]To clarify, you're another of the unfortunate buyers who have no interest in any of Nintendo's first-party offerings, which are what have carried their previous consoles? I can see how you would be less than thrilled with the Wii.

I'm trying to figure out when these people will stop making these tired threads, quit pretending their doomsday predictions are solid fact, and just sell their system and let their eyes glaze over when they point out the "bimp maps" and other shit they don't understand.

I mean what is your excuse at this point? You can probably get MSRP or better if you sold it now, but you're too preoccupied with making "I'VE FIGURED OUT THE SECRET OF THE UNIVERSE!" posts on a damn message board, like you're Nostradamus or something.

5 big titles coming out in the near future. And you want more than that? What the hell man? If they released 10 A+ titles you probably wouldn't even buy them all anyway.

I'm plenty happy with the lineup coming out for the Wii. I look forward to games like WiiFit because they are different. Let me say that again. They are different. And when a game for the Wii works (Wii Sports, Wii Play). They are fun. If you want another tired FPS or MOTS you can find that anywhere.

And if you don't already have one, get a second system...having another library of titles to choose from should help you quit yer bitchin'! :)

I dunno, based on first (or second) party only stuff, I think the Wii is going to have a better Summer/Fall/Holiday than the PS3 or the 360. But, Nintendo's games (yes, the style of games they've made for 20+ years now) tend to be up my alley, so Strikers, Metroid, Mario Galaxy and maybe Smash Bros. have got me pumped.

I'm not really sure what the problem is. Why can't people wrap their minds around the fact that Nintendo is targeting 2 groups of people with one machine? The presence of Wii Fit doesn't cancel out Super Mario. As NSMB proves, there's unending money to be made from "real" games too.

[quote name='Strell']
I mean what is your excuse at this point? You can probably get MSRP or better if you sold it now....[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm dying to play Mario Galaxy, so I'll wait at least until then.

If the future game lineup doesn't have me more excited then, I'll throw it on Craig's list a week or two before X-mas when they'll no doubt be selling for more than they are now when teary eyed moms are desperate to find one for little Johnny.

"Wii are Screwed?" - Speak for yourself.

I've watched all three press conferences, and am more than happy to say that Nintendo's Press Conference is the one that maximizes games that are for ME. Incidentally, PS3 comes in second with a whooping two titles that I would want to play (LittleBigPlanet, Echochrome, other curious ones have not been announced in depth at all). XBOX360 failed to show me even ONE game that I would be interested in. They can take their HALO franchise and shove it - I grew up with PC FPS, and until there'll be an XBOX360 MOUSE (three buttons, mind you) count me out.

Nintendo, however, is owning me with the new Phantom Hourglass, Super Mario Galaxy, amazing looking new Metroid that appears to be better than the first two, Zack&Wiki, countless amounts of new adventure games made for the Nintendo DS (From MYST to Tugunska) and considering that TellTale games have secured Wii development, and Revolution Games (Broken Sword Series) have been trying to secure a NDS Development Kit for a while, it seems that puzzle-related adventure gameplay will be represented on Nintendo platforms.

That is: exclusively.

If that screws you, sorry, but know that Nintendo have signlehandedly declared the adventure genre to be alive and well. And considering the consistent announcement after announcement (fuckin' BULLY is coming for the Wii -and- RockStar Tennis) of new 3rd party development, I consider you to be paranoid, ignorant, and a drama queen. If you can not handle a bonus peripheral for working out on a system that is already a celebrated home to Zelda and Samus, I suggest you go get a PS3 right now. Because that one is ALL COOL ALL THE TIME.

i think that the conference was designed to please the press and casual gamers. but that is just the conference. in reality, the wii is still going to come out with great games.

by the end of the year i'll own strikers, metroid prime, galaxy, and brawl. i'll also be looking into batallion wars, mercury meltdown, zack and wiki, and nights.

and from what we've heard, there is going to be a ton of games coming out next year as well.

[quote name='buttle']i think that the conference was designed to please the press and casual gamers. but that is just the conference. [/QUOTE]

I agree with that. The main problem is that the new E3 is a pretty pointless event. It's not the grand stage to announce new games anymore.

All three companies had terrible E3's with none of them showing anything NEW that excited me, which is in stark contrast to the old E3's.

Some people are over-reacting and assuming that nothing new is coming worth playing, when they should just be dissapointed that E3 was such a fucking pointless farce as far as us gamers are concerned.

[quote name='MarioColbert']"Wii are Screwed?" - Speak for yourself.[/quote]
^^^ Yeah. What he said. I don't see Nintendo fans...certainly not myself...screwed in any way in the near future. We'll have to wait to see how 2008 turns out, but right now, damn. We're good to go.

These next 6 months are goin to be amazing. but what im trying to say is after that were do they go. I mean nintendo released one successor for every core game that they with the gamecube(2 more metroid). Once these 6 months pass, what then? Ow, and whoever said they are looking foward to Resident Evil:Umbrella Chronicles and Ghost Squad..well whoa. Those games look like crap..especially with that piece of plastic they call a wii zapper. Wack a mole?,,,Try zap a zombie!!:lol:

Ow. and my gmaertag/cag name is guitarhero sg. Its Guitarhero because this is a gaming community, figuring you would be familar with that name and SG because I play an Epiphone SG 62'. coincidently this is also the guitar they modeled the GH controller after. So it can be taken both ways.

[quote name='GuitarHero SG']These next 6 months are goin to be amazing. but what im trying to say is after that were do they go. [/QUOTE]

Pikmin?
F-Zero?
Kid Icarus?
Punch-Out?
Kirby?
Earthbound (though very doubtful)?
Third parties rev up their production?
Potential usage with the WiiBoard (which I even personally doubt but you never know)?
New titles?

Do some of you people honestly think there's nothing post-Mario and Zelda? I feel bad for you. That's like saying there's nothing post Halo 3 and MGS4.

People like Rockstar and Tecmo are coming on board for fuck's sake. That alone screams out that the Wii can't possibly be another Gamecube. How much longer do you think people like Konami are going to ignore that 50 car gravy train?

[quote name='Strell']That's like saying there's nothing post Halo 3 and MGS4.[/QUOTE]Halo 4 and MGS5, presumably. ;)

[quote name='MisterHand']Halo 4 and MGS5, presumably. ;)[/QUOTE]

Not according to the OP. Those companies just die, like Zoidberg's people after the great Matapalooza, or Frenzy, or whatever the hell it was called.

I'm constantly amazed at how people ignore the business side of this.

Mr. Hard-core gamer will only benefit from titles like Wii Fit. Why?

All that press coverage to sell Wii Fit will get the consoles and the titles into homes. The more consoles that are in homes the greater potential audience that a game developer has to sell to.

Now if I'm developing a hard-core game, who is more appealling?

Xbox 360 with an audience of 15 million?
Wii with an audience of 12 million?
PS3 with an audience of 6 million?

(Disclaimer, completely made-up numbers, take your arguments elsewhere for the console war, i'm simply making a point).

The gamecube was not a 3rd party success largely because it could be ignored. The Wii cannot be ignored by anyone who is looking to sell games.

bread's done
Back