Wii Cord Free Wireless Adaptor for Wii Nunchuk Controller $7.99 NEW at Gamestop YMMV

lukewin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Like the title states, Wii Cord Free Wireless Adaptor for Wii Nunchuk Controller $7.99 NEW at Gamestop YMMV. It is the one by Nyko. Here is the link from gamestop.com. It should also show up on the Store Locator, if you want to use that. http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69079 I picked it up in store, the sticker says the price dropped on the 16th. I'm gonna get the 3 that I bought earlier for $10 price adjusted. These use 2 AAA batteries (included) and have gotten good reviews. I've seen these used in store for $24.99, marked as wireless nunchuks.

A hyphen between Cord and Free would be good.... I arrived here disappointed...

Still a great price though, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lyric706']Anyone post any impressions on this? I'm interested, but what are the potential disadvantages?[/quote]

I picked this up day one. It works pretty well and I haven't really had a problem with the sensors being bad or anything. Once your batteries start dying, then the signal might be off. Nothing out of the ordinary for any wireless transmitting device running on batteries.

Having a base might feel weird at first but it's not too hard to get used to. It's pretty awesome to be able to put down the nunchuck without worrying about the cord during a cutscene or while reading some on screen stuff. And it's nice to be able to stand it on a coffee table without the cord clutter.

Two complaints:

1. The part that goes into the bottom of the Wii remote seems a little loose. It's never fallen out or come loose, even when me and my cousins had all-out Wii boxing matches. Not sure if it's just the one I have or if all of them are like that.

2. Power button and syncing can be a little annoying. Randomly it doesn't sync up, trying to do it both with the system on or off. Minor annoyance. More annoying is that the power button doesn't always work for me. I have to pop the batteries out and put them back in to turn it off sometimes.

These might just be specific to me. I'm curious to see if anyone else has encountered the same issues. But overall, the responsiveness is what matters. It's really good and I'd recommend it even at its original price.

Great deal - thank you! I'm hoping Amazon will drop their price as well. I have credit at both places but my closest Gamestop is kind of far away whereas Amazon will leave it at my house...

I thought about getting this for a bit, but when the Wii MotionPlus comes out, this could get really awkward having two items plugged into the bottom of the Wiimote. I don't know how many games will make use of the MotionPlus addon, but just something that crossed my mind.

Already recently mentioned, but it was also in the last thread with these on sale. Why would you invest in these with the MotionPlus coming out unless you just want to have to re-buy later. The consensus previously was that there is no way this will be compatible.

[quote name='turls']Already recently mentioned, but it was also in the last thread with these on sale. Why would you invest in these with the MotionPlus coming out unless you just want to have to re-buy later. The consensus previously was that there is no way this will be compatible.[/quote]

Well, when you buy MotionPlus, it will only be forward-compatible with games made to use it. For playing the Wii library prior to its release, this wireless nunchuck could be desirable.

I bought 4 of these last month on Amazon for $39.96 out the door; two for me, and two for the mom-in-law. They work really great, and haven't had any issues with games. Though, some people said there are some compatibility issues with some games, but I haven't experienced anything like that.

My biggest complaints are:
* No straps. Though, if you have extras, you can easily add them.
* Documentation is horrible even though it looks "pretty". For example, you should follow the directions backwards to get the best fit; e.g., plug in first, and then wrap around.

Otherwise, these are excellent and highly recommended!!

I bought 2 of these the other day and they're pretty good. I played a bit of Mario Galaxy and everything played and felt fine.

Good deal for $8 and far better then spending $30 for a wireless nunchuck.

One of the best features is that the place where the Nunchuck cord goes acts as a stand. Now I can keep these next to my Wii and not have a mess of cords everywhere.

[quote name='hollowfreak']These have dropped to $5.99 now. I picked one up, it works well but feels a little weird. It's very bottom heavy and doesn't feel very balanced but I'm sure I'll get used to it ... well you know if I ever find a reason to use my Wii regularly.
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69079[/quote]

I'll agree that they're not too bad. There is only one major complaint I had that may just be my own isolated incident in Resident Evil 4. Whenever I used this, no matter how long I played, at some point Leon decided he wanted to look at the ground and constantly swipe with his knife. It was obviously something that happened because of the adapter, because, after using it 4 or so times and having this happen every time, I went to the usual connection, and the game ran fine.

So it seems to be good, and perhaps it's an issue with that one game, or an issue with ME with that one game, but it's overall pretty nice to have. It certainly lets me relax a bit more as it gives a lot more freedom of movement.

[quote name='typeRJ']Two complaints:

1. The part that goes into the bottom of the Wii remote seems a little loose. It's never fallen out or come loose, even when me and my cousins had all-out Wii boxing matches. Not sure if it's just the one I have or if all of them are like that.

2. Power button and syncing can be a little annoying. Randomly it doesn't sync up, trying to do it both with the system on or off. Minor annoyance. More annoying is that the power button doesn't always work for me. I have to pop the batteries out and put them back in to turn it off sometimes.

These might just be specific to me. I'm curious to see if anyone else has encountered the same issues. But overall, the responsiveness is what matters. It's really good and I'd recommend it even at its original price.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 for about 3 months now....

1) It is loose, but has never, ever fallen off, and it could be an issue if users are taking it off and on 10000s a day.. but it should stick.

2)I find that turn on the nunchuck, then replug the adapter in works 99% of the time. The nunchuck may have an issue if one doesn't use/move going to sleep... so warning on those "light nunchuck" games.

[quote name='Quadriflax']I thought about getting this for a bit, but when the Wii MotionPlus comes out, this could get really awkward having two items plugged into the bottom of the Wiimote. I don't know how many games will make use of the MotionPlus addon, but just something that crossed my mind.[/QUOTE]

Yep.. maybe why it's so cheap now, there will probably be a new device compatible and these are clearencing out.

I enjoy them and having more than 1 can be confusing, they should come in different colors or some way to mark, so far I just have a notch in the battery panel. I may just put a label to make sure people pick the right one up.

[quote name='Nirron']I'll agree that they're not too bad. There is only one major complaint I had that may just be my own isolated incident in Resident Evil 4. Whenever I used this, no matter how long I played, at some point Leon decided he wanted to look at the ground and constantly swipe with his knife. It was obviously something that happened because of the adapter, because, after using it 4 or so times and having this happen every time, I went to the usual connection, and the game ran fine.

So it seems to be good, and perhaps it's an issue with that one game, or an issue with ME with that one game, but it's overall pretty nice to have. It certainly lets me relax a bit more as it gives a lot more freedom of movement.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get this to happen, I only played for an hour or so last night but it was flawless. On the other hand after playing with this a bit longer, and in the dark, I noticed how much the leds flashing on the dongle and the adapter bug the shit outta me. They alternate, one flashes then the other, back and forth continuously. It kinda made me wish the batteries would die already. I might open them up and try to switch them to red leds, like I did in the Wii remote but then again my remote's (and nunchuk) black thanks to a chuckii shell. It might be time to break out the Krylon Fusion. :lol:

I bought one of these when they were first release (for like $20), and while it worked perfectly fine with a few games, I returned it due to poor performance in Pinball Hall of Fame.

In Pinball, there was a very herky-jerky feel to the left flipper, which is controlled by the nunchuk's Z trigger. Not only was there a slight delay in the flipper movement, but it literally looked like it was skipping some frames of animation. Very strange. Made it impossible to play with effectively in that game. I first exchanged for another one, hoping it was a defective unit, but had the exact same issues with the replacement. If I could have been guaranteed that it would work with every other game but that, I would have kept it, but it worried me that this would be the case with other games down the line, so I got rid of it.

That said, it worked perfectly well with some other games, such as SMG. I've been half tempted to get it again, now that it's so cheap, but haven't really felt the need.

I even bought the Kama Wireless nunchuk (also by Nyko) at one point, hoping that would be better, but it was worse, in some respects.
In Metroid Prime 3, every couple of minutes I'd get a "please connect nunchuk" message that flashed for about a second (usually in the middle of a hectic fight) and then restored. Very annoying, and while it didn't necessarily kill me, it definitely detracted from the immersion.

Edit:
Incidentally, I forgot to mention that did experience the exact same issue with Resident Evil 4. Except, for me, it happened as soon as I started to play. Totally forgot about that until I read xycury's post. I can't recall if it was the cordfree adapter or the Kama that did this, though. And those lights are ridiculously bright. I guess there's always electrical tape.

funny, I thought it was just luck that a new GS I went to last week had one of these for $6 and I grabbed it. I had one from the original time this thread was posted and have been really happy with it.

Thanks for the note re: using two. I'll need to make sure I label the pairs somehow.

bread's done
Back