Wii error? Lines down middle of screen

jaso

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
I was playing some Twilight Princess today (Death Mountain area) and noticed that there were a whole bunch of lines running vertically down the middle of my screen. It wasn't unplayable, just annoying. I've only had my Wii a couple of months. I noticed it a little bit in Red Steel, too, but not in Wii Sports. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but I also woke up this morning to find my roommate's brother had left the Wii on for at least overnight, maybe even longer. But he was only playing VC games, no dics. Anyone think this could be a disc error? My games are pristine. I keep them cased.

Gamecube games look fine too. Just Wii games. I saw it doing the same thing in Wii Sports.

all the way down, or just in 'splotches'?
If it's the splotches, I've heard two different things:
one, the unit is overheating, or two, a bad/faulty video card/board thingy.
There's a thread somewhere here with some screenshots and explanations, but I can't recall any keywords.
Anyway, if that's what it is (i have the same problem occasionally), call Nintendo.

[quote name='dtcarson']all the way down, or just in 'splotches'?
If it's the splotches, I've heard two different things:
one, the unit is overheating, or two, a bad/faulty video card/board thingy.
There's a thread somewhere here with some screenshots and explanations, but I can't recall any keywords.
Anyway, if that's what it is (i have the same problem occasionally), call Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Splotches is a good way to describe it. It's sometimes in the middle, sometimes towards the top (Red Steel), but never the full length of the screen, and not always in the same spots.

EDIT: I think I found the thread you're talking about:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133801&highlight=wii+problems

That's exactly what's happening to my system. It makes sense if it's a bad GPU. That would explain why VC games and Cube games look fine. I think.

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have this problem.

Out of curiousity I would like to know when you purchased your Wii, and if it came with the old or new straps.

[quote name='net2']If that is the case, is it caused by overheating or simply a defect?[/QUOTE]

No one really knows, but all signs point to overheating and standby mode.

I just went through the Nintendo repair order process. Looks like its postage paid, so I'm willing to wait a few weeks for a fixed Wii. Hopefully whatever they update will fix the overheating issue, and I won't have to deal with this again. I also signed up for a three-month warranty extension. I feel a little more relieved, but also a little more cautious about the fragility of the Wii's internals. I've never had a system error like this on a system I've owned.

bread's done
Back