Wii Fit to player: You're fat.

Good, I don't mind if we call kids fat. This whole "OMG don't call them fat of they will have an eating disorder" bullshit needs to end. Have you gone to a game store and seen how fat these kids are nowadays? Or walked at the mall? Count the chubby people and vs lean people. People really are out of shape these days.

Actually the BMI as it is used on adults isn't appropriate to use on children. Even the BMI is fucked up really, but thats another story.

It almost seems like Nintendo's giving people the finger by not changing it. I'm happy about that. Fat is a much more direct term than obese, and clearly (at least in the article) sends a clearer message.

[quote name='Chacrana']It almost seems like Nintendo's giving people the finger by not changing it. I'm happy about that. Fat is a much more direct term than obese, and clearly (at least in the article) sends a clearer message.[/quote]

Plus, it might actually motivate those [overweight people] to do something about it.

Pretty sad that someone has to rely on a video game to tell them they're fat and even worse that because a video game call them fat they have to believe it.

Good, Im so sick of fat people getting a pass.

We see no problem telling a smoker, "Put down the cigarette, youre killing yourself!"

But god forbid I tell a fat kid to throw away his McDonalds.

Boo hoo hoo. People need to get the fuck over it.

... I'll admit it oughta be less severe on kids tho, BMI doesn't really transfer so good to minors. But, really, parents should teach their kids not to be devastated cuz a game calls them fat.

[quote name='Nibi']Could be worse. The game could tell you to, "Get the fuck off you're crushing me."[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::whee::lol::lol:

What's worse than the game calling you fat is your mom and dad's subtle and thinly veiled hints that you're getting a little pudgy when they come home with a new video game for you to play.

"Come here, son. We bought you a new game!"
"Thanks, dad! What is it? Smash Brothers? Mario Galaxy? Is it Zelda?"
"Hell no. It's Wii Fit. Now start playing and stop eating, tubby."

Does it tell people if they are too skinny for their size? Would seem flawed if it will tell muscular people they are fat, and anorexic people they are fine.

Do fat people really have that big of a problem with being called fat by a video game? Maybe they should take their 90$ and go get a gym membership instead of playing a fucking video game about losing weight.

[quote name='JJSP']What's worse than the game calling you fat is your mom and dad's subtle and thinly veiled hints that you're getting a little pudgy [/QUOTE]

HANK: It's a different kind of clothing store.
BOBBY: How is it different?
PEGGY: Well, every snowflake is different in its own special, god-given way. Right, Hank?
HANK: Oh, sure. Some are a lot bigger than others.
PEGGY: But that does not make them any less beautiful.
BOBBY: Are you taking me to the vet?

These kids look like they don't like sports.

...This is a fat kid's store. :[

[quote name='wubb']It'll be interesting to see if this blows up or not. Really stupid of Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, once more people get the game I expect it to get more attention

[quote name='underliness']Does it tell people if they are too skinny for their size? Would seem flawed if it will tell muscular people they are fat, and anorexic people they are fine.[/QUOTE]

Article says it uses the terms 'underweight' 'ideal' 'fat'

The BMI uses the term obese I believe and N should have at the worse used the same term.

[quote name='underliness']Does it tell people if they are too skinny for their size? Would seem flawed if it will tell muscular people they are fat, and anorexic people they are fine.[/quote]

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I remember this being posted on gaming blogs last week. You can see the Disney forums where they found the person the quote is probably from:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1816318

The thread was locked after gamers started flooding in, but one mentioned the European manual does say BMI is not accurate for children (and bodybuilders).[/quote]

Of course, the American manual will be dumbed-down to follow suit of what happens when things get released in the States. :whistle2:#

If you don't want to be called fat... don't be fat.
If you're a child, read the manual where it says that BMI isn't correct for kids.
Problem solved.

BMI sucks because if you have a high bodyweight and a low body fat percentage you will be labeled overweight or obese. Just the exclusion of body fat percentage in general makes it suck.

That being said: if you're fat, you're fat. If you're a guy with boobs and a gut , you don't need a damn number to tell you that you're fat, nor should you have it to make you feel like you're healthy.

The article is saying that the problem is that it's telling kids who aren't fat that they're fat (since BMI can't accurately measure children). It seems like 90% of the posts in here missed that completely.

[quote name='SpazX']The article is saying that the problem is that it's telling kids who aren't fat that they're fat (since BMI can't accurately measure children). It seems like 90% of the posts in here missed that completely.[/QUOTE]

I think most people get that.

Probably the same people who have said that the manual explicitly states this.

Well ok, probably not. But still.

I don't get it. I think "fat" is a kinder term than"obese". Obese is what that person who is nothing more than a gelatinous mass is. Fat could be someone who isn't "ripped" because they have a little extra pudge.

Also, to those who are criticizing people who are overweight for their McDonald's habits, not everyone who has weight problems is a giant pig. It's not like smoking at all. You can't smoke unless you pick up a cigarette and light it and stick it in your mouth. But some people have serious problems with weight and can't get rid of it and stay rid of it, no matter what they have tried.

People complain about fat people. What I hate is people with un-naturally high metabolisms who couldn't possibly understand a problem they have never dealt with, yet criticize over it. Or even people who are fit through effort but treat others like crap because of their weight, despite their efforts to do something about it not working.

[quote name='seanr1221']Good, Im so sick of fat people getting a pass.

We see no problem telling a smoker, "Put down the cigarette, youre killing yourself!"

But god forbid I tell a fat kid to throw away his McDonalds.[/QUOTE]

I especially hate fat people that get to park in handicap spots.

I can't wait to get this game so I can be called fat! I just got on the scale yesterday and found out I am like 40 pounds overweight, I then started my exercise training yesterday, I am done with fat! Have fun playing this game all!

Jesus, you guys are bunch of jerks.

I'm sure overweight kids don't here it enough from other kids at school, etc. Yeah, they need to here their frickin' toys call them fat as well.

sheesh.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I don't get it. I think "fat" is a kinder term than"obese". Obese is what that person who is nothing more than a gelatinous mass is. Fat could be someone who isn't "ripped" because they have a little extra pudge.

Also, to those who are criticizing people who are overweight for their McDonald's habits, not everyone who has weight problems is a giant pig. It's not like smoking at all. You can't smoke unless you pick up a cigarette and light it and stick it in your mouth. But some people have serious problems with weight and can't get rid of it and stay rid of it, no matter what they have tried.

People complain about fat people. What I hate is people with un-naturally high metabolisms who couldn't possibly understand a problem they have never dealt with, yet criticize over it. Or even people who are fit through effort but treat others like crap because of their weight, despite their efforts to do something about it not working.[/QUOTE]

:lol: you're way off here.

You try telling a smoker that they don't have a problem, and all they have to do is not put a cigarette up to their mouth. You do realize studies have shown cocaine addictions are easier to break than nicotine addictions correct? This is due in part to cigarette smoking being so cue-oriented.

Furthermore, don't give me that "They can't get rid of it no matter what!" shit. If it was purely genetics, which you're implying, then why is the amount of obese americans on the rise? Yes, sometimes a person can have a thyroid problem. But what sounds more likely to you, the rise of obesity is due to a bunch of thyroid problems, or bigger portions and fattier, cheaper foods?

I have sympathy for those who ACTUALLY try. And I don't mean they order a salad loaded with dressing, I mean they're exercising 30-60 minutes a day and eating a well balanced diet. If they do that, and aren't losing weight, I feel really bad for them. However, I feel NO sympathy for a fat person who eats whatever they want. They ARE killing themselves.

Lastly, I remember reading that barely any fat/obese children are told they are by their doctors. That's sad, because a lot of these weight problems could be squashed from the beginning. Parents can't even blame schools anymore, because a lot are providing lunches that fulfill 1/3 of a child's nutrition for the day.

[quote name='Nibi']Could be worse. The game could tell you to, "Get the fuck off you're crushing me."[/QUOTE]

OMG, get off me, where in the manual does it say walrus' allowed?

WiiFit uses BMI? Its pretty much fact that BMI is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Pretty much all athletes are obese according to BMI.
The responses make me laugh though.

[quote name='Azumangaman']WiiFit uses BMI? Its pretty much fact that BMI is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Pretty much all athletes are obese according to BMI.
The responses make me laugh though.[/QUOTE]

This annoys me too.

Not it is not "pretty much fact" that BMI is ridiculous. It is known that it is not accurate in children and athletes. Someone who has a low BF% KNOWS this.

[quote name='seanr1221']This annoys me too.

Not it is not "pretty much fact" that BMI is ridiculous. It is known that it is not accurate in children and athletes. Someone who has a low BF% KNOWS this.[/quote]
Truth, but it tends to work a lot of kids up (this I know) and they go like 'OMG NOOOOOOO IM OBESE' and its really stupid.
You would think that people could just look in the mirror/go to a doctor to find out their health status. But there are stupid people (I know a 5 foot 7 kid, 250 pound, 15 year old who is easily obese and beyond but he thinks he's healthy).
fucked up world today.

[quote name='doc_zaius']Jesus, you guys are bunch of jerks.

I'm sure overweight kids don't here it enough from other kids at school, etc. Yeah, they need to here their frickin' toys call them fat as well.

sheesh.[/quote]

Because god forbid they actually get off their asses and do something about it. If they want to buy a game involving health and excersize, they need to be prepaired to be told the truth.

"I'm 15 and I have man tits, but I certainly am not fat!"

bread's done
Back