Wii Freeloader Released

ratzombie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Who knows if it works though, can't find anything on it. I found out about it from Jeff Gerstmann's blog of all things.

I went ahead and ordered one, came to $27.34. Kind of steep, but I've been dying to play some Wii Eyeshield.

I've been wanting to play that Eyeshield 21 game as well. Really enjoyed the DS version and I thought this one looked pretty awesome. Assuming you'll be able to play it, I'd like to know how it is.

I've played Eyeshield briefly. This video describes it better than I can.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4F0U2qFDc[/media]

Aren't they beginning to implement updates with new triple-A titles? (Isn't that what the most recent update said would happen?) I figure we will see one with Brawl, Mario Kart, etc.

I'd like one, but I will wait until we see how long it takes for Nintendo to block them.

Now let's all laugh at everyone who spent over $400 importing a Japanese Wii and Brawl when they could have waited and bought the Free Loader and Brawl for maybe around $70.

[quote name='Rig']Aren't they beginning to implement updates with new triple-A titles? (Isn't that what the most recent update said would happen?) I figure we will see one with Brawl, Mario Kart, etc.

I'd like one, but I will wait until we see how long it takes for Nintendo to block them.[/QUOTE]
I have a theory that the 3.2 update that just came out is also on the Brawl disc. I think the purpose of putting them on the discs are for people without internet connection. The Brawl update in particular probably added Dual Layer disc support as Brawl is the first DL game.

[quote name='Rig']Aren't they beginning to implement updates with new triple-A titles? (Isn't that what the most recent update said would happen?) I figure we will see one with Brawl, Mario Kart, etc.

I'd like one, but I will wait until we see how long it takes for Nintendo to block them.[/quote]

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

As far as I can tell Nintendo never really forces updates on you.

[quote name='yukine']I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

As far as I can tell Nintendo never really forces updates on you.[/QUOTE]
If the game has an update, you have to have at least that same firmware level to play it. Say you're at 3.2 now and Mario Kart has 3.3 firmware update on the disc. I believe what happens is that it ejects the disc if you refuse the update.

Well as long as 3.2 works for Brawl then I'll be set for a while, not really any other games coming out that I'd need to play right away.

I'll at least get my money's worth for that period of time. And it might take Nintendo a while to patch it anyway.

It's a shame Nintendo couldn't of just made it region free.

[quote name='yukine']I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

As far as I can tell Nintendo never really forces updates on you.[/quote]

Didn't Galaxy force an update as soon as you started it?

This is idiotic. Why can't they look the other way? They made the Japanese GC able to be modded easily to play imports and the 64 wasn't that difficult to do either.
If they're trying to block the Freeloader why doesn't Nintendo just admit they hate importers and be done with it? Call us scum. I was really looking forward to this but after hearing everyone's comments I might just say "fuck it." and buy a Japanese Wii.
At least for one I know I won't get a DDR with shitty songs starting off and I'll get cheaper stuff too. I think at least one game I know of is like $24.90 for the Japanese version on PA.

[quote name='Sarang01']This is idiotic. Why can't they look the other way? They made the Japanese GC able to be modded easily to play imports and the 64 wasn't that difficult to do either.
If they're trying to block the Freeloader why doesn't Nintendo just admit they hate importers and be done with it? Call us scum. I was really looking forward to this but after hearing everyone's comments I might just say "fuck it." and buy a Japanese Wii.
At least for one I know I won't get a DDR with shitty songs starting off and I'll get cheaper stuff too. I think at least one game I know of is like $24.90 for the Japanese version on PA.[/QUOTE]
the gamecube doesnt have upgradeable firmware. Sony is the only one open about import

This whole thing is pretty idiotic. I think it reveals some of the different corporate mindsets between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, which is an interesting study.

I understand the issues behind all of this, but why has Nintendo always made their handhelds, in a lot of ways the bigger part of their business, region free while their consoles are locked down?

I'm not that crazy about imports, so this is basically my only option as I don't want to own a Japanese Wii just to play a handful of games.

While region locking is dumb to begin with, if this thing works - even in the midst of upgradable firmware potentially causing issues - then that is awesome and is the best solution to meet the small but fervent import crowd.

I might have to pick one up just for the sake of it.

At this point the only way to really play imports is with a mod chip, which is fairly cheap if you have a launch system. They come with updates as well. There is also the recent code hack thing which could eventually open doors for a soft mod that allows you to play imports.

I want to play the latest Naruto game badly enough to order this, but i'm well aware that Nintendo will break this first chance they get, so guess I won't be updating anytime soon

[quote name='Sarang01']I was really looking forward to this but after hearing everyone's comments I might just say "fuck it." and buy a Japanese Wii.
[/quote]

You know... It really is the cleanest solution, even if not very cheapass. I ended up doing that for the Dreamcast, and the PS1.

Apparently they think firmware updates arent going to be a problem:

Dear Customer

Further to your email we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Regards

I guess I'll sell it at some point. I'll think about it again in a few weeks. I was hoping to avoid having to buy a copy of U.S. Smash and win a copy somewhere soon after launch.

[quote name='Tsukento']Now let's all laugh at everyone who spent over $400 importing a Japanese Wii and Brawl when they could have waited and bought the Free Loader and Brawl for maybe around $70.[/quote]

That is so a month ago. I am betting most would do it again just for that one month. Not to mention Brawl is practically here now, and getting a freeloader now is retarded.

[quote name='help1']That is so a month ago. I am betting most would do it again just for that one month. Not to mention Brawl is practically here now, and getting a freeloader now is retarded.[/quote]Brawl isn't the only import ever made.

well, even if I only got to use 2 or 3 games before it is gone, It would probably be worth it. How much is it? 20+? thats worth the risk

[quote name='seanr1221']Why is this Eyeshield game NOT in America!? :drool:[/QUOTE]

because the anime isnt license in american

I can still dont see how they can get over the nintendo update. I mean with a few update nintendo blocked the gamecube freeloader.

[quote name='62t']because the anime isnt license in american[/quote]
Actually, it is sorta. It was streamed from Toonami's site in December.

I can still dont see how they can get over the nintendo update. I mean with a few update nintendo blocked the gamecube freeloader.
Well, that's easy. They design the gamecube freeloader for the gamecube not the Wii.

[quote name='coolsteel']I want to play the latest Naruto game badly enough to order this, but i'm well aware that Nintendo will break this first chance they get, so guess I won't be updating anytime soon[/quote]
Does it have the option for English dubs?
or is it completely Japanese? I wanted to pick it up as well.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Does it have the option for English dubs?
or is it completely Japanese? I wanted to pick it up as well.[/quote]
No, only when it is brought over to the US.

It's what, $20? Buy the stupid thing. Play your games, and IF Nintendo some how figures or cares to block it then worry about it. To miss out on games because something MAY happen down the road is logic I never understood. I'm picking one of these up.

[quote name='spydey']It's what, $20? Buy the stupid thing. Play your games, and IF Nintendo some how figures or cares to block it then worry about it. To miss out on games because something MAY happen down the road is logic I never understood. I'm picking one of these up.[/quote]
Right, tell people to spend $20 on this than another $65 on a relatively new import game that they may only be able to play for another few weeks and potentially waste $85 in the process. We have to be crazy for being hesitant to spend the money right away.

This may sound stupid but doesn't a freeloader damage the wii' laser? I really don't want to damage my wii.

But are there still people who play with their gamecube freeloader's and haven't had a problem or system's laser die out?

[quote name='rocky435']This may sound stupid but doesn't a freeloader damage the wii' laser? I really don't want to damage my wii.

But are there still people who play with their gamecube freeloader's and haven't had a problem or system's laser die out?[/quote]

I wouldn't see how they would be damaging the laser, as they really aren't doing anything to it.

And I used my GC Freeloader for quite a long time, never having an issue.

Well that's good to know cause I'm considering of getting a freeloader since it's so cheap AND I won't have to crack open my wii to install a mod chip. :applause:

While it would be fun in the long run i might regert it.

Also, I don't think the freeloader can do this but could it somehow "change" the region to Japan to download Japanese channel's or vc games?

Can a mod chip do that connect to the Japanese shop channel?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back