Wii game for kids with special needs/behavioral issues?

MasaTFC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
423 (100%)
So I am a therapist, and the kids I work with love games. Some of them are autistic, some have behavioral issues (oppositional defiant disorder for example). Anyone have any games they would suggest playing with kids of this nature? I am sick of Super Smash Bros, and really want the one kid to play something other than skylanders. Maybe something educational (if that exist).

I know its a long shot, but any advice is welcome. thanks!

My daughter has ODD and most of the time it takes very little to set her off into a full on violent fit, but Mario games seem to calm her really well.

There are a few educational Wii shovelware games that exist. Best Buy had a math game on clearance for $10 a while back. Thought about getting it for my 8yr old but after reading the awful amazon reviews I changed my mind.

What type of behavior are you trying to get the kids to exhibit? Trying to calm them? Trying to get them to problem solve or rationalize things? I'm not familiar with their problems so can't recommend specific games. What about something like Epic Mickey (never played it myself) or other movie/cartoon tie in games that aren't necessarily good but the kids will be able to recognize?

[quote name='hohez']My daughter has ODD and most of the time it takes very little to set her off into a full on violent fit, but Mario games seem to calm her really well.[/QUOTE]

I know that has to be rough for you sometimes. In some cases you can see it build up but other times its like a 0 to 90 MPH with no warning. The ODD kid has Mario Bros and we beat that one. Rayman was good too with him, but he finished it.

[quote name='juubei1i']There are a few educational Wii shovelware games that exist. Best Buy had a math game on clearance for $10 a while back. Thought about getting it for my 8yr old but after reading the awful amazon reviews I changed my mind.

What type of behavior are you trying to get the kids to exhibit? Trying to calm them? Trying to get them to problem solve or rationalize things? I'm not familiar with their problems so can't recommend specific games. What about something like Epic Mickey (never played it myself) or other movie/cartoon tie in games that aren't necessarily good but the kids will be able to recognize?[/QUOTE]

Well, it varies. The one kid has ODD/PTSD and anything that is not violent works good with him (hence why Smash Bros has to stop). Once he is prompted to turn the game off, he tends to be a little more amped up/on edge. But he also gets that way when we play a game and something bad happens to him. So a calming game (not too fast paced but interesting) would work I suppose.

Epic Mickey might be a good game for the autistic kid though. Basically he fixates on one thing (like skylanders or angry birds) and I want him to find joy in other games rather than obsess over just one. He is pretty calm, just gets "stuck" on one thing and its hard to get him onto something else. I know that doesn't sound like such a bad thing, but it has caused problems in providing treatment.

Thank you both, by the way.

Zach and Wiki is a good puzzler so it should teach them how to be creative to solve a problem. The Endless Ocean games are a good way to learn about the creatures of the ocean at their own pace.

I love Zack and Wiki but think those kids would get frustrated. Also remember that you aren't directly controlling Zack and it's just click on a spot for him to walk there.

I think Endless Ocean is a great idea. So is Epic Mickey. I would add deBlob also for a fun colorful game where there's freedom of movement and clear objectives. Driving might also be fun, so Mario Kart of the new Sonic All Stars.

(High Functioning) Asperger's Master race reporting. Some suggestions based off personal experience as a less high functioning kid.

The Legend of Zelda perhaps? Skyward Sword is rated E10+ and i assume it would be pretty fun to slash thing with a sword for kids. Maybe something with depth . . . the deeper one can explore the mechanics of the game , the better (RPGs are pretty mechanic heavy) - i always found those the best when my asperger's was more severe personally. That might be the focus on one thing effect though. I'll add more if i think of any.

A lot of the suggestions here are good, what about the Harvest Moon games or something like Kororinpa or Super Monkey Ball? (Although I think one of the Monkey Ball games on Wii was kind of frustrating from what I remember) Kirby's Epic Yarn is a pretty fun game that can be enjoyable as well.

bread's done
Back