Wii game recommendation for 50-year-old parents?

francium34

CAGiversary!
I'm thinking about buying a Wii for my parents (~50, mom plays small games like tetris or angry birds a lot, dad likes sports and fishing), who are non-native English speakers (they can read it, but takes effort, so as little reading/instructions as possible)

I'm definitely getting Wii sports and sports resort, but really don't know what else

Specifically, are there any other good "collection" of "compilation" of mini games (like Popcap games)?
Any other suggestions are welcome too

Also, my parents aren't really into yoga or weight training, then is Wii fit still worth it?

many thanks

Wii Fit has no weight training. It's all stretches and exercises you can do with just your body, and a set of minigames that will get you sweating. It does feature big swaths of text and audio instructions, though. The board is a big lump of a thing if it turns out they're not into it.

Williams Collection - Pinball? Pretty self-explanatory. So's Mario Kart IMO

I'd recommend Wii Party and Boom Blox Bash Party but I haven't actually played them

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend Wii Party and Boom Blox Bash Party but I haven't actually played them
I've played both and would be great recommendations for that age group, though Wii Party does have a fair amount of text to read, and the Boom Blox series has a lot of repetitive motion, though very minimal reading.

If they are into rhythm games at all, Rhythm Heaven Fever is excellent choice, not much to read, all of the gameplay is musically intuitive (though it can be a bit difficult at times). If your mom likes Tetris, then Tetris Party Deluxe is a no-brainer, they have a ton of modes in that one. I would say Fishing Resort for your Dad (as it's one of the best Wii retail fishing games out there), but I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of reading. Another cheap game you can try is Mercury Meltdown Revolution, only $0.99 used at Gamestop, and very little reading.

There are other mini game compilations out there, but Wii Sports / Resort should be enough to tide them over.

Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Would you recommend De Blob (1 or 2)? I played the first few hours on 360, was pretty impressed with the bright colors. does it get too hard later on? 

I've had a hard time getting any of my older family members to play platformers, except for Mario, and that was only 2D.  For some reason 3D games just lose their interest, but I know the sounds and colors make it interesting enough to make de Blob worth a shot, and they are both pretty cheap.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is a great easy game if they want to gateway into that kind of experience, dying just means you respawn a few frames back instead of having to replay any sections.

If you can find it, Wario Ware Smooth Moves was fun for my wife's parents to the point they picked it up when they bought a Wii.

Hmmm... I just turned 40 and play games all the time, but this thread has me wondering what I'll be into when I'm 50... Bright colors and sounds. (look at those pretty lights on the screen, Dad!  LOL)

Maybe some retro-game collections would take them back to their younger days?

Hmmm... I just turned 40 and play games all the time, but this thread has me wondering what I'll be into when I'm 50... Bright colors and sounds. (look at those pretty lights on the screen, Dad! LOL)

Maybe some retro-game collections would take them back to their younger days?
well, that's the problem. My parents never played much games at all (tetris and recent phone games, that's it)

I'm really more asking "what would be good for people that never played games, and probably wouldn't be interested in anything too challenging?"

So please don't take any offense. :)

this does remind me to pick up a few VC games, since I'll be staying with my parents for a few weeks. We'll see if they can get into those games.

bread's done
Back