Wii Hardware/Accessories Questions Thread

[quote name='iufoltzie']Any word on what’s under the flap on the front of the system? Common sense would dictate that it would probably house the SD slot, but what else?[/quote]

AFAIK that's still secret. The SD slots have got to be there, but there's room for more so I'd guess either more USB ports or perhaps compact flash or other storage (probably not memory sticks though :p).

[quote name='SpazX']AFAIK that's still secret. The SD slots have got to be there, but there's room for more so I'd guess either more USB ports or perhaps compact flash or other storage (probably not memory sticks though :p).[/QUOTE]

Safe call on the Memory Sticks.

Has there been any indication as to what kind of AV connectivity this is going to have out of the box? And if it's component cables, will they be able to do 480p in the gamecube games that support it?

[quote name='A buddy of mine in a neutral tone']I really like the Wii wallpaper, especially the symbolism with the Wiimotes and Sony's balls above them.

They are Sony's balls right? They must be since that's what Nintendo's been slapped around by for the past 12 years.[/QUOTE]Meh

[quote name='DungDude0']Does anyone know what the retail value will be for the Wii?[/QUOTE]

The most we know is that it will cost less than $250 (assuming before tax). What is bundled with the Wii is also an unknown at this time.

[quote name='ksuwild25']Will the Wii be able support gamecube accessories like the gameboy adapter?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, we have not received any kind of confirmation as to whether it will support Gamecube Accessories besides the Wavebird.

I think.

Help please, how muc will the games for the amazing beast cost? According to EB/GS TP will cost $59.99, but I thought I read in some ign.com article that they wont be more than what the 6th generation games costed ($49.99).

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Anyone know what the usb ports are for? Maybe more memory for VC? Ipod support?[/QUOTE]

Most believe it will be mainly utilized for an external hard drive, although I am sure there could be a range of peripherals that use the USB port.

What's the Wii's release price going to be? (Sorry if it's already posted somewhere, haven't really looked into the wii much, but thinking about getting one.)

Not sure if this is the place for this, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I always assumed the power button on the Wiimote was to control the power of the system. I read something the otherday that seemed to indicate that it was to control the power of the remote itself (can't remember where I read it). Can anyone find anything one way or another on this?

[quote name='botticus']Unless there are two power buttons, it'd have to be for the remote.[/quote]

It could have different functionality depending on how it is pressed. e.g. tap for remote power, hold for system power. Of course, this is just speculation.

[quote name='guessed']It could have different functionality depending on how it is pressed. e.g. tap for remote power, hold for system power. Of course, this is just speculation.[/QUOTE]
That's kinda where my mind was going as well. I guess we'll wait and see. ;)

ok so I hear it's going to gamecube backwards compatible. But the last few slot drives I have DO not allow you to use smaller discs. Will we have to use some sort of disc adaptor to play Gamecube games?

[quote name='Zoglog']ok so I hear it's going to gamecube backwards compatible. But the last few slot drives I have DO not allow you to use smaller discs. Will we have to use some sort of disc adaptor to play Gamecube games?[/QUOTE]

I wonder the same thing too. My ibook is slot-loading like the wii and it specifically says not to use small discs.

Also, do you all think wii sports will be coming in a case, or in a plastic baggie thing like metroid prime hunters demo was in? It would be awesome if they gave us a case.

[quote name='magikman']They have said no adapter is necessary. it automatically mounts both size discs.[/QUOTE]

I hope they're correct, but I was pretty sure the fundamental way slots work prevents you from using smaller discs and can cause jamming problems. Lets hope they are right.

Time to ebay that gamecube heh

[quote name='munch']I wonder the same thing too. My ibook is slot-loading like the wii and it specifically says not to use small discs.

Also, do you all think wii sports will be coming in a case, or in a plastic baggie thing like metroid prime hunters demo was in? It would be awesome if they gave us a case.[/quote]I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they've created a slot loading mechanism that allows GC discs and DVDs.

When GameCubes were bundled with games, the games came complete (not-for-resale). I would assume that's how they'll work it in this case.

My apologies if this is covered already, but the Wii isn't going to support real surround sound, right? (Just Dolby Pro Logic)

Found the answer on IGN's FAQ:

"No. Wii does not feature an optical output and therefore no support for the Dolby Digital surround sound standard. Like GameCube, Wii's audio output consists of left/right analog channels that simulate surround sound using the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. Most, if not all Wii games will run in Dolby Pro Logic II. That noted, due to the increased storage capacity of Wii discs and in turn the ability for developers to include less compressed audio files, games on Nintendo's new generation system should sound crisper than those on GameCube."

Well, that sucks.

xbox360_ps3_nintendo_revolution_size_small.jpg

Can anyone else tell me what's wrong with this picture?

[quote name='Morpheus']

Can anyone else tell me what's wrong with this picture?[/QUOTE]

Yes! They've seemed to crop out the pic of my penis which was to the left of the 360

[quote name='phatbunbao']Yes! They've seemed to crop out the pic of my penis which was to the left of the 360[/QUOTE]

Glad they edited that out, but isn't the PS3 kind of tiny in that pic? Its the biggest next-gen console, yet in that pic it looks like its the size of the PS2.

[quote name='Morpheus']

Can anyone else tell me what's wrong with this picture?[/quote]

Several things now - no black wii, no silver ps3, and the ps3 is actually a little bigger than the 360, not the other way around.

There are all sorts of theories as to how many Wii consoles there will be on the big day and how to get them, but what about the games? Zelda in particular... I preordered a Wii, an extra remote, and ExciteTruck because at first, I just want to have fun learning to play and ExciteTruck looks like it'll be a fun fast-paced arcade kind of game. However, my girlfriend said she would get me Zelda for my birthday (about a week after the 19th). Will she be able to walk into a store sometime that week and just buy one? I don't want her to have to wait in line for it, or worse... buy a different game instead like spongebob or something.

[quote name='zaxo']There are all sorts of theories as to how many Wii consoles there will be on the big day and how to get them, but what about the games? Zelda in particular... I preordered a Wii, an extra remote, and ExciteTruck because at first, I just want to have fun learning to play and ExciteTruck looks like it'll be a fun fast-paced arcade kind of game. However, my girlfriend said she would get me Zelda for my birthday (about a week after the 19th). Will she be able to walk into a store sometime that week and just buy one? I don't want her to have to wait in line for it, or worse... buy a different game instead like spongebob or something.[/quote]

Holy shit if she gets spongebob it's time for a new gf!

But seriously, there should be many more games printed than there are consoles available, but you never know. Zelda will probably sell better than most, but I'd think if you can't find it in a store you'd at least be able to order one online.

[quote name='zaxo']There are all sorts of theories as to how many Wii consoles there will be on the big day and how to get them, but what about the games?[/QUOTE]

Nitendo tends to ship consoles with an almost 1:1 amount of first party release titles. If you can get a Wii you shouldnt have a problem finding Zelda.

Ok I have a quick question: I go in and out of news and what not.. what's up with the component cables?

The Wii doesn't come with the component cables? As in the STANDARD component cables? I don't have an HDTV or anything fancy.

If NOT, can I just use my Gamecube cables? ::confused::

Only composite cables are included, component will be available at most online stores (and then likely in store in the future). GC component cables will not work.

so is a memory card required to save games? or does that fact sheet on the OP imply that 512MB internal flash memory is good for saving games?

[quote name='tenzor']so is a memory card required to save games? or does that fact sheet on the OP imply that 512MB internal flash memory is good for saving games?[/quote]

the 512MB is more than enough for saves and VC games, but if you're gonna splurge on VC games, then I suggest you invest in an SD card.

[quote name='Purple Flames']the 512MB is more than enough for saves and VC games, but if you're gonna splurge on VC games, then I suggest you invest in an SD card.[/quote]

what about GC games? will the 512MB save those too or will I have to buy a new GC memory card?

Who's The Twitch Now?;2383686 said:
You need to have a Gamecube Memory Card to save Gamecube games, that's why there's two slots for them next to the controller sockets.

I picked up my Memory Card 1052 or whatever it is, from Amazon a while back, it was 2 bucks more than the half size one ($19.99 or so), so it's not too bad.

[quote name='gizmogc']This needs to be taken down or modified. Its wrong in many many ways.[/quote]

are you referring to the controller chart? how is it wrong?

Ive got some Wii questions.

Can you save GC games to a SD card if playing it on wii? Can you save it to the memory card? Can you tranfer saves from MEM to SD?

Can you use the GC controller on a wii game, such as Zelda? (didnt they have some accesory contrller that you plug into the wii controller, look like a GC cont)

How is Multiplayer(Making a code, having friends, compairing to xbl, never played a nintendo game MP)

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Ive got some Wii questions.

Can you save GC games to a SD card if playing it on wii? Can you save it to the memory card? Can you tranfer saves from MEM to SD?

Can you use the GC controller on a wii game, such as Zelda? (didnt they have some accesory contrller that you plug into the wii controller, look like a GC cont)

How is Multiplayer(Making a code, having friends, compairing to xbl, never played a nintendo game MP)[/QUOTE]

1, I'm pretty sure you can't. Just Gamecube memory card.
2. Im not sure what you mean, but gamecube games save on gamecube memory cards only.
3. Again, if this is Gamecube related then no. However, any Wii saved data can be transfered to an SD card.
4. No. Wii games = Wii Remote/Nunchuk. The classic controller is what you are thinking about. This plays all the games on the Virtual Console. (The old games you buy). You can also use your Gamecube controller for MOST of these games.
5.There aren't any games that are online multiplayer yet..so..::shrugs::

[quote name='The Crotch']Last I checked, Smash Brothers was confirmed to work with the GCN controller. Still, I would expect it to be the exception, not the rule.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm just answering for what's out now. Who knows when Brawl will be out, and what exactly will go down for that.

I want to pick up all the GC games Ive always wanted to play, not sure if I should just skip out on GC and pickup wii(extra200) or just get wii.

Related to MP: Hows the friend lists/codes (whatever it is), can you actually view who is on? Like ____ is playing zelda (not sure why nintendo doesnt do it)

By controller (since some people said zelda felt tacked on, and after a while, or if your playing seriously) http://usera.imagecave.com/Crush/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg
I think if they do release that, make a more first person shooter type controler too. I imagine using cstick to be annoying.

Has there been any news on the possibility that Nintendo will make their own rechargeable battery back for the Wiimote (much like the battery pack for the 360 wireless controller)?

bread's done
Back