Wii in stock at BestBuy.com NO BUNDLE!!!

Might be a good time to buy before prices rise again with the holidays... I don't think the industry has ever seen a system be in this short of a supply for this long of a period (with perhaps the exception of the DS in Japan).

I walked into a Best Buy yesterday and was surprised to see about a dozen on the shelf. It'd been the third time in a year that I've seen Wii's in stock anywhere. Nintendo said they'd really be ramping up system production for this holiday.

I have been seeing them pretty frequently around the Milwaukee area in pretty much all the major retail chains even EB/gs has had them in stock lately...

I was in my local Toys R Us yesterday and the guy in the games department claimed that TRU would be receiving a huge shipment for sale on Sunday September 30. He claimed our local store would be receiving at least 80 and then he claimed another shipment would arrive shortly thereafter.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I figured I'd pass on the info here.

[quote name='Thrinn']I walked into a Best Buy yesterday and was surprised to see about a dozen on the shelf. It'd been the third time in a year that I've seen Wii's in stock anywhere. Nintendo said they'd really be ramping up system production for this holiday.[/QUOTE]

To this day, I've never actually seen a Wii in the wild, and it's not like I don't frequent my share of electronics stores...

FYI - I was in the Cary Best Buy yesterday (Crossroads) pre-ordering Halo 3 and they had a sign that said "Wiis in Stock" on the shelf.

Not sure how many, but that was the first time I've seen any in stock at a store here in NC since I picked mine up at the K-Mart in Durham back in January.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']To this day, I've never actually seen a Wii in the wild, and it's not like I don't frequent my share of electronics stores...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. It's time Nintendo gets their asses in gear and bump up production on Wii's. Not seeing any Wii's on store shelves almost 10 months after launch is fucking ridiculous. And you know this will carry into the holiday season too.

PS2's sold just as well at launch but it was only 5-6 months until you could go into any store and buy one. It just looks like Nintendo isn't trying hard enough to get them out to stores.

[quote name='norkusa']Yeah, same here. It's time Nintendo gets their asses in gear and bump up production on Wii's. Not seeing any Wii's on store shelves almost 10 months after launch is fucking ridiculous. And you know this will carry into the holiday season too.

PS2's sold just as well at launch but it was only 5-6 months until you could go into any store and buy one. It just looks like Nintendo isn't trying hard enough to get them out to stores.[/quote]Technically it's selling marginally better than the PS2 was. And at this point any supply constraints are due to stocking for the holidays. I'm pretty sure people would be much more annoyed if they were only able to ship a consistent 500k every month for 12 months than if they shipped 400k a month for 8 months and had up to another million available for November and December.

I have still yet to see one in any store except Nintendo World in NYC and the worker said the only reason they aren't OOS is because they get daily shipments.

dond.jpg

I haven't seen one until about last week @ Best Buy when I immediately pounced on it. They said that they got 200 units a few days earlier. They still have probably about 100 of them. It's like the best kept secret in Boston or something. I thought they would disappear in a few days.

[quote name='norkusa']Yeah, same here. It's time Nintendo gets their asses in gear and bump up production on Wii's. Not seeing any Wii's on store shelves almost 10 months after launch is fucking ridiculous. And you know this will carry into the holiday season too.

PS2's sold just as well at launch but it was only 5-6 months until you could go into any store and buy one. It just looks like Nintendo isn't trying hard enough to get them out to stores.[/quote]

Yeah, it's time Nintendo ended this charade.

But the reasons that they are acting like they can't produce enough Wiis undoubtedly have nothing to do with them not "trying hard enough." My thoughts:

1. Nintendo knows that if something is widely known to be in short supply, the demand for it is slightly increased due to the sense of urgency to buy one a consumer might feel if he/she sees one available for purchase. Artifically capping the supply might be a effective way of maintaining the hype around the Wii (not that it's unwarranted, but most things don't have this kind of hype nearly a year after release).
  2. They're probably stockpiling like Wiis in preparation for the Christmas rush like a squirrel stockpiles nuts for the winter season. Wait, let me rephrase that--like a squirrel on crack. Do you really think they're going to lose all of that Christmas season business just because they're too lazy to whip their contracted manufacturers into shape? No way.
That is one of the few gripes I have about Nintendo today. But then again, I already own a Wii, so it hasn't really affected me personally.

Go to your local BBY and check it out, this is supposed to be a MAJOR week for them. Most if not all stores should be getting 2 major shipments this week.

I ordered mine yesterday, after I read this thread on CAG, mainly because I've been completely unable to find the Wii in any stores.

Got an e-mail this morning saying it was on backorder, and expected to ship in 2 weeks.

Wtf? How is it on backorder?

This makes me think that Best Buy is playing games with their website.

i wanted a wii for around 6 months, but didn't want to stand outside a store for hours before it opened

now i could care less about owning one, go figure

these things are still in short supply? wow...i never would have guessed...i guess this fad hasn't worn out as quickly as i thought it was going to. Well, good for Nintendo!! I'm glad they will still be around for a while yet! Not that them sticking around really depended on the Wii mind you, but i'm sure you know what i mean. I'm really just suprised that this has continued this long. I enjoy playing the wii, i mean don't get me wrong, but i hardly consider it incredibly amazing...

Backordered for me as well. Sadly, I expected this would be the best-case scenario after dealing with their website in the past. At least they didn't just cancel my order and never send me an email about it *cough*Skiesofarcadialegends*cough*

bread's done
Back