Wii Innovate? I Think Not (A review of Wii Music turned into a fight with idiots)

Survivor Charlie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Wii Innovate? I Think Not
Originally a Wii Music Review that became… something else.
by Charlie Reneke

We're currently in the middle of Nintendo's remarkable run with the Wii. Hardly anyone would have guessed that a machine so different from the standard model of a game system would become the top console of it’s generation.

And yet it has.

Despite being highly underpowered to the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3, the Wii has captured the imaginations of the gaming public in a much bigger way then even the Playstation 2 did. Nintendo promised it would be a system that would transcend demographics, which drew laughter. No game system will ever appeal to children and your average senior citizen.

And yet it has.

True story: I took my Wii to my uncle’s house for our family’s big Forth of July celebration. I took with me Wii Sports and Boom Blox. I turned bowling on it, and soon the twenty or so people there at the party were trying to figure out an appropriate method to decide when everyone got a turn. This is not in my family’s nature, mind you. We can barely make it seven turns into a game of Monopoly before someone gets mad and throws the board off the table. Wii was able to bring my family together.

My grandmother is 84-years-old. She had never played a video game in her life. My aunt dragged her, practically kicking and screaming, to the television so she could try a couple swings with Wii Sports Bowling.

Two hours later, she finally gave the controller back.

The next day, I got an angry call from her saying how her arm was sore and to never even mention that cursed game ever again in her presence.

Two days later, she called up and asked me to bring it back.

She owns her own Wii now.

Nintendo promised the moon with the Nintendo Wii, and they delivered it along with other parts of the heavens. They’ve changed video games forever. I will safely say that motion controls will never go away. Within two more console generations, it will replace buttons as the dominating game interface on all consoles. The genie is out of the bottle. Nintendo’s innovation will be the standard, like the D-Pad and Analog sticks before it.

But while Nintendo has once again changed the standard on controls for game consoles (whether some people like it or not), true innovation on the Wii is practically non-existent. The games themselves are mostly the same they always were. The most groundbreaking games for the Wii have not been made by Nintendo themselves. I can think of only a handful that are a truly new experiences that can be found on the console.

Boom Blox is one. It was conceived by Steven Spielberg and produced by Electronic Arts. It’s a game so firmly based on it’s control scheme that it could not have been accomplished before the Wii.

Nintendo’s offerings have mostly been retreads of old ground with new interfaces.

That’s fine with me. Part of the reason I’ve been loyal to Nintendo all these years is that I happen to like the style of games Nintendo makes. The Nintendo fan base is loyal. Trust me, after naming the worst ten games they ever made, I found out all about that.

Of the many things I truly appreciate about Nintendo, their willingness to experiment with new game types has always been most important to me. During the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era, they gave us some pretty wacky game ideas. Take a read of these descriptions.

-A platform game where you use bongo drums to string together acrobatic combos leading to boss fights that play out like boxing matches.

-A real time war simulator set in Feudal Japan where the battlefield is a giant pinball table and you must defeat the opposing army using a giant stone ball while using a microphone to call your troops out of harm’s way.

-A minigame collection in which you have between one and four seconds to successfully complete a game before things get even faster and more games are thrown at you.

These are just of the wacky ideas that Nintendo came up with. They didn’t always sell great, but at least the effort was there. And I’m also not claiming that Nintendo is the only company that can bring the new ideas to the table. Sega did so with awesome results during the Dreamcast era, and Sony gave us stuff way off the beaten path like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, two of my top three games of the last generation. But with Nintendo, making those bizarre ideas into fun and functional games worked more often with them then with any other company.

I guess that’s why I’m so disappointed in Nintendo’s output since the Wii came along. I want stuff that I’ve never seen before. With such a daring console, I expected it. And my expectations have not been met. Thus far Nintendo has only published one game that is kind of different from what we’re used to, the highly underrated Endless Ocean.

Everything else has been new versions of old games. Even Wii Fit is little more then a more technologically advanced version of the same old games we played on the Power Pad back in the NES era.

This brings me to the reason I’m here today. Wii Music. Nintendo’s latest attempt to go off the beaten path. It’s a reminder that the beaten path is there for a reason. Sometimes if you go off the path you end up lost in the wilderness and eaten by bears.

For you fanboys, out there, this will be the part where things get nasty. If you can’t deal with that, stay away.

Nintendo has attempted to market Wii Music not as a game, but as a toy. This alone has some gamers furious. I personally don’t care about that aspect. Fun is fun. As long as the product is entertaining, I don’t care what you call it.

Wii Music is not entertaining.

I tried desperately to find a single redeeming aspect of it. I spent way more time with it then I wanted to as if I was on a quest to find something, anything, entertaining about it. I failed.

Let’s start off with the graphics. I don’t really care about graphics, but most do and so I figure I’ll get it out the way. Wii Music is horrible looking in the same way Wii Sports, Wii Play, or Wii Fit is. The Wii was not a machine designed to wow you visually, and Nintendo is desperate to convince gamers that ugly is good. I don’t understand this myself. It’s not like the machine is incapable of doing much better then this. I guess the feeling is Nintendo sucked people in with Wii Sports and thus games designed purely for the casual audience have to look every bit as bland and lifeless as it does. I can almost understand it, like Nintendo is in fear of intimidating all those non-gamers they created the machine for in the first place.

But, according to Nintendo and depending on what mood they‘re in, Wii Music was not designed for everyone. It was designed for children. In this case I can’t see why having better graphics would possibly hurt. Do they consider five-years-olds so unsophisticated they could not handle having a game with a little stylized flare to it?

I tested this theory out by taking Wii Music to a friend’s house so that his young children, ages seven and five, could monkey around with it. I wanted to see how the target audience would respond.

The seven-year-old told me, in these exact words, that the game “looked like a doctor’s office.”

Have you ever known a doctor’s office to be something visually appealing? Of course not. They’re sterile, bland, and lifeless. Wii Music is all of that and more.

I had a tough time convincing the five-year-old that playing Wii Music was important to me. He kept wanting to play a, his words, “better game.” So much for the neighbors.

The ultra-stripped down visuals that I hypothesized were done to make the game less intimidating actually turn people off. After all, nobody wants to be stuck in a doctor’s office.

Moving on to the actual music in Wii Music. If the graphics were a turn off, the music itself is a slap in the face. The most criminal offense is that most of it is done in MIDI format. Someone really needs to remind Nintendo that this is 2008 and that games have actual soundtracks these days. In fact, Super Smash Bros. Brawl featured over 100 songs, with the only ones in MIDI being exact ports of classic NES tunes. It just comes across as incredibly cheap.

There are sixty-six instruments to choose from in Wii Music. They range from serious stuff (pianos, violins, harps) to whacky stuff (a barking dog, a clapping hand, and a flute shaped like an NES controller that plays mono-synth NES chirps). If the tunes weren’t almost all in MIDI, this would be something exciting. Sadly, it’s scientifically proven impossible to enjoy Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik in 2008 when the sound is coming from what sounds like a dusty old Super Nintendo with one of the AV cords fried.

There are fifty-two songs in Wii Music. Most of them are public domain. Nine of them classical symphonies, including Beethoven’s Ode to Joy. Once again, this was designed for children. Twenty-three tunes are ‘traditional’ songs, usually folk music. The US song selection is represented by Yankee Doodle, a song that the British used to make fun of Americans during the revolutionary war (roughly translated, Yankee Doodle is a way of saying Americans are ‘homosexual hillbillies’). It also includes stuff like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Turkey in the Straw, La Bamba (the Mexican Folk version), and Happy Birthday to You, which is one of the few licensed songs Nintendo actually has on here.

Thirteen Songs make up the ‘popular’ selection of tracks, and this section for me is the biggest puzzle. I will stress once again that Nintendo designed Wii Music for young children. In that spirit I ask, what the hell kind of song selection is this? Among the thirteen licensed tracks of the popular section include the theme song to Chariots of Fire, a movie that won best picture the year I was born. I’m 27, that movie is out of MY demographic, let alone a child in this day and age.

Other songs include what I think is a cover to “Please Mr. Postman” and Sting’s “Every Breath You Take.” Such inclusions make me wonder if every breath Nintendo took while making this game was filled with nitrous oxide. How else can you explain including “I’ve Never Been to Me” in children’s game besides some kind of bizarre, laughing gas induced joke that makes sense only to the developers?

Nintendo was also kind enough to include seven themes to ‘classic’ Nintendo games. I say the word classic in a bit of jest. The themes to Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Brothers are there. The other five include two songs from Animal Crossing, a game who’s music is so utterly unmemorable that it allows you to set your own theme to play every hour on the hour. Also included is the Wii Music theme as some kind of final jab to your heart, along with themes from F-Zero and Wii Sports. This is the biggest insult of all. I go back to Smash Bros. Brawl, a fighting game, that had more classic Nintendo tunes in it. Forgive me, Nintendo, for being so enthusiastic with you that I would assume you would include more tracks then this. I guess I made an ass out of u and me.

Unlike most, I was not expecting Nintendo to give us a song list that rivaled Guitar Hero or Rock Band. I just wanted a little effort. Maybe Nintendo should have held the game back and tried to license more music. More then likely they were trying to get the game under a very tight budget. In this they succeeded. I would venture a guess that Wii Music is one of the least expensive games Nintendo has released in decades. But with the graphics already blatantly ugly and the game having little else going for it in terms of goals or objectives, the music really had to be spectacular to be worth while. The only spectacular aspect of it is how bad Nintendo failed.

From a playability standpoint, Wii Music is what I would describe as ‘sometimes functional, mostly broken.’ Don’t walk into it expecting a game anything remotely like Guitar Hero. There really are no notes to hit. You basically waggle the Wii Remote to keep the music going. In some aspects, this works. The faster you wave, the faster the song moves along. But pitch control is way too difficult to pull off.

All the instruments have different waggling methods to activate their sounds, and very few of these work right. Some use the nunchuk, such as the guitar or harp. Some require you to flail the controller like you’re using a drum. Some of them you exclusively just press buttons for, like the flute. Only the button pressing ones have any sort of reliability. The rest are an exercise in frustration. Sometimes you’ll move the controllers and nothing will happen. Sometimes the smallest movement you make while trying to position your hands correctly will result in a note being cast. If you were actually able to invest yourself emotionally in the outcomes, this might be a deal breaker. Don’t worry, you’ll be so bored by this point you won’t care if your dog chews through the power cord.

I was unable to get a party of four people together to try out multiplayer modes, because five minutes in my neighbor and his kids wanted to play something, anything else. I half expected one of them to ask for permission to go shovel snow.

I’m not one of those jaded gamers looking for any excuse possible to hate on a game. And anyone who accused me of being anti-Nintendo has clearly never read my stuff before. I love Nintendo, and I love the games they make. So it’s with a very heavy heart that I do declare that Wii Music is the worst game Nintendo has ever made, and an actual contender for worst video game ever made.

There have been games more broken and games less fun, but it’s the fact that Wii Music was brought to us by Nintendo, under the direction of Shigeru Miyamoto, that feels like a betrayal worthy of Sammy Gravano. I trusted Nintendo to impress me and they failed in every aspect. Although it could be said that truly awful games like E.T. for the Atari 2600 were made with good intentions, I’m not sure that one could say the same thing about Wii Music.

The biggest insult I can say about any game is that it’s unambitious. In the case of Wii Music, it might be the least ambitious title Nintendo has ever made. No effort was made to make the game nice to look at. No effort was made to give us a decent song list. No effort was made to make the game fun to play. It’s been said that Miyamoto’s talent is so great that his games are effortless. I guess that’s proven wrong here. Wii Music is what a game with no effort looks like. And the results are not pretty.

A few years ago, Nintendo quietly released Electroplankton for the DS in North America in limited quantities. At it’s core, it’s exactly the same game as Wii Music, but done right. It’s not a real game either, but rather a toy. Perhaps a better description would have been an ‘interactive musical instrument.’ There were no songs preloaded and no objectives. It featured washed out MIDI sound and very simplified graphics. And it was fun. Maybe because without having the songs present it became more about you conducting the music. Having actual songs, public domain or otherwise, fences you into doing what the game wants you to do instead of giving you the freedom to create your own melodies.

I’m not sure how Wii Music made it out of Nintendo’s quality control department. Someone surely noticed the game was not finished, bowling shoe ugly, sounded prehistoric, and was just plain not at all fun. Part of me thinks that Nintendo really didn’t want to release it but trapped themselves into doing so by featuring the man himself, Mr. Miyamoto, flailing his arms like a madman while playing Wii Music to open E-3. They would have never heard the end to questions about ‘where’s that game they showed off x amount of years ago’ and decided to preemptively shut people up.

I kid, of course. Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing with Wii Music. That it would sell well no matter how bad it was. In fact, despite selling many less units then projected, it’s still passed 500,000 copies in North America at $50 a pop and has almost certainly turned a very large profit. But at what cost?

Wii Music has reduced Nintendo, once the leaders in innovation, to that of push-ware companies like EA, throwing stuff out onto the market with little regard for whether the game is any good because they know the Nintendo brand name will sell. Pushing the envelope got Nintendo the leadership in the seventh generation of game consoles, so I question why they’ve chosen now to stop. Sony and Microsoft are not stupid, and they will fight back in the eighth generation. Nintendo will not be able to release stuff like this and hold onto the console lead. But as they close out 2008 with nothing left on the table and barely any blockbusters scheduled for the first half of 2009, you have to wonder if they simply decided that after Super Smash Bros Brawl released last March that they would take an extended vacation.

The fanboy in me says “Shut up, you know Kid Icarus is on the way.”

Ah yes… all is forgiven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Read that whole thing without realizing it. Very good point you have there. When I first saw the demo of it at E3, I really thought it was going to be a lazy game. Nothing really going on, no point, a toy basically. But then again, every company makes a bad game once in a while. Nintendo has put out some decent titles in a short time (Brawl, Galaxy, Corruption), and asking for more is a bit selfish of the gamers.

Sony and Microsoft put out fewer titles, but no one notices because of third party support that isn't 90% shovelware. Nintendo got the short-end of the stick when it comes to third-party. It's like a canoe taking on water, and Nintendo is the only one patching up the hole while the third parties continue playing with the power drill.

It's great that Nintendo is being innovative, but at the same time it comes at a cost. The cost tends to be adaption. Motion controls to a home console is pretty new. Not many know how to utilize it in a way that doesn't come off as gimmicky and lame. All Nintendo needs right now is time for the third parties to catch up, stop spewing sewage titles, and make something halfway decent.

Two of my favorite titles on the Wii are De Blob and No More Heroes. Both are third party. But the only times motion control is used in the games are methods that could've been easily assigned to a button or two. Buttons are just too useful to just stop using. When 95% of a game is button pressing, while the remaining 5% is just shoe-horned motion controls, you know that you have to think radically different to actually make motion useful.

Sony and Microsoft put out fewer titles, but no one notices because of third party support that isn't 90% shovelware. Nintendo got the short-end of the stick when it comes to third-party. It's like a canoe taking on water, and Nintendo is the only one patching up the hole while the third parties continue playing with the power drill.

I get what you're saying, but the flaw with your argument is you're doing too much to absolve Nintendo. Yes, they're dealing with shovelware problems, both on the DS and on Wii the likes of which the game industry has never seen.

The problem is Nintendo 'patching up the hole' by turning themselves into a push-ware company, using minimal effort and still not turning out enough first party games. Wii Music is going to be followed by a series of Gamecube remakes. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled Nintendo is giving Pikmin 1 & 2 another kick at the can, but it's not solving the problem.

My hopes for other AAA titles like Punch Out!! being worth a damn are not super either. Nintendo farmed it out to Next Level Games of all people, a company with a proven track record... sadly the only thing they've proven is their mediocrity. Nintendo used to be good at selecting little heard of development houses that were capable of great things. They found Silicon Knights, Retro Studios, etc.

Maybe Nintendo saw something special in Next Level Games, and their shitty game catalog could I guess be explained by nightmare deadlines (They made licensed games for Activision and Midway afterall) but I really see clear indications of them being a group of no talents.

Great review! I read it the day you posted it but couldn't comment on it as I was at work. I think you bring up a number of problems, not only directed at the game, but at the Wii itself as well as its marketing.

I've been a Nintendo fanboy since day one, but have always sought out to find better... how should I put this... Highs. I've never been one of those people who consistently praised Nintendo and bashed everything else. However, I've always maintained that Nintendo had a certain quality that was hard to pinpoint that made it somewhat better / more palatable than the other systems, at least as a kid when I was growing up.

Since the Wii arrived on the scene, I was skeptical, and still am. I do not own a Wii, nor do I plan on buying one until well after this generation of systems passes. I have my reasons: Too expensive, too elitist, does a multitude of things wrong as a system... I could go on fore a few pages, but my main beef with the Wii is that it is marketed and conceived in such a way to attract people who normally would not play games. Wii Music is a shining example on how this went extremely wrong.

Just because you CAN have use of a peripheral, does not mean you NEED to use it. To me, the most worthless controller I've EVER used is the Wii Remote. It's clunky and counter-intuitive (for someone who grew up gaming on the NES, SNES and N64).

Sadly it's also what attracts so many people to the system. It's a curiousity and (I feel) a failed experiment. Wii Music just highlights how far the big N has fallen. Focusing more on fancy gadgetry that will get casual gamers to buy a steaming pile of technocrap, it seems Nintendo has forgotten how to make decent games. So much so that the Wii includes a way to download OLDER games, but they couldn't even get that right, as the classic controller is an uncomfortable piece of crap.

Honestly, just from the detailed reviews I've seen of Wii Music, I can tell that Nintendo seems to be trying to milk every last gimmick out of this machine, but at the cost of quality for their first party games, which I feel is an overall metaphor for the system in general.

Anyways, sorry to semi hijack your thread...

[quote name='LinkTGF']To me, the most worthless controller I've EVER used is the Wii Remote. It's clunky and counter-intuitive (for someone who grew up gaming on the NES, SNES and N64).[/QUOTE]

But that's the problem with the majority of antis of the Wiimote - little to no experience outside of the D-pad and its derivatives. This peripheral, to me, is no more counterintuitive than the joystick, trackball, and paddle used with Atari 2600. Or those numeric controllers of the Colecovision or Intellivision. The keyboard and mouse for my PC gaming.

What's counterintuitive is the inexperience of the game designers themselves. By that, I mean, their inexperience with any controller outside of what's popular. I'm not saying it's not their fault, for roughly 25 years the D-pad has been the controller of choice. Four-directional and two buttons to shoot and jump, add buttons as needed. Most gamers, now, are indoctrinated to that concept, and it'll take far more than three years to break what is a lifetime of experience to the users. Until there's more experience with the Wiimote (again, three years is not enough time), we're stuck with waggle-added ports and gimmicky control schemes.

Holy hyperbole, Batman! The Wii Remote as the worst controller ever?

I could name 5 worse controllers right now, without even thinking about it...

-Atari 5200 "Dead Fish" Stick (the worst controller ever)
-Sega Master System's awful D-Pad
-3DO's busted controller that you had to unscrew to make work.
-Atari Jaguar's awful, oversized controller
-XBox's big fat original dumbbell controller.

And I actually disagree about it being uncomfortable. I'm very comfortable holding my Wii controller. It's not great for EVERY game, but games designed solely for the Wii work well with it. Boom Blox for example.

I've been a Nintendo fanboy since day one, but have always sought out to find better... how should I put this... Highs. I've never been one of those people who consistently praised Nintendo and bashed everything else. However, I've always maintained that Nintendo had a certain quality that was hard to pinpoint that made it somewhat better / more palatable than the other systems, at least as a kid when I was growing up.

I tell people that I like Nintendo games because they make me feel like a kid again. And that's important to me. I like every genre of games but after you get past the blood and guts of stuff like GTA or the overly long, nonsensical bullshit of Metal Gear games, sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy some hop-and-bop Mario stuff.

To say that the Wii is an elitest machine... yipes... haven't heard that one before. I mean, if you want to call Mario Galaxy a throw-away game marketed towards the casual crowd, I'm going to have to take your Nintendo Fanboy Membership card and rip it up.

[quote name='Kilraven']But that's the problem with the majority of antis of the Wiimote - little to no experience outside of the D-pad and its derivatives. This peripheral, to me, is no more counterintuitive than the joystick, trackball, and paddle used with Atari 2600. Or those numeric controllers of the Colecovision or Intellivision. The keyboard and mouse for my PC gaming.

What's counterintuitive is the inexperience of the game designers themselves. By that, I mean, their inexperience with any controller outside of what's popular. I'm not saying it's not their fault, for roughly 25 years the D-pad has been the controller of choice. Four-directional and two buttons to shoot and jump, add buttons as needed. Most gamers, now, are indoctrinated to that concept, and it'll take far more than three years to break what is a lifetime of experience to the users. Until there's more experience with the Wiimote (again, three years is not enough time), we're stuck with waggle-added ports and gimmicky control schemes.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree, especially about the amount of time. But, if this needed more than a few year, why throw people into the fray now, when the designers and programmers can't even fully comprehend it now either? If anything, the waggle ports and gimmicks put me (and probably a few other people as well) off from even wanting anything to do with the Wii.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Holy hyperbole, Batman! The Wii Remote as the worst controller ever?

I could name 5 worse controllers right now, without even thinking about it...

-Atari 5200 "Dead Fish" Stick (the worst controller ever)
-Sega Master System's awful D-Pad
-3DO's busted controller that you had to unscrew to make work.
-Atari Jaguar's awful, oversized controller
-XBox's big fat original dumbbell controller.

And I actually disagree about it being uncomfortable. I'm very comfortable holding my Wii controller. It's not great for EVERY game, but games designed solely for the Wii work well with it. Boom Blox for example.

I tell people that I like Nintendo games because they make me feel like a kid again. And that's important to me. I like every genre of games but after you get past the blood and guts of stuff like GTA or the overly long, nonsensical bullshit of Metal Gear games, sometimes you just want to relax and enjoy some hop-and-bop Mario stuff.

To say that the Wii is an elitest machine... yipes... haven't heard that one before. I mean, if you want to call Mario Galaxy a throw-away game marketed towards the casual crowd, I'm going to have to take your Nintendo Fanboy Membership card and rip it up.[/quote]

I'm sticking to my guns on the Wiimote comment - though the other examples of controllers were obviously poorly thought out, badly designed and constructed, they were at least semi functional and easier to get used to given that there isn't the steep learning curve of wiggling and waggling.

At least in the example of the XBox, Sega Master System (which I actually kinda liked), and the jaguar's controllers, they were only victims of bad ergonomics (and not even so much for the SMS controller... that one is not nearly as bad as anyone says it is) or being oversized.

I'm not saying the Wiimote does not work (it obviously does, and it works for the games specifically designed for it) but retroconning games like Zelda or platformers, for example, to waggle with is herasy in and of itself.

I used to work at a game store, not unlike game stop, and I got ample opportunities to try it out. Knowing video games was my business, and I always saw the Wii as just a clever marketing ploy... It doesn't bring much new to the table, if anything at all... It has a slightly higher processing power than the Gamecube, and that's really all.

Games like Wii Sports all seem to capitalize on the use of this controller, and for games like bowling, or baseball, it works great... But if I want to go bowling, I'll go bowling for real and not play a piece of crap game with terrible graphics that are supposed to look like me with giganticism...

But aside from Wii Sports, the pack-in game, how many games really make good use of this controller? Relatively few. As anecdotal evidence, think about how many people now play with the Wii who never would have before? Quite alot, and it's because of the way that Nintendo is marketing the system and waving their Wiimotes in everyone's faces. We get it! It's different! Now PLEASE, make some MORE decent first party games that either make really good use of the Wiimote or shut the fuck up!

I honestly would not mind using that damn thing if there were games that use it fluidly, without having some strange learning curve where every few mins there's an icon on screen to tell you what to do with your phallic stick. With a standard controller, you know what to do. It's simply almost innate. You've got your directional pad and a few buttons, and you're good to go.

As for Mario Galaxy, I have not played it, but I have heard it is very good. Me saying that the Wii is an elitist machine I feel is justified though. Having a Wii is almost a status symbol, or a way to have a commonality with someone else, and again this ties in with the masses of people who are now playing games for the first time because it's not seen as a game, it's a toy.

I remember working at my old job and my manager there was probably in her 50's or so - she would go on and on about how great this system was. She had never had a system before the Wii, but was on the edge of her seat when things like Mario Kart with the wheel came out or Wii Fit, because it's interactive.

On the same coin though, she also ended up losing interest in those very same things, especially Wii Fit. So what we end up with is a system that attracts many people, but at the same time those people are very fickle and move on to the next thing. Sadly it seems that Nintendo's number one priority is to keep those people satisfied with mediocre games.

Once those people move on, what are us, the true Nintendo fans left with?

Hey, I for one believe all controllers should double as flails like the original Xbox controller did, and I still prefer it over the Controller-S. It's my second-favorite controller of all time!

I'm sticking to my guns on the Wiimote comment - though the other examples of controllers were obviously poorly thought out, badly designed and constructed, they were at least semi functional and easier to get used to given that there isn't the steep learning curve of wiggling and waggling.

You've obviously never used the 5200 controller then... in which case I don't know why you commented on it. No wiggling or waggling? It was a joystick that had no centering-mechanism. The stick just flopped over when not in use. By design. Try playing a game using that thing.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']You've obviously never used the 5200 controller then... in which case I don't know why you commented on it. No wiggling or waggling? It was a joystick that had no centering-mechanism. The stick just flopped over when not in use. By design. Try playing a game using that thing.[/quote]
The 5200 controller (which, I own one of, but never used since I do not own an atari) was not built with wiggling in mind for its USAGE - that came as a side effect of poor design

You're in essence blaming the shitty game developers for the controller sucking. When someone uses it right, the controller far from sucks. It sure works better then any of the controllers mentioned above.

Imagine if someone made a game for the NES where pressing 'up' was the fire button, you had to press 'B' to pause the game and the 'select' button is what you used to move forward. That would clearly be a case of unintuitive game controls. But in your scenario, the NES controller was now the worst controller ever because a developer made a game that was hard to control with it.

To say that wagging and wiggling has a steep learning curve... it makes me curious what games you played (actually judging by your comments I doubt you've even played one). But this isn't complicated stuff they teach you in advance Mime school. You're just shaking the controller. It really says more about your intelligence (or lack there-of) then about the controller.

Enjoyed the review you hit the nail on the head about the game and about 3rd party support. Keep them coming. Do you publish them at all on a website? I'd like to read more of your stuff.

This review of Wii Music is pretty dead on. Nintendo has the right thought in mind for the game with the ability to create music with the Wiimote/nunchuck. However the execution is so blown on so many levels such as MIDI based music, bland design, and just simply bad detection that this is a big massive failure. I was really looking forward to this title based on the concept but as I said... the execution pretty much has turned me off from buying it.

The sad thing is even with the lackluster line up of games coming out for the Wii for this year thus far I don't see Nintendo in panic mode. There are far too many casual/non-gamers still trying to get their hands on the system itself which means that exsisting titles on the market such as Mario whatever (Galaxy/Kart/Paper), Wii Fit, etc will continue to sell well. Yeah Nintendo might dabble the proverbial T-Bone steak in front of us die hard gamers with teasing Kid Icarus but honestly even Reggie isn't worried about losing a few die hards when Nintendo has far far more casual/non-gamers begging for Wii systems, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, etc etc etc.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']You're in essence blaming the shitty game developers for the controller sucking. When someone uses it right, the controller far from sucks. It sure works better then any of the controllers mentioned above.

Imagine if someone made a game for the NES where pressing 'up' was the fire button, you had to press 'B' to pause the game and the 'select' button is what you used to move forward. That would clearly be a case of unintuitive game controls. But in your scenario, the NES controller was now the worst controller ever because a developer made a game that was hard to control with it.

To say that wagging and wiggling has a steep learning curve... it makes me curious what games you played (actually judging by your comments I doubt you've even played one). But this isn't complicated stuff they teach you in advance Mime school. You're just shaking the controller. It really says more about your intelligence (or lack there-of) then about the controller.[/quote]

What I'm saying is that in an effort to "innovate", Nintendo introduces a poor way of controlling games, turning off people who have been gamers since day one. Insinuating that I'm an idiot just because of that is really fucked up.

If I wanted to shake my hand around, I'd go masturbate. In fact, when someone makes a game where you use the Wiimote like a dick, and shake it to simulate jerking off, I'll play a Wii again.

[quote name='LinkTGF']What I'm saying is that in an effort to "innovate", Nintendo introduces a poor way of controlling games, turning off people who have been gamers since day one. Insinuating that I'm an idiot just because of that is really fucked up.

If I wanted to shake my hand around, I'd go masturbate. In fact, when someone makes a game where you use the Wiimote like a dick, and shake it to simulate jerking off, I'll play a Wii again.[/QUOTE]

First off, I'm not insinuating you're an idiot. I'm flat out saying you are one.

Second, it's not a poor way of controlling games if it's done right.

[quote name='kube00']Enjoyed the review you hit the nail on the head about the game and about 3rd party support. Keep them coming. Do you publish them at all on a website? I'd like to read more of your stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm working on getting a website going. I'm not good at that kind of stuff so I might have to have someone do it for me.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']First off, I'm not insinuating you're an idiot. I'm flat out saying you are one.

Second, it's not a poor way of controlling games if it's done right.[/quote]

I was all up with you on your awesome review - and I still don't know what turned this into a battle between you and I. None of my anger at Nintendo was directed at you, and you go off and say I'm an idiot. Either way I'm not reading any more of your reviews if you're going to take offense at reader's opinions, and their subsequent efforts to defend them in a civil way.

I don't like having to be so goddamn physical when playing my games. Shoot me if it's a crime to say that or any other statement corroborating that argument.

[quote name='LinkTGF']I don't like having to be so goddamn physical when playing my games. Shoot me if it's a crime to say that or any other statement corroborating that argument.[/QUOTE]

You don't like to get physical when playing your games? What physicality is there? Most Wii games require nothing more then pointing at the screen and a little light shaking. I think you seem to be under the impression that Wii games require huge gestures and constant movement like you're having a seizure. In fact, very subtle gestures work, at least in games that are well made.

Either way I'm not reading any more of your reviews if you're going to take offense at reader's opinions, and their subsequent efforts to defend them in a civil way.

Oh nos! A knuckle dragging moron who said the Wii Remote is the worst controller ever made despite having clearly never used it is pissed that I'm arguing with his ill-informed, biased, ignorant opinion.

I'm all in favor of having a rational argument about the merits and faults of the Wii Remote with someone who's experienced in using it. Arguing it with you would be like arguing with a six year old over proper car operation.

bread's done
Back