Wii MotionPlus and Wii Sports Resort - General Info - Out now

The game is getting pretty good reviews (especially from sites that don't use the traditional 1-10 scale). Giant Bomb gave it 5 stars, while 1up gave it an A-. It definitely seems like Nintendo made this worth buying for the game and not just the peripheral.

I just got done playing every game except golf. (It was pissing me off, I couldn't hit straight. I'll go back to training and practice later) Nintendo could put Wii Sports Resort, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Fit, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Excite Truck on the same normal sized disc. The file sizes of each are really tiny. :drool:

First impression ranking (played most games once)

Air Sports
Swordplay
Bowling
Archery
Power Cruising
Wakeboarding
Table Tennis
Frisbee
Golf
Basketball
Canoeing
Cycling

Tried out golf at the local Gamestop. Felt really weird. Kinda wrong. Maybe I'm just too used to the original, or maybe the tether was also a factor. It was REALLY hard to overswing in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Canoeing, Air Sports and Swordplay today. Swordplay was supershallow and seems easily exploitable but fun. Canoeing never felt like I was doing it right but I passed. Air sports was cool and has a nice collection aspect.

It seems like even w/ WM+, the remote can't detect z-axis motion very well. When trying to "slow down" in airsports, 8/10 times I would speed up, 1/10 do nothing, 1/10 actually slow down. Maybe there's a trick to it, but I haven't found it.

Played about 3-4 hrs of this today. Archery, Table Tennis, Swordplay are the ones that stick out the most for me. Only ones I haven't tried are the Dogfighting and the Power Cruising. Like some of the reviews said, most of the water sports are disappointing. Bowling feels the same. Golf has some good improvements.

Can't wait to get another Wii MotionPlus for some multiplayer action with Swordplay and Table Tennis though. =d

Played through several rounds of each game for a good bit after picking this up today. I actually liked the sword fighting, especially once it got to the missions where you are taking on hordes going through a level.

The only one that really bothered me was the Frisbee game. For some reason, the timing just seemed really off on manual mode. After playing the Disc Golf games with WM+ on TW10, this felt extremely weak in comparison. The release timing is off is the major concern. If you release at the point where the disc should fly straight it jets WAY off to the side.

I've bee playing real Frisbee for years and know how the timing should be. It was extremely close in TW10 and way off on this one.

Aside from that, does anyone know where to go to view your collection of stamps that you have earned? I see the message pop up in the game and on the Wii message board, but didnt see a place to look at them all in game.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']
The only one that really bothered me was the Frisbee game. For some reason, the timing just seemed really off on manual mode. After playing the Disc Golf games with WM+ on TW10, this felt extremely weak in comparison. The release timing is off is the major concern. If you release at the point where the disc should fly straight it jets WAY off to the side.

I've bee playing real Frisbee for years and know how the timing should be. It was extremely close in TW10 and way off on this one.[/QUOTE]
This is how I felt with the basketball games, I'm afraid it will ruin my form in real life :lol: it's the worst Wii Sport to me. Sword fighting is best I can't wait to see what other developers do with it.

I'm not really a frisbee player, but I agree that didn't really seem to work great. I was set up with the wrong handedness though, I'll try it again with the correct set-up later.

Basketball I really enjoy, but my low ceiling holds me back a little bit. Archery and table tennis are also great.

Alright I went back for a third try and figured out what I'm doing wrong with the 3 point shoot out. I had to stop myself from the habit of following through with my shot making the goose neck. I've increased my score by 15 by not trying to shoot like in real life form. I hope I don't pick up any bad habits.

I agree the frisbee in Tiger 10 is much more accurate to the actual release point. Both are still fun though once you get used to them, they just had steeper learning curves for some people like me.

I wish they had some mini games for Archery and Golf. I'm surprised they got rid of the Golf ones but I guess I "could" pop back the old Wii Sports if I really wanted to play them. I'm sad they didn't expand on the Archery. =p

I don't like the Basketball. Maybe because your Mii jumps and I don't since the ceiling is there, but it's missing some pizzaz.. The pick-up game, unless I get another WM+ and play with another person, is whack. I played the Power Crusing. Wish it could've been a bit smoother. Sometimes my boost doesn't register and I'm pretty sure I'm holding it correctly. I've calibrated it a few times too. =/

Well, haven't read the thread but I just wanted to say that this game was running continuously on our Wii from about 3pm when I got home with it until 12:30 AM when I made my son and his friend (who is spending the night here) go to bed ;). I had picked up a second Wii Motion + a while back when it first came out (got it for about $12 at Fred Meyer with coupons). That was a smart move as they played tons of 2-player stuff. They really liked the sword fighting and the aerial combat. They also really got a kick out of the third mode of the swordfighting - the one with the different levels where you face hordes of enemies. I didn't even know this existed from any previews I read (admittedly I didn't read too much about it though). They had a blast taking turns going through that. You never know what's going to amuse 9 year-old boys. They really liked calling off the names of the people they sliced down and relating them to people they know. All of the ones they came across in our game were the generic characters the game creates. Is this the way it is for everyone? It is hard to tell on our system because all our Miis all got wiped out when I sent the system in for repairs. We only had 2 in our Mii plaza when we popped this in today.

I barely had any time to play. I liked the archery and thought the basketball was kind of fun too - though it is a bit of a stalemate when playing the computer. I won 3-0 after making a three-pointer in the first few seconds and then not being able to score after that (but easily keeping the computer from scoring). The boys tried playing that but the shooting motion is a bit more difficult for them to master - they kept firing shots straight ahead :lol:. The frisbee one looks cool, too, though I only got to do that for about 5 minutes. Hopefully I'll get some time with it tomorrow.

Anyway, the Wii Motion + is definitely a great device. Sure, it only makes the Wii behave as it should have been from the beginning but it was more than needed to fix the "waggle" problem. Hopefully it will sell millions and we'll start getting some great full-scale games designed around it.

My son had some other friends over earlier in the day. All told, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will soon have 3 other families in my neighborhood buying this thing too...

[quote name='io']They really liked calling off the names of the people they sliced down and relating them to people they know. All of the ones they came across in our game were the generic characters the game creates. Is this the way it is for everyone? It is hard to tell on our system because all our Miis all got wiped out when I sent the system in for repairs. We only had 2 in our Mii plaza when we popped this in today.[/QUOTE]

There's actually a setting in the options to allow WSR to import Miis from the Check Mii Out Channel. I turned that on toward the end of my day of gaming, but I didn't notice any difference. Might just take a little while.

I'm going to pick this up in a few weeks. Does the archery have moving targets too? I've not seen that in any videos. I'll be a little disappointed in the archery if it doesn't have more then just stationary targets.

The archery game has moving target starting on medium level and moving targets with barricades in front of them on the hard level.

Did anyone remove their motion plus from the Wii remote jacket? Does it work ok just having the motion plus attached to the wiimote with out the jacket, or does the jacket help keep it tight and close or something?

[quote name='KongaKing']Did anyone remove their motion plus from the Wii remote jacket? Does it work ok just having the motion plus attached to the wiimote with out the jacket, or does the jacket help keep it tight and close or something?[/QUOTE]

I took mine out first thing, since I've never liked the Wii condom. It works just fine, since it has a locking mechanism on it.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']I took mine out first thing, since I've never liked the Wii condom. It works just fine, since it has a locking mechanism on it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, never occured to me not to use the cover. With the way my kids were jumping all over the living room during the sword fighting game I think that would be a dangerous thing to do, both in terms of life and property ;). It is even more of a pain to change batteries now but oh well (the rechargeables I've been using I think are starting to lose it - seems like I have to change them every few hours).

[quote name='theflicker']There's actually a setting in the options to allow WSR to import Miis from the Check Mii Out Channel. I turned that on toward the end of my day of gaming, but I didn't notice any difference. Might just take a little while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did get that message at one point, and yeah, it didn't make any difference either. They are playing it again right now so I'll have to see if there are any goofy Miis in there. I like how they pop up the warning that some imported Miis may be inappropriate for children (or something like that).

I got this earlier today without a second Motion Plus, thanks to GameStop being the only major retailer I've seen that isn't charging $20 for it. I'll probably hold off on getting a spare until I have a friend over to save me some time now.

I really like sword fighting, archery, basketball (you just suck at it, io, because I rain threes on the computer team), table tennis, bowling, and the air sports games. Swordfighting is probably the best use of the added sensitivity and the mode centered around beating up fools that come after you is fun for single-player action. Basketball is nice and simple, though I have no inside scoring game yet, just a good range shots and great shot blocking (with my face, too). Table Tennis capitalizes on the potential that the Wii Play version of the game had, but fleshes it out into an actual sport. Bowling is as fun as it was in the original Wii Sports, but with a bit more control that keeps those easy strike moves out of it for a while. The flyover mode for the plane games is a nice relaxing game that lets me fly around the island and explore without much pressure.

The games that I hate are canoeing (it's unresponsive for me), cycling (think of the most tiring minigames in the first Raving Rabbids game and you have an idea of what to expect), and somewhat frisbee, though that's more about me sucking at it and wishing I could pick/design a dog to be my partner. I still haven't tried Golf, Wakeboarding, or Power Cruising, so I don't have anything to say about those sports yet.

I really like the stamps system, which is Nintendo's attempts at achievments. There are five per game/mode and it adds more things to do outside of what the games already offer. I'm not a fan of the spam messages you get to your message board, as you get one per stamp, so don't think that you've gotten popular when you see that you've gotten a bunch of messages. I'd have really liked to see a stamp book that collects all of them in one spot and then fill up as you collect them in each game so that you could have a one-stop place to see what you still have left to earn.

I still wish that the game let me pick my team in basketball and any other applicable games since I'd love to have some choice to who I'm playing with. At least these games seem to be less team-oriented and more about pitting you against a friend one-on-one.

[quote name='shinryuu']I wish they had some mini games for Archery and Golf. I'm surprised they got rid of the Golf ones but I guess I "could" pop back the old Wii Sports if I really wanted to play them. I'm sad they didn't expand on the Archery. =p

I don't like the Basketball. Maybe because your Mii jumps and I don't since the ceiling is there, but it's missing some pizzaz.. The pick-up game, unless I get another WM+ and play with another person, is whack. I played the Power Crusing. Wish it could've been a bit smoother. Sometimes my boost doesn't register and I'm pretty sure I'm holding it correctly. I've calibrated it a few times too. =/[/QUOTE]
does that mean there's no training for golf ?

Just ordered Wii Sports Resort from Amazon for $40 after ECA and Prime, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Picked up Tiger Woods 10 on Sunday so I'll have a couple of Wii Motion pluses for group Sports Resort play.

I'm digging everything except golf. For whatever reason, I can't get it to recognize my swings. I played a few holes with no problems, then it started doing goofy things like hitting the ball when I was pulling back to swing, or swinging late. I tried recalibrating and changing batteries, but no luck. Every other game works fine, and I had no problems with the original Wii Sports golf, so who knows what the problem is.

Early favorites for me are Table Tennis, Frisbee, Archery, 3 point shooting and bowling.

[quote name='benjamouth']
Picked up Tiger Woods 10 on Sunday so I'll have a couple of Wii Motion pluses for group Sports Resort play.[/QUOTE]

Most of them can be played by taking turns. The big ones you need two for are Swordfighting & table tennis. You can do multiple for Canoeing and Cycling but as mentioned those games are terrible.

I played about an hour with the wife last night and for the most part I didn't like it. Table Tennis was the only game that felt right to me.

From my perspective what the game is missing is velocity and range of motion calibration. I don't care if the game is going to multiply the motion of a little kid so that they can throw/hit almost as far as I can. I do care if the game penalizes me for swinging too hard when I'm making a concerted effort to not swing that hard. The range of motion limitation was really noticable in basketball. I had my best success releasing less than half of the way through a normal basketball shot motion.

I don't think I'll ever play single player on my own.

Got this recently and did a little frisbee, etc. Included in that playtime was one game of bowling. I'm not sure how bowling was different from the Wii Sports version, but it _felt_ different given that I was dealing out strikes (7 in a row) unlike anything I'd ever done in the Wii Sports version. Could someone who knows detail exactly how Bowling is "enhanced" this time around?

[quote name='dothog']Got this recently and did a little frisbee, etc. Included in that playtime was one game of bowling. I'm not sure how bowling was different from the Wii Sports version, but it _felt_ different given that I was dealing out strikes (7 in a row) unlike anything I'd ever done in the Wii Sports version. Could someone who knows detail exactly how Bowling is "enhanced" this time around?[/QUOTE]

I believe it does have to do with your wrist movements. For example, we played last night. My BF, who is typically good at bowling, did well. I, who suck at bowling, did poorly.

[quote name='lilboo']
This swordfighting game is pretty bad ass.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Strell']Why is it that I cannot - cannot - read a lilboo post without thinking it is rife with innuendo?[/QUOTE]:)

Wow, looking at the stamp guide at IGN some of those are gonna be damn near impossible. They would make for a very tough set of achievements or trophies on the other systems - harder than most games, actually.

[quote name='javeryh']Is this game playable standing 2 feet from the TV?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was about 2-3 feet away from the TV and had no problems.

It's nice to be able to get some decent Spin on the ball in bowling, also the fencing is quite good fun, frisbee I wasn't such a big fan of.

Got this in from Amazon yesterday. (finally)

I've played a little of every game, but interestingly enough the one I've spent the most time in is Frisbee Dog, and it's amazingly accurate. I was having some difficulty hitting the balloons/targets that were opposite to my throwing hand, since in real life I would perform an underhanded throw. Out of curiosity I tried doing an underhanded throw and it worked as expected for those difficult shots!

I also played a little bit of Disc Golf, but I honestly think Tiger Woods 10 has the upper hand here. The Wii Sports version does feel slightly more accurate, but feels dumbed down for the general populace.

The only thing that really feels missing, is that I wish you could see all of the stamps awarded for a particular Mii.

Also, where the hell is Pilotwings Wii?

I cannnooott beat the Table Tennis Champion. ARGHaslkjsdakjlarw.

Tried Dogfight with my brother last night. Not that fun as I thought it would be after a few reviews/peeps were raving about it. Multiplayer canoeing was more fun than that. =p

Is there a way to change/unlock more than "Best of Six" on table tennis? I love that game and would rather play to 21 or something

[quote name='KongaKing']Is there a way to change/unlock more than "Best of Six" on table tennis? I love that game and would rather play to 21 or something[/QUOTE]

Hold the 2 button during the Mii selection screen. You'll get to play to 11.

I just picked up Wii Sports Resort and played a tiny bit over an hour with it. It's pretty cool. The motion plus works, although Golf and Bowling seem less fun now than the original version because it might be a tad too sensitive for those games. I couldn't get the power right for either of them and Bowling kept saying I was releasing too early.

I guess my least favorite is the Jet Ski one. It's too hard to get a boost as it doesn't recognize everything. But for right now my favorite has to be Archery. Just...wow. That was cool. So was Table Tennis, but I only played one match of that.

Found all the bloody secret targets, and eventually got the bloody stamp on the expert level of archery.

I think I'm done for the night, but I feel well accomplished.

I played some basketball tonight, and it seems alright. Bowling is something I really enjoyed in Wii Sports Bowling but I don't enjoy here. Mainly because the game keeps telling me 'you're releasing too early' when my feet are up to the line :\

Golf is something I like now because I know how to play. Frisbee...it either doesn't work right or there's something I'm not getting. Also, I continue to love flying around the Island in the plane. My only complaint is that there seems to be no way to increase the amount of time I can fly.

[quote name='KingBroly']Bowling is something I really enjoyed in Wii Sports Bowling but I don't enjoy here. Mainly because the game keeps telling me 'you're releasing too early' when my feet are up to the line :\
[/QUOTE]

It does that more now? Great, it does it for me all the time in the first Wii Sports, so I think I'm gonna be so terrible at the new one.

bread's done
Back