Wii Music- Gen. Discussion & Info: Out Now!

[quote name='mephitical']I love kids toys. They have lasting appeal. This looks fun to me.[/quote]

I love kids' toys too, and I've had a lot of experience with music toys aimed at kids. Some are interesting (music blocks), some are simplistic but still are interesting musically and promote learning (the Mozart cube), and some are really pretty boring (instruments that play themselves or really don't do anything).

Wii Music really looks like it's in the last category.

Legoland has (or had...it's been awhile) an "interactive" water feature. It was a large fountain with a bunch of instruments that made noise and spewed water if you jumped on the corresponding pressure pad in front of the fountain.

You could get five or six people, each of them jumping or depressing the plate, and the music and water would turn on or drop out depending on the activity of the person involved. This was an activity that was good for about ten minutes worth of amusement, if you were really into it.

Now consider that Wii Music is less interactive than that.

I could see Wii Music being really fun for a bunch of preschoolers. But I suspect that even they would get bored.

Yes, in fact it is pretty close to encapsulating everything Nintendo has worked towards with the Wii.

God, I hope not.

Wii Sports was at least a game. Despite being simplified, you still had to do something to succeed. Wii Sports does encapsulate what I see as the Nintendo design: simplified, family friendly, fun, but still possessing good design and gameplay.

I have no problem with Wii Music being more of a tool than a game -- I am an owner of Jam Sessions -- but it's not even that. It's not creative. It's not really useful in a way I can see -- even the "drum lessons" look like they are going to teach bad habits that real drum teachers are going to have to work harder to correct later on.

Worst of all, the design looks to remove everything worthwhile about music for the vague goal of letting everyone feel special by contributing. It's so fucking accessible that anyone, including houseplants and family pets, can make equally important contributions.

The only potential bonus I can see is that you get a room full of people spazzing out to corny muzak. Unfortunately, the game doesn't record this -- it only makes a video of the onscreen performance. The only promising opportunity, wasted like all the rest.

[quote name='blandstalker']Legoland has (or had...it's been awhile) an "interactive" water feature. It was a large fountain with a bunch of instruments that made noise and spewed water if you jumped on the corresponding pressure pad in front of the fountain.

You could get five or six people, each of them jumping or depressing the plate, and the music and water would turn on or drop out depending on the activity of the person involved. This was an activity that was good for about ten minutes worth of amusement, if you were really into it.

Now consider that Wii Music is less interactive than that.[/quote]
I haven't played Wii Music yet, but I have gone to Legoland several times, and I'd dispute that the musical fountain is more interactive than WM. After all, the fountain just lets you jump on the pad and it plays a snippet of song (while spraying water at you). From what I've read, Wii Music lets you change the tempo of your instrument, change instruments, and layer tracks to "build" a melody -- which is a good deal more than what Legoland offers.

Not that I'm saying Wii Music will be an instant hit with the masses, but I refuse to pass judgement until we get the final product on the shelves. But it does offer a bit more than the Legoland fountain, at least...

--R.J.

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What the hell?![/QUOTE]
Nintendo has locked up the musically retarded furry demographic in one efficient stroke. Those brilliant bastards.
:applause:

It's bullshit how those commercials (I watched all of them) tried to act like the person's body movements really matter.

this is awesome, and I'll sell them like crazy. All you haters and trolls need to stop talking crap about wii music it's one of nintendos better apps.

Did Mario Paint's composer have dog sounds in it? I can't remember.

I demand the need for a Captain Rainbow sound set. We can be all....Captain Rainbow-y.

yeah mario paint had every sound imaginable. A better nintendo music program available in 1993? impossible.

if two people go at it they have to match each other there is so much fun and possibilities in this game I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

I really can't believe this game.
I mean Wii Sports IS a pretty good game--I don't care how much you hate the Wii, you have to admit Wii Sports is neat.

I enjoyed Wii Play for what it is.
I even bought into Wii Fit and also enjoyed that.

But this? I mean.. c'mon. I think it's pretty bad when the people who have long time Nintendo fans & pretty hardcore Wii supporters (such as myself) are really annoyed by this game. :wall:

I can see being annoyed by this game as a "game", but it looks to have all the same charm as the other Mii-heavy applications. It appears to be more involved than jogging around in Wii Fit and that by itself is simple fun enough. This might not be for everyone here, but it will sell so well.

It could have been so much better than how it is currently looking. *sigh* I will not be picking this up. My Wii has not been played in a few months. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Quintessence']It could have been so much better than how it is currently looking. *sigh* I will not be picking this up. My Wii has not been played in a few months. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]
What, not even Wario Land or de Blob? What's the matter with you???

(I have an excuse, I'm still working through Force Unleashed).

--R.J.

My understanding of the "music game where you don't have to time your notes" is that the challenge comes from being with other people and just magically coordinating your movements in order to make the appropriate music. In which case the game has a little more merit than I originally gave it credit for.

1up giving it an A- is shocking. They hate everything from Nintendo lately.

[quote name='Strell'] They hate everything from Nintendo lately.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that. They gave Mario Sluggers a B, Wii Fit a B+, Mario Kart Wii a B+, etc.

Also, the review is by Jennifer Tsao and if I remember correctly, she is into these types of quirky games.

Don't know if everyone saw this and I was surprised to not see this posted here. This video has pretty much sold me on the game - there definitely seems to be more to the game then was made apparent from the original presentation. How did they blow that original presentation so badly?

[quote name='dallow']1up gave it an A-.

And see this video:

[media]http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=vOx3G2AAFUI&NR=1[/media]

Game actually looks good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkSageRK']IGN gave it 5/10.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/921/921024p1.html[/quote]
Not to say that there aren't some potentially valid points in there, but you don't really want to kick off a review with this statement:
" I've remained outwardly skeptical of Wii Music since its unveiling..."
The main criticisms in this review are some of the main reasons I am excited. I'll pick up Guitar Hero: World Tour for just me, and I'm excited about Wii Music for me and everyone else in my family.

[quote name='wii skiier']Not to say that there aren't some potentially valid points in there, but you don't really want to kick off a review with this statement:
The main criticisms in this review are some of the main reasons I am excited. I'll pick up Guitar Hero: World Tour for just me, and I'm excited about Wii Music for me and everyone else in my family.[/quote]

Give your kids pots and pans. It's cheaper and more effective.

[quote name='wii skiier']
The main criticisms in this review are some of the main reasons I am excited.[/QUOTE]
You were looking foward to bad MIDI renditions of public domain songs, and using instruments like "barking dog" to play them? Those are the main criticisms I remember.

Yeah, this game isn't for us, so I'm not the least bit bothered by it. It's for all the grade schoolers, soccer/hockey moms and Joe the Plumbers.:lol:

Seriously tho, this game was never intended for us, the 'Core'. Matter of fact, why are we even discussing this? We have Mother 3 to play!:bouncy:

[quote name='pete5883']You were looking foward to bad MIDI renditions of public domain songs....[/quote]Oh shit. Strell. Get MarioColbert now.

[quote name='The Crotch']Oh shit. Strell. Get MarioColbert now.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't stand for people inaccurately calling things MIDI.

Last I heard he was up to Chapter 4 in one night inside World of Goo, which he happily now considers an excellent game, as well as a comparable title against Braid. He played the demo yesterday, went home, bought it, and got that far in one night.

I would probably be that far as well if it weren't for the perfect storm of Secret of Mana, Cubello, and Mother 3 all descending upon me like blackened angels from high above.

I shall alert him.

[quote name='wii skiier']Not to say that there aren't some potentially valid points in there, but you don't really want to kick off a review with this statement:
The main criticisms in this review are some of the main reasons I am excited. I'll pick up Guitar Hero: World Tour for just me, and I'm excited about Wii Music for me and everyone else in my family.[/quote]

Why not? He was a skeptic (rightfully) and the product didn't change is mind.
1up gave it an A? What a joke.

This product will sell out for the kiddies this holiday season because it has Wii in the title like WiiPlay, WiiFit, WiiSports, etc.

There are preorders on ebay already, I may get in on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
the video with rodrigo was hilarious. The people in the audience were all old and only 2 of them knew the mario theme, 3 people asked questions, one was about a camcorder or something and nobody else was even enthused.

It's a game which plays music for you all you do is decide the rhythm you want, whether it be fast, slow, short notes/long notes, samples, etc.

Hopefully it will come with tons of classical pieces and tons of songs available for D/L in the future and not something they scrap after it's release.

I think this is great for kids ages 10 and under. Anyone older can play it but would get bored within 2 hours the first time and then a few replays of 15 minute segments thereafter. I wonder how much a game like this will compete (if at all) with the available guitar hero games for the wii when it comes to those looking to play rhythm based music games. nintendo should also make more Donkey Konga games for those looking for a nintendo themed rhythm/music game using the wiimote as bongos.

The most impressive part of the video was the potential of the wii motion plus. If the damn thing even uses it, I'm not even sure.

[quote name='pete5883']You were looking foward to bad MIDI renditions of public domain songs, and using instruments like "barking dog" to play them? Those are the main criticisms I remember.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']He doesn't stand for people inaccurately calling things MIDI.[/QUOTE]

So is it not MIDI? I'm just paraphrasing the criticisms from IGN:

Not only are most of the 50-plus tracks lifted from the public domain -- such timeless hits as Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, O Christmas Tree, My Grandfather's Clock and Bridal Chorus -- but they are also rendered in archaic, amateur MIDI.

[quote name='Casiotech']
Hopefully it will come with tons of classical pieces and tons of songs available for D/L in the future and not something they scrap after it's release. [/quote]

Nintendo doesn't seem too hot on DLC. I haven't heard anything about Wii Music having that capability.

The most impressive part of the video was the potential of the wii motion plus. If the damn thing even uses it, I'm not even sure.

It doesn't.

[quote name='pete5883']He can take it up with Mr. Casamassina.[/QUOTE]

Casmmasmammmmsamasmasmcasuimcasimcasimasc is generally wrong a good bit so I'm not sure why that would change anything.

[quote name='pete5883']You were looking foward to bad MIDI renditions of public domain songs, and using instruments like "barking dog" to play them? Those are the main criticisms I remember.[/quote]
Yeah, actually. I like things that make me smile.

Sorry to disappoint the expectants of hate - "MIDI REALIZATIONS OF POPULAR DOMAIN SONGS" is a perfectly correct statement, especially if the variable instrument is also mentioned.

What I have a huge gripe with is when people say "oh this sounds like MIDI." MIDI is an interface (that's what the last I in it fucking stands for). It sounds like silent ass numbers which trigger synthesizers / samplers / effects / whateva do. If you mean "GENERAL MIDI" - a Creative Labs invention of a generic library of sounds that became a staple of cheesy ass music in games - that's better, but pray tell me why are you being so particular, and what made you mention it over AD LIB / ROLAND MT-32 and any other video-game sound systems which were supposed to sound better?

BTW: Spore's soundtrack is driven by MIDI (kind of) in PureData (http://www.puredata.info) audio scripting language, something we use a lot at school. Doesn't sound like MIDI though, does it?

Just say shit sounds awful - it'll be infinitely more true, and way less pretentious. A good rule of thumb with any acronym is: if you don't know what all the letters stand for, you probably shouldn't be using it.

And Strell: I'm a master's student, not a "major."

[quote name='The Crotch']Man.

I miss Mario Colbert.[/quote]

That statement made me lose a lot of fucking respect for you.

Honestly, I thought you had good taste.

[quote name='MarioColbert']That statement made me lose a lot of fucking respect for you.

Honestly, I thought you had good taste.[/quote]
Thank you sir, may I have another?

[quote name='The Crotch']Thank you sir, may I have another?[/quote]

Yo. I'm still lurking, mostly, something others are in bad need of doing moar on these boards here.

MOTHER3 / WORLD OF GOO / BRAID
(will all be better than Wii Music - BAM, I just made my shit so topical!)

Dude, you heard about DS-bound rerelease of Fire Emblem 1 or something?

[quote name='ninja dog']shit sounds awful[/quote]
Shit sounds shit, but I enjoy shit. I devour it to fulfillment. I will wear my virtual dog suit while you cry, listening closely to the tunes of excrement.

I understand why some virtual folksies might not like this shit. It is shit to some and pleasurable secretion/excretion to others.

bread's done
Back