Wii on big screen Vs small screen

DeathDealer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I apoligize if theres already been a discussion, but...

I was wondering what kind of difference there would be using the controller on say a 52in compared to like a 20in. would you have to move your arm more? how would they accomadate for a smaller screen?
Would it be like using the eye toy and standing real close to the camera? like cheating almost, or will you still have to move your arm the same amount and the sensor will pick up the movement regardless of screen size?

Any thoughts?

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm wondering how this is going to work as well. I have a projector. Nearly 110" screen[/quote]

So when you want that pixel perfect accuracy of ripping an arrow into an octorok's mouth?

I thought that it was a sensor that you put below your TV to capture your movement. This makes it so it doesn't matter how big/small the screen is. It might depend on the distance you are from the sensor though.

[quote name='Magehart']Why keep speculating when in 2 months we'll know?[/QUOTE]

Because that is what the Wii forum is for: to discuss everything about the Wii.

Anyway, does anyone know what exactly will be picking up the Wiimote? Will it be your TV, the Wii itself, or some other sensor?

[quote name='Legolas813']Because that is what the Wii forum is for: to discuss everything about the Wii.

Anyway, does anyone know what exactly will be picking up the Wiimote? Will it be your TV, the Wii itself, or some other sensor?[/quote]

It's a sensor bar plugged into the Wii (for the pointer anyway, of course the signals for buttons and what-not are sent to the Wii via radio).

[quote name='allout1986']I thought that it was a sensor that you put below your TV to capture your movement. This makes it so it doesn't matter how big/small the screen is. It might depend on the distance you are from the sensor though.[/quote]

There is a sensor but of course you are gonna have to move your arm further out to point at something near one of the corners on a bigger screen than a smaller screen, and the other way around too, like aiming off the screen if you are playing in a really small tv. so does that mean you arent actually gonna be aiming directly at the object you will just move your arm and follow the crosshairs regardless of if you are aiming directly at the target?

[quote name='DeathDealer']There is a sensor but of course you are gonna have to move your arm further out to point at something near one of the corners on a bigger screen than a smaller screen, and the other way around too, like aiming off the screen if you are playing in a really small tv. so does that mean you arent actually gonna be aiming directly at the object you will just move your arm and follow the crosshairs regardless of if you are aiming directly at the target?[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense. It detects movement in relation to the sensor bar. It couldn't care less how big your TV is. It isn't a freaking light gun.

[quote name='Tromack']That makes no sense. It detects movement in relation to the sensor bar. It couldn't care less how big your TV is. It isn't a freaking light gun.[/quote]

Think about it, how does that not make sense? if it translates your movement onto the screen it definitely seems like screen size would matter, using a sensor. if you move your arm say 6" on a smaller screen it may only have to go 3" on screen to cover that distance, but on a really big tv that 6" movement will cover like 10".

I could understand thinking it doesnt matter and that nintendo will take care of it, but I think it definitely makes sense.

I don't see how TV size matters. The sensor is picking up your movement and translating it to the game. You would move your arm the same amount no matter how big the TV is. Right?

yeah you would probably move your arm the same amount but wouldnt taht mean you may or may not be aiming at what it is your trying to shoot? you would jsut be pointing wherever to get the crosshair where you want it.
Maybe im crazy. I dont see it as being a problem jsut seems like it might be weird.
does no one understand what I mean, regardless of if im right or wrong?

[quote name='DeathDealer']yeah you would probably move your arm the same amount but wouldnt taht mean you may or may not be aiming at what it is your trying to shoot? you would jsut be pointing wherever to get the crosshair where you want it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you are saying. That's what I'm concerned about.

[quote name='DeathDealer']yeah you would probably move your arm the same amount but wouldnt taht mean you may or may not be aiming at what it is your trying to shoot? you would jsut be pointing wherever to get the crosshair where you want it.
Maybe im crazy. I dont see it as being a problem jsut seems like it might be weird.
does no one understand what I mean, regardless of if im right or wrong?[/quote]

I think this is one way it could work, and work better than it sounds. Look at FPS on the PC. You move your mouse, and the crosshair moves in the same direction, a related distance. I think a Wiimote that functioned like a mouse in this way could become very natural, in a way other than just a lightgun.

The other, probably more likely way the thing will work is that when you boot up your Wii for the first time, it displays targets in the four corners of the screen (exactly like a DS). You "shoot" the targets, calibrating the Wiimote to the dimensions of your screen. Ta-da! Now it always knows where you're pointing, if the game wants to know.

Well that makes sense, I didnt even think about some type of calibration before starting the system. thats about the only logical thing there could be. thanks for that. I was gonna get a wii anyway, but I was curious about that. awesome.

[quote name='swarmster']

The other, probably more likely way the thing will work is that when you boot up your Wii for the first time, it displays targets in the four corners of the screen (exactly like a DS). You "shoot" the targets, calibrating the Wiimote to the dimensions of your screen. Ta-da! Now it always knows where you're pointing, if the game wants to know.[/QUOTE]

Man I hope that isn't the way it works... About every other time I play video games I switch out and play on a projector or on the bigscreen, depending on what time of day, etc. So that would equal up to a whole lot of calibrating. Nintendo hasn't really given us any details yet about that part of it so I guess we'll have to wait and see, tho...

And for the person who asked, the controller uses bluetooth to talk to the wii, giving the gyro/accel readings and button pushes and such. The sensor bar is only for picking up where exactly you are pointing the wii-mote(using a system of infared leds and a tiny camera inside the wii-mote). So, depending on the game, it could be just using the wii-mote(no pointing like in wii-sports) or both the wii-mote and the sensor bar(red steel).

Think of it like a mouse. If I move my mouse 1 inch on my desk, the pointer moves more than 1 inch on my screen. Also, the mouse doesn't know how big my monitor is. If I unplugged it right now, and plugged in a 6-inch monitor, the settings wouldn't change.

[quote name='willardhaven']Is anybody else starting to think they should just make more games for the gamecube instead?[/QUOTE]

hmmmmmmmmm...no.

[quote name='willardhaven']Is anybody else starting to think they should just make more games for the gamecube instead?[/QUOTE]I'm personally interested in seeing how well the Wii would do if it wasn't a new system, but instead an add-on for the Gamecube.

The WII control Scheme seems to be a variation of mouse and keyboard, not matter how big your monitor is you mouse moves almost the same, you can adjust mouse sensitivity so I figure you can do more of same on the wii. Another way of thinking for those who use cordless mouse, do you need to move the mouse more because it is cordless?

My Point is I really see the Wii controller as a cordless mouse and I think it will work the same. if you are using a laser/"balless" mouse, hold you mouse up form the desktop about 1 inch you can get an idea of how WII remote works I think, only the wii remote will be more sensitive.

[quote name='DeathDealer']Think about it, how does that not make sense? if it translates your movement onto the screen it definitely seems like screen size would matter, using a sensor. if you move your arm say 6" on a smaller screen it may only have to go 3" on screen to cover that distance, but on a really big tv that 6" movement will cover like 10".

I could understand thinking it doesnt matter and that nintendo will take care of it, but I think it definitely makes sense.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt make sense becasue the Wiimote isnt interacting with your screen, but rather the sensor bar which is placed under the TV in the center. As others have pointed out sensitivity will be adjustable (assumed of course, but the DS is adjustable) so you can either make it require a lot or a little motion.

That is what my question is regarding. If the wiimote isnt interacting with the screen then would you be aiming at an item on screen or just aiming where ever you need to aim to get the cross hair in the right place? how does that not make sense?

bread's done
Back