Wii or PSP for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
So this game sounds kind of cool, and has come down in price a bit...

Anyone know if the PSP and Wii versions are comparable? All things being equal I'd rather have a portable version, but it could be that the graphics are slightly better on the Wii one or something. Anyone know?

The graphics are definitely better on Wii.

I don't know how this plays on PSP, but it features some of the best motion control in a Wii game. You have to use your flashlight and answer your cellphone through the Wii Remote's speaker, look at various objects, and interact with them the way you would in real life. For example, if you want to open a locked door, you have to unbolt the door and turn the doorknob. If there's something in a coffee mug, you have to grab it and turn the Wii Remote upside down to turn it upside down in the game. I usually hate motion control in games, but it was really well done in this one.

Yeah I completely agree with the poster above me. I really enjoyed playing the game on the Wii, and the controls worked well. I haven't played the PSP version, but I'd imagine with only one analog nub and no motion controls, it wouldn't be as good.

Have to vote for the Wii version. It is a great game to play over the winter holiday and the console experience will suck you in.

Though it's been made pretty clear, go with the Wii version. It's a game that was very obviously designed for the Wii, and I've always gotten the sense that the PS2 and PSP versions only came about because Konami started to get cold feet about the Wii-exclusive thing.

Definitely the Wii.

I'll be different and say I liked the PSP version, but the complete lack of motion controls was the most appealing thing about the PSP version to me, so it's up to you. I will say as a big Silent Hill fan that I really did not care for the game at all though.

Enjoy flailing about during the nightmare sequences to get enemy (and yes, I mean that in the singular because there's only one enemy type in the game) off your back. If someone forced me at gunpoint to replay that game, I'd pick the PS2/PSP version so I wouldn't have to deal with that shit.

Not that the Wii version needs another vote, but I really appreciated the thought that went into the motion controls. I honestly wondered frequently throughout playing how it could possibly be ported to other systems. Haven't played any other Wii game where the motion control actually seemed necessary to the gameplay.

^ That.

It's a good point to make about the game, and I think that the one PSP/PS2 guy makes it clear... this is a game that works BECAUSE of the motion controls. Weirdly, I'd described more as an interactive story than a game, as there are very few elements (the nightmare sequences) that really have the hallmarks of a traditional game. I get the sense that the game didn't do all that well, but it makes sense since this is honestly not a game for everyone. It's really tough to describe what this truly is, as it defies the usual categorization, so go into it knowing that.

Personally, I loved it *because* it was different. It was the Silent Hill I knew and loved, but it was something new and very, very different. I found it fairly refreshing.

Bottom line, again, is that the motion controls are a huge part of the this game, and I'd go so far as to assert that you won't enjoy it nearly as much without them. As the above poster said, it's tough to name a game where it's implemented as well.

Dang, I really appreciate all the feedback and am STILL very unsure LOL.

"Motion" stuff does annoy me 99% of the time, though here it sounds potentially interesting (and annoying).

The game besides that does interest me because of it's different-ness. Might night like it, but at least it's piqued my interest :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, I really appreciate all the feedback and am STILL very unsure LOL.

"Motion" stuff does annoy me 99% of the time, though here it sounds potentially interesting (and annoying).

The game besides that does interest me because of it's different-ness. Might night like it, but at least it's piqued my interest :)[/QUOTE]

I realize I've already posted too much here, but I'll just say this... the only 'annoying' motion parts are the nightmare sequences and, frankly, those are annoying with or without the motion controls. I'd say, at best, they're maybe only 25% of the game, though.

Okay, after reading the 1up reviews and hearing you guys, here's what I'm getting...

The concept still sounds awesome (and I'd forgotten about and love the psychiatrist angle, and the sexual stuff!)

-Graphics-better lighting effects on the Wii, and the PSP version can chug a bit sometimes when running fast through doors
-Wii has direct control of the camera, which is apparently fun, but it's much harder to throw off enemies, taking multiple attempts to get them to throw off, while on the PSP you just press the buttons it tells you.

So...I'd like the better graphics, but the controls sound better on the PSP overall to me, and it's part of that Amazon sale... seeing how I can piece together orders on Amazon right now :lol:

bread's done
Back